7AA

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 pm

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote: Ha! No, not upset at all. I just didn't see where anyone brought it up, so I thought it odd? What was the point or how did it tie into the thread? You don't think that makes sense?

Then, knowing the person, I thought it odd that he made the statement, knowing that he knows very little about the team. He has zero idea where this team fits, yet he throws it into a thread. If he knew the team and the makeup, well then, I guess his opinion would carry more weight. But knowing he doesn't, just makes his opinion less creditable.

He knows very little about Andover's make up either, only what he is told by his Edina friends:)
Sorry just getting back to this after being away from a computer after posting my last post...

Clearly I should not have made that statement. I meant nothing malicious by it. Clearly NORTHWOODS felt that was my intention. Again, it was not. I did not say that they sucked or make a comment about their players or the makeup of their team. Like I stated earlier a couple of people mentioned both of those teams.

Since I do not know anything about CI other than what is on the HUB and having seen one of their players play a few times a year over the past several years (whose game I like a lot and believe that I have been pretty complimentary about as long as I have known her), please tell me about CI.

Next please tell me what I should know about Andover.

I want to know about both teams and I am sure that you know more than I about both teams.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
He knows very little about Andover's make up either, only what he is told by his Edina friends:)
I have heard NOTHING about Andover from any friends I have in Edina...and what in the heck to people in Edina care about Andover other than when their u12 team plays them?

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 pm

massalsa wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
massalsa wrote:Anybody see the GRG game vs Edina care to comment on it? I know that it was in GR.

Andover...

St Francis and Cambridge are not top 20 teams...
I agree that CI is not a top 20 team and find it odd you brought it up as no one made that claim.

I do however know that you know very little about their players and virtually nothing about the team. So for you to put it out there, never taking the time to watch them, is a little disingenuous and makes your opinion less creditable. Before presenting opinions as factual statements, maybe go watch a few teams - well other than Blake and their opponents.
I shortened the quotes above as it is a pet peeve of mine when these threads get very long and hard to negotiate. I tried to keep in the parts that pertain to your response to me.

I apologize if I have offended you NORTHWOODS or anyone else. This thread is about 7AA. I do not claim to be an expert on 7AA or ANY team in the section or the state. This includes "Blake and their opponents." There was no ill intent in my statement about St Francis or Cambridge. They are in the section and had been mentioned by HockeyStorm and then were mentioned again by Rocketwrister and Goaline. I was not trying to take a shot at them but were trying to discuss Andover and made a mistake mentioning them at all. Sorry. I wish them both success and good luck in the season and the Section 7AA tourney.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote: I do however know that you know very little about their players and virtually nothing about the team. So for you to put it out there, never taking the time to watch them, is a little disingenuous and makes your opinion less creditable. Before presenting opinions as factual statements, maybe go watch a few teams - well other than Blake and their opponents.
You are absolutely right that I know very little about their players and virtually nothing about the team. All I know about them and about 85-90% of the teams in the state is who they have played and what the score was.

This is a forum or board for opinions and discussions. Hoping that continues to happen.
No offense taken. Not upset in the least.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:50 pm

massalsa wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote: Ha! No, not upset at all. I just didn't see where anyone brought it up, so I thought it odd? What was the point or how did it tie into the thread? You don't think that makes sense?

Then, knowing the person, I thought it odd that he made the statement, knowing that he knows very little about the team. He has zero idea where this team fits, yet he throws it into a thread. If he knew the team and the makeup, well then, I guess his opinion would carry more weight. But knowing he doesn't, just makes his opinion less creditable.

Sorry just getting back to this after being away from a computer after posting my last post...

Clearly I should not have made that statement. I meant nothing malicious by it. Clearly NORTHWOODS felt that was my intention. Again, it was not. I did not say that they sucked or make a comment about their players or the makeup of their team. Like I stated earlier a couple of people mentioned both of those teams.

