Warroad Academy.. Did they recruit enough to win state?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SS729

Warroad Academy.. Did they recruit enough to win state?

Post by SS729 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Just wondering how Warroad can get away with what they do to get themselves to the state tournament almost every yr out of Section 8.
They had to bring in a Canadian goalie at the beginning of the yr and when she couldn't do the the job they brought a goalie in from GF ND at Christmas break to get them past EGF. If you look at the roster half of the kids that play are not from Warroad. Even after beating EGF in the finals the coach had to tell his players "Even if you didn't grow up here your are still a warrior" . If you look back at their successfully girls that went on to play none are from there except the Marvins and once the kids are done the Parents leave town. Nobody in Section 8 can figure out why MN hockey allows Warroad to do what they do. The Coach has the resources and backing to bring anybody he needs to get the job done for his benefit. he is a great recruiter... Look at the other top teams, EGf had all 11 seniors all in program from the start. Same goes to TRF. They have all kids that have went through the program. To bad that the section 8a title is bought by warroad every yr...

HockeyStorm

Post by HockeyStorm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Agree - At least make them play AA

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Not sure how you could police this. If they are attending school there, they can play hockey there. If MSHSL changed the rules, it would negatively impact families who move for the right reasons. It is the same conversation as Hermantown on the boys side. You would think both programs would want to go AA in order to match up against the best.

So to answer your question: They get away with it because, technically, they are following the rules (even if they are not following the spirit of the rules).

On another note, they have only won 2 state championships ('10, '11) so it's not like they have dominated the field.

I do respect Roseau a lot more than Warroad for their willingness to play against the best versus chasing the easier trophy.

ramstein

moving to a town

Post by ramstein » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:00 pm

I was curious at what age does someone that moves to a town not considered a recruit. We are know that Warroad has had players move to town. Don't miss understand my question as defending Warroad. But my question is if they move to town and play 8U and continue to live there after a player gradulates are they a recruit?

skatez

Post by skatez » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Which players moved to town, and when did they move?

Agree its hard to call someone that moves in during U8 a recruit. U12 or HS is different.

Just wondering who moved and when?

SS729

Post by SS729 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:50 pm

The vast majority move to warroad their freshman yr. that way they can live with foster families and don’t have to have their parents there or buy a house like the goalie that came over Christmas. Her father is well to do so buying a cheap house was nothing for them. I personally know people that have been offered jobs and places to stay up there for there kids to go there for 3 yrs.

nu2hockey

Re: Warroad Academy.. Did they recruit enough to win state?

Post by nu2hockey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:15 pm

SS729 wrote:.
They had to bring in a Canadian goalie at the beginning of the yr and when she couldn't do the the job they brought a goalie in from GF ND at Christmas break to get them past EGF. .

Something doesn't add up here...either ss729 is just throwing out accusations or WARROAD has a problem..It is my understanding that a kid can't be added to the team at Christmas, The MSHSL has a deadline of NOVEMBER 10, 2017 for the ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION FORM to be completed. This is done on every kid (jv & v).

So, unless I am missing something, ss729, are you saying this kid joined the team at Christmas and was not already rostered and verified on NOV 10?

SS729

Post by SS729 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:48 pm

I know what happened. She was in Vermont to start yr and didn’t like it. She told people last summer she went on an official visit to warroad before last yr. At Christmas break she started playing in warroad because she couldn’t play in gf nd , but if her parent moved to warroad which they did by purchasing a home there. Their huge house in gf became their so called summer home.. By a family member moving there it is al legit I guess. If anybody wants to look into it has happened for yrs in hometown hockey!!

slowD

Post by slowD » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Just wondering why Warroad gets singled out... I remember hearing a story for a boy that played ushl last year and came back to high school but couldn't play in his home state so his parents rented an apartment in egf for the season and he played for egf... Any private school in the metro pushes hard to get players, especially top end players, and the public schools are following suit. Players will move to play wherever THE PARENTS think their kid will get the best chance of playing either on a winning team or a team that will provide a college opportunity. If a family moves to a town and there is an employer who has over 50% of the population who works there it would only seem fitting that a family who moves in for whatever reason would get a job there if there is an opening. No dog in the fight but have heard this debate for years now and always find it funny that egf and trf are always innocent and the victim.

