7AA for 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
boblee wrote:Grand Rapids is primed for one of its ugliest years in the past couple decades. Three stars have moved on to junior hockey. The head coach left. Last year's bantams weren't great. Last year's JV wasn't great. Rumor has it six players were recently caught drinking and have suspensions to serve.

Could get mighty ugly. Will the pride of the title help everyone through it?
The last two years were a lot of fun. For me that championship will keep me satisfied for a few years. Just gonna sit back and enjoy Duluth East and Cloquet battle it out in NE MN.
The battle is over, Cloquet got second (maybe third).
kniven

Post by kniven »

elliott70 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
boblee wrote:Grand Rapids is primed for one of its ugliest years in the past couple decades. Three stars have moved on to junior hockey. The head coach left. Last year's bantams weren't great. Last year's JV wasn't great. Rumor has it six players were recently caught drinking and have suspensions to serve.

The last two years were a lot of fun. For me that championship will keep me satisfied for a few years. Just gonna sit back and enjoy Duluth East and Cloquet battle it out in NE MN.
The battle is over, Cloquet got second (maybe third).
Yikes! I hope it isn't over
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I don’t know if it was mentioned yet, but there is a scheduling change to the Semi-finals. 7A will be at Amsoil Friday night 6/8pm, 7AA will be Saturday night 6/8pm. Via decc.org, go to ice schedule the last weekend in February.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:I don’t know if it was mentioned yet, but there is a scheduling change to the Semi-finals. 7A will be at Amsoil Friday night 6/8pm, 7AA will be Saturday night 6/8pm. Via decc.org, go to ice schedule the last weekend in February.
Looks like your correct on the days/dates, DJ, but the times are different on the DECC website.
7A 2/23 - 6 and 8 p.m.
7AA 2/24 - noon and 2 p.m.

According to my most recent DECC search
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

mnmouth wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:I don’t know if it was mentioned yet, but there is a scheduling change to the Semi-finals. 7A will be at Amsoil Friday night 6/8pm, 7AA will be Saturday night 6/8pm. Via decc.org, go to ice schedule the last weekend in February.
Looks like your correct on the days/dates, DJ, but the times are different on the DECC website.
7A 2/23 - 6 and 8 p.m.

Toggle to Saturday, Feb. 24. Looks like 6/8pm to me. Maybe you looked on another calendar?

http://iceschedule.decc.org/Arena%20Ice ... efault.htm
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
7A 2/23 - 6 and 8 p.m.

Toggle to Saturday, Feb. 24. Looks like 6/8pm to me. Maybe you looked on another calendar?

http://iceschedule.decc.org/Arena%20Ice ... efault.htm
This is what I see:

7AA Semi Final Boys Hockey

Two Games – 12 PM & 2 PM

Tickets on sale Friday, February 23 from 12 PM – 5 PM at the DECC Ticket Office.
On sale Saturday, February 24 from 10 AM – Game Times at DECC Ticket Office and AMSOIL Arena.
AMSOIL Arena gates open at 11 AM.

Ticket Prices:
$9 – Adults
$6 – Students (Age 5 – High School)
Children 4 and Under – Free
College Students are Adult Price

Cash Only. No checks.

WHEN
Feb 24
WHERE
AMSOIL Arena
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

I actually hope you're right, DJ. Likely a much better atmosphere with night contests.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

mnmouth wrote:I actually hope you're right, DJ. Likely a much better atmosphere with night contests.
Yes though a year too late. Last year's 7AA semi's were great, high drama, very full building. Should be competitive games this year, though I doubt I'll make the trip this time around given I'm not holding much hope for GR to be there especially in light of today's rumor provided by bobble. SMH
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

as of right now section 7AA will be 6/8pm on 2/24 for the semis
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

It will be interesting to see how the compete level is now. I never would have guessed that would even be questioned. In my 50 years of following hockey they have never been terrible. With the schedule they have I certainly am not looking for a great won-loss record but I am definitely expecting them to represent that orange jersey the way it should be.

They lost some real high end talent. I understand that. I still think they will grow a ton during the season and be ready come late February.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:

It will be interesting to see how the compete level is now. I never would have guessed that would even be questioned. In my 50 years of following hockey they have never been terrible. With the schedule they have I certainly am not looking for a great won-loss record but I am definitely expecting them to represent that orange jersey the way it should be.

