7A Playoff seeding

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Northernlakes

7A Playoff seeding

Post by Northernlakes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:13 pm

Rank 1-10. ??
1- Hermantown
2- Virginia
3- Greenway
4- ? Hibbing
5- ? I falls
6- ? Eveleth
7- ? Denfeld
8- ? N shore
9- Proctor
10- Ely

Final 4, Htown, Virginia, Greenway and who?

rainier2

Re: 7A Playoff seeding

Post by rainier2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:21 pm

Northernlakes wrote:Rank 1-10. ??
1- Hermantown
2- Virginia
3- Greenway
4- ? Hibbing
5- ? I falls
6- ? Eveleth
7- ? Denfeld
8- ? N shore
9- Proctor
10- Ely

Final 4, Htown, Virginia, Greenway and who?
1. Herm
2. Green
3. VMIB
4. Hibbing
5. E-G
6. IF
7. Denfeld
8. NS
9. Proctor
10. Ely

I expect Herm, Green, and VMIB for sure, 4th spot up for grabs. 4-7 could all conceivably end up as the 4-5 seeds by the end of the season, and all 4 could beat each other at any given time. Hard to predict.

CanAm Hockey

Post by CanAm Hockey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:45 am

1. Hermantown
2. Greenway
3. Virginia
4. Hibbing
5. Int'l Falls
6. Eveleth
7. Duluth Denfeld
8. North Shore
9. Proctor
10. Ely

There are still a lot of Section games left, but right now this is how I see it. With the remaining games 1-3 are set in stone, 4-6 being a toss-up, and 7-10 pretty well set.

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 am

Denfeld has really declined over the years.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:08 am

Goose21 wrote:Denfeld has really declined over the years.
Yes, unfortunately they have. I can’t remember when the last time they had a JV squad. 13-14 maybe?

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:52 am

kniven wrote:
Yes, unfortunately they have. I can’t remember when the last time they had a JV squad. 13-14 maybe?
Their pee wee and bantam A squads are solid, but it remains to be seen how much of that talent ends up at Denfeld in HS.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:56 am

CanAm Hockey wrote:1. Hermantown
2. Greenway
3. Virginia
4. Hibbing
5. Int'l Falls
6. Eveleth
7. Duluth Denfeld
8. North Shore
9. Proctor
10. Ely

There are still a lot of Section games left, but right now this is how I see it. With the remaining games 1-3 are set in stone, 4-6 being a toss-up, and 7-10 pretty well set.
It will be interesting to see what happens if Hibbing beats Virginia again. Virginia's overall body of work would be superior, but can they get swept by Hibbing and still be seeded above them? FWIW, I think Virginia will win the second matchup.

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:30 am

rainier2 wrote:
kniven wrote:
Their pee wee and bantam A squads are solid, but it remains to be seen how much of that talent ends up at Denfeld in HS.
I think their Peewee A team has made the state tournament the last few years. With the size of the school (but maybe enrollment has dropped) I would expect them to be more of a factor at the 7A level, but I suppose the economics of that area of Duluth and other hockey options factor.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 am

rainier2 wrote:
kniven wrote:
Yep! Probably non of it. Hermantown, Duluth East, and Marshall will have their yearly draft of Denfeld hockey players. I drafted kids will play puck for Denfeld. I think they have a yearly draft for Proctor kids too.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:09 am

I think Hibbing hockey is awesome, but this isn’t their year. Greenway and Virginia boys will be the David vs. Goliath matchup with the Hawks of Hermantown this year.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:45 am

As has been said the top three teams are pretty much decided with Hermantown, Greenway and Virginia. Virginia still has an outside chance to get the #2 seed but a lot has to break their way.