Since I do not know anything about CI other than what is on the HUB and having seen one of their players play a few times a year over the past several years (whose game I like a lot and believe that I have been pretty complimentary about as long as I have known her), please tell me about CI.

Next please tell me what I should know about Andover.

I want to know about both teams and I am sure that you know more than I about both teams.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
I have heard NOTHING about Andover from any friends I have in Edina...and what in the heck to people in Edina care about Andover other than when their u12 team plays them?
I just was sharing my opinion that I thought the post was odd, that is all. I qualified my opinion by stating that I know you don't know a lot about the team. Again, I didn't take offense.

I was just messin around about your Edina friends - no one has Edina friends.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:00 am

nu2hockey wrote:
goaline wrote:Andover the team to beat in 7AA, young and getting better — Flake and Andover tilt this Thurs... GRG hangs around with Edina, St Francis back to reality. 7AA is for real

Andover may be the team to beat in 7AA, however, to date I wouldn't claim 7AA is for real..

They are 1-3 against their supposedly top 4 opponents, the one win against ER/Z, who as of yet hasn't beaten a quality opponent. Flake has 3-one goal wins against decidedly weak opponents(MV,Roseville, &Stillwater). so of the 3 supposedly TOP teams in 7AA, at this time, this section has 0 quality wins outside of 7AA....and yes,I have seen these teams play
I haven't seen any of the three play this year. However, I know enough about each team and their players and wouldn't disagree.

Teams from section 7 need to beat good teams from out side section 7, before beating their drums too loud.

FLAKE is the team to beat in section 7, well until someone beats them. They went to state with 11 Freshman on their roster last year. That either says something about their Freshman or the section. Going 0 and 2 in the tourney without even forcing EP to break a sweat, should indicate it was maybe more about the section. However, the Freshman are now Sophomores and I think half have been to state two years in a row now. So until someone from section 7 knocks them off, they should be considered the team to beat. Until section 7 has a good showing in state, maybe the opinions that being "for real" should be tabled for now.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:00 am

Section 7AA has been down for too long. Doing some quick research I believe it's now been nearly 10 years since a 7AA team advanced to the State Championship game. That was Grand Rapids in 2007-08, when they ultimately lost to Eden Prairie in the final. In fact I do not believe that since then any team representing 7AA has even advanced to the semi's. Pretty strange since during this timeframe the boys in 7AA - most notably Grand Rapids and Duluth East - have been so strong.:?

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:00 am

Northwoods and MN make good points.
I take the week off and go to every girls state tournament game in AA. Though I would disagree with Northwoods on the point about the EP Flake game last year. Though the score was never in doubt Flake had the better of the play in the second half of the game. I don't know if that was a result of EP taking the foot off the gas or Flake settling down. Experience in big games is a huge factor. Flake is still really young and they are used to being successful from 10's all the way up. Same with Edina, Brainerd, and the Freshman class from Andover. Flakes problem is going to be how much support they get from players outside of their sophomore class. They are deeper than any other team in 7AA this year. That will change as the Andover kids start moving into the varsity ranks over the next couple of years. Edina and Blake are Just too strong this year and possibly next. I would be willing to wager on either a section 7AA or 8AA State champion in 2020 or 2021

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:52 am

After much thought and seeing teams in the Suburban Beast, including Flake over the past five years and keeping an eye on other 7AA teams this year I do not think the Flakers will advance to the state tournament this year. Unless they can disguise Maddi Nolan and sneak her into section games it's not going to happen. She basically willed her team to the tournament by herself and having a high end player helps in those situations. Elk River has a couple of those and Andover does as well. I'll sit back and wait for the Flakers to go crazy over this and tell me how young they are and how good they will be next year (Every Year). Or maybe I'm a Flaker just venting!

