AA QF: St. Michael-Albertville vs. #3 Duluth East

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Knights
15%
Greyhounds
85%

Total votes: 34

karl(east)

AA QF: St. Michael-Albertville vs. #3 Duluth East

Post by karl(east) »

ST. MICHAEL-ALBERTVILLE VS. #3 DULUTH EAST
-A Tourney regular faces this year’s lone AA upstart. East leads the series 5-1, including a 15-0 playoff win just five years ago; the Knights did beat East in their most recent meeting, in 2015.

St. Michael-Albertville (23-5, #19, 2-seed in 8AA)
First State appearance
Key section wins: 4-2 over #13 Brainerd, 6-5 over #9 Moorhead
-The Knights pulled the biggest upset of the AA playoffs when they took down Moorhead in the 8AA final, and ride season surge into their first ever Tournament. Sophomores Luc Laylin (9) and Adam Flammang (11) are their top offensive threats, along with senior Blake Spetz (2). They also had a productive second line, and will need a good performance from those depth players to advance in this tournament. Garrett Sandberg (12) and Cole Lehmann (4) are their top defensemen, along with Val Popowski (8). Justin Damon (1) will man the net. If they can hold up under the East assault, this team can move the puck well enough to produce some goals and have a shot at the upset.

Duluth East (23-2-3, #4, 1-seed in 7AA)
State appearances: 23 (first since 2015)
Championships: 3 (1960, 1995, 1998)
Key section wins: 9-1 over #14 Duluth Marshall, 3-2 (OT) over #8 Andover
-Like Edina, the Hounds return to State after a two-year absence. East’s top line of Ian Mageau (23), Ryder Donovan (22), and sniper Garrett Worth (5) leads their assault, but this team’s top three lines are all learned in the ways of the Mike Randolph puck control system. Ricky Lyle (15) leads the way on the second line, which was as productive as the first late in the season. Luke LaMaster (25) is the two-way star of a mobile defense and the only defenseman Mr. Hockey finalist, and is joined by his partner, Hunter Paine (20), on a strong top pair. Parker Kleive (41) came on to win the goaltending job down the stretch. When at their peak the Hounds’ game is probably second only to Edina’s, but they need to avoid the periodic lapses of mediocrity that plagued them more than the other top four this season.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

My hockey buddy Mike has been trying to get me to drive up for an STMA game last couple years, now I see why.

Great effort to get thru higher ranked teams in the Section 8 semis, and finals after long drive to Sanford.

Am looking forward to seeing Knights for first time in person ever, love the unis, and I got the feeling the Hounds might have a little surprise on their hands like they did with Andover.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

WestMetro wrote:My hockey buddy Mike has been trying to get me to drive up for an STMA game last couple years, now I see why.

Great effort to get thru higher ranked teams in the Section 8 semis, and finals after long drive to Sanford.

Am looking forward to seeing Knights for first time in person ever, love the unis, and I got the feeling the Hounds might have a little surprise on their hands like they did with Andover.
I actually expected STMA to take a bit of a step back this year after graduating a few of their best players, including their goalie who played nearly every minute. However, a few players really stepped up this year, most notably Flammang, Popowski, and Damon in net. Hopefully it will be an entertaining game and the Knights show up well in their first state tourney.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

KSTP gets the STMA reaction to going to state:
http://kstp.com/sports/st-michael-alber ... n/4809902/
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

DE 4 STMA 2 (en) Really happy for STMA (& asst coach Fish) reaching State for 1st Time..they are poised for many more appearances in the future. Lights are a bit bright 1st time at the X, but Moorhead was a damn good team & the Knights took them down in a true neutral site section final game (in Bemidji) I expect a game where DE has the edge in puck possession (riding time in wrestling) 😉 but has a difficult time pinning STMA 😲 I expect a hard fought game & KNIGHTS are capable of the upset if DE has a hard time finding the back of the net, which has happened to them this year (from time to time)
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Man, I don't know why this game worries me so much.. Maybe its all the darkhorse talk of STMA, Maybe its just the unknown, or the fact the last time they played, STMA won..