1. Hermantown: 10-5-2 overall and 3-0 in the Section with games left against Virginia and Eveleth-Gilbert.
2. Greenway at 13-6 and a Section record of 6-2. Games left with the Falls and Hibbing. Bronco Arena has been a House of Horrors for the Raiders and that game is tonight.
3. Virginia is 12-7-1 and a Section record of 5-3-1 and I still can't figure out how they lost to Proctor. Section games that remain are with Hermantown, Eveleth-Gilbert and Hibbing. Another loss to Hibbing and the #3 seed might be at jeoporady.
4. International Falls is 9-7-1 with a 6-2-1 Section record. Games remainng are with Greenway. A win over Greenway and Falls should be the #4 seed.
5. Hibbing a 6-11 record with a very challenging schedule. Their Section record is 2-3 with games left with Denfeld, Eveleth-Gilbert, Virginia and Greenway. With a win against Virginia already, Hibbing has plenty of Section games left where they could move up all the way to #3.
6. Eveleth-Gilbert is at 10-6-2 and a 4-4-1 Section record with wins over Hibbing and the Falls but losses to the Falls and two bad losses to Greenway by a combined score of 15-1.
7. Denfeld - An overall record of 6-13 and Section record of 2-3 with their only wins against North Shore and Proctor. They have two games left with Eveleth-Gilbert, one with Hibbing and one with North Shore. Denfeld could certainly move up.
8. North Shore is only 5-11-3 overal with a relatively weak schedule. Their Section record is only 1-5-1 with their lone win against Proctor. Games left are with Ely, Denfeld, Proctor and Eveleth-Gilbert. Don't see how they can pick up enought wins to move up.
9. Proctor has a record of 6-11-2 and is 2-6 in the Section with wins over Virginia and Eveleth-Gilbert. Have games left with North Shore and Eveleth-Gilbert so they might be able to swap spots with North Shore.
10. Ely with a 5-11 record and 0-4 in the Section with their best showing a one goal loss to Proctor. One Section game with North Shore.

A good case could be made for any of the 4-6 teams to be seeded higher or lower. Lots of Section games left so your guess is as good as mine.

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 pm

I don't think Virginia really has a shot at getting the 2 seed. I think at the seeding meeting, coaches will factor in Troumbly missing that last game and Lawson being no where near 100%. It was essentially an even game WITHOUT those two being a factor.

4-7 is a toss up. All four of those teams are scrambling to be in the 4/5 spot so they don't have to play one of the top 3 until the semis.

If Virginia stays out of the penalty box (only 3 for 6 minutes against Greenway), they can play with anybody, including Hermantown. Unfortunately for them, if their top line is struggling, the wheels can come off very quickly.

As a team, Virginia has 246 penalty minutes. Greenway and Hermantown have 156 and 153. Pretty much sums up why they are losing (or having close games) against inferior opponents.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:10 pm

greenwayraider wrote:As has been said the top three teams are pretty much decided with Hermantown, Greenway and Virginia. Virginia still has an outside chance to get the #2 seed but a lot has to break their way.

1. Hermantown: 10-5-2 overall and 3-0 in the Section with games left against Virginia and Eveleth-Gilbert.
2. Greenway at 13-6 and a Section record of 6-2. Games left with the Falls and Hibbing. Bronco Arena has been a House of Horrors for the Raiders and that game is tonight.
3. Virginia is 12-7-1 and a Section record of 5-3-1 and I still can't figure out how they lost to Proctor. Section games that remain are with Hermantown, Eveleth-Gilbert and Hibbing. Another loss to Hibbing and the #3 seed might be at jeoporady.
4. International Falls is 9-7-1 with a 6-2-1 Section record. Games remainng are with Greenway. A win over Greenway and Falls should be the #4 seed.
5. Hibbing a 6-11 record with a very challenging schedule. Their Section record is 2-3 with games left with Denfeld, Eveleth-Gilbert, Virginia and Greenway. With a win against Virginia already, Hibbing has plenty of Section games left where they could move up all the way to #3.
6. Eveleth-Gilbert is at 10-6-2 and a 4-4-1 Section record with wins over Hibbing and the Falls but losses to the Falls and two bad losses to Greenway by a combined score of 15-1.
7. Denfeld - An overall record of 6-13 and Section record of 2-3 with their only wins against North Shore and Proctor. They have two games left with Eveleth-Gilbert, one with Hibbing and one with North Shore. Denfeld could certainly move up.
8. North Shore is only 5-11-3 overal with a relatively weak schedule. Their Section record is only 1-5-1 with their lone win against Proctor. Games left are with Ely, Denfeld, Proctor and Eveleth-Gilbert. Don't see how they can pick up enought wins to move up.
9. Proctor has a record of 6-11-2 and is 2-6 in the Section with wins over Virginia and Eveleth-Gilbert. Have games left with North Shore and Eveleth-Gilbert so they might be able to swap spots with North Shore.
10. Ely with a 5-11 record and 0-4 in the Section with their best showing a one goal loss to Proctor. One Section game with North Shore.

