Notable Performances

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

In her first and only start this season, senior Lexi Olson stopped all 32 shots that Benilde-St. Margaret's put on net as Irondale skated to a 4-0 shutout win over the Red Knights. 8)
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Mnnstar wrote:
IceHiker wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote: 4 programs have had 10 or more goals scored on them in 14 of the 32 games you refer to above.

Warroad has scored 10 or more in 4 of their games, along with 9 in one and 8 in another. In those 6 games, they have out scored their opponents 78 to 2. Add in Ft Francis and it is 91 to 4 (that is almost half their games). Anyone can go look and add up the points their top two line tallied in the 3rd.

Some teams they have to play and some they play out of convenience. I don't think that is what the issue is. I think the issue is running up the score.

If you look at their history, it shows this happens a lot, in almost half their games. I don't think anyone would really go after them if their 1st and 2nd lines tallied a majority of the points in the 1st and 2nd and then their 3rd and 4th lines added scoring in the 3rd, but that is not what is happening. Their top two lines continue to add points in the 3rd, and a lot.

In one of their blow outs, when a D1 commit scored her 5th goal in the 3rd, you could see the coach mouth something to the affect, "1 point closer to 300".

He may not love to run up the score, but he certainly doesn't mind doing it - especially when it can move his players up the ranks in the history books. For crying out loud, he openly bragged about it in an interview just this past fall.

It is hard to defend the indefensible - but keep trying.
I will agree with you 100%. Warroad has never been the team to back down while playing a weak team. AND they are the team that will give the hit after the game to a teams top player. History repeats its self in the little hockey town of the north. Not too many years ago their girls HS team had only 5 Warroad born players on it.

Back to the topic at hand. Tell me, does this deserves 'Player of the Week'?

Player of the Week candidates

Genevieve Hendrickson, Warroad: The freshman leads the state with 38
assists on the season, and she proved her mettle in 20-0 win over Minot
(N.D.), scoring twice and tallying six assists for an eight-point outing.

Many more quality players putting up great games that week. But I understand, share the wealth. Hockey Hub is a sham.
Totally agree I can't see where they get their nominees. To put a period on the discussion to date 121 games have ended up in running time but under double digits. The trend is outstate in the north and south parts of the states. Though there has been a fair share in the Metro.
I found this score interesting - an unranked team from up north beating Warroad!

Lady Warriors fall to Roseau Rams 3-1.
🏒 G: Mc. Oelkers

Which brings me to may next question. I consistently think the northern teams are ranked slightly higher than they should be due to their lopsided victories of easier teams through their schedules.. The question is -

KRACH I think does an excellent job... but. Does the KRACH ranking put to much emphasis on score differential? If so is there a biased present in the formula when extrem casses like Warroad, and other northern teams play such high scoring/easy games (running the score up) on a consistent basis that it starts to reflect in a higher ranking as the year progresses...a false positive?
Last edited by itsfoilcoach on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Cross posted from another thread:
ghshockeyfan wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:
LSQRANK wrote: Nice site! Love it ;-) thanks

This has been cross posted. -

I found this score interesting - an unranked team from up north beating Warroad!

Which brings me to my question. I consistently think the northern teams are ranked slightly higher than they should be due to their lopsided victories of easier teams through their schedules.. The question is -

KRACH I think does an excellent job... but. Does the KRACH ranking put to much emphasis on score differential? If so is there a biased built into the formula when extrem casses like Warroad, and other northern teams play such high scoring/easy games (running the score up) on a consistent basis that it starts to reflect in a higher ranking as the year progresses...a false positive so to speak?
Roseau is ranked in Class AA (I believe) but to your question/point...

KRACH doesn't care if you win 100 to zip or 1-0 in OT. KRACH doesn't look at score at all - just W/L/T and against which teams you achieve these results.

Other approaches weight score in their calculations but should cap it at 6 goal differential so those runaway scores can't skew the equations/ratings/algorithms and many do this cap for the reasons you are asking. More on KRACH: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/krach.php
and details:
https://www.collegehockeynews.com/info/?d=krach
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

ghshockeyfan wrote:Cross posted from another thread:
ghshockeyfan wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:
This has been cross posted. -

Which brings me to my question. I consistently think the northern teams are ranked slightly higher than they should be due to their lopsided victories of easier teams through their schedules.. The question is -

KRACH I think does an excellent job... but. Does the KRACH ranking put to much emphasis on score differential? If so is there a biased built into the formula when extrem casses like Warroad, and other northern teams play such high scoring/easy games (running the score up) on a consistent basis that it starts to reflect in a higher ranking as the year progresses...a false positive so to speak?
Roseau is ranked in Class AA (I believe) but to your question/point...

