3A 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 am

Yuge wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Top 6 teams in order

1 Luverne
2 Marshall
3 Hutchinson
4 Litchfield
5 New Ulm
6 Willmar

If New Ulm would beat Marshall it would mix things up a bit but enough to change things???

Good question, but first, New Ulm will probably not win. Marshal has been playing a lot better since the OT win in early December
Are both teams at 100%?
If so, I will take Marshall by 2 maybe 3.

If NU wins I see them having an argument for the 3 spot depending on how the other teams do.

Good luck to both.
I never get to see 3A until state.
Marshall hangs on 3-2 after giving up two goals very late into third. The win puts Marshall in the driver's seat for a two seed. Don't see New Ulm being seeded any higher then five.
Goaltending is the only thing keeping this team in games. NU has shown no ability to score goals or even set up heavy pressure in the offensive zone. New Ulm's defense was Marshalls best player yesterday setting Marshall up in front of the goal twice with cross-ice passes that were intercepted and scored for goals. Apart from that I saw a lot of icing the puck for New Ulm. Don't seem to spend an extra second looking for an outlet, rather just look to get the puck away from their zone. Unless something changes quickly with offense and defense for the Eagles I don't see how they challenge any of the top teams in the section.

This is a terribly bad section this year, I fully anticipate Luverne rolling through everyone to get to the X, but stranger things have happened I suppose.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

Yuge

Post by Yuge » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 pm

Litchfield vs Hutchinson part two. Litch won the first go around in a close game, anyone have any insight into this rivalry? Litch still has Marshall and Luverne on their schedule so a win tomorrow would keep them in the running for a #1 seed.

hawkeyguy2

Post by hawkeyguy2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 pm

This is a terribly bad section this year, I fully anticipate Luverne rolling through everyone to get to the X, but stranger things have happened I suppose.[/quote]

How do you figure Luverne is that much better than the rest? If you look at common opponents, Litch & Marshall are right there compared to Luverne. I would give Luverne a slight edge but that is about it. It wouldn't be crazy for either one of these teams to beat Luverne let alone Hutch. Looks like Litch beat Hutch tonight 5 -3.

hawkeyguy2

How do you figure?

Post by hawkeyguy2 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:19 am

hawkeyguy2 wrote:This is a terribly bad section this year, I fully anticipate Luverne rolling through everyone to get to the X, but stranger things have happened I suppose.
How do you figure Luverne is that much better than the rest? If you look at common opponents, Litch & Marshall are right there compared to Luverne. I would give Luverne a slight edge but that is about it. It wouldn't be crazy for either one of these teams to beat Luverne let alone Hutch. Looks like Litch beat Hutch tonight 5 -3.[/quote]

Yuge

Post by Yuge » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:13 am

Yuge wrote:Litchfield vs Hutchinson part two. Litch won the first go around in a close game, anyone have any insight into this rivalry? Litch still has Marshall and Luverne on their schedule so a win tomorrow would keep them in the running for a #1 seed.
Litch beat Hutch 5-3 last night to complete the season sweep. The way It sits now seeds 1-3 are up for grabs with Luverne, Marshall and Litchfield all playing each other over the next couple of weeks. Looks like Hutch will be the 4 and New Ulm the 5.

Yuge

Re: How do you figure?

Post by Yuge » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:22 am

hawkeyguy2 wrote:
hawkeyguy2 wrote:This is a terribly bad section this year, I fully anticipate Luverne rolling through everyone to get to the X, but stranger things have happened I suppose.
How do you figure Luverne is that much better than the rest? If you look at common opponents, Litch & Marshall are right there compared to Luverne. I would give Luverne a slight edge but that is about it. It wouldn't be crazy for either one of these teams to beat Luverne let alone Hutch. Looks like Litch beat Hutch tonight 5 -3.
[/quote]

Section 3 will never be a solid section from top to bottom but I disagree about it being TERRIBLY bad this year. There is a lot of parity in A hockey this season and most sections have some BAD teams in them. Regarding Section playoffs I don't see anyone rolling thru, I fully anticipate a very competitive Saturday and Wednesday at Gustavus.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 am

Yuge wrote:
hawkeyguy2 wrote:
quote "Section 3 will never be a solid section from top to bottom but I disagree about it being TERRIBLY bad this year. There is a lot of parity in A hockey this season and most sections have some BAD teams in them. Regarding Section playoffs I don't see anyone rolling thru, I fully anticipate a very competitive Saturday and Wednesday at Gustavus.[/quote]
3A is 22-54-2 against non-section 3A teams. Marshall has the only winning record in non #a games at 5-2.
Compares to last years at year end 30-90-5. Last year Morris was in 3A.