A good case could be made for any of the 4-6 teams to be seeded higher or lower. Lots of Section games left so your guess is as good as mine.
The only change I would make is Hibbing ahead of I-Falls, because Hibbing beat I-Falls and they also beat Virginia. I don't put as much weight in the Hibbing loss to E-G at this point because it was first game of the season, but I guess we'll see how the rematch goes. The Hibbing-I-falls rematch should settle it out also. Honestly, I don't see much difference between the 4-9 teams.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm

ironranger2 wrote:I don't think Virginia really has a shot at getting the 2 seed. I think at the seeding meeting, coaches will factor in Troumbly missing that last game and Lawson being no where near 100%. It was essentially an even game WITHOUT those two being a factor.

4-7 is a toss up. All four of those teams are scrambling to be in the 4/5 spot so they don't have to play one of the top 3 until the semis.

If Virginia stays out of the penalty box (only 3 for 6 minutes against Greenway), they can play with anybody, including Hermantown. Unfortunately for them, if their top line is struggling, the wheels can come off very quickly.

As a team, Virginia has 246 penalty minutes. Greenway and Hermantown have 156 and 153. Pretty much sums up why they are losing (or having close games) against inferior opponents.
I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen Virginia try Seitz at defense yet. It would instantly upgrade their defense significantly, allow Seitz to be on the ice even more, and they would still be able to have a top line that could score. (Bialke, Moreland, Zupetz?) Maybe it takes too much zip out of their offense, but for a team struggling to put together some consistency, I'd thought we'd see a little more tinkering.

Penalties have been hurting Virginia for sure. However, I think Hibbing gets the stupid penalty world title belt thus far. Not that they'd be ranked if they were more disciplined, but they have shot themselves in the foot so often with dumb penalties its a wonder they have any bullets left.

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Love the idea of putting Seitz back at D. Especially when they play Greenway/Hermantown.

You keep him on the ice that much longer and his hockey sense is definitely higher than most. He would know when he would need to press and when not to. Plus, his passing ability is A+, so it would really open things up when he was out there with the 2nd or 3rd line of forwards.

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:55 pm

Went through MN Hockey Hub for total team penalty minutes. I would argue it has a much bigger effect on single A games vs. AA games, just due to the lack of depth.

1. Hermantown 156
2. Mahotomedi 250
3. Greenway 153
4. Orono 104
5. Mound-Weston 193
6. St Cloud Cath 161
7. EGF 154
8. Sartell 148
9. Monticello 168
10. Delano 192

Except for Mahtomedi, the rest of this group is right around the 150-160 range.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:02 pm

I think you might be onto something with moving Seitz. When Greenway moved the young Lantz to defense it really improved Greenway’’s ability to breakout and quickly counterattack. I hope Lantz stays at defense but until Greenway is at full strength I guess we won’t know. Their lineup against Virginia was pretty shuffled so it will be interesting to see what ultimately happens.

Northernlakes

Updated 7A seeding........

Post by Northernlakes » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:50 am

GRENWAY RAIDER.......... GREAT POST.

Can we get a update on 7A with 2 weeks to go.......

rainier2

Re: Updated 7A seeding........

Post by rainier2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Northernlakes wrote:GRENWAY RAIDER.......... GREAT POST.

Can we get a update on 7A with 2 weeks to go.......
Off the top of my head:

1. Herm
2. Green
3. Virg
4. Falls
5. Denfeld
6. E-G
7. Hibbing
8. North Shore
9. Proctor
10. Ely

I think 1-3 and 8-10 are locks, 4-7 is still a toss-up.

Northernlakes

4 and 5 seeds

Post by Northernlakes » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:39 pm

Anyway they flip flop for home ice? I falls beat Denfeld in I falls a few weeks ago, any chance strength of schedule come into play?

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:52 am

The top and bottom of the seedings won't change but the middle seeding are up for grabs.