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:47 pm

SS729 wrote:I know what happened. She was in Vermont to start yr and didn’t like it. She told people last summer she went on an official visit to warroad before last yr. At Christmas break she started playing in warroad because she couldn’t play in gf nd , but if her parent moved to warroad which they did by purchasing a home there. Their huge house in gf became their so called summer home.. By a family member moving there it is al legit I guess. If anybody wants to look into it has happened for yrs in hometown hockey!!
Haters are going to Hate

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:41 pm

Edina has had high-level hockey players move in for youth and HS hockey for at least three decades. Probably four.
Be kind. Rewind.

Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 am

I thought you had to sit out a year of varsity when you move

LSQRANK

Post by LSQRANK » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:03 am

Joe2015 wrote:I thought you had to sit out a year of varsity when you move
sit out only if you move schools and not move your residence.
If you "move" to another location outside of your previous school district,
then the move is legal in the eyes of MSHSL rules.

slowD

Post by slowD » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:33 am

When Warroad's sophmore and freshman class were in 12u they went to state. They had succesful seasons at the youth level and their 12u are a top 10 team in state this year and the 10u team has beat eveyone in their district except Roseau. So why is it that even though they beat their section rivals TRF and EGF all the way through youth hockey that it is such a big suprise when they beat them in high school? They were winning before the "imports" came it appears to me...

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 am

Only one private school representing AA this year. They will be sending out a marketing barrage this summer. What warroad is allegedly doing is not much different than the private schools pooling players together. Makes more of a difference on the girls side of things, you add 2 high end girls to a HS girls team and you just went from a 10 win team to 15 wins, maybe more.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:29 am

slowD wrote:When Warroad's sophmore and freshman class were in 12u they went to state. They had succesful seasons at the youth level and their 12u are a top 10 team in state this year and the 10u team has beat eveyone in their district except Roseau. So why is it that even though they beat their section rivals TRF and EGF all the way through youth hockey that it is such a big suprise when they beat them in high school? They were winning before the "imports" came it appears to me...
2015 12 U A State Tournament EGF
Roseau
Brainerd
Rochester
St. Paul
Forest Lake
Minnetonka
Andover
Edina
The only State tournament I saw from 14 on that Warroad made was in 2016.
Roseau went from that district in 2014 and last year.

ramstein

Post by ramstein » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:59 am

Mnnstar wrote:
slowD wrote:When Warroad's sophmore and freshman class were in 12u they went to state. They had succesful seasons at the youth level and their 12u are a top 10 team in state this year and the 10u team has beat eveyone in their district except Roseau. So why is it that even though they beat their section rivals TRF and EGF all the way through youth hockey that it is such a big suprise when they beat them in high school? They were winning before the "imports" came it appears to me...
2015 12 U A State Tournament EGF
Roseau
Brainerd
Rochester
St. Paul
Forest Lake
Minnetonka
Andover
Edina
The only State tournament I saw from 14 on that Warroad made was in 2016.
Roseau went from that district in 2014 and last year.

Hermantown
OMG
Andover - Champions
Chaska
Edina Green
Warroad
Minnetonka
Centennial

The Freshman were on that team.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:09 pm