1A is 30-57-2 this year to date.
5A is 29-52-5
6A is 59-38-4

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:28 pm

elliott70 wrote:3A is 22-54-2 against non-section 3A teams. Marshall has the only winning record in non #a games at 5-2.

5A is 29-52-5
6A is 59-38-4
Would it make more sense to limit this type of comparison to the top four teams in each of the sections? The bottom teams in 3A are so weak that I suspect they may skew the results. It may well end up looking the same, though, since the same can be said of 1A and 5A. 6A is possibly the second strongest section, top to bottom, behind only 2A, so they are probably an unfair comparison point, though that may have been what you were going for.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:3A is 22-54-2 against non-section 3A teams. Marshall has the only winning record in non #a games at 5-2.

5A is 29-52-5
6A is 59-38-4
Would it make more sense to limit this type of comparison to the top four teams in each of the sections? The bottom teams in 3A are so weak that I suspect they may skew the results. It may well end up looking the same, though, since the same can be said of 1A and 5A. 6A is possibly the second strongest section, top to bottom, behind only 2A, so they are probably an unfair comparison point, though that may have been what you were going for.

That may be.
I was just grabbing at stuff to see if numbers support things one way or the other.

Yuge

Post by Yuge » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:56 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Yuge wrote:
hawkeyguy2 wrote:
quote "Section 3 will never be a solid section from top to bottom but I disagree about it being TERRIBLY bad this year. There is a lot of parity in A hockey this season and most sections have some BAD teams in them. Regarding Section playoffs I don't see anyone rolling thru, I fully anticipate a very competitive Saturday and Wednesday at Gustavus.
3A is 22-54-2 against non-section 3A teams. Marshall has the only winning record in non #a games at 5-2.

5A is 29-52-5
6A is 59-38-4[/quote]
*************?****
I was referring to Goldys comment on the section being TERRIBLY bad this year, I don't think the section is better or worse then previous seasons. I am not defending the section, the bottom is REALLY bad and the top has a few teams that can be competitive. I do believe most sections have some BAD teams in them though.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Yuge wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Yuge wrote:
hawkeyguy2 wrote:
quote "Section 3 will never be a solid section from top to bottom but I disagree about it being TERRIBLY bad this year. There is a lot of parity in A hockey this season and most sections have some BAD teams in them. Regarding Section playoffs I don't see anyone rolling thru, I fully anticipate a very competitive Saturday and Wednesday at Gustavus.

5A is 29-52-5
6A is 59-38-4
*************?****
I was referring to Goldys comment on the section being TERRIBLY bad this year, I don't think the section is better or worse then previous seasons. I am not defending the section, the bottom is REALLY bad and the top has a few teams that can be competitive. I do believe most sections have some BAD teams in them though.[/quote]

Yes I agree.
What I looked at seems to say not much difference between the 2 years.
I guess the ultimate disclosure will be state.

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 am

hawkeyguy2 wrote:
[/quote]

Luverne has that top line that SHOULD score enough goals to take care of business easily. I see no threat from New Ulm at all. And watching Marshall play against New Ulm I don't see how they could be a realistic threat. Not sure about Litch or Hutch. My comment was more gauged to the lack of offense (and defense for that matter) I saw from two of the regulars (Marshall, New Ulm) at Gustavus from the section.

Yuge

Post by Yuge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:21 am

GoldyGopher wrote:
hawkeyguy2 wrote:
Luverne has that top line that SHOULD score enough goals to take care of business easily. I see no threat from New Ulm at all. And watching Marshall play against New Ulm I don't see how they could be a realistic threat. Not sure about Litch or Hutch. My comment was more gauged to the lack of offense (and defense for that matter) I saw from two of the regulars (Marshall, New Ulm) at Gustavus from the section.[/quote]
Hutch beat #4 Orono last night and Litch loses a close one to #6 Mound Westonka. Like I said earlier in this thread no team is rolling thru this section. Congrats to Hutch on the win!