I just hope for the Hounds , and especially Randolph, they can go all the way this year.. Such heartbreak, and doubts since Jake graduated , and talks of his retirement.. This seems like the best year East has to go all the way, and I wish all the boys the best
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

Whats with all the East players wearing a dickie under their jersey?
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Duluth East 3
STMA 0
Last edited by MrBoDangles on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Free audio stream on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv-_zMbzEzc
green4

Post by green4 »

STMA looks decent so far, if they could hit the net with their shots a little more they might have one or two
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

MrBoDangles wrote:Duluth East 13
STMA 0
Sadly, that is looking like a fairly accurate prediction! These first two games are actually making me glad that I am tied up for most of the day and didn’t buy video streaming for today.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Stang5280 wrote:
STMA 0
Sadly, that is looking like a fairly accurate prediction! These first two games are actually making me glad that I am tied up for most of the day and didn’t buy video streaming for today.
Sorry to tell you, scores not close but still fun to watch these goal scorers.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

I have all the AA games set to record today, but it looks like I can save some time and not go back and watch these first two games. Can catch highlights online.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Stang5280 wrote:
STMA 0
Supposed to be 3-0 but looking like what showed up...
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I was thinking that Sammy Walker would probably get the Mr. Hockey award but if they give it to Worth instead I would understand. That kid is good also.
grindiangrad-80

Tomorrow nights game will be the game of the year. And that is saying something when a Rapids fan is pumped to watch East/Hornets. :lol:
Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

Yeah, please get STMA out of the northern sections.
Hockeywatcher123

Post by Hockeywatcher123 »

STMA has some nice players and had they been able to score on one of their earlier chances this might be a completely different game. East looks solid but I don't think they will be able to handle Edina's speed and skill tomorrow.
Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

Hockeywatcher123 wrote:STMA has some nice players and had they been able to score on one of their earlier chances this might be a completely different game. East looks solid but I don't think they will be able to handle Edina's speed and skill tomorrow.
Look for a 6-2 or 3 type game tomorrow.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Eh. Edina is overrated. They didn’t look amazing in their 7-1 win. Had a quick burst just like East.

Should be a very tight game tomorrow. I’ll give the edge to the coach, Randolph.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Ref22 wrote:
Hockeywatcher123 wrote:STMA has some nice players and had they been able to score on one of their earlier chances this might be a completely different game. East looks solid but I don't think they will be able to handle Edina's speed and skill tomorrow.
Mark my words...Edina vs Duluth East will be a close game...there is a reason DE didn’t schedule Edina during the regular season... this is a BIG Rivalry game between both the players (and coaches) While DE would prefer playing EDINA in the Final...they have been spoiling for this GAME all season. Edina, when they are ON, can beat anybody! But DE will have a game plan & will stick to it...I expect this to be a truly great game, regardless of who wins...☝️
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

hockey59 wrote:
Ref22 wrote:
Mark my words...Edina vs Duluth East will be a close game...there is a reason DE didn’t schedule Edina during the regular season... this is a BIG Rivalry game between both the players (and coaches) While DE would prefer playing EDINA in the Final...they have been spoiling for this GAME all season. Edina, when they are ON, can beat anybody! But DE will have a game plan & will stick to it...I expect this to be a truly great game, regardless of who wins...☝️
Is Mikey going to play the TRAP tomorrow?
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

BodyShots wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Ref22 wrote: Look for a 6-2 or 3 type game tomorrow.
Would you try to run & gun against this Edina team?😉
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

BodyShots wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Ref22 wrote: Look for a 6-2 or 3 type game tomorrow.
Wow, lol you really feel they need to play a trap. Not much respect given eh ... Especially if east plays the same way the did against marshall in the section semis.

Edina lost to one team this year, and east beat that team...

Anywho... Gonna be another great game showcasing a nice chunk of the Mr hockey finalists. :lol:
grindiangrad-80

I think this East team is capable of running and gunning with Edina. I'm not sure they will try it though. That is some of the intrigue in this game. Will The Hounds try and frustrate The Hornets by slowing things down or will they try and beat them at their own game. I'm anxious to find out.