Double AA at state by section

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Double AA at state by section

Post by elliott70 »

Section 1
I would love to see Rochester Century but likely LN or LS.
None will fare well at state.

Section 2
Minnetonka - nothing more to say.
Holy Family Chaska Eden Prairie someone could pull the upset, but let's hope that does not happen.
Minnetonka should be hard to stop and should be ranked 1 or 2 and will be hard to stop.
Probably the 1 seed but 2 for sure.

Section 3
STA
Eastview or Rosemount will be in the wings in case STA is not ready.
They should be the 3 or 4 seed.
STA will be in the semis and waiting for Edina or Tonka to slip up.

Section 4
WBL.
And they continue the ofer...

Section 5
Centennial will come in looking for an upset but that will be tough. Maybe Con champs.

Section 6
Edina, Edina, Edina
Of course Wayzata and Cretin will argue the point, but it is Edina.
#1 seed perhaps 2.
Most want to see Edina - Tonka go at it. And most are going to get what they want.

Section 7
DEast or Andover
Likely East and likely the 3 perhaps 4 seed.
It should make a for a great semi game.

Section 8
Moorhead or Brainerd, but Roseau could sneak in or St Mikes.
But for now it is Moorhead.
Moorhead and they could get the 5 seed and hen move off to face Centennial for the Con trophy.

The upsets in sections, well we will wait for the seeding to be done.

Go Hornets.
(or Skippers or Hounds or Spuds...)
inthetwine

Re: Double AA at state by section

Post by inthetwine »

elliott70 wrote:Section 1

Section 2
Holy Family Chaska Eden Prairie someone could pull the upset, but let's hope that does not happen.
Minnetonka should be hard to stop and should be ranked 1 or 2 and will be hard to stop.

Section 3
STA

Section 4
WBL.

Section 5
Centennial will come in looking for an upset but that will be tough. Maybe Con champs.

Section 6
Edina, Edina, Edina
#1 seed perhaps 2.
Most want to see Edina - Tonka go at it. And most are going to get what they want.

Section 7
DEast or Andover

Section 8
Moorhead and they could get the 5 seed and hen move off to face Centennial for the Con trophy.

Go Hornets.
If Moorhead and White Bear make it to the X, why would Moorhead be seeded higher? WBL has a better record, and been ranked higher all year.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

I don’t think you can count Hill-Murray out. I wouldn’t be surprised if they come out of section 4.
elliott70

Re: Double AA at state by section

Post by elliott70 »

inthetwine wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Section 1

Section 2

Section 3
STA

Section 4
WBL.

Section 5

Section 6
Edina, Edina, Edina
#1 seed perhaps 2.

Section 7
DEast or Andover

Section 8

Go Hornets.
If Moorhead and White Bear make it to the X, why would Moorhead be seeded higher? WBL has a better record, and been ranked higher all year.
If memory serves me and if they have not changed it, records have nothing to do with it.
The participating teams' coaches vote on 1-5 not including their own team.
How they determine that is up to them.
So I am just guessing.
And looking for input from others.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I am not really counting Hill out just going with the obvious and believe they will, once again, lose in the QF.
Last edited by elliott70 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

If all top seeds with their section tournament (has that ever happened before?) I would expect the following seeds at the tournament:

1 Minnetonka
2 Edina
3 St. Thomas Academy
4 Duluth East
5 Moorhead

I think Edina is the best team in the state and any of 1-4 have a legitimate shot of winning. Of those top 4 I feel Duluth East is the most likely to be upset in sections.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Traxler wrote:If all top seeds with their section tournament (has that ever happened before?) I would expect the following seeds at the tournament:

1 Minnetonka
2 Edina
3 St. Thomas Academy
4 Duluth East
5 Moorhead

I think Edina is the best team in the state and any of 1-4 have a legitimate shot of winning. Of those top 4 I feel Duluth East is the most likely to be upset in sections.
(DEast upset) By GRapids in the QF Unless something drastic happens in the last two games and QRF is remodeled to correct their errors in judgment (putting GR against Andover).
Last edited by elliott70 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

elliott70 wrote:
Traxler wrote:If all top seeds with their section tournament (has that ever happened before?) I would expect the following seeds at the tournament:

1 Minnetonka
2 Edina
3 St. Thomas Academy
4 Duluth East
5 Moorhead

By GRapids in the QF Unless something drastic happens in the last two games an QRF is remodeled to correct their errors in judgment).
I think East could lose to Grand Rapids, Cloquet, or Duluth Marshall. I doubt any of the other teams will be within 5 goals.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Traxler wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

1 Minnetonka
2 Edina
3 St. Thomas Academy
4 Duluth East
5 Moorhead

By GRapids in the QF Unless something drastic happens in the last two games an QRF is remodeled to correct their errors in judgment).
I think East could lose to Grand Rapids, Cloquet, or Duluth Marshall. I doubt any of the other teams will be within 5 goals.
Andover?

