FollowThePuck GIRLS...

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

massalsa

FollowThePuck GIRLS...

Post by massalsa » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:22 am

As a fan of girls hockey there are NOT many sources of semi interesting and changing content out there. FTP Girls at least in the twitter universe has provided a lot of content already in its couple of months that I have been aware of them. I added it to my old person twitter feed once my daughter showed it to me.

Great job so far whomever you are FTP Girls twitter...

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:41 am

FTP Girls preseason Top 20 AA & A (the first I have seen):

AA:
1. Edina
2. Hill-Murray
3. Blake
4. Brainerd/LF
5. FLAKE
6. Centennial
7. Blaine
8. CDH
9. Rogers
10. Maple Grove
11. WBL
12. Moundsview
13. Eastridge
14. Elk River
15. Roseau
16. Princeton
17. Farmington
18. Eagan
19. Lakeville North
20. Lakeville South

A:

1. Breck
2. EGF
3. Warroad
4. Delano/Rockford
5. TRF
6. SPU
7. New Ulm
8. Red Wing
9. Proctor/Hermantown
10. Hutchinson
11. Fergus
12. Alexandria
13. Northern Lakes
14. Moose Lake
15. SSP
16. Faribault
17. Intl Falls
18. Duluth Marshall
19. Mound/Westonka
20. Mankato East

j4241

Post by j4241 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:22 pm

Could not agree more! Very cool that the girls game is being celebrated - and FTP is doing a nice job.

It's pretty amazing to think of how spoiled those of us who love the game are by the role MN girls high school hockey plays in the sport. This may be the highest concentration of absolutely world-class talent of any sport in any single region in the world. Where else can you count on seeing, objectively, unquestionably some of the best players in the world for an age group in multiple contests on the same night? Unlike the boys high school game - this is all of the best - no one (or very few) leave high school teams chasing anything. It's a fast game, a high skill game (made more so than the boys game, in some ways, by eliminating blow-up checks), and fun to watch. If you don't find yourself on the edge of your seat watching some of these early upcoming games - Hill Murray vs. Blake on November 10 is one that I'm looking forward to - you just don't love the game. And I know we all do!

I am looking forward to watching some great hockey this winter, and grateful for the girls across the state letting us watch these performances. It's a privilege to play this great game, and a privilege to watch great athletes play it. But I'm also grateful to FTP for helping me stay on top not only of the teams I follow closely, but other great teams and athletes across the state. Good luck to all the teams for a safe and fun season!

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:33 pm

massalsa wrote:FTP Girls preseason Top 20 AA & A (the first I have seen):

AA:

12. Moundsview
13. Eastridge
15. Roseau
16. Princeton
17. Farmington
18. Eagan
19. Lakeville North
20. Lakeville South

A:

1. Breck
2. EGF
3. Warroad
4. Delano/Rockford
5. TRF
6. SPU
I think unranked EP, Tonka, and Wayzata would have a .500 or better record against the field at AA above...

Also think that SPU will better than EGF, Warroad, Delano, and TRF.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:22 pm

1. BLAKE ....team may be better this year, Bizal loss hurts but having 3-time state champ goalie ain't bad
2. EDINA....lost 5 important players but still very strong
3. CENT....basically entire team back with best forward duo in the state
4. H-M...might be better than last year but then again maybe not
5. FARM...team intact from last year, with good forwards
6. MG...if new goalie works out, could be surprisingly strong
7. FLAKE...strong grinding style team..
8. CDH...lots of returners....
9. ROSEAU...well coached, plays tough
10. Blaine..probably best of the remaining teams,but, not by much

11-20

ER/Z,WBL,B/LF,Lvl N,EAGAN,MV,Lvl S,EP, TONKA,?

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:42 pm

massalsa wrote:FTP Girls preseason Top 20 AA & A (the first I have seen):

AA:
1. Edina
2. Hill-Murray
3. Blake
4. Brainerd/LF
5. FLAKE
6. Centennial
7. Blaine
8. CDH
9. Rogers
10. Maple Grove
11. WBL
12. Moundsview
13. Eastridge
14. Elk River
15. Roseau
16. Princeton
17. Farmington
18. Eagan
19. Lakeville North
20. Lakeville South

A:

1. Breck
2. EGF
3. Warroad
4. Delano/Rockford
5. TRF
6. SPU
7. New Ulm
8. Red Wing
9. Proctor/Hermantown
10. Hutchinson
11. Fergus
12. Alexandria
13. Northern Lakes
14. Moose Lake
15. SSP
16. Faribault
17. Intl Falls
18. Duluth Marshall
19. Mound/Westonka
20. Mankato East
Man I shouldn't of had my mouth full of dinner when I read this... Both A or AA side are wacked. But its never to early to have a laugh I say.

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:43 pm

j4241 wrote:Could not agree more! Very cool that the girls game is being celebrated - and FTP is doing a nice job.

It's pretty amazing to think of how spoiled those of us who love the game are by the role MN girls high school hockey plays in the sport. This may be the highest concentration of absolutely world-class talent of any sport in any single region in the world. Where else can you count on seeing, objectively, unquestionably some of the best players in the world for an age group in multiple contests on the same night? Unlike the boys high school game - this is all of the best - no one (or very few) leave high school teams chasing anything. It's a fast game, a high skill game (made more so than the boys game, in some ways, by eliminating blow-up checks), and fun to watch. If you don't find yourself on the edge of your seat watching some of these early upcoming games - Hill Murray vs. Blake on November 10 is one that I'm looking forward to - you just don't love the game. And I know we all do!

I am looking forward to watching some great hockey this winter, and grateful for the girls across the state letting us watch these performances. It's a privilege to play this great game, and a privilege to watch great athletes play it. But I'm also grateful to FTP for helping me stay on top not only of the teams I follow closely, but other great teams and athletes across the state. Good luck to all the teams for a safe and fun season!
Perfectly said j4241.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:56 am

itsfoilcoach wrote:
j4241 wrote:Could not agree more! Very cool that the girls game is being celebrated - and FTP is doing a nice job.

Perfectly said j4241.
Ok... wow... where to start? I absolutely love watching girls high school hockey in MN, and yes, MN dominates this emerging sport. However, to compare it to MN boys high school hockey at this point in terms of skills is ridiculous. The boys game is so established that we see HUNDREDS and hundreds of highly skilled quality players who are either D1 material, or so damned close. The boys game is established across the nation and even though MN leads the pack, there are just so many highly skilled players that many awesome players from MN just can't advance. I have a son and daughter who play high school hockey, and I support both sports 100%. That being said, I watch some girls high school players who advance to DI, and scratch my head. The talent pool is just not too deep yet. It gets better every year, but no where near the level of the boys. The girls game is way ahead of the rest of the country, but lets not get silly and make comments that it even begins to outshine the boys... yet. Give it time.

More importantly, do not sit pat on MN girls hockey. The sport is reaching it's peak and is at a crucial crossroads. Many youth associations are letting their girls program fade already. Outstate MN suffers from boards who focus primarily on the boys side and girls programs are dying. Metro programs cant wait to co-op in order to win now (or free up ice time), instead of beefing up their own girls programs. The girls game is in a very precarious situation, and beating our chests that we dominate, only leads to a false sense of security that we are fine. UND dropping womens hockey should be a HUGE warning shot across our bow. Those of us who have benefited from the recent rise of MN girls hockey need to help ensure that the sport continues to grow. My kids have been out of youth hockey for 2 years, but I still sit on the board and hockey committee to make sure the girls are not left behind. It's an uphill battle throughout the state and it takes passionate leaders to continue to push this forward.