SS729 wrote:Just wondering how Warroad can get away with what they do to get themselves to the state tournament almost every yr out of Section 8.
They had to bring in a Canadian goalie at the beginning of the yr and when she couldn't do the the job they brought a goalie in from GF ND at Christmas break to get them past EGF. If you look at the roster half of the kids that play are not from Warroad. Even after beating EGF in the finals the coach had to tell his players "Even if you didn't grow up here your are still a warrior" . If you look back at their successfully girls that went on to play none are from there except the Marvins and once the kids are done the Parents leave town. Nobody in Section 8 can figure out why MN hockey allows Warroad to do what they do. The Coach has the resources and backing to bring anybody he needs to get the job done for his benefit. he is a great recruiter... Look at the other top teams, EGf had all 11 seniors all in program from the start. Same goes to TRF. They have all kids that have went through the program. To bad that the section 8a title is bought by warroad every yr...
Here's why:http://www.ndhighschoolhockey.com/North ... eamid=2147

QUINN KUNTZ
Last team: Warroad High |women| - 2018

BIRTHYEAR 2001-00-00 BIRTHPLACE ND, USA
AGE 17 NATION USA
POSITION G CATCHES -
HEIGHT - cm / - WEIGHT - kg / - lbs

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP GAA SVS% POSTSEASON GP GAA SVS%
2015-16 Grand Forks Cen./Red River USHS (W) 13 2.50 .906 |
2016-17 Grand Forks Cen./Red River USHS (W) 19 2.58 .927 |
2017-18 Warroad High USHS (W) 12 0.67 .966 | Playoffs 2 0.50 .971
Played first game 12/21 2017
Last edited by Mnnstar on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slowD

Post by slowD » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Sorry, you are correct ramstein... I was thinking the sophmores were on that team also but it was the freshman and the couple 8th graders who logged varsity time. Every program promotes itself. Some do it better than others. I am sure that if a projected Ms. Hockey or Mr. Hockey or D1 commit choose to come play hockey at "X" school that they would be welcomed.

HockeyStorm

Post by HockeyStorm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:23 pm

No other school in Class A has the financial resources available to it that Warroad does, plain and simple. They have players from 3 states and Canada.
Case in point for their best D, hometown and high school don't jive;

Hometown: La Crosse, WI
Nation: United States
Position: D
Shot: R
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 160
Current Team: Warroad High School
Commit: Wisconsin | 2019
Grad Year: 2019

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:54 pm

HockeyStorm wrote:No other school in Class A has the financial resources available to it that Warroad does, plain and simple. They have players from 3 states and Canada.

Hometown: La Crosse, WI
Nation: United States
Position: D
Shot: R
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 160
Current Team: Warroad High School
Commit: Wisconsin | 2019
Grad Year: 2019
Interesting I know of a another Wisc player Mercyhurst commit that decided to go to selects academy instead of Warroad. She was a D also.
When Polairis was strictly in Roseau, recruiting was done also but quietly no where near as overtly as Warroad. Now that corp HQ is in Twin Cities Roseau is pretty much homegrown.

Bandy

Post by Bandy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:20 pm

SS729 wrote: ... Nobody in Section 8 can figure out why MN hockey allows Warroad to do what they do. ...
To clarify one point, MN Hockey regulates the youth side. Minnesota State High School League regulates the high school side.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:47 pm

HockeyStorm wrote:No other school in Class A has the financial resources available to it that Warroad does, plain and simple. They have players from 3 states and Canada.

There are plenty of schools with more resources than Warroad. It's 14k per year at most privates and much more in some cases. However I'm sure 5 of the top 10 players on a private school team don't pay much.

pepperpot

Post by pepperpot » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Hermantown has been doing it for years for both girls and boys. The mirage team a few years ago had 6 or 7 they stole from Duluth. A couple of forwards a couple d and their goalie. They tried to get one or two of our girls from Cloquet too. That team went to state and Duluths team went to the outhouse. :twisted: The state high school league doesn't care. It's not cheating if you don't get caught.

skatez

Post by skatez » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Not an expert here but did the Eden Prairie goalie play youth hockey in EP?

Doesn't Eagan have a girl who played for Farmington in youth hockey?

Didn't South St. Paul's goalie play youth hockey in Hastings?

Didn't Forest Lake's superstar goalie play in two or three different youth associations?

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Warroad is not the only public school that has players "move in". Far from it.