Sat, Dec 9 at Duluth East wins 9-3

This looks bad but it was over two months ago.....
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

I don’t think Andover would pose any problems for East. The three I mentioned seem to get up for games against East. And everyone knows Elk River can’t play well at Amsoil. They are too full of self pity for having to play in Duluth.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

elliott70 wrote:
Traxler wrote:
elliott70 wrote: By GRapids in the QF Unless something drastic happens in the last two games an QRF is remodeled to correct their errors in judgment).
Andover?

Sat, Dec 9 at Duluth East wins 9-3

This looks bad but it was over two months ago.....
Hanson had several huge saves for the Hounds in the Andover game. Huskies looked good offensively that day but both their goaltenders were shaky. I’d expect a rematch to be closer
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

I believe the coaches vote 1-7 for state not voting for their own teams. Usually is seems as if the seeds follow the Lets Play Hockey rankings. Id also say if the top 4 make it East would be 3 over STA as they have the tougher road to state vs STA
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Usthockey13 wrote:I believe the coaches vote 1-7 for state not voting for their own teams. Usually is seems as if the seeds follow the Lets Play Hockey rankings. Id also say if the top 4 make it East would be 3 over STA as they have the tougher road to state vs STA
Good catch on the 1-7.....
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

elliott70 wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:I believe the coaches vote 1-7 for state not voting for their own teams. Usually is seems as if the seeds follow the Lets Play Hockey rankings. Id also say if the top 4 make it East would be 3 over STA as they have the tougher road to state vs STA
Since the coaches vote 1-7 why don't they seed all 8 teams? I guess it doesn't matter if the top 3 are playing 6, 7, or 8, but if they have the data to seed them all, I don't understand why they don't.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Traxler wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Since the coaches vote 1-7 why don't they seed all 8 teams? I guess it doesn't matter if the top 3 are playing 6, 7, or 8, but if they have the data to seed them all, I don't understand why they don't.
No hurt feelings????
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

elliott70 wrote:
Traxler wrote:
elliott70 wrote: Good catch on the 1-7.....
No hurt feelings????
Give them all a trophy...
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

Traxler wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
I've never understood this either. I'm guessing it is the "no hurt feelings" crowd, but they seed all the way through in sections... why not state?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Duluth East is not going to lose to Grand Rapids.
Be kind. Rewind.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

elliott70 wrote:

1 Minnetonka
2 Edina
3 St. Thomas Academy
4 Duluth East
5 Moorhead

(DEast upset) By GRapids in the QF Unless something drastic happens in the last two games and QRF is remodeled to correct their errors in judgment (putting GR against Andover).
I’m happy for the GR Seniors that they got their lone quality win of the season over Cloquet (the same goes for Superior) 👍 That being said, after watching DE vs MG last night, if GR & DE meet in the QRF...it will be a cold day in hell before GR beats DE in 2017-2018. 😉 DE is simply too good. And the team with the best chance of giving DE a run for their money...is 20 win Andover, who beat Centennial twice, Blaine twice, DM, Cloquet & ER this year. And don’t sleep on ER, some day the worm will turn for them at Amsoil too.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

No doubt.

However, if Rapids beats Cambridge-Isanti in the play-in game, I imagine they will oblige East to show-up anyway and play the game.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

hockey59 wrote:And don’t sleep on ER, some day the worm will turn for them at Amsoil too.
Also a cold day in Hell.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Anyone know the history of Elk River’s section assignment? I know they were in Section 8 in the 90s and then Section 7. Assigned to the one for the northwest Suburban and won state in 2001 out of that section. I think they have only won Section 7 once when they beat Hibbing in three or four overtimes. Is this right?
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

greenwayraider wrote:Anyone know the history of Elk River’s section assignment? I know they were in Section 8 in the 90s and then Section 7. Assigned to the one for the northwest Suburban and won state in 2001 out of that section. I think they have only won Section 7 once when they beat Hibbing in three or four overtimes. Is this right?
All right, get ready. Elks must be the most section-shifted team in the state since 1990:

1990 & 1991 - Section 2
1992 & 1993 - Section 4
1994 thru 1997 - Section 8
1998 & 1999 - Section 7 ('99 beat Hibbing in 3 OTs, after which Sarlsland famously stated that the Elks should not be in this section)
2000 thru 2005 - Section 4
2006 to present - Section 7
boblee

Post by boblee »

Not that it matters, but I absolutely love having Elk River in 7AA. Makes the section deeper and more dynamic. And they've only come out of it once. :D