Great 8

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

tututangous

Great 8

Post by tututangous » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:38 am

Anyone been to these games to watch? I went to the 3 vs 6 and 2 vs. 7. Wow. #-o

Section 6 goaltending was abysmal and proves everything I've said all year about varsity vs. JV goaltending. Many of these varsity goaltenders have good stats due to the people in front of them covering their mistakes (when they play on their guts or way out of their crease). When these goalies play games where they have to depend on their own rebound control and save selection to keep the puck out of the net, their true lack of technique shines through. Thanks for proving my point, Schilling.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:18 am

So you're saying there is no difference between varsity and jv goaltending ability? Just better D, but the same quality of shooters? Sounds like your kid was a jv tender.

tututangous

Exactly

Post by tututangous » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:05 am

mulefarm wrote:So you're saying there is no difference between varsity and jv goaltending ability? Just better D, but the same quality of shooters? Sounds like your kid was a jv tender.
That's exactly what I'm saying. In fact, i think many of the JV goalies are better.

I have no kid in hockey. Got back into HS hockey this year because of my neighbor. I recently lost my wife of 37 years, and he took me to some summer tournament in Plymouth to get me out of the house. I got hooked.

Based on the way you constantly attack my opinions, I am positive your kid is Schilling.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:24 am

Sorry about your loss. But to say jv goalies are as good or better than varsity goalies after attending some games in the last year, makes me wonder about what your looking at? So Wayzata would have won the state with their jv goalie?

CornerBar

Post by CornerBar » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:24 am

Well first you need to look at who the section 6 goalies were that were seniors, arguably the best of them in Althaus is playing in the NAHL, I don't know who the other eligible goaltenders are but the section may be without its best.

tututangous

Maybe?

Post by tututangous » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:36 am

Overall, I thought the two best teams played the championship game and the deeper team with a better goalie won. That being said, i liked one of your JV goalies. He was quite technical and didn't flop around like a fish. Can't remember his number though. He could have gotten the job done. Hope he gets a chance next year.

Also, that EP varsity goalie is not good. No doubt in my mind that the JV goalies wojld have played better. His poor skills and techniques helped Wayzata win. You should send him a thank you card. Even the tournament people agreed. Usually the two goalies from the championship game are picked for the all tournament team. Nope. They passed right over him, as they should have.

Your kid appeared very confident the whole game. We both know that makes a big difference too. The ep goalie was not confident. Maybe it had something to do with the similar taunts from the Wayzata kids as with Tonka--Total hockey, felon, sieve, etc.

Off to watch more hockey in St.Paul now.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:48 am

Hate to tell you Wayzata is not my team. Just a blue collar guy from the northern suburbs. Anoka was my team! Just don't understand how you can make a blanket statement that jv goalies are as good or better than varsity goalies? I would assume the coach who see's them everyday would play the best goalie that would give the team the best chance to win.

Puckstopper81

Re: Maybe?

Post by Puckstopper81 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:35 am

tututangous wrote:Overall, I thought the two best teams played the championship game and the deeper team with a better goalie won. That being said, i liked one of your JV goalies. He was quite technical and didn't flop around like a fish. Can't remember his number though. He could have gotten the job done. Hope he gets a chance next year.

Also, that EP varsity goalie is not good. No doubt in my mind that the JV goalies wojld have played better. His poor skills and techniques helped Wayzata win. You should send him a thank you card. Even the tournament people agreed. Usually the two goalies from the championship game are picked for the all tournament team. Nope. They passed right over him, as they should have.

Your kid appeared very confident the whole game. We both know that makes a big difference too. The ep goalie was not confident. Maybe it had something to do with the similar taunts from the Wayzata kids as with Tonka--Total hockey, felon, sieve, etc.

