State of Girls Hockey 2017/18

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

itsfoilcoach

State of Girls Hockey 2017/18

Post by itsfoilcoach » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:26 pm

I’ll throw out the first topic of the season... Looking over the list of graduates the talent pool was pretty significant. From some solid defense, to some great forwards that can light the lamp, as well as assist in the play. Thoughts on what this year could look like, and who we should look to be a force on the ice? Is there another Zumwinkle out there? Over all thoughts on a rebuilding year for the talent pool in girls hockey, or will this years crew be just as strong? Looking over the leadership totals from last year it could be a tall order. I notice that some of the big guns lost last year are reflected in the SOS some of these coaches put together. They don’t seem as confident in their talent pool. Thoughts anyone...
Last edited by itsfoilcoach on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:39 pm

Players to watch? Check out the ELITE league teams...I am curious what teams you think softened their schedule because of graduation.

massalsa

Re: State of Girls Hockey 2017/18

Post by massalsa » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:29 pm

itsfoilcoach wrote:I’ll throw out the first topic of the season... Looking over the list of graduates the talent pool was pretty significant.

Is there another Zumwinkle out there?

Over all thoughts on a rebuilding year for the talent pool in girls hockey, or will this years crew be just as strong?

I notice that some of the big guns lost last year are reflected in the SOS some of these coaches put together.

Thoughts anyone...
YAY lets talk girls hockey!!! In order I will address below:

1. I believe that T Heise is a player without the bomb-shot of Zum but all of the impact and will be Miss Hockey. She is worth the price of admission EVERY time she plays and being out of the hockey factory that is Red Wing HS (haha...not) she is both a dominant force at the HS level and also nationally when playing against other elite players across North America. Another player that is dominating and a senior that should be in the discussion is Gabbie Hughes. I think that she is going to score a ton of goals and is the greatest competitor for Miss Hockey. She plays a much harder schedule than Heise and she could definitely win Miss Hockey if she was a Gopher recruit. I believe that there is bias towards others that are NOT Gophers. She would have had NO chance if UND was still playing (she was committed there) but UMD helps some.

2. I think that both the class of 18 and the class of 19 are just as strong and maybe stronger than the class of 17. I am fairly confident that the 20's will be solid (but may be down some from 18/19) but have heard from a few people that I respect that with the 21 class there may be some drop off.

3. I think that there are a couple of teams that will definitely be down from last year but you have to move Forest Lake and Andover up significantly. Hill Murray, Edina, & Blake will all be great again this year. Also look for improvement from WBL, CDH, and Brainerd.

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:56 pm

massalsa wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:I’ll throw out the first topic of the season... Looking over the list of graduates the talent pool was pretty significant.

Is there another Zumwinkle out there?

Over all thoughts on a rebuilding year for the talent pool in girls hockey, or will this years crew be just as strong?

I notice that some of the big guns lost last year are reflected in the SOS some of these coaches put together.

Thoughts anyone...
YAY lets talk girls hockey!!! In order I will address below:

1. I believe that T Heise is a player without the bomb-shot of Zum but all of the impact and will be Miss Hockey. She is worth the price of admission EVERY time she plays and being out of the hockey factory that is Red Wing HS (haha...not) she is both a dominant force at the HS level and also nationally when playing against other elite players across North America. Another player that is dominating and a senior that should be in the discussion is Gabbie Hughes. I think that she is going to score a ton of goals and is the greatest competitor for Miss Hockey. She plays a much harder schedule than Heise and she could definitely win Miss Hockey if she was a Gopher recruit. I believe that there is bias towards others that are NOT Gophers. She would have had NO chance if UND was still playing (she was committed there) but UMD helps some.

2. I think that both the class of 18 and the class of 19 are just as strong and maybe stronger than the class of 17. I am fairly confident that the 20's will be solid (but may be down some from 18/19) but have heard from a few people that I respect that with the 21 class there may be some drop off.

3. I think that there are a couple of teams that will definitely be down from last year but you have to move Forest Lake and Andover up significantly. Hill Murray, Edina, & Blake will all be great again this year. Also look for improvement from WBL, CDH, and Brainerd.

Holy Crap. I cant even argue on my first reply... I have to say spot on. There is a definite biased. Frankly I cant believe Gabbie didn't get a look from the U of M , or an out east team... Maybe she did I don't know. UND just seems like a odd choice. She's a great kid on the ice, as well as off.

Wait, Miss Hockey isn't just based on the players attributes and community involvement, but on some outside influences or biasness ? Say it isn't so...

I agree on Point 2 as well. Dang you started the season on a high note.

Forest Lake should do very well this year. Hill should do all right as well with some puck luck, and their goaltending can stand the test? Blake lost a few key players, but are they ever not good. Will see as the season unfolds. Anything less than a 2nd place finish would be a disappointment for them. So again spot on.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Of the 1999's, many good ones were on the MN U18 list from the Spring CCM NIT festival:
http://www.minnesotahockey.org/page/sho ... nesota-18u
Skaja, Hughes, Linser, Oelkers, Levis, Hanley, Butorac, Hengler are on that list. They beat-up the Seniors pretty good. Though it was basically exhibition, the seniors came to play for the Sunday game, and still couldn't keep up with the Juniors. Several of the above also played on the U18 USA World Championship Team back in January.

Of the 2000's, you have Heise of course. I don't know their birth year, but others of note are Anderson (Eagan), Bizal (Elk River), Boreen (HM), Burke (United), Fidler (Edina), McClanahan (Blake), McMahon (Maple Grove), Oden (Edina), and Rosenthal (Blaine). Sorry for those whom I forgot.

In the north metro area, obviously Blaine and Maple Grove lost a lot of key players. They still have a few very good ones hanging around. Blaine's goalie, O'Brien, is one of the best in the state. She can win games on her own. Rosenthal and Parent will score a lot of goals for Blaine, they just need some new defenseman to step up. Centennial returns many, including Hughes and Linser. That combo is pretty much identical in scoring to Blaine's duo, but a bit better. But they'll need their defense and goalie situation to step up. Maple Grove returns Denecke, McMahon, Martinez, and Pias, but lost both of their awesome goalie, and obviously Wente was a big loss.

WBL will be a team to watch. They should make a jump win-loss wise going from 17-11-0 to 21-22 wins if they make it through sections. I won't be surprised if they're ranked #1 when sections start, right up there with Forest Lake and Edina and Hill. All four could be your top 4 at the start of section play.

Nope, I haven't forgotten Andover in the north metro. They have the scoring, and a good goalie, but their defense must improve. They should easily jump from 11 wins up toward 17 or 18 wins by the end of section play. Elk River may have lost too many top players to be as good as they were last regular season. 4 of their top 8 graduated. Farmington returns all their top players in the south metro and will be in the top 10 all season.