1. Hermantown - (12-6-2 and 4-0) The Hawks aren't unbeatable this year as both Greenway and Virginia have legitimate shots at upsetting them. If Troumbly comes back I think Greenway will have the better chance.
2. Greenway - (14-6 and 7-2) Greenway has two sections games left, both at home with the Falls and Hibbing. The game with Duluth Marshall (at home) on the 13th will be a good indicator if the Raiders are ready to for the Sections. The Raiders have been very consistent and have not lost to a lower or been challenged by a lower seed team. Alexandria is the lowest "ranked" team that has beaten them.
3. Virginia - (13-8-1 and 6-4-1) Virginia struggles when away from Miners Memorial. They have had 16 home games. On the road they are 2-3-1 with their best win against Warroad but that was early in the season when the Warriors were struggling. They have two away games (Johnson and SPA) next weekend and should win both easily. One section game left with Hibbing and that is at Miners Memorial.
4. International Falls (12-8-1 and 6-4-1) Greenway smacked the Broncos at their place 9-2. That is a very surprising result considering how the Raiders struggle at Bronco Arena. Even though the rematch is at Hodgins-Berardo I'd be surprised if the result is similar. Their nonconference schedule is not strong with their best win against a 9-8-3 Johnson team.
5. Denfeld (8-15 and 4-3) Denfeld picked up two big sections win against Eveleth-Gilbert and Hibbing both on the road. Their two remaining sections games (Eveleth-Gilbert and North Shore) are very winnable. The strength of schedule is considerably more difficult than the Falls, but since the Falls has beaten them it will be interesting to see if the can get the #4 seed. My vote would be for them for #4 seed.
6. Eveleth-Gilbert (11-8-2 and 5-6-1) The loss to Denfeld really hurts the Golden Bears seeding. They still have four sections games left (Hibbing, Hermantown, Denfeld and North Shore). If they can win 3 of 4 they could jump all the way to the #4 seed.
7. Hibbing (6-14-1 and 2-4) What a bizarre week for Hibbing. They tie Duluth Marshall on the road and then lay a big egg in a loss to Denfeld at home. Their remaining three sections games are all on the road: Eveleth-Gilbert, Virginia and Greenway. It looks like the best they can hope for is a six seed if they can beat Eveleth-Gilbert. Of course a win over either Virginia or Greenway will certainly help too.
8. North Shore (6-11-3 and 1-5-1) Doesn't appear to be any chance of North Shore moving up. With four section games remaining (Ely, Denfeld, Proctor and Eveleth-Gilbert) they'd have to win all four to have any hope of moving up.
9. Proctor (7-13-2 and 2-7) One section game left against North Shore so a move up to the #8 seed is possible. That will be a battle for home ice for a the play-in game.
10. Ely (6-11 and 0-4) The Timberwolves have no hope of being seeded any where but #10 even if they manage to beat North Shore in their remaining section game.

Hoping to see a Greenway-Virginia semifinal. That will be a great game. It would be an unbelievable atmosphere if it was at the Hibbing Memorial Arena instead of Amsoil. Amsoil seems to suck the life out of the atmosphere unless it's a full house.

Northernlakes

7A Playoff seeding................

Post by Northernlakes » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 pm

How does QRF come into play for 7A? I know the heavy favorites out of Hermantown, but hoping for a fun final four anyway. Thanks

Northernlakes

Greenway Raider... 7A at this point

Post by Northernlakes » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Who moves in the seeding? Only a couple games before they draw it up.
4-7 should be ready to confirm.........

rainier2

Re: Greenway Raider... 7A at this point

Post by rainier2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm

Northernlakes wrote:Who moves in the seeding? Only a couple games before they draw it up.
Hibbing is 1-3 vs I-Falls, Denfeld, and E-G, so they will likely be 7th, setting up a QF game at Greenway. Yikes!

greenwayraider

Re: Greenway Raider... 7A at this point

Post by greenwayraider » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:55 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Northernlakes wrote:Who moves in the seeding? Only a couple games before they draw it up.
Hibbing is 1-3 vs I-Falls, Denfeld, and E-G, so they will likely be 7th, setting up a QF game at Greenway. Yikes!
I think you are probably right. The good news for Greenway is that Ben Troumbly has been skating and will likely return as soon as tomorrow. He’s been cleared to play but no word on if he’ll play tomorrow against Marshall. Hopefully he’ll at least be playing on Thursday against Hibbing.