Misterright

Post by Misterright » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:19 pm

... Or maybe you are Maddy Nolens's mom

IceHiker

Post by IceHiker » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:00 pm

highgloveside wrote:After much thought and seeing teams in the Suburban Beast, including Flake over the past five years and keeping an eye on other 7AA teams this year I do not think the Flakers will advance to the state tournament this year. Unless they can disguise Maddi Nolan and sneak her into section games it's not going to happen. She basically willed her team to the tournament by herself and having a high end player helps in those situations. Elk River has a couple of those and Andover does as well. I'll sit back and wait for the Flakers to go crazy over this and tell me how young they are and how good they will be next year (Every Year). Or maybe I'm a Flaker just venting!
Why so much hate for FLake and Sec 7AA. While you are so new to the board you post with such desire and poise for / against FLake. As I might agree after watching all the teams in Sec 7AA this year I would not count anyone out. Unless you know something about a goalie that we do not. FLake has came from the low seed and advanced before so another team can sneak in and take it. Yes Flake is young, as is Andover.

We all know how much you enjoyed watching Maddi play last year and how hard it was for her to come back to a team she wanted to quit after the ER game. After that loss FLake started to play hockey. Could this be their year, as every next year?

As for Sec 7AA, lets give them some love as they are the most talked about Sec on this forum. I think we all secretly love Sec 7AA or Suburban East Conf. Or maybe just WBL.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:14 pm

What was alarming was how Andover handled ER last week, alarming for ER that is. Bounced back to beat Maple Grove though. Will have to work to claim their rightful place in the section final.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:16 am

Andover is for real Beat Flake 4-2 and Blaine 6-3. With the previous win over ERZ the two biggest obstacles to the #1 seed have been taken care of unless they stumble in the rest of their section games which I don't see happening.

oldgoalie85

Post by oldgoalie85 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:34 am

forest lake peaking at the right time. anything less than section champ and at least one win at statewould be a disappointment.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Prepare for a let down when it counts. No scoring punch, No discipline and a goalie who will be called for delay of game soon. Kicked the net off 6 times last game. The refs will be on the lookout from here on out. Does anyone know if the Flake goalie got a shutout last game?

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:20 pm

highgloveside wrote:Prepare for a let down when it counts. No scoring punch, No discipline and a goalie who will be called for delay of game soon. Kicked the net off 6 times last game. The refs will be on the lookout from here on out. Does anyone know if the Flake goalie got a shutout last game?
did she do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Le4LzfoPg&sns=em
Otherwise pretty hard to call

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:07 pm

oldgoalie85 wrote:forest lake peaking at the right time. anything less than section champ and at least one win at statewould be a disappointment.[/quot

I just threw up in my mouth bit. First this thread is getting old. And second no one from this sections going deep in the big show... sorry to say. IT WONT HAPPEN. Goalies or no goalies, coaches or no coaches, good parents, or whining bad parents. This section is at best full of average teams that will have to beat some pretty elite teams that frankly non are capable of... it just won’t happen. Let’s move on to other topics.This section is full of drama which isn’t good for hockey, and frankly it’s run it’s course.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 am

We will find out if Flake is a contender or pretender today at 4;00 when they play Blaine.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:31 am

itsfoilcoach wrote:
oldgoalie85 wrote:forest lake peaking at the right time. anything less than section champ and at least one win at statewould be a disappointment.[/quot

I just threw up in my mouth bit. First this thread is getting old. And second no one from this sections going deep in the big show... sorry to say. IT WONT HAPPEN. Goalies or no goalies, coaches or no coaches, good parents, or whining bad parents. This section is at best full of average teams that will have to beat some pretty elite teams that frankly non are capable of... it just won’t happen. Let’s move on to other topics.This section is full of drama which isn’t good for hockey, and frankly it’s run it’s course.
Yes, "Peaking at the right time" is a weird statement and a little early IMO. I would rather be peaking in a month from now.

As far as getting old? It is funny that you couldn't refrain yourself and felt the need to comment on something you seem bored with. As far as drama, it is also super funny that you felt the need to make a number of negative comments within a subject you feel is not good for hockey. Maybe taking your own advice would be wise.

I believe the MSHL forces teams to actually play the games to decide who gets the honor of going to the tourney. Each section sends a team to state. Maybe we should enjoy the season, let them play the game and see what happens?