KRACH doesn't care if you win 100 to zip or 1-0 in OT. KRACH doesn't look at score at all - just W/L/T and against which teams you achieve these results.

Other approaches weight score in their calculations but should cap it at 6 goal differential so those runaway scores can't skew the equations/ratings/algorithms and many do this cap for the reasons you are asking. More on KRACH: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/krach.php
and details:
https://www.collegehockeynews.com/info/?d=krach
Thank you. And yes they are ranked in AA @13 up from 16 this week.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Robbinsdale Cooper/Armstrong won last night. Congrats is probably not the correct thing to say but I am happy for any team to not lose all of their games (at least in girls hockey...kind of enjoy it in the NFL...sorry Cleveland fans). I believe that they were the last of the teams in MNHS hockey without a win. Any idea what happened to their D1 committed goalie? 5 games played (230 shots faced) and no games played in a little while...

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/game/sh ... er=3519982
IceHiker

Post by IceHiker »

massalsa wrote:Robbinsdale Cooper/Armstrong won last night. Congrats is probably not the correct thing to say but I am happy for any team to not lose all of their games (at least in girls hockey...kind of enjoy it in the NFL...sorry Cleveland fans). I believe that they were the last of the teams in MNHS hockey without a win. Any idea what happened to their D1 committed goalie? 5 games played (230 shots faced) and no games played in a little while...

Goalie had hip surgery and out for the season. Might also be out for next season with another surgery. Great to get it all done now before college starts.

Congratulations to Robbinsdale Cooper/Armstrong for the first win on the season.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

IceHiker wrote:Congratulations to Robbinsdale Cooper/Armstrong for the first win on the season.
Always liked what they did with their nickname when the two programs were forced to merge:
Armstrong Falcons + Cooper Hawks = Armstrong/Cooper Wings 8)
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Big congrats to Macy Townsend for scoring the overtime winner in Eden Prairie's upset over Lake Conference rival Edina. It was Townsend's second goal of the game - and just third of the season - which no doubt makes this game extra special and memorable for Macy and her team.
Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar »

IceHiker wrote:
massalsa wrote:Robbinsdale Cooper/Armstrong won last night. Congrats is probably not the correct thing to say but I am happy for any team to not lose all of their games (at least in girls hockey...kind of enjoy it in the NFL...sorry Cleveland fans). I believe that they were the last of the teams in MNHS hockey without a win. Any idea what happened to their D1 committed goalie? 5 games played (230 shots faced) and no games played in a little while...

Goalie had hip surgery and out for the season. Might also be out for next season with another surgery. Great to get it all done now before college starts.

Congratulations to Robbinsdale Cooper/Armstrong for the first win on the season.
FYI

Ciara Wall (Boston Jr. Eagles U16) commits to University of New Hampshire for 2020-2021 @ciarawall33 @BostonJrEagles @UNHWHOCKEY
I am sure it is just insurance.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

From today's Star Tribune:

Prep athletes of the week: 100th career goal for Farmington's Ellie Moser is game-winner, too
A look at top metro athletes and their performances last week

ELLIE MOSER
Farmington • hockey

Farmington girls’ hockey coach Jon Holmes’ appreciation of his senior forward appears to have reached a pinnacle.

“My admiration for Ellie is as high as it can be for any player on the ice, and off the ice she somehow finds a way to even exceed those accolades,” Holmes said.

The Bemidji State recruit scored the 100th goal of her career with 57 seconds remaining, giving the Tigers a 5-4 victory over Prior Lake. It was her second goal of the game and 20th of the season.

Moser has been a 20-goal scorer each of the past three seasons. She helped the Tigers to a fifth-place finish in the Class 2A state tournament a year ago.

“She has the ability, at any moment, to demand the puck and use her physicality and speed to make the game move the way she wants it to,” Holmes said. “No one outworks Ellie at practices and during training. She still, to this day, asks me to stay after practice with her to help her on the fine details of playing hockey.”

And...

CLAIRE BUTORAC
Andover • hockey

Butorac figured in 10 of the Huskies’ 11 goals in their two games last week, a 4-4 tie with Maple Grove and 7-0 victory over Elk River/Zimmerman. She had five goals and five assists. The Minnesota State Mankato recruit has 18 goals and 20 assists on the season.
Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar »

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Red Wing's Taylor Heise, a Minnesota Gopher recruit and Miss Hockey candidate, scored all three goals - including the overtime winner with just 42 seconds remaining - leading the Wingers past the Packers 3-2.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Congrats to Blaine netminder Jaela O'Brien on posting a shutout win, her 7th of the season, in backstopping the Bengals to a 3-0 non-conference win over Minnetonka. O'Brien stopped all 33 Skippers' shots to finish the regular season with a SV% of .928. She will be attending and playing goal for Hamline University in the fall.