Preseason Podcast 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Preseason Podcast 2017-2018

Post by karl(east) » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Danny, Tony, and I give you an hour of preseason talk:

http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_arti ... ferrer_id=

Highlights include:
-My AA (and A!) top 10
-Me not sounding like I'm talking through a tin can
-Danny's preseason Mr. Hockey finalists
-All of us being shameless homers (though I should have pressed the issue on the Mr. Hockey finalists more...)
-Games of the week
-The usual blather and name-calling

kniven

Re: Preseason Podcast 2017-2018

Post by kniven » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:25 pm

karl(east) wrote:Danny, Tony, and I give you an hour of preseason talk:

Highlights include:
-My AA (and A!) top 10
-All of us being shameless homers (though I should have pressed the issue on the Mr. Hockey finalists more...)
-Games of the week
Sounds great boys!! Karl East! We can actually hear you =) Great show boys!!!!!!!

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:32 am

Highlights include:
-My AA (and A!) top 10
-Games of the week
-And absolutely horrendous coverage of class A hockey.. (listen back to the 6 min)

Tens of thousands are very interested in Class A hockey, but the business plan seems to be to mock and groan.. Bad business plan.. I know it's tough to understand since you're from AA programs, but there's the same passion for the game from people in Class A.

Just a FYI...

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:11 am

sleeping on Century in 1AA. Going to have a good core group of kids coming up from the bantam AA team.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:42 am

Nice job of underselling the Hounds, Karl. This team will easily compete with Edina, and too bad the clubs would not meet unless each gets to State.

blueline8

Post by blueline8 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:50 am

MrBoDangles wrote:

Highlights include:
-My AA (and A!) top 10
-Games of the week
-And absolutely horrendous coverage of class A hockey.. (listen back to the 6 min)

Tens of thousands are very interested in Class A hockey, but the business plan seems to be to mock and groan.. Bad business plan.. I know it's tough to understand since you're from AA programs, but there's the same passion for the game from people in Class A.

Just a FYI...
Couldn't agree more. I listened to the podcast and have usually listened in the past but the tone, attitude and downright disrespect for teams/players that aren't their flavor of the day is astounding. There are a couple thousand kids all over the state that have worked very hard for years to get to play varsity hockey. Maybe they won't get mentions in your podcasts, but you don't need to put them down either. Really poor coverage.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am

More like 10's of hundreds similar to the actual attendance of State A games. No offense to A programs or players. I think Bo put it well. Could it be covered more in depth? Sure. When u have essentially 2-3 programs dominating year in and year out, with one program being number 1 for ten straight years, how much is there to say? Maybe you guys should start your own podcast it's super easy. If you build it they will come. Hopefully this year and near future years will give the guys more to talk about with the sandbaggers being in a somewhat down period. Until then boys give ur balls a tug and don't start a tilly.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:46 am

edgeless2 wrote:More like 10's of hundreds similar to the actual attendance of State A games. No offense to A programs or players. I think Bo put it well. Could it be covered more in depth? Sure. When u have essentially 2-3 programs dominating year in and year out, with one program being number 1 for ten straight years, how much is there to say? Maybe you guys should start your own podcast it's super easy. If you build it they will come. Hopefully this year and near future years will give the guys more to talk about with the sandbaggers being in a somewhat down period. Until then boys give ur balls a tug and don't start a tilly.
Agreed! :). You can’t satisfy everybody. Totally agree on your single A take. Start your own single A podcast. That’s a great idea - or don’t listen :). The rarely say what I want to hear either, but I don’t want to start my own podcast cause nobody would listen.

blueline8

Post by blueline8 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 am

edgeless2 wrote:More like 10's of hundreds similar to the actual attendance of State A games. No offense to A programs or players. I think Bo put it well. Could it be covered more in depth? Sure. When u have essentially 2-3 programs dominating year in and year out, with one program being number 1 for ten straight years, how much is there to say? Maybe you guys should start your own podcast it's super easy. If you build it they will come. Hopefully this year and near future years will give the guys more to talk about with the sandbaggers being in a somewhat down period. Until then boys give ur balls a tug and don't start a tilly.
Sounds like a nerve was hit. My point was about the disrespect shown the vast majority of teams in the state.Listen to the podcast again. They aren't worthy of anything but "next!" or worse. The fact is that to comment on something other than your comfort zone requires some work. Hockey is and always has been proud of the respect and class players/coaches have shown towards each other. Take a page out of that book.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:17 am

blueline8 wrote:
Sounds like a nerve was hit. My point was about the disrespect shown the vast majority of teams in the state.Listen to the podcast again. They aren't worthy of anything but "next!" or worse. The fact is that to comment on something other than your comfort zone requires some work. Hockey is and always has been proud of the respect and class players/coaches have shown towards each other. Take a page out of that book.
I don't think it's a lack of respect. People have a lot of respect for the 99% of legit class A teams that take the ice with the kids from their Community. Unfortunately, one program that chooses another path ruins it for everyone so there just isn't any interest. Sad but true.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:18 am

Agree to disagree :). I thought the podcast was awesome! The fact that these three do this for free basically and outside of their full-time busy lives. Thank you for your time boys! Talk about whatever you want. I respect what you do :)

blueline8

Post by blueline8 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am

kniven wrote:Agree to disagree :). I thought the podcast was awesome! The fact that these three do this for free basically and outside of their full-time busy lives. Thank you for your time boys! Talk about whatever you want. I respect what you do :)
They are big boys and can take some criticism I think. We are all free to state our opinions and don't have to agree. My point is on the clearly poor attitude and worse towards teams not in the spotlight. Its too bad and detracts from the whole presentation and the game.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:44 am

kniven wrote:Agree to disagree :). I thought the podcast was awesome! The fact that these three do this for free basically and outside of their full-time busy lives. Thank you for your time boys! Talk about whatever you want. I respect what you do :)
But you would see it as totally lame, if you were from Virginia, Monticello, Warroad and Mahtomedi.. You can lick their toe jam all you want, but unlike them, I think you're still stuck in the fog..

:idea:

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45 am

blueline8 wrote:
They are big boys and can take some criticism I think. We are all free to state our opinions and don't have to agree. My point is on the clearly poor attitude and worse towards teams not in the spotlight. Its too bad and detracts from the whole presentation and the game.
👍 :idea:

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:18 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
blueline8 wrote:
👍 :idea:
I heard both Warroad and Mahtomedi mentioned in a positive light on this podcast. I don't see it boys. Only solution I could think of is a separate Class A podcast as it's tough enough at 60 minutes as it is. I'm pretty sure if the demand was there, it would get done. Seems like a mute point.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:33 pm

The criticism is welcome, and not invalid. Our mistake in this one was probably in doing all that AA stuff first, leaving us in a time crunch by the time we got to Class A, which led to some glib dismissals in the interest of moving things along. (Though realize this is also a somewhat an offshoot of an intentional style choice, as being annoyingly opinionated sets up the in-season apology segment well.) I think we did devote some good time to many of the less heralded AA programs that may make some noise this year, which is of course an intentional push to share the spotlight elsewhere. We just didn't have much time for that in A on this one. One of the more interesting aspects of doing a podcast is the stuff you don't hear--the hour-plus of prep talk beforehand, our methods of cuing one another and moving things along (especially when I'm on the phone and can't see Tony or Danny), and knowing you have more to say on something but swallowing it because we know we'll never get to everything otherwise. (Or I do, at least. Tony, not so much. :P )

(Unless there's genuine interest in an hour and a half-long podcast? We could certainly do that if there's an audience, but also remember that this board membership's willingness to listen to that much HS hockey talk may not be representative of our somewhat broader listening audience...)

One of my goals here, and I think I speak for Tony and Danny as well, is that we do try to cover all corners of the state, and not just descend into being the Lake Conference Radio Network, which is a risk some people have run over the years. We try to go to some games that others don't, and also highlight some players who aren't household names--something that our new sponsor this season will help us highlight. Also, I don't want this to come off as an excuse because it is our "job" to know these things, but ranking and predicting Class A (beyond the usual top few teams, and even that is different this season) is, in my opinion, a lot harder than AA. Doing justice to everyone who is relevant, especially in some of the more open sections, could take a ton of time. But, point taken, and we'll add some additional Class A talk in the next one. At the very least, I think there are some broad themes that I'd like to talk about. (What's the future of Class A with so many private schools now up in AA? Were last season's competitive quarterfinals a fluke or the new norm? etc. etc.)

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:17 pm

karl(east) wrote:The criticism is welcome, and not invalid. Our mistake in this one was probably in doing all that AA stuff first, leaving us in a time crunch by the time we got to Class A, which led to some glib dismissals in the interest of moving things along. (Though realize this is also a somewhat an offshoot of an intentional style choice, as being annoyingly opinionated sets up the in-season apology segment well.) I think we did devote some good time to many of the less heralded AA programs that may make some noise this year, which is of course an intentional push to share the spotlight elsewhere. We just didn't have much time for that in A on this one. One of the more interesting aspects of doing a podcast is the stuff you don't hear--the hour-plus of prep talk beforehand, our methods of cuing one another and moving things along (especially when I'm on the phone and can't see Tony or Danny), and knowing you have more to say on something but swallowing it because we know we'll never get to everything otherwise. (Or I do, at least. Tony, not so much. :P )

(Unless there's genuine interest in an hour and a half-long podcast? We could certainly do that if there's an audience, but also remember that this board membership's willingness to listen to that much HS hockey talk may not be representative of our somewhat broader listening audience...)