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:13 am

itsfoilcoach wrote:

Acording to the scoreboard yesterday looks like 7AA did pretty good. I have watched girls hockey for a lot of years just when you think you figure it out things change.
Upsets all week all over the state.

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:19 pm

Mnnstar wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:

Acording to the scoreboard yesterday looks like 7AA did pretty good. I have watched girls hockey for a lot of years just when you think you figure it out things change.
Upsets all week all over the state.

Before you get all excited ask yourself where are some of the big guns currently. That will clear up a few question on some of the losses. Like Redwing giving up 9 goals in two games. So much for that SV% when Hiese isn’t around. I do agree when it come to girls hockey anything is possible.

On a side note:

It’s intersting how one player effects outcomes of some of these goalies. With 2/3 the season over how can a goalie have less than 1 GA average. Well most people look at it and say.. wow look at those stats. There is always a story behind them. It could be SOS, or multiple D1s players on the roster, or multiple National player/s on there roster, or just some counting error on a consistent basis, or a combination of.. Whatever reason, goalies with great stats like she had (and others) then a player or two leave to play at the national level then the goalies get shellacked like that. You really can’t trust them being reality. Like that Hill goalie a few years ago. Eventually you will have to prove your 96 SV% and your .68 GA and stop a puck that’s not shot from the neutral zone or blue line. The sad thing is these kids like the Hill goalie a few years back gets hit hard at the end because these numbers arnt reflecting their skill set, and other are overlooked with solid numbers. Now for clarification I’m not saying the Redwing goalie is a bad goalie. I’m not inferring that, but you should ask the question when these goalie stats are extremely good...why?

oldgoalie85

Post by oldgoalie85 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:44 pm

easy Foilface. you are a real hater. Stop posting if thread bugs you that much. Maybe you are from the west metro then I think we all understand your issues.

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:44 pm

oldgoalie85 wrote:easy Foilface. you are a real hater. Stop posting if thread bugs you that much. Maybe you are from the west metro then I think we all understand your issues.
Well I don’t believe in participation trophy’s either. Apparently some people do. I like giving accolades where there due. Setting up kids to fail at the college level isn’t doing them any good, or others that might of been if given the chance....That’s my grind. Parent/s (like yourself) clap at such great stats isn’t doing them any good. I’m not picking on anyone except the people with the false sence of reality. It happens all to often these kids don’t play a minute at the college level even though they get a invite of some sort because they’ve never been really tested, (coddled by some) or worked on things neccesary to obtain their skills to win that starting spot and in the end washing out. It’s not about the stat, it’s about improving the player and getting them where they need to be. Those stats impede that progress and gives them a sence of doing better than the really are. But hey give them a Ms Goalie award and let them get cut from a D1 see where that helps them...it’s happened. Good stats don’t make the goalie. From your name you would think you would know some of this and not get caught in the hype.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:56 am

oldgoalie85 wrote:forest lake peaking at the right time. anything less than section champ and at least one win at statewould be a disappointment.
Looks like at least part of your statement is true. FLAKE has won 6 in a row including 3 shutouts against quality opponents. I still think Andover is the team to beat. Looks like they dominated Elk River granted Bizal is in Russia.

goaline

Post by goaline » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Now its down to Andover vs Flake -- offensive vs defensive style -- can the winner grab a quality seed and make some noise in two weeks?

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:56 am

goaline wrote:Now its down to Andover vs Flake -- offensive vs defensive style -- can the winner grab a quality seed and make some noise in two weeks?
Here's the link to the game played in December qctv.cablecast.tv/vod/7607-Girls-Hockey-Forest-Lake-at-Andover-121417-High-v1.mp4
After watching this game It is a tossup. Maybe edge to Flake based on big game experience the past two &AA finals. Going to watch this one Fogerty will be packed.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Yep, lost 4-2 and got outshot but sure, I would say Flake has the slight edge :shock: