Trip to Eveleth, Hibbing and Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

stpaul

Trip to Eveleth, Hibbing and Grand Rapids

Post by stpaul »

I am making a trip north from the Twin Cities next weekend. Plan to go to the USA Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth and see Warroad at Hibbing on Friday night, then Hill-Murray at Grand Rapids on Saturday afternoon. I've never been to either of the historic arenas in Hibbing and GR. Haven't been to the Hall since the 80s.

I'm looking for recommendations for other things we should see or places to eat from you Up North Hockey folks. Thank you.
kniven

Re: Trip to Eveleth, Hibbing and Grand Rapids

Post by kniven »

stpaul wrote:I am making a trip north from the Twin Cities next weekend. Plan to go to the USA Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth and see Warroad at Hibbing on Friday night, then Hill-Murray at Grand Rapids on Saturday afternoon. I've never been to either of the historic arenas in Hibbing and GR. Haven't been to the Hall since the 80s.

I'm looking for recommendations for other things we should see or places to eat from you Up North Hockey folks. Thank you.
Enjoy! Both the Hibbing and Grand Rapids hockey arenas are awesome. Being in Cloquet, I luckily get to see them often. There is a Mexican restaurant in Virginia MN called LaCasena and Cantena or something like that. Great food and atmosphere for sure if your looking for lunch while at HOF. Virginia is 5 minutes down the road past Eveleth.
rainier2

Re: Trip to Eveleth, Hibbing and Grand Rapids

Post by rainier2 »

stpaul wrote:I am making a trip north from the Twin Cities next weekend. Plan to go to the USA Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth and see Warroad at Hibbing on Friday night, then Hill-Murray at Grand Rapids on Saturday afternoon. I've never been to either of the historic arenas in Hibbing and GR. Haven't been to the Hall since the 80s.

Go to Boomtown Brewery in downtown Hibbing. It is a brand new brew pub with great food and fantastic beers.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Valentinis in Chisholm was very good when I lived there many years ago.
Not sure if it is still there.
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

If you do make it into Chisholm, check out their rink. The rink is alright, but the "field house" that houses the locker rooms is a cool old brick WPA building from 1939. I thought it was cool that the upper level housed locker rooms for the rink, and the lower level had warming house space for the outdoor rink. Pretty cool.

Hibbing Memorial Coliseum oozes history, and the town supports their hockey. Do a drive by of Hibbing High School. Huge brick monument to the Iron Range glory days.

Have fun!
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

If you get a chance to look around inside Hibbing High School, definitely do it. In the early 90's I was told the 4 large crystal chandeliers in the auditorium were worth $1 million. I also recall a large mural in the library worth seeing. I think I took a tour for a buck, or was it 3?

In any case, it's beautiful and they've maintained it well.

If Hill and Rapids were relevant this year I'd make the trek myself.