State Tournament Scores

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:50 pm

Edina 4, Brainerd/Little Falls 0
Although the Warriors couldn't get on the scorecard, they got better each period and gave it everything they had until the final horn. Congrats to them on playing hard the whole way and keeping the Hornets scoreless in the 3rd.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:43 pm

Eden Prairie vs. Andover
After one period, no score, no penalties, and very few quality scoring chances. Andover had the edge in play overall, as reflected by their slim 9-7 advantage in shots on goal.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:23 pm

Play opened up considerably in the 2nd period, but still 0-0. Eden Prairie had a much better period, outshooting Andover 16-5. You get the feeling that the next goal very well may be the game winner in what's so far been a real defensive battle.

On a side note, how many minutes does Crystalyn Hengler typically get? Seems like she's always out there, and conserving her energy to keep it that way 'till the final buzzer.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:07 pm

In our final Quarterfinal game it was 5th seeded Eden Prairie in a mild upset of 4th seeded Andover, 2-0 with an empty netter at the end. U of M recruit Crystalyn Hengler got the winner just a little over a minute into the 3rd and Becca Kniss with the clincher a little less than a minute to go. But probably the game's No. 1 star was Colgate-bound Alexa Dobchuk who stopped all 28 Andover shots for the shutout.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:36 pm

Interesting to see which teams have advanced to the semi's while noting where they were seeded coming into the two tournaments:

Class A
#1 - Warroad
#2 - Breck
#4 - Alexandria
Unseeded - Proctor/Hermantown

Class AA
#1 - Edina
#2 - Centennial
#5 - Eden Prairie
Unseeded - Eagan

It would seem to be a year when you did not want to be the #3 seed in either class.

hockey21

Post by hockey21 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:54 am

Another fantastic semi final in class A for Breck 17-1 in shots after the 1st period, keep playing A I guess that , is the challenge they want

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:56 am

Breck scores the only goal of the opening period in their semifinal with Proctor/Hermantown. A very pretty goal from in close, with Gabby Billing making a perfect pass to Emily Zumwinkle, who put a nice move on the Mirage goaltender (Ryan Gray) and tucked it in. Otherwise Gray came up big, stopping 16 Breck shots which kept the Mirage in the game.

Meanwhile the Mirage offense has been almost non-existent, putting only one shot on the 7th grade Breck goalie, Uma Corneia. But that one shot was a breakaway, forcing Corneia to make a big save to keep the Mustangs up by a goal.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:08 pm

It appears that #3 seed HILL MURRAY has lost to unseeded LVL SOUTH (1-4) and is the first seeded team out of the STATE TOURNEY.....(according to mshsl)

LVL SOUTH moves on to play the winner of ANDOVER V B/LF

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:50 pm

Breck's offense comes alive, scoring three goals in the 2nd to go up 4-0. We got to see Emily Zumwinkle's blistering slap shot, very much in the mold of her older sister (and now Gopher) Grace. Mirage goaltender Ryan Gray had no chance. Shots are now 28-6.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Final: Breck 6, Proctor/Hermantown 0

Emily Zumwinkle named the Player of the Game, with two goals and an assist.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:22 pm

4th seed Alexandria and top seeded Warroad are tied at 1-1 after one. Alex jumped out to an early lead with a nice backhand pass from McKenna Ellingson behind the net to Anna Doherty out front. Doherty one-timed it into the net past Warroad goaltender Quinn Kuntz. Warroad evened the score later in the period on a beautiful effort from Hannah Corneliusen, who went end-to-end and made a great move at the goalmouth and scored.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:03 pm

After killing off a full two minute disadvantage Alex turns the puck over in their own zone, and the Warriors' Genevieve Hendrickson makes them pay on a great shot off the far pipe. Warroad scores again on Kaitlyn Kotlowski's hard slap shot from the point, this one on the power play. After receiving a beautiful pass from Karlie Meeker, Hannah Corneliusen one-times it and makes it 4-1 on yet another power play.