They lost some real high end talent. I understand that. I still think they will grow a ton during the season and be ready come late February.
Rapids is always going to come to play. Let's not start calling a National Emergency just yet. Give the boys a chance...
kniven

Post by kniven »

I’m really curious to see how this section plays out in the first month of the season. I do thin Grand Rapids is going to go 0-8 or 8-0 early. A disaster or motivated. Andover and Duluth Marshall the 2 teams I’m really curious to see how they do early on. Does CEC loose something with the regime change even though talent abounds. I don’t have too many questions about East and the Elks. I think those 2 programs will be exactly who we thought they were.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Rapids sounded motivated on KOZY Saturday morning during an interview session. I certainly hope they have a better than anticipated season. The opener at Greenway we will find out right away. People that don't understand this rivalry would say it isn't a good test because Greenway is single A. These people don't understand that Greenway is going to play this game like it is game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and they are at home. I see Rapids posted their roster on mshsl.org. I am familiar with players coming back, but the sophomores I know nothing about. Maybe a Rapids fan out there can enlighten me on what to expect from some of the new players (ex. hard worker, fast skater, hockey IQ, etc.). I am also curious about the Bantam AA team that is highly rated and some of the players that might be considered standouts on that squad. Thanks.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Agreed. It doesn’t get much bigger than Grand Rapids vs. Greenway in the state of hockey. Greenway is licking their chops for this one. I’ve never been to the arena for Greenway. Must be a lot of history in that building. Do they have plenty of seating there, or is it small like Hermantown arena?
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Plenty of seating as there are bleachers on both sides. However their will not be plenty of seating available for this game. Tickets will go on sale at 4:00. All are general admission.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

kniven wrote:I’m really curious to see how this section plays out in the first month of the season. I do thin Grand Rapids is going to go 0-8 or 8-0 early. A disaster or motivated. Andover and Duluth Marshall the 2 teams I’m really curious to see how they do early on. Does CEC loose something with the regime change even though talent abounds. I don’t have too many questions about East and the Elks. I think those 2 programs will be exactly who we thought they were.
May go 4-4.
Probably 1-7 with only win in the first game against Coleraine.

Could end up 8-17 or 5-20.
Knowing Rapids pride, competiveness, they will get to double figure wins.
But they have a tough schedule.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Elliott, I thought you knew enough about Iron Range hockey to not say Coleraine instead of Greenway. Or are you saying that just to irritate me?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

greenwayraider wrote:Elliott, I thought you knew enough about Iron Range hockey to not say Coleraine instead of Greenway. Or are you saying that just to irritate me?

Just making sure everyone knows where the Greenway high school is located.

Like Centennial, looked on the map and could not find the dang place.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

elliott70 wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:Elliott, I thought you knew enough about Iron Range hockey to not say Coleraine instead of Greenway. Or are you saying that just to irritate me?

So, did you find Centennial?
What is a Green Wave anyway?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TTpuckster wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

So, did you find Centennial?
I have been driving up and down 35W for two hours now and no luck.
I might zip over to 35E or maybe Lexington.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

Does anyone have any news on the GR suspensions? I heard a rumor in the community today that two players are suspended for the season. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? If so, who?

I'm a committed GR fan, but these recurring claims of drinking associated with the team makes them a much less likable group. Hopefully some opposing student sections hit them with some major ridicule, so those players who remain will feel compelled to stay clean.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Immigrant Fan wrote:Does anyone have any news on the GR suspensions? I heard a rumor in the community today that two players are suspended for the season. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? If so, who?

I'm a committed GR fan, but these recurring claims of drinking associated with the team makes them a much less likable group. Hopefully some opposing student sections hit them with some major ridicule, so those players who remain will feel compelled to stay clean.
East, Cloquet, Elk River, AnDover, DM tops in 7AA. Keep it on topic.
Hockey Trumps All

Live Streams

Post by Hockey Trumps All »

Does anyone know of any stream of the GR at Greenway game for tonight? Would love to be there but cannot make it. The snake-pit will be jumping that is for sure. Will be listening but would love a stream if it is available.

thanks,
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

No live feeds unless you know someone who is or will go Facebook live etc...
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

From a lil mouse there is gonna be a Facebook live feed not sure if it’s what anyone wants but there will be one
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!