2017-18 Golden Gophers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots

2017-18 Golden Gophers

Post by BodyShots » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:17 pm

What jumps out at you about this lineup?
Do Lindgren and Novak recover from their injuries?
Does Nanne get playing time at defense?
Which Freshman make significant impacts to this years team?
I'm going to miss Cammy.... NOT.

No. / Name / Pos. / Ht. / Wt. / Yr. / Hometown (High School)

18 Bristedt, Leon Forward 5-8 189 SR Stockholm, Sweden
10 Gates Jr., Brent Forward 6-2 198 JR Grand Rapids, Mich.
3 Glover, Jack Defense 6-3 202 SR Golden Valley, Minn. (Benilde-St. Margaret's)
4 Johnson, Steve Defense 6-1 190 SR Excelsior, Minn. (Minnetonka)
1 Kautz, Brock Goalie 6-0 199 JR Rochester, Minn. (Rochester Century)
24 Knoepke, Nate Defense 6-3 201 FR Farmington, Minn. (Lakeville South)
34 Lehr, Nick Goalie 5-11 178 SR Roseville, Minn. (Roseville)
5 Lindgren, Ryan Defense 6-0 201 SO Minneapolis, Minn. (Shattuck-St. Mary's)
12 Marooney, Joey Forward 5-9 166 SO Chaska, Minn. (Holy Family Catholic)
7 McManus, Brannon Forward 5-10 179 FR Newport Beach, Calif. (Shattuck-St. Mary's)
21 Mittelstadt, Casey Forward 6-0 201 FR Eden Prairie, Minn. (Eden Prairie)
13 Munson, Cullen Forward 5-11 181 FR Edina, Minn. (Edina)
29 Nanne, Tyler Defense 6-0 186 SO Edina, Minn. (Edina)
23 Norman, Ryan Forward 5-10 185 JR Maplewood, Minn. (Shattuck-St. Mary's)
11 Notermann, Luke Forward 5-11 177 SO Blaine, Minn. (Blaine)
17 Novak, Tommy Forward 6-1 195 JR River Falls, Wis. (St. Thomas Academy)
15 Pitlick, Rem Forward 5-10 205 SO Plymouth, Minn. (Shattuck-St. Mary's)
16 Ramsey, Jack Forward 6-3 196 JR Chanhassen, Minn. (Minnetonka)
19 Reedy, Scott Forward 6-1 203 FR Prior Lake, Minn. (Shattuck-St. Mary's)
40 Robson, Mat Goalie 6-2 170 Toronto, On.
26 Romanko, Darian Forward 6-1 204 JR Shoreview, Minn. (Mounds View)
28 Rossini, Sam Defense 6-3 198 FR Burnsville, Minn. (Burnsville)
2 Sadek, Jack Defense 6-2 197 JR Lakeville, Minn. (Lakeville North)
37 Schierhorn, Eric Goalie 6-0 195 JR Anchorage, Alaska (Shattuck-St. Mary's)
22 Sheehy, Tyler Forward 5-10 186 JR Burnsville, Minn. (Burnsville)
9 Szmatula, Mike Forward 5-9 184 SR Commerce Township, Mich. (St. Mary's Prep (Mich.))
20 Zuhlsdorf, Ryan Defense 6-0 192 SO Edina, Minn. (Edina)

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Schierhorn has had 2 very good, and at times, unbelievable seasons. I look for him to be huge this year. He's a little underrated for how good he is.

Hoping for the best as far as Novak and Lindgren go. Coming back from serious injury is tough at this level. The Gophs really need them back strong.

Same for Nanne. I hope he gets a chance to shine for the Maroon and Gold.

Freshmen who can impact early- Mittlestadt and McMannus are 2 that stand out for me. Casey is going to be good at every level. He is just that kind of player. McMannus was key for the Steel winning the USHL Championship. Gotta like that.

With guys like Bristedt and Pittlick and Gates the Gophers should be able to put up some goals. If someone can step up and anchor the point on the PP these guys will be fun to watch. They always have some firepower but it looks like quite a lot, at least on paper, this year.

Looking forward to the season.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Lots of views, but very few comments. Come on folks, lets hear ya!

The Don is really branching out with this squad. A Swede, Canuck, Alaskan, Cali, and a couple of Michigan boys. He's also heavily recruiting the Shattuck kids with six on this team.

Comments?

Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:59 am

Not sure if I am on the right forum, but looking at the seniors that graduated this year I have yet to find out where Taylor Cammarata ended up at. I know he was given a amateur tryout with the Islanders, but from there I cannot find anything. Anyone have any info?

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:47 pm

Grandpa is going to have to pull out all the strings to get grandkid playing time.

The fact that he's even on the team is a joke.

So never underestimate the power of the Lou :roll:

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Looking at the schedule I noticed that it only shows radio coverage for the Gophers/ North Dakota series in Grand Forks in October.

I hope that means it is undecided which tv network will be covering it. I already gave up on the NFL. I'd hate to quit following hockey too.

Seriously though, how can that series not be on TV?

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 am

Any see the game on Sunday? I'm curious who they have Mittelstadt with as line mates?

