HAPPY'S RANKING - 1/16

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HappyHockeyFan

HAPPY'S RANKING - 1/16

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

1- Edina
2- Minnetonka
3- St Thomas Academy
4- Duluth East
5- Holy Family

6- Moorhead
7- Eden Prairie
8- White Bear Lake
9- Centennial
10- Cretin-DH

11- Cloquet-Esko
12- Brainerd
13- Wayzata
14- Andover
15- Duluth Marshall

16- St Cloud
17- Blake
18- Lakeville South
19- Elk River
20- Rosemount
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Happy, I'm confused.

EP moves up to #7 when they've won only 1 of their last 7 games? and Da Bears drop when they have won their last three games by a combined score of 25 - 1.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Does Moorhead High sponsor your rankings????
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
kniven

Post by kniven »

Green and White Fan wrote:Does Moorhead High sponsor your rankings????
Happy is very high on his picks for a reason. So happy likes to be blunt. Happy smokes and blows us away with his rankings.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

BodyShots wrote:Happy, I'm confused.

EP moves up to #7 when they've won only 1 of their last 7 games? and Da Bears drop when they have won their last three games by a combined score of 25 - 1.
The teams go where the points they earn take them. The Eden Prairie win was a big one, top ranked team in the state at the time according to LPH. In my rankings it was only a one spot move. As for the Bears they have 3 wins but all against unranked teams which doesn't move the needle much in my formula and other teams passed them.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

Not sure why your so down on the Spuds. They have significant wins against ranked teams including Brainerd, EGF, STMA and Andover and ties against Cloquet-Esko and Wayzata.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

kniven wrote:
Happy is very high on his picks for a reason. So happy likes to be blunt. Happy smokes and blows us away with his rankings.
:lol: :lol:
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:The teams go where the points they earn take them.
You decide how many points they earn.
Be kind. Rewind.
formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan »

Happy rankings bring the board to life.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

Ok, so here is a question, do you basically agree with my top 5 teams? Maybe not in exact order but the correct 5 teams? If you do, then why would my formula correctly place those teams there but not correctly place the other 15 teams in general? My top 5 basically matches the top 5 of other polls, slightly different order perhaps but generally the same. So if my formula correctly places those teams then why would the same formula incorrectly place teams like Moorhead, Eden Prairie or any other team for that matter? I think my formula does a pretty good job, it may need a slight tweak or two but in general I think it is pretty good. I seem to be ahead of the curve with the other polls as I was ranking Rosemount 2-3 weeks before everyone else caught up and I have been ranking Blake most of the season, still waiting for the others to catch up to that one. :lol:
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

If you a basing rankings on potential, then Moorhead is maybe where they belong, but if basing on results I am not seeing it. They have beaten two teams that you have ranked, Brainerd (who just kicked them 5-0) ranked 12th and Andover ranked 14th. They have lost to teams you rank 2, 3 and 5 which is understandable, but have lost to teams ranked 11th, 12th and 13th. I know two of those losses were OT, but losses none the less. They are a talented group that I think is getting a talent/potential bump and not a bump based on results.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

Green and White Fan wrote:If you a basing rankings on potential, then Moorhead is maybe where they belong, but if basing on results I am not seeing it. They have beaten two teams that you have ranked, Brainerd (who just kicked them 5-0) ranked 12th and Andover ranked 14th. They have lost to teams you rank 2, 3 and 5 which is understandable, but have lost to teams ranked 11th, 12th and 13th. I know two of those losses were OT, but losses none the less. They are a talented group that I think is getting a talent/potential bump and not a bump based on results.
Keep in mind I only count regulation time, so any game that ends in a tie after regulation time goes down as a tie even if the team goes on to win in overtime, or lose. So a tie earns a team half the value of the team they are playing. They have ties with Cloquet and Wayzata. Not sure if that helps or not.
green4

Post by green4 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:Ok, so here is a question, do you basically agree with my top 5 teams? Maybe not in exact order but the correct 5 teams? If you do, then why would my formula correctly place those teams there but not correctly place the other 15 teams in general? My top 5 basically matches the top 5 of other polls, slightly different order perhaps but generally the same. So if my formula correctly places those teams then why would the same formula incorrectly place teams like Moorhead, Eden Prairie or any other team for that matter? I think my formula does a pretty good job, it may need a slight tweak or two but in general I think it is pretty good. I seem to be ahead of the curve with the other polls as I was ranking Rosemount 2-3 weeks before everyone else caught up and I have been ranking Blake most of the season, still waiting for the others to catch up to that one. :lol:
If Rosemount beats Eastview I will give you credit for being ahead of the curve on that one, but don't be afraid to admit when you jumped the gun, like with Blaine.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:

The teams go where the points they earn take them. The Eden Prairie win was a big one, top ranked team in the state at the time according to LPH. In my rankings it was only a one spot move. As for the Bears they have 3 wins but all against unranked teams which doesn't move the needle much in my formula and other teams passed them.
You didn't have East ranked #1, though, right? Do you use LPH rankings in your formula?
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

Traxler wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:

You didn't have East ranked #1, though, right? Do you use LPH rankings in your formula?
Correct
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

green4 wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:Ok, so here is a question, do you basically agree with my top 5 teams? Maybe not in exact order but the correct 5 teams? If you do, then why would my formula correctly place those teams there but not correctly place the other 15 teams in general? My top 5 basically matches the top 5 of other polls, slightly different order perhaps but generally the same. So if my formula correctly places those teams then why would the same formula incorrectly place teams like Moorhead, Eden Prairie or any other team for that matter? I think my formula does a pretty good job, it may need a slight tweak or two but in general I think it is pretty good. I seem to be ahead of the curve with the other polls as I was ranking Rosemount 2-3 weeks before everyone else caught up and I have been ranking Blake most of the season, still waiting for the others to catch up to that one. :lol:
If Rosemount beats Eastview I will give you credit for being ahead of the curve on that one, but don't be afraid to admit when you jumped the gun, like with Blaine.
Blaine has ties against Duluth East, Eden Prairie and Centennial. No significant wins but it earned them enough points to hang around awhile. It showed, at least for awhile that they could hang with some better teams, lately they have been unable to and have been passed up. So I won't say I was jumping the gun, just ranking them according to the points they earned to that point in the season. I will be at the Rosemount/Eastview game, looking forward to a solid rematch.