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:45 am

Yuge wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
hawkeyguy2 wrote:
Luverne has that top line that SHOULD score enough goals to take care of business easily. I see no threat from New Ulm at all. And watching Marshall play against New Ulm I don't see how they could be a realistic threat. Not sure about Litch or Hutch. My comment was more gauged to the lack of offense (and defense for that matter) I saw from two of the regulars (Marshall, New Ulm) at Gustavus from the section.
Hutch beat #4 Orono last night and Litch loses a close one to #6 Mound Westonka. Like I said earlier in this thread no team is rolling thru this section. Congrats to Hutch on the win![/quote]

Orono also had lost 4 of its last 8 going into the game with Hutch. This isn't the hot Orono team from the beginning of the season. A good win for sure but not nearly the same as it would have been had it been the first month of the season. Either way I'm sticking with my prediction that Luverne rolls through sections, you can continue to worry about the competition they will face, I just don't see it. Hockey Day MN this weekend, I'll be up north fishing, hope everyone else enjoys!

Cheers!

Yuge

Post by Yuge » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:37 pm

GoldyGopher wrote:
Yuge wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
hawkeyguy2 wrote:
Hutch beat #4 Orono last night and Litch loses a close one to #6 Mound Westonka. Like I said earlier in this thread no team is rolling thru this section. Congrats to Hutch on the win!
Orono also had lost 4 of its last 8 going into the game with Hutch. This isn't the hot Orono team from the beginning of the season. A good win for sure but not nearly the same as it would have been had it been the first month of the season. Either way I'm sticking with my prediction that Luverne rolls through sections, you can continue to worry about the competition they will face, I just don't see it. Hockey Day MN this weekend, I'll be up north fishing, hope everyone else enjoys!

Cheers![/quote]
Orono had won three in a row including two against top ten teams, I think they were doing just fine.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:02 pm

I wanted to bump this thread to point out that LDC knocked off Delano 3-2 in OT last night. Perhaps 3A is not going to be a pushover, and 2A is not the juggernaut we had assumed? (Though 2A is certainly deep and it will be a street fight to escape that section.) Even though the seeding may not bear this out, Litch and Hutch are looking like the strongest teams in this section as the season draws to a close.

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:15 am

Stang5280 wrote:I wanted to bump this thread to point out that LDC knocked off Delano 3-2 in OT last night. Perhaps 3A is not going to be a pushover, and 2A is not the juggernaut we had assumed? (Though 2A is certainly deep and it will be a street fight to escape that section.) Even though the seeding may not bear this out, Litch and Hutch are looking like the strongest teams in this section as the season draws to a close.
So Hutch beat Orono but lost to LDC twice. LDC lost to Orono 10-0. Delano is 1 game above .500. I'm not sure how can take these scores and take anything serious from them. Luverne has SCC and LDC Friday and Saturday, LDC has Orono again and Luverne Thursday and Saturday. Hutch plays Delano tonight. So I would say by the end of the week we will have a much better idea how these northern 3A teams compare to Luverne.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:28 pm

GoldyGopher wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:I wanted to bump this thread to point out that LDC knocked off Delano 3-2 in OT last night. Perhaps 3A is not going to be a pushover, and 2A is not the juggernaut we had assumed? (Though 2A is certainly deep and it will be a street fight to escape that section.) Even though the seeding may not bear this out, Litch and Hutch are looking like the strongest teams in this section as the season draws to a close.
So Hutch beat Orono but lost to LDC twice. LDC lost to Orono 10-0. Delano is 1 game above .500. I'm not sure how can take these scores and take anything serious from them. Luverne has SCC and LDC Friday and Saturday, LDC has Orono again and Luverne Thursday and Saturday. Hutch plays Delano tonight. So I would say by the end of the week we will have a much better idea how these northern 3A teams compare to Luverne.
I know what you mean but it still made me smile.

:D

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:25 pm

GoldyGopher wrote:
I agree that this is a huge week for 3A and the results will go a long way toward sorting out the seating. However, I do have some rebuttals to your other points.
  • 1) The Hutch vs. LDC results only matter with respect to comparing the to teams against one another.
    2) Yes, the LDC loss to Orono was ugly, but it was also over a month ago and they have been playing much better recently.
    3) Delano”s record may only be 9-8, but their schedule is the 7th most difficult in Class A (per PageStat) and they are generally regarded as a top ten team. Delano has victories over EGF, Minneapolis, Virginia, and SCC, along with several close losses to strong teams (if that floats your boat). No 3A team has that type of resume.
Again, this week will be very telling, but I don’t think one can simply wave away last week’s results from LDC and Hutchinson.