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:56 pm

The little bit I followed on the internet seemed to have Mittlestadt out there with Reedy and Bristedt. Not sure how much of the game was that way though.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:02 am

Now I see that the Gopher series at Grand Forks is on Midco TV. That channel is viewed in North and South Dakota as well as NW Minnesota. I find it hard to believe that the series wouldn't warrant a little more geographic coverage.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:40 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Now I see that the Gopher series at Grand Forks is on Midco TV. That channel is viewed in North and South Dakota as well as NW Minnesota. I find it hard to believe that the series wouldn't warrant a little more geographic coverage.
That is up to the folks at Fox Sports North. Completely their decision. They could even opt to take the Midco Feed if they wanted.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Schotzy wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:Now I see that the Gopher series at Grand Forks is on Midco TV. That channel is viewed in North and South Dakota as well as NW Minnesota. I find it hard to believe that the series wouldn't warrant a little more geographic coverage.
That is up to the folks at Fox Sports North. Completely their decision. They could even opt to take the Midco Feed if they wanted.
I can't imagine that they wouldn't want to show that series. It's like Packers/ Vikings. Is Midco affiliated with FSN?

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 pm

I heard its out of FSN's hands. Both Duluth's MY9 (games last weekend) and Midco (ND series) won't let them have access to it.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:39 am

BodyShots wrote:I heard its out of FSN's hands. Both Duluth's MY9 (games last weekend) and Midco (ND series) won't let them have access to it.
Then they wonder why the fans lose interest. There was nothing but bitching and moaning for 5 years because that series was interrupted and now that the Gophers are going to Grand Forks very few in the hockey world will have access to it.

The media in this country isn't as important as they think. You would figure they would be starting to catch on to that.

GatorLand

Post by GatorLand » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Gophers looked good, but got outplayed by number 11 ranked Penn State. Just wondering why there were all the open seats? is interest in Men's Gopher hockey dying❓ No Vikings, Twins, Lynx, Wild, or FC United to compete against tonight. Maybe Gopher faithful are just waiting for Sunday's game to support their team.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:46 am

GatorLand wrote:Gophers looked good, but got outplayed by number 11 ranked Penn State. Just wondering why there were all the open seats? is interest in Men's Gopher hockey dying❓ No Vikings, Twins, Lynx, Wild, or FC United to compete against tonight. Maybe Gopher faithful are just waiting for Sunday's game to support their team.
Agree that the Gophers looked okay at times last night. Mittlestadt is a huge difference maker already. I doubt he is a college player next year. Bristedt's penalty was a back breaker. I noticed a ton of empty seats also. Not sure if that is typical mid October or not.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 am

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:54 pm

They were lucky if they had 5,000 people in the building on Sunday. Interest in Gopher men's hockey has definitely dropped.

Comments on the game:

Nanne scares the crap out of me in the defensive zone. He wanders all over the place with no regard to position.

Mittelstadt is the real deal. The kid has hands and vision like no others. The Don is going to get as much out of him as he can, in his one year of college hockey. He played a regular shift on top of PP and PK.

The future is bright if players stay. The senior class is by far the weakest of the group. Of course, I didn't get to see Bristedt due to his suspension.

Based on attendance decline, I think the U needs to make a change at the top. Sorry Don, but its time to go.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:30 pm

BodyShots wrote:They were lucky if they had 5,000 people in the building on Sunday. Interest in Gopher men's hockey has definitely dropped.

Comments on the game:

Nanne scares the crap out of me in the defensive zone. He wanders all over the place with no regard to position.

Mittelstadt is the real deal. The kid has hands and vision like no others. The Don is going to get as much out of him as he can, in his one year of college hockey. He played a regular shift on top of PP and PK.

The future is bright if players stay. The senior class is by far the weakest of the group. Of course, I didn't get to see Bristedt due to his suspension.

Based on attendance decline, I think the U needs to make a change at the top. Sorry Don, but its time to go.
Nanne has no business being there.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:32 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:I heard its out of FSN's hands. Both Duluth's MY9 (games last weekend) and Midco (ND series) won't let them have access to it.
Then they wonder why the fans lose interest. There was nothing but bitching and moaning for 5 years because that series was interrupted and now that the Gophers are going to Grand Forks very few in the hockey world will have access to it.

The media in this country isn't as important as they think. You would figure they would be starting to catch on to that.
As long as the NCAA/schools keep making big bucks via tv contracts, they could care less about measly ticket sales.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:16 am

I can understand that ticket sales are not as important as TV contracts. I also get why the U had a ton of empty seats for a game against Penn State when it started in the 4th quarter of a Packer/Viking game. The series in Grand Forks is quite a bit different though. There won't be a ticket available for that series and it would definitely draw viewers from a much larger region than Midco will be able to provide for.
I would think that the more TV viewers they have would equate to more revenue for NCAA hockey now and in the future.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:21 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I can understand that ticket sales are not as important as TV contracts. I also get why the U had a ton of empty seats for a game against Penn State when it started in the 4th quarter of a Packer/Viking game. The series in Grand Forks is quite a bit different though. There won't be a ticket available for that series and it would definitely draw viewers from a much larger region than Midco will be able to provide for.
I would think that the more TV viewers they have would equate to more revenue for NCAA hockey now and in the future.
Very true.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:16 pm

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:I can understand that ticket sales are not as important as TV contracts. I also get why the U had a ton of empty seats for a game against Penn State when it started in the 4th quarter of a Packer/Viking game. The series in Grand Forks is quite a bit different though. There won't be a ticket available for that series and it would definitely draw viewers from a much larger region than Midco will be able to provide for.
Very true.
I am really just venting because I didn't get to see UMD and UND all over some networks having a whizzing contest with each other.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:58 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
Very true.
I am really just venting because I didn't get to see UMD and UND all over some networks having a whizzing contest with each other.
I hear ya. Gotten worse the last few years, and will only continue to do so.

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:19 am

Mediacom is streaming the game from MidCo now. I am really hoping that FSN figures something out. I can't believe this is a game that wouldn't be televised in the metro area.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 pm

OMG was Schierhorn good tonight. That was NCAA at its best.