2AA Final: Holy Family v. Minnetonka

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Fire or Skippers?

Fire
17%
Skippers
83%

Total votes: 24

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

hockey59 wrote:
O-townClown wrote:Resurfacing and headed to second overtime.
HF goalie has 44 saves so far...maybe the Gophers got a commitment from the wrong HF goalie 😉😲😊 Similar to Andover vs ER after the DE laugher (Monday) this game has been back & forth, a great game, after the Edina laugher.
Pretty sure the Gophs picked the right one. None-the-less impressive numbers tonight.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Luedrke. Better team won. Great game.
Be kind. Rewind.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Luedtke wins it in Double OVERTIME for Tonka! One of the greatest Section Finals I’ve ever seen! AWESOME GAME! 👍HF brung it. Tonka tied the score 4-4 with less than 4 seconds remaining in regulation.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

O-townClown wrote:Luedrke. Better team won. Great game.
Kind of my overall take as well. The better team won, BUT....HF should be kicking themselves today.

Chance to clear it with 10 seconds left in the game...essentially a 2 on 0 early on in the 1st OT, and the mini breakaway in the 2nd that rolled off the kids' stick.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Can Tonka win it all with that goaltending?
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

BodyShots wrote:Can Tonka win it all with that goaltending?
Glockner is probably better than Mackay. Of the top four teams, I would say STA is the only one where you'd consider goaltending a strength.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Without question. HF scored on some very opportunistic goals, I saw Glockner absolutely shine in the rubber game win over Edina. Pretty sure Edina fans were pulling for HF.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

TheNightman wrote:
Glockner is probably better than Mackay. Of the top four teams, I would say STA is the only one where you'd consider goaltending a strength.
Very true overall field has some very subpar goaltending this year which makes for anything can happen 3 day tournament.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Thanks for sharing. I thought Holy Family's goalie was incredible. Seeing the highlight reel he was even better than that.
Be kind. Rewind.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

O-townClown wrote:
Thanks for sharing. I thought Holy Family's goalie was incredible. Seeing the highlight reel he was even better than that.
Wish I could see a full video of the game but those highlights are good. Who puts up over 10 minutes of highlights? The live audio broadcast was very complimentary of the HF goaltender. Tonka was out of sorts in a way but I have to give credit to Holy Family for doing that to them. HF should have won.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

JerseyDave wrote: HF should have won.
The better team won. Would have loved to see the upset, but if these teams play 10 games the Skippers are going to win 9. Two lines isn't enough at the upper end of Minnesota HS hockey.
Be kind. Rewind.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

O-townClown wrote:
The better team won. Would have loved to see the upset, but if these teams play 10 games the Skippers are going to win 9. Two lines isn't enough at the upper end of Minnesota HS hockey.
Yeah, but when I watch those video highlights, HF just needed to clear the puck with about 10 seconds left. As a Tonka fan, there's not much hope at that point. Luedtke said he saw the season flashing before his eyes. Loheit was on the bench and put his head down and was about to cry when he heard cheers.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

O-townClown wrote:
Hard to believe this was the same goalie who gave up 8 goals on 23 shots against Cretin. The key is going upstairs on him.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

JerseyDave wrote:
O-townClown wrote:
Yeah, but when I watch those video highlights, HF just needed to clear the puck with about 10 seconds left. As a Tonka fan, there's not much hope at that point. Luedtke said he saw the season flashing before his eyes. Loheit was on the bench and put his head down and was about to cry when he heard cheers.
"Should have won" is pretty subjective especially if you're reducing it to the last 10 seconds. I didn't get to see the game, but Tonka had a huge SOG advantage and although that stat can sometimes be misleading something tells me the HF goalie stood on his head and was the biggest reason they were even in the game at that point much less holding a lead.

As for if Glockner can be good enough, he did have a .907 SV% in 17 games and was tasked with starting against their most difficult opponents that were part of a SOS that was #2 in the state overall for all games.
HockeyonFire

Re: 2AA Final: Holy Family v. Minnetonka

Post by HockeyonFire »

O-townClown wrote:
gitter wrote:Should be an interesting game.
For sure. Holy Family looked great in tearing apart Prior Lake. After the odd Cretin result I assumed this was a walk for Minnetonka. It won't be. Can't wait to see it.
It was an epic battle and I am so proud of my boys. Also have so much respect for Minnetonka. Love both Tonka's AD's. Everyone knows who Holy Family is now and for that we can raise our heads high. We left everything out there on the ice unlike so many other of Tonka's victims this season. That was the state title as Tonka will win it all.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

HockeyonFire wrote: That was the state title as Tonka will win it all.
Edina then becomes the answer to the trivia question who put the best two teams into running time in 2017-18?
Be kind. Rewind.
green4

Post by green4 »

O-townClown wrote:
HockeyonFire wrote: That was the state title as Tonka will win it all.
Edina then becomes the answer to the trivia question who put the best two teams into running time in 2017-18?
To add on to the trivia theme, Edina put every team in the lake conference this season in running time. That probably has never happened before.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Some new video angles of Tonka's "instant classic" OT sectional final victory over Holy Family, including post-game reaction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=391MbaEGncw
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

O-townClown wrote:Tonka ties it. 3 seconds left. LAGERBACK
A reminder of how close the state champion was from even making it to St. Paul! What a season for Minnetonka! What a way to earn the first state hockey title in school history.
Be kind. Rewind.
blueblood

Tonka

Post by blueblood »

HockeyOnFire with the call:

“That was the State Title as Tonka will win it all.”
Play Like a Champion Today
HockeyonFire

Re: Tonka

Post by HockeyonFire »

blueblood wrote:HockeyOnFire with the call:

Thanks blueblood..maybe everyone can recall now how the Fire held Brink scoreless and gave Tonka their best game...thus the REAL state title.
formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan »

HockeyonFire wrote:

Thanks blueblood..maybe everyone can recall now how the Fire held Brink scoreless and gave Tonka their best game...thus the REAL state title.
Your private school got out-shot 10-1, you did not give them their best game.
Get over it, and go recruit harder. And maybe consider tying up the middle of the rink when the clock hits 4 seconds, instead of sending people to the corner.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

HockeyonFire wrote:

No doubt Holy Family put the biggest scare into Tonka during the playoffs. Almost felt like a second life for a Tonka fan after winning that game, and nothing in the state tourney came close to the low that Tonka was facing in the waning seconds against HF. Such a rush that the Skippers tied that game and went on to win it in 2OT that I think it carried over into the state tourney, where things trended well for Tonka with Edina and DE battering each other in the other semifinal, and some serious puck luck going Tonka's way in the final.
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

I couldn't say it any better. Let it go HF...Let it go...You had a "very nice season" Even with a fairly easy schedule you did manage to win some nice games against some very good opponents.

But you are a private school that's only as good as your last recruiting class. Now get out there and promise the world to every 8th grader living west of France Ave

All joking aside...I tip my hat to their team this year as they took a step forward. But until they focus on 15-18 kids versus 10, they may always be "so close but no cigar."

[quote="formersection3Afan"][quote="HockeyonFire"][quote="blueblood"]HockeyOnFire with the call:

“That was the State Title as Tonka will win it all.”[/quote]

Thanks blueblood..maybe everyone can recall now how the Fire held Brink scoreless and gave Tonka their best game...thus the REAL state title.[/quote]

Your private school got out-shot 10-1, you did not give them their best game.
Get over it, and go recruit harder. And maybe consider tying up the middle of the rink when the clock hits 4 seconds, instead of sending people to the corner.[/quote]