Warroad Academy.. Did they recruit enough to win state?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hockeylogger

Post by Hockeylogger » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Sounds like a lot of sour grapes by SS729. All but 4 girls on the Warroad team have been in Warroad since 8th grade or before, 7 of them were on the 12u team that went to state 3 years ago. At what point are they considered a recruit? Does EGF check everyone's birth certificate at the start of the year to ensure that they are the "Homegrown" player that they make sure they let everyone know about.

I didn't see any posts on here by SS729 when Nick Lund came to EGF last year and scored 25 goals for the EGF boys team that made it to state, or anything about EGF's starting goalie this year being a transfer from Moorhead. I guess the boys team can't hang up the "Homegrown" signs like the girls.

Also, it was very convenient that RLF decided to quit their co-op with Crookston and switch to a co-op with TRF the year that promising hs recruit from RLF (now TRF's leading scorer) was heading into hs. Just a coincidence I guess.

Players moving to different teams happens all over the state, so much in the metro that it is hard to even keep track. My guess as to why SS729 and the rest of EGF are so butt hurt this year is because they know that this was their last hurrah to go to state for a long time because they know Warroad owns them at all the youth levels.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Wish there was an "eating popcorn" emoticon, because this is getting pretty good. Two men enter, one man leave.

JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:27 am

pepperpot wrote:Hermantown has been doing it for years for both girls and boys. The mirage team a few years ago had 6 or 7 they stole from Duluth. A couple of forwards a couple d and their goalie. They tried to get one or two of our girls from Cloquet too. That team went to state and Duluths team went to the outhouse. :twisted: The state high school league doesn't care. It's not cheating if you don't get caught.
False! PHM did no recruiting. Fake news!! Yes, some girls did come over from Duluth, but that was all parents from the dysfunctional Duluth program. Parents have been bickering amongst themselves for years and it finally took it's toll. Don't blame PHM for their dysfunction.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 am

Everybody recruits some just do it better and more quietly than others.
http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_ar ... l-articles

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:05 am

I can't help but look at this whole situation a bit differently. Families that move to another school (or association) purely for hockey reasons usually fall into one of these categories:

1) My kid is just way too good to be playing on this crappy team. He/she should be playing with other "elite" players. I would guess 10-20% of these parents have a valid beef. If your kid is truly elite and plays in a terrible program maybe it makes sense to move or open enroll elsewhere. A good percentage of these parents overvalue their player and probably have burnt bridges with the other families who are happy to see them go.

2) The parents or kid have burnt bridges with the program by second guessing every decision and lobby only for themselves and doing nothing for the organization itself. Other families are happy to see them go.

3) They are running away from an organization that is poorly run. Maybe toxic coaching at their level that appears will never go away? Can't blame the family for that.

I think if the player is in a healthy situation, odds are they will laugh off any "recruitment" offer and stay playing with their friends. If they are unhappy with their situation they are probably out shopping their player to other programs.

All in all, most programs that I am decent knowledge of (10-12 maybe?) all have multiple players who moved in for one reason or another, and a few that have moved out.

I don't know if it will ever change, as there are very legitimate reasons for many students to switch schools or associations. Can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. My take has always been if player A no longer wants to be a part of our program, then we probably don't want him/her anyway. Tough pill to swallow for many programs, but it is what it is.

SS729

Post by SS729 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Hockeylogger, you can defend the girls in Warroad all you want to make yourself feel it is right. I have went through the roster with someone from Warroad and there are 7 girls on the roster right now that played in the youth level and 3 don't play . that leave 3/4th of a team and the 2 goalies that have been brought in.. the goalie that grew up through your system that was suppose to play this year will never play a varsity game... Was really funny I was shown a twitter feed from one of the girls that is local and it stated something close to "doesn't matter where your from all of you are IMPORTant to us...." It was taken down rather quickly.. I love how people look for excuses on why this is ok ...

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:34 pm

729er
What is your solution to this problem?

slowD

Post by slowD » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:27 pm

SS729 what do you consider youth hockey? If 12u and 10u are youth hockey then I would like to know where you got your stats from? I would love for you to name the 75% that didn't play youth hockey in Warroad. I find it tough to believe that there are that many girls that didn't show up until 8th grade or later. Maybe you can inform us.

Hockeylogger

Post by Hockeylogger » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:45 am

SS729, I understand you might have been hanging out with the EGF parent's and are as drunk as the mom's that showed up in Warroad with throw up on their face for the games in Warroad but your facts are still wrong.

As I stated before 7 of the girls on the team are the same ones that played in the 12u state tournament 3 years ago. According to you these are the only ones that ever played at the youth level. Actually 11 of them played at the youth level for Warroad, most of them all the way through. The only 2 that haven't been here since 8th grade or before are the goalies. Once we had Kuntz you knew you didn't have a chance. Whoever it was that went thru the roster with you from Warroad was some bitter JV parent whose kid would have never played anyways.