One of my goals here, and I think I speak for Tony and Danny as well, is that we do try to cover all corners of the state, and not just descend into being the Lake Conference Radio Network, which is a risk some people have run over the years. We try to go to some games that others don't, and also highlight some players who aren't household names--something that our new sponsor this season will help us highlight. Also, I don't want this to come off as an excuse because it is our "job" to know these things, but ranking and predicting Class A (beyond the usual top few teams, and even that is different this season) is, in my opinion, a lot harder than AA. Doing justice to everyone who is relevant, especially in some of the more open sections, could take a ton of time. But, point taken, and we'll add some additional Class A talk in the next one. At the very least, I think there are some broad themes that I'd like to talk about. (What's the future of Class A with so many private schools now up in AA? Were last season's competitive quarterfinals a fluke or the new norm? etc. etc.)
Again, I can totally understand how class A hockey has little interest to you (coming from AA) guys.. Just remember, there are hundreds (thousand +) players each year in class A that really care. There are thousands of class A fans that also really care. Sure we don't sell out the X, but it's mostly relative to the size of the program/community... 50 to 60% of the AA audience is still a huge audience for you guys!! We are not asking you to cover it, but please try to show a little respect if you do.

* Monticello/5A took Hermantown to the brink last year..

SquirtC'00

Post by SquirtC'00 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:39 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
karl(east) wrote:The criticism is welcome, and not invalid. Our mistake in this one was probably in doing all that AA stuff first, leaving us in a time crunch by the time we got to Class A, which led to some glib dismissals in the interest of moving things along. (Though realize this is also a somewhat an offshoot of an intentional style choice, as being annoyingly opinionated sets up the in-season apology segment well.) I think we did devote some good time to many of the less heralded AA programs that may make some noise this year, which is of course an intentional push to share the spotlight elsewhere. We just didn't have much time for that in A on this one. One of the more interesting aspects of doing a podcast is the stuff you don't hear--the hour-plus of prep talk beforehand, our methods of cuing one another and moving things along (especially when I'm on the phone and can't see Tony or Danny), and knowing you have more to say on something but swallowing it because we know we'll never get to everything otherwise. (Or I do, at least. Tony, not so much. :P )

Again, I can totally understand how class A hockey has little interest to you (coming from AA) guys.. Just remember, there are hundreds (thousand +) players each year in class A that really care. There are thousands of class A fans that also really care. Sure we don't sell out the X, but it's mostly relative to the size of the program/community... 50 to 60% of the AA audience is still a huge audience for you guys!! We are not asking you to cover it, but please try to show a little respect if you do.

Bo,

I apologize for my comments on Class A and I will certainly apologize for it on next show. I do understand how much people care about Class A hockey, having broke the glass at the X when my school won the Class A tournament my senior year. Going forward we will show Class A hockey more respect and I plan on attend numerous Class A games this year myself.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:36 pm

OMG!! Are you boys going to seriously apologize to every bozo you offend!???

Grow a set everybody please.....

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:06 pm

SquirtC'00 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Bo,

I apologize for my comments on Class A and I will certainly apologize for it on next show. I do understand how much people care about Class A hockey, having broke the glass at the X when my school won the Class A tournament my senior year. Going forward we will show Class A hockey more respect and I plan on attend numerous Class A games this year myself.
Bo Knows! One of The best commentators on this board in the 10 years since I've been on it. I guarantee he is right there is an audience for this. I would suggest separating the 2 if on one podcast.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:37 pm

I don't mind listening to podcasts that are organic in length - whether an episode happens to be 30, 60, 90 minutes, or somewhere in between. However long it takes to cover the talking points, while having a natural dialogue and finding the right spot to close the show.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

Browniemagoo

Post by Browniemagoo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:00 am

You fellas have no obligation to podcast at all, let alone cover everybody's favorite team. Thanks for putting it out there and sharing what you know and what you think about the upcoming season. Any apologies are completely unnecessary.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:26 pm

It would be funny to completely skip over Single A HS and go from Class AA HS to a segment on AA Bantam just to annoy the single A people.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

SquirtC'00

Post by SquirtC'00 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:46 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:It would be funny to completely skip over Single A HS and go from Class AA HS to a segment on AA Bantam just to annoy the single A people.
We would still have to talk about Hermantown....

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:50 pm

Browniemagoo wrote:You fellas have no obligation to podcast at all, let alone cover everybody's favorite team. Thanks for putting it out there and sharing what you know and what you think about the upcoming season. Any apologies are completely unnecessary.
Agreed. Even though I am a Green Wave bobo, you guys are doing this at your own will. Still love to listen to it. Keep on Keeping on. 8)
What is a Green Wave anyway?