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:41 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
I agree that this is a huge week for 3A and the results will go a long way toward sorting out the seating. However, I do have some rebuttals to your other points.
  • 1) The Hutch vs. LDC results only matter with respect to comparing the to teams against one another.
    2) Yes, the LDC loss to Orono was ugly, but it was also over a month ago and they have been playing much better recently.
    3) Delano”s record may only be 9-8, but their schedule is the 7th most difficult in Class A (per PageStat) and they are generally regarded as a top ten team. Delano has victories over EGF, Minneapolis, Virginia, and SCC, along with several close losses to strong teams (if that floats your boat). No 3A team has that type of resume.
Again, this week will be very telling, but I don’t think one can simply wave away last week’s results from LDC and Hutchinson.

I agree, that's why I stated several posts up that the Hutch win over Orono was impressive, but it wasn't against the Orono team that started the season out of the gate as well as it possibly could. The current Orono team has come back down to the surface as of late somewhat. The LDC/Luverne game should tell us what we need to have a better idea on the section leaders.

I put no merit into anything PageStat related so I won't comment on the Delano thing.

Agreed no one else in 3A is playing those teams but location has plenty to do with it. Luverne is traveling up to get some decent games in this weekend and it's not like they were slacking that much when it came to schedule their non-section/conference games, just didn't do as well as maybe they should have. Had a good game on the schedule with SPA this year, unfortunately they have won 2 games and decided not to travel down, not much they can do about that.

Depending on plans Saturday I may try and get up to Litch and see it for myself. I'm sure the Luverne radio guy will be there and I can try and get a free pop out of him or something.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:18 pm

GoldyGopher wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:

I agree, that's why I stated several posts up that the Hutch win over Orono was impressive, but it wasn't against the Orono team that started the season out of the gate as well as it possibly could. The current Orono team has come back down to the surface as of late somewhat. The LDC/Luverne game should tell us what we need to have a better idea on the section leaders.

I put no merit into anything PageStat related so I won't comment on the Delano thing.

Agreed no one else in 3A is playing those teams but location has plenty to do with it. Luverne is traveling up to get some decent games in this weekend and it's not like they were slacking that much when it came to schedule their non-section/conference games, just didn't do as well as maybe they should have. Had a good game on the schedule with SPA this year, unfortunately they have won 2 games and decided not to travel down, not much they can do about that.

Depending on plans Saturday I may try and get up to Litch and see it for myself. I'm sure the Luverne radio guy will be there and I can try and get a free pop out of him or something.
Should be an excellent game, and it would be nice to have someone give a first-hand report of it. It’s difficult to say whether Orono has regressed or LDC has improved that much, but it doesn’t really matter if the latter can’t beat Luverne.

I know that plenty of people rag on Luverne for their scheduling, but I am impressed that they manage to play the non-section games they do given the remote location. LDC and Hutch have the advantage of playing in the “Wright County” Conference (which I always find funny since only Delano is located in Wright) and have a number of tough games built into the conference schedule. Perhaps the Big South will consider going to an unbalanced schedule at some point to avoid so many mismatches, but that would greatly impact scheduling and travel.

(Aargh, I just noticed that are used “seating” rather than “seeding” above. Stupid voice recognition software and my OCD.)

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:

Should be an excellent game, and it would be nice to have someone give a first-hand report of it. It’s difficult to say whether Orono has regressed or LDC has improved that much, but it doesn’t really matter if the latter can’t beat Luverne.

I know that plenty of people rag on Luverne for their scheduling, but I am impressed that they manage to play the non-section games they do given the remote location. LDC and Hutch have the advantage of playing in the “Wright County” Conference (which I always find funny since only Delano is located in Wright) and have a number of tough games built into the conference schedule. Perhaps the Big South will consider going to an unbalanced schedule at some point to avoid so many mismatches, but that would greatly impact scheduling and travel.

(Aargh, I just noticed that are used “seating” rather than “seeding” above. Stupid voice recognition software and my OCD.)
Where did you go to school, Breck?

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:40 am

Stang5280 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:

I was able to confirm a pop will be provided for me so I will more than likely make the hour drive for the afternoon game. Should be home in time to see the Gophers get stomped on by Notre Dame. :roll:

GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:34 am

Thursday 3A top team results:

New Prague: 4 Hutch: 1
Orono: 7 LDC: 1

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm

GoldyGopher wrote:Thursday 3A top team results:

New Prague: 4 Hutch: 1
Orono: 7 LDC: 1
They certainly both came crashing back to earth after last week’s performances. Class A is just all around messy this year.