EP coach Lee Smith and his coaching staff are to blame for their goaltending woes. Look what happened a few years ago when EP had a chance to win State. The coaching staff drove Jake Kielly (current USHL player and D I commit)out of town in favor of Gerdes (playing club hockey now) who lost it for EP due to horrendous play at the X just like Durocher this year. Brutal.

tututangous

Not true

Post by tututangous » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:40 pm

mulefarm wrote:Hate to tell you Wayzata is not my team. Just a blue collar guy from the northern suburbs. Anoka was my team! Just don't understand how you can make a blanket statement that jv goalies are as good or better than varsity goalies? I would assume the coach who see's them everyday would play the best goalie that would give the team the best chance to win.
No,the best goalie is not selected often enough. At the games today someone told me about a goalie from edina that got cut his senior year for a different goalie that was family friends with the coach. The starter is no longer playing hockey. The kid that got cut is now playing D1 and has been invited to an NHL camp.

And, now I read about Jake Keilly from EP in this thread.

Back to great 8 play...section 6 lost again today and is playing for last place tomorrow. Goalies looked soft. Section 3 and section 1 are in the championship game. Section 3, I think will win. Their goaltending is better.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:10 pm

Couldn't be slower on the game scores on the site.

Tournament appears weak this year.

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:26 am

You know the season is over when we read about this crap on a Sunday morning instead of Karls rankings. It's a really boring time on the bored when the focus of the Elite 8 string is on goalie form and JV goalies being better than varsity goalies.

This tournament has fallen so far in the past 5 years. Get it out of SSP with those clowns that run it and change the format. Go back to maroon and gold or something. Looking at the rosters most of the 'Elite' seniors don't play.

hawkeysauce89

Re: Great 8

Post by hawkeysauce89 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Section 6 goaltending was abysmal and proves everything I've said all year about varsity vs. JV goaltending. Many of these varsity goaltenders have good stats due to the people in front of them covering their mistakes (when they play on their guts or way out of their crease). When these goalies play games where they have to depend on their own rebound control and save selection to keep the puck out of the net, their true lack of technique shines through. Thanks for proving my point, Schilling.[/quote]
Last edited by hawkeysauce89 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ref22

Re: Maybe?

Post by Ref22 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Puckstopper81 wrote:
tututangous wrote:Overall, I thought the two best teams played the championship game and the deeper team with a better goalie won. That being said, i liked one of your JV goalies. He was quite technical and didn't flop around like a fish. Can't remember his number though. He could have gotten the job done. Hope he gets a chance next year.

EP coach Lee Smith and his coaching staff are to blame for their goaltending woes. Look what happened a few years ago when EP had a chance to win State. The coaching staff drove Jake Kielly (current USHL player and D I commit)out of town in favor of Gerdes (playing club hockey now) who lost it for EP due to horrendous play at the X just like Durocher this year. Brutal.
Can't blame Lee here. Don't get me wrong, he isn't any good but you and I both know goalies are effin weirdos.

BodyShots

Re: Great 8

Post by BodyShots » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:35 pm

hawkeysauce89 wrote:
tututangous wrote:Anyone been to these games to watch? I went to the 3 vs 6 and 2 vs. 7. Wow. #-o

Section 6 goaltending was abysmal and proves everything I've said all year about varsity vs. JV goaltending. Many of these varsity goaltenders have good stats due to the people in front of them covering their mistakes (when they play on their guts or way out of their crease). When these goalies play games where they have to depend on their own rebound control and save selection to keep the puck out of the net, their true lack of technique shines through. Thanks for proving my point, Schilling.
TUTU!!!!

'Tis the season, my friend. We are in midst of the most wonderful time of the year as the best teenagers the state of Minnesota has to offer battle it out at the X to crown a new state champion. Gotta love it.

My question for you is...which goalie are you going to pour every waking moment trying to deconstruct and poke holes into this year? Being that you still reign supreme on hockey evaluation, we are all DYING for your input.

You going to nitpick Cusey's outstanding regular season play?
How about Klatt? Not a fan of his style either?

Clearly your analysis on Schilling was spot on as he recently committed to Air Force Academy. He probably goes down on his belly too often though, right?

Tutu, please find your favorite goalie stick, place it upright, and kindly SIT ON IT.

You are an absolute disgrace to high school hockey fans across the state. Stick to what you control. Each one of these KIDS are giving it everything they have and you have no right to try to single any of them out.
Wow do you hold a grudge for a long time. It's been two (yes that's right 2) years since this thread received a post. Why do we care about this now?