I noticed you didn't respond to anything about the EGF boys team, hard to throw stones when you live in a glass house.

Take your medicine and move on, from what I've heard you should start looking for a new head coach. Enright is on his way out because he knows he can't beat Warroad and will be lucky to keep his teaching job after making threats to Warroad parents after their loss.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 am

Easy fix play AA like Blake does.
Logger not cool to attack the EGF coach. I know for a fact that Izzy is not the most politically correct person in the world. If he didn't live in Warroad and his last name wasn't Marvin he would not be coaching with some of the stuff he has pulled.

jackstraw

Post by jackstraw » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:29 am

Not cool to attack coach, then attack coach?

pepperpot

Post by pepperpot » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:08 am

JohnnyBuck wrote: False! PHM did no recruiting. Fake news!!

OK Johnny Trump. You're like a parrot. Hermantown boys and the Mirage has been recruiting for years. Like I said you even tried taking a couple of our girls a few years back. Did those 7 girls move into the district? No of course not. Now that the silver spooners have a girls team back at Marshall recruiting just got a little bit tougher for you.

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:40 pm

skatez wrote:Not an expert here but did the Eden Prairie goalie play youth hockey in EP?
??

skatez

Post by skatez » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:33 pm

I thought someone had told me that Eden Prairie's goalie played youth hockey for Osseo Maple Grove.

This could very possibly be incorrect information, please let me know if it was wrong.

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:57 pm

pepperpot wrote:

OK Johnny Trump. You're like a parrot. Hermantown boys and the Mirage has been recruiting for years. Like I said you even tried taking a couple of our girls a few years back. Did those 7 girls move into the district? No of course not. Now that the silver spooners have a girls team back at Marshall recruiting just got a little bit tougher for you.
HAHAHA Pepper POT-stirer HAHAHAHAHA Most know of a couple of the Duluth kids that went over...if it was you would you of really stayed if it was your dad who got ran out? no way, Come on! Doubtful at best any Cloquet girts were "recruited"....fill us in.

:lol: :lol:

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:48 pm

skatez wrote:I thought someone had told me that Eden Prairie's goalie played youth hockey for Osseo Maple Grove.

This could very possibly be incorrect information, please let me know if it was wrong.
There was an EP goalie (Padgett) from Maple Grove 3-4 years ago. She wasn't going to get any playing time at MG. They had 3-4 girls that were looking for ice time, and EP didn't have any goalies. The current EP goalie (Dobchuk) started around the same time (8th grade for her). It will be tough to replace Dobber. She's been so good and so dependable for so long.

When my daughter started hockey she was "strongly encouraged" to play goal and did so for a few seasons. Way back in U6 they already saw a goalie shortage that wouldn't appear for 10 years and try as hard as they might the association couldn't fill the hole.

This thread has an unnecessarily hostile tone.

skatez

Post by skatez » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:12 am

Thanks for filling me in.

No hostility here. I see nothing wrong with a family deciding to go to a certain school if they believe their child's experience will be better, whether its for academics, arts, or athletics reasons. Coaches going out an actively pursuing families is a different story and I'm guessing very rare. (I'll let the northern parents take it from here!!).

Good for the EP goalie, I assume she is having a great experience and happy with her choice. I hope her high school career ends great.

hockey21

Question was Did Warroad recruit enough to win the Class A

Post by hockey21 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am

State Title

No more the Breck did, so even playing field. At Least Warroad says it is for hockey and Not something else

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:49 am

Can you name some of the recruits that came to Roseau when Polaris was headquartered here? Don't get us involved in anything that may be going on to the East!
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!

pepperpot

Post by pepperpot » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:12 pm

Upfan111 wrote:if it was you would you of really stayed if it was your dad who got ran out?

HAhahaha upchuck fan. Typical response from parents now days. When the going gets tough, tell your kid to quit and just move. Duluth must be really mean to run out 7 dads. :roll: And I'd never name a girls name on this forum. You seem to be pretty close to the team so ask the coach.

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:32 pm

pepperpot wrote:
Upfan111 wrote:if it was you would you of really stayed if it was your dad who got ran out?

HAhahaha upchuck fan. Typical response from parents now days. When the going gets tough, tell your kid to quit and just move. Duluth must be really mean to run out 7 dads. :roll: And I'd never name a girls name on this forum. You seem to be pretty close to the team so ask the coach.
Pepe Le Pew, I'm not talking about 7 dads (and I thiink your count is off) but of the former head and assistant. NO WAY if you were in those shoes you keep your daughter on that same team. no way. And if I recall, assistant moved into district, while HC daughter sat out jr. year. AND you mentioned Cloquet kids being recruited. Doubtful at best, unless JV squad needed more kids.

JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:04 pm

pepperpot wrote:

Bahhhhhhhh!! Fake news!! No one recruited your kids! Parents come over? Their choice. Get over it.