Wisconsin Prep Hockey Moving to Two Classes

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Schotzy

Wisconsin Prep Hockey Moving to Two Classes

Post by Schotzy »

I was watching the Wisconsin State Tournament on My9. They mentioned in an interview that they will be moving to a two class system in two years.

By the way, Hudson beat Eau Claire Memorial 7-1 for the championship.

Yes, I know this forum is for MN HS Hockey, but thought this might be of interest to some.
Joe2015

Re: Wisconsin Prep Hockey Moving to Two Classes

Post by Joe2015 »

Schotzy wrote:I was watching the Wisconsin State Tournament on My9. They mentioned in an interview that they will be moving to a two class system in two years.

Yes, I know this forum is for MN HS Hockey, but thought this might be of interest to some.
They say much else? 8 teams from each class?
Schotzy

Re: Wisconsin Prep Hockey Moving to Two Classes

Post by Schotzy »

Joe2015 wrote:
Schotzy wrote:I was watching the Wisconsin State Tournament on My9. They mentioned in an interview that they will be moving to a two class system in two years.

They say much else? 8 teams from each class?
They did not provide those details, but mentioned it as a way to get more smaller schools from smaller youth associations involved. Hoping to grow the sport. I can see why they would want to. Hudson is probably going to win about another 8-straight.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Hudson’s enrollment is 1,697 and Hermantown’s enrollment is 629.
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

I like this for a few reasons.
#1 Wisconsin does not have a real hockey history in the same way Minnesota does. They don’t have a Roseau or Evelith. They just have a bunch of schools that always generally win. This system won’t change that. It will allow a second class for those who would never get a chance to play in Madison.
#2 It will bring actual playoff hockey to a huge number of schools. The schools that always played the #1 seed and got knocked out immediately will actually have a chance to at least win a game or 2 and continue their season. Imagine if New Ulm had to play Edina every year to start the playoffs. How excited would the seniors be for that game? Would Edina be interested in playing that game?

I obviously don’t like it because losing isn’t always a bad thing. 99% of teams end with a loss. I don’t like to “dumb down” winning by making it easier.

And Hudson will be a dominant force in WI hockey for years to come due to population growth and MN hockey influence. But they will still lose games. They aren’t going to win every year.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

The WIAA began sponsoring a tournament program in boys hockey in 1971. Superior won the first championship, defeating Madison West, 7-3, in the championship game.

The first State Tournament was held at the Dane County Coliseum in Madison. The tournament has been conducted in Madison every year except in 1974 and 1975 when it was held in Green Bay. The Hartmeyer facility in Madison has been the site of some of the State Tournaments, but the Coliseum has been used exclusively since 1980.

Superior leads in most State championships won with 13. Madison Memorial has won eight, and Madison East has won four titles.

Eighteen different schools have won State championships. Superior is the only program to win three consecutive State titles (1994–96). Superior and Madison Memorial are the only programs to win back-to-back titles. Superior has done it twice including its string of three championships (1981–82) and Madison Memorial has accomplished this feat twice (1976–77, 1979–80).

Superior leads in State Tournament appearances with 37. Madison Memorial is next with 30. Northland Pines is third on the list of appearances with 19, and Stevens Point has been to State 17 times. Eau Claire Memorial and Wausau West have made 15 appearances, Madison East has made 14 and Madison West has made 12.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Since the best players in Madison have been playing Club AAA Hockey rather than HS hockey the past 15-20 years, the rivalry between Superior & the Madison schools (especially Madison Memorial) is not what it used to
be. Superior will challenge Hudson next year (the 2 teams are unfortunately in the same section) & I predict Superior will win the Section next year. But I agree, due to its proximity to the TC Metro. Hudson is in a very good position for success going forward.
green4

Post by green4 »

hockey59 wrote:The WIAA began sponsoring a tournament program in boys hockey in 1971. Superior won the first championship, defeating Madison West, 7-3, in the championship game.

The first State Tournament was held at the Dane County Coliseum in Madison. The tournament has been conducted in Madison every year except in 1974 and 1975 when it was held in Green Bay. The Hartmeyer facility in Madison has been the site of some of the State Tournaments, but the Coliseum has been used exclusively since 1980.

Superior leads in most State championships won with 13. Madison Memorial has won eight, and Madison East has won four titles.

Eighteen different schools have won State championships. Superior is the only program to win three consecutive State titles (1994–96). Superior and Madison Memorial are the only programs to win back-to-back titles. Superior has done it twice including its string of three championships (1981–82) and Madison Memorial has accomplished this feat twice (1976–77, 1979–80).

Superior leads in State Tournament appearances with 37. Madison Memorial is next with 30. Northland Pines is third on the list of appearances with 19, and Stevens Point has been to State 17 times. Eau Claire Memorial and Wausau West have made 15 appearances, Madison East has made 14 and Madison West has made 12.
With Hudson winning state this year, now it would be three teams to have won back-to-back state championships since Hudson won last year as well.
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

LASERBLUE135 wrote:I like this for a few reasons.
#1 Wisconsin does not have a real hockey history in the same way Minnesota does. They don’t have a Roseau or Evelith. They just have a bunch of schools that always generally win. This system won’t change that. It will allow a second class for those who would never get a chance to play in Madison.
#2 It will bring actual playoff hockey to a huge number of schools. The schools that always played the #1 seed and got knocked out immediately will actually have a chance to at least win a game or 2 and continue their season. Imagine if New Ulm had to play Edina every year to start the playoffs. How excited would the seniors be for that game? Would Edina be interested in playing that game?

I obviously don’t like it because losing isn’t always a bad thing. 99% of teams end with a loss. I don’t like to “dumb down” winning by making it easier.

And Hudson will be a dominant force in WI hockey for years to come due to population growth and MN hockey influence. But they will still lose games. They aren’t going to win every year.
Went to the WI state tournament in 03 when my high school went: such a sad atmosphere compared to MN. They would be better off putting it in a smaller arena
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

Joe2015 wrote:
LASERBLUE135 wrote:I like this for a few reasons.

Went to the WI state tournament in 03 when my high school went: such a sad atmosphere compared to MN. They would be better off putting it in a smaller arena

I agree with that. Not even something that can be compared. Basketball is a much bigger deal in Wisconsin. I think in time that may possibly change, but it will never come close to the MN Hockey State Tourney. Wisconsin did start much later than Minnesota, and it makes sense that Superior was so dominant for so many years. You don't live across the bridge from Duluth and not have some of that rub off on you.

All of the Superior youth teams play in MN District 11 during the season, and the High School team plays in the Lake Superior Conference with the likes of Hermantown, Cloquet and others, not to mention the yearly match-up with Duluth East.

Until two years ago, the youth programs stuck with MN Hockey age classification then switched to USA Hockey last year so they could send teams to state at the youth levels. It will take a little bit of time, but I believe this will help Superior return to some of the glory of the past. Those younger rosters in Squirts, PeeWees, and Bantams have to work a lot harder against some of the MN teams that potentially have older kids on their rosters. That pays dividends in the end.

We will see if that pays off, but Hudson is in the same position, and their hockey playing population is nearly twice as large as Superior. As we all know, the numbers matter.

I think the switch to two classes could change some of the alignment, but who knows.