Alex could only generate two shots on net in the period, and this will obviously have to change if they have any hope of getting back in the game.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:11 pm

In the 2A Consolation Bracket Andover edges Brainerd/Little Falls 4-3 in overtime, scoring four consecutive goals after getting down by three. They will play Lakeville South for the Consolation Championship.

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/game/sh ... er=3519982

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:17 pm

I had to laugh reading the writeup on the Brek-Proctor/Hermantown game and seeing this line:

"Part of Breck’s winning formula is depth and rolling multiple lines"

I don't doubt it is true, but I remember the last game Breck played in the state tournament. In 2012 against South St. Paul they rode the back of one Mustang. I wouldn't be surprised if Kate Schipper forgot where the player bench was, she saw so little of it. It was an amazing display of endurance and fortitude.

Glad we don't see that kind of performance anymore.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:44 pm

Warroad wins going away 7-1. With two goals and an assist, Kaitlyn Kotlowski was named Player of the Game. Looking forward to their championship game vs. Breck - should be a dandy.

Note: I will be at Ridder tonight to see the Gopher women play St. Cloud State. If anyone wants to post short game summaries or just comment on the two AA semi's tonight, feel free.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:08 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:I had to laugh reading the writeup on the Brek-Proctor/Hermantown game and seeing this line:

I don't doubt it is true, but I remember the last game Breck played in the state tournament. In 2012 against South St. Paul they rode the back of one Mustang. I wouldn't be surprised if Kate Schipper forgot where the player bench was, she saw so little of it. It was an amazing display of endurance and fortitude.

I was not at that game but thought that I heard from someone that it was Milica McMillan who was on the ice for virtually the whole game.

A current version of someone who logs mega minutes (have seen her play almost an entire 3rd period + overtime at last years section final) is Hengler from EP.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:30 pm

massalsa wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:I had to laugh reading the writeup on the Brek-Proctor/Hermantown game and seeing this line:

I was not at that game but thought that I heard from someone that it was Milica McMillan who was on the ice for virtually the whole game.

A current version of someone who logs mega minutes (have seen her play almost an entire 3rd period + overtime at last years section final) is Hengler from EP.[/qu ote]

It was Milica....and there is a huge difference in play between the two...milica was all over the place,hengler is more passive and uses her hands to make plays...it works for both

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:17 pm

Class A 3rd Place

Alexandria 1, Proctor/Hermantown 0

Kaci Trosvig with the winning goal; Hailee Bailey with an 18 save shutout.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Class AA 3rd Place

Eagan 3, Eden Prairie 0

Taylor Anderson with the hat trick; Alicia Cimochowski with a 31 save shutout.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:36 pm

Sami Rieber going with the Mike Grant route on the refs in the interview after the 2nd period.

thegreatone99

Post by thegreatone99 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:08 am

alcloseshaver wrote:Sami Rieber going with the Mike Grant route on the refs in the interview after the 2nd period.
Typical Edina ...

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:40 am

thegreatone99 wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Sami Rieber going with the Mike Grant route on the refs in the interview after the 2nd period.
Typical Edina ...
You could see it coming as she spoke with the refs right before the interview. I thought she did a pretty good job of not saying anything more.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:00 am

ghshockeyfan wrote:
thegreatone99 wrote:
Typical Edina ...
You could see it coming as she spoke with the refs right before the interview. I thought she did a pretty good job of not saying anything more.
It was a good move on her part. She really let the ref “have it” at the end of the period. I’m always for coaches doing this at the “right” time, as some refs give into it. Keep in mind, I say some refs, not all or many. And that was the right time for her to give the refs a piece of her mind as Centennial got hit with two penalties right away in the 3rd. The Cent penalties were legit, but the refs were letting that stuff go earlier in the game. Some of these refs get scared when yelled at and it changes the flow of how they call a game. It’s either that, or it’s the classic “make-up” called to even the penalty minutes. I have yet to find the “make-up” call policy in the ref handbook, but It happens, sometimes more than it should.