Class A Championship Game

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Class A Championship Game

Post by kniven »

Orono vs. Alexandria. I’m so excited for these small hockey program kids and both playing for their first school ship for high school puck. Well done to both squads to get to this game.
kniven

Re: Class A Championship Game

Post by kniven »

kniven wrote:Orono vs. Alexandria. I’m so excited for these small hockey program kids and both playing for their first school ship for high school puck. Well done to both squads to get to this game.
Orono won Bantam A state championship in 14-15 and 15-16.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Congrats to Orono!
jdh

Post by jdh »

Penalties really hurt Alexandria. Tough to score with a player sitting in the sin bin.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Agreed, congratulations to Orono. Admittedly I was rooting for Alexandria, but the Spartans were the better team today and earned their championship in a well played game. I can also say that my alma mater lost to the eventual state champion in OT in the section final, for whatever that is worth. (It was a rough year for Breck, so that qualifies as a positive.) Alex had a magical run through the playoffs, but they looked a bit exhausted today.

As an aside, I couldn’t tell whether Parrish was more excited for the Orono win or sad that his idol Powell wasn’t in position on the winning goal :lol:
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Glad to see the Orono coaches dressed up for the game? Times are tough on that side of the Lake!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Great game!

Thought 1 or 2 of the Alex penalties were questionable, and they didnt get the calls on 1 or 2 the other way. But, oh well...

Anyway, really exciting to see the level of excellence of both teams. Especially from Alex, where my understanding is they have never even won a section qfinal. Those kids know how to play hockey!

Imagine if Grannis had been a senior on this Orono team!

Parrish tripping over himself several times to make sure viewers know hes trying to avoid conflict of interest. But occasionally the bias leaks out.

Well done boys!
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

WestMetro wrote:Great game!

Thought 1 or 2 of the Alex penalties were questionable, and they didnt get the calls on 1 or 2 the other way. But, oh well...

Anyway, really exciting to see the level of excellence of both teams. Especially from Alex, where my understanding is they have never even won a section qfinal. Those kids know how to play hockey!

Imagine if Grannis had been a senior on this Orono team!

Parrish tripping over himself several times to make sure viewers know hes trying to avoid conflict of interest. But occasionally the bias leaks out.

Well done boys!
This was Alexandria’s fourth trip to state (fifth if you count Tier II). They were actually the AA consolation champs in 1996, coming out of 8AA.
kniven

Post by kniven »

rainier2 wrote:Congrats to Orono!
Yes. Congratulations to Orono on your first state high school hockey title!!!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Thanks Stang. Could the announcers have been talking about since they were A class?
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

WestMetro wrote:Thanks Stang. Could the announcers have been talking about since they were A class?
I missed the line on TV, but Alexandria has been to two previous Class A tourneys, most recently in 2011 (and lost in the section final to Cathedral several times). Alex had never won a state quarterfinal game prior to this year, so that may have been the intended statement. One thing for sure is that 6A will be a tough section next year.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

That must have been what they meant. Thanks Stang!
blueline8

Post by blueline8 »

( I can also say that my alma mater lost to the eventual state champion in OT in the section final, for whatever that is worth. (It was a rough year for Breck, so that qualifies as a positive.)

What a laugh. You ripped on Breck all year and now you are gleaning positives? What a hypocrite.

Mustangs played great in the post season and nearly pulled off the 3, 2, 1 (seeds) consecutive upsets. You aren't really an alum are you? If so, you didn't learn much.

Congrats to Orono!
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

blueline8 wrote:( I can also say that my alma mater lost to the eventual state champion in OT in the section final, for whatever that is worth. (It was a rough year for Breck, so that qualifies as a positive.)

What a laugh. You ripped on Breck all year and now you are gleaning positives? What a hypocrite.

Mustangs played great in the post season and nearly pulled off the 3, 2, 1 (seeds) consecutive upsets. You aren't really an alum are you? If so, you didn't learn much.

Congrats to Orono!
I fail to see how it is being hypocritical to praise Breck for a nice postseason run after what was a terrible regular season by their standards. I don’t look at the program through rose-colored glasses, and tried to be fair in my assessment during the regular season. I never ripped the players or coaches, but the usual talent unfortunately wasn’t there. If you look at their results, the Mustangs really did not deserve to be ranked for much of the year, and they were treated fairly in being seeded sixth in 2A. After a tough end to the regular season, the two wins over Delano and Mound were pleasant surprises.

I am honestly happy for the players and coaches that they were able to turn things around, especially for the seniors who experienced success at the state level. I’m sure the overtime loss to Orono was crushing to them, but as it turned out the Spartans ended up being the best team in the state, and Breck can take some level of pride in pushing them to the brink in the section final.