Tourney Wrap-Up Writing

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Tourney Wrap-Up Writing

Post by karl(east) »

Better late than never, as these things straggle in:

First off, my annual post-Tourney essay: https://apatientcycle.com/2018/03/14/to ... tion-2018/

And, a Duluth East season wrap-up: https://apatientcycle.com/2018/03/13/th ... in-review/

At some point, I will produce something resembling a final set of rankings.

Also, as I announced on Twitter, I have designs of writing a look back on the 2008 Tourney, in part because the official programs no longer include those looks back to the past that they used to feature, and in part because I want to start putting some of this historical junk I've accumulated over the years to some good use. That probably won't be up till the weekend or early next week.

Hockey took a lot out of me this year, and I'll be needing a mini-vacation from it before long, so I'll try to get all of this out while the iron is still hot. Thanks for reading.
MNHockeyFan

Re: Tourney Wrap-Up Writing

Post by MNHockeyFan »

karl(east) wrote:Hockey took a lot out of me this year, and I'll be needing a mini-vacation from it before long, so I'll try to get all of this out while the iron is still hot. Thanks for reading.
Wow, that was fantastic. Your writing skills are amazing. We can only hope you continue to share your opinions and experiences here for a very long time. Much appreciated.
Sparlimb

Re: Tourney Wrap-Up Writing

Post by Sparlimb »

karl(east) wrote:Better late than never, as these things straggle in:

First off, my annual post-Tourney essay: https://apatientcycle.com/2018/03/14/to ... tion-2018/

And, a Duluth East season wrap-up: https://apatientcycle.com/2018/03/13/th ... in-review/

At some point, I will produce something resembling a final set of rankings.

Also, as I announced on Twitter, I have designs of writing a look back on the 2008 Tourney, in part because the official programs no longer include those looks back to the past that they used to feature, and in part because I want to start putting some of this historical junk I've accumulated over the years to some good use. That probably won't be up till the weekend or early next week.

Hockey took a lot out of me this year, and I'll be needing a mini-vacation from it before long, so I'll try to get all of this out while the iron is still hot. Thanks for reading.
I will say, I was going to comment during the tourney that East's run felt like Hill's in 2008. The question all that year was who was better, Edina or Roseau. It was a 2 horse race and everyone else. I think a lot of folks thought that going into this year too. East was a damn good team, but Tonka and Edina were the clear favorites. And East almost did it.

I don't buy the tourney guide anymore since they ruined it. Disappointing...
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Karl, thanks for the great essays! I really enjoy reading them. In addition, thanks for all that you do for the great high school hockey fans! Kudos to Danny as well. Nice to see you during the tourney. I look forward to more of your insights and reflections. GB
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

GoldenBear wrote:Karl, thanks for the great essays! I really enjoy reading them. In addition, thanks for all that you do for the great high school hockey fans! Kudos to Danny as well. Nice to see you during the tourney. I look forward to more of your insights and reflections. GB
DITTO...I can’t think of ANY sportswriter...who writes with better prose than Karl! And on a side note GB...hoping all is well with Hammering 🔨 Hank! Still remember a game in Dec 2015 at Plymouth vs Anoka where “the hammer” played forward and scored either the tying or winning goal from in front of the net in a close, hard fought game! 👍
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well done Karl!

Well deserved Tonka, in the end, the better team won Saturday night.

I would have hated to predict a 7 game series between either Deast, Tonka or Edina. Probably would have come down to game 7, with a pipe or two.
BP

Post by BP »

Great job Karl - always a fun and entertaining read.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

hockey59 wrote:
GoldenBear wrote:Karl, thanks for the great essays! I really enjoy reading them. In addition, thanks for all that you do for the great high school hockey fans! Kudos to Danny as well. Nice to see you during the tourney. I look forward to more of your insights and reflections. GB
DITTO...I can’t think of ANY sportswriter...who writes with better prose than Karl! And on a side note GB...hoping all is well with Hammering 🔨 Hank! Still remember a game in Dec 2015 at Plymouth vs Anoka where “the hammer” played forward and scored either the tying or winning goal from in front of the net in a close, hard fought game! 👍
Hockey59, Thanks for The Hammer reference, I miss watching him play at Wayzata--I know some do and some don't. I believe he is well liked in Waterloo and some of his old team mates Ness and Schmidt may be joining him. Will be interesting to see how Ness and Schmidt adapt to the USHL level. GB
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, and for all your comments on here over the course of the year. This place is always a source of some great takes, and I've enjoyed connecting with a number of you, whether through messages or at the rink. That reception always makes this fun.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Great write ups Karl. Duluth East hockey success is as assured as death and taxes. You might miss 2017-2018 team but rest assured 2018-2019 group will be right at the top of section 7AA. Never count out any East team with Mr. Randolph at the helm, the program will always be tops. What a coach!
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

Mr. Hockey could be represented by Duluth East next year in Ryder Donovan, should he return. I don't believe it's automatic for Jack Jensen, if he returns. Donovan had more regular season points than Jensen, even with having other talented scorers around him (Worth, Mageau, etc.). Jensen was pretty much the scoring for EP this past season.

While East might not have the firepower next season, they should still be a staple in the mid-tier of the top 20.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

ryguyMN wrote:Mr. Hockey could be represented by Duluth East next year in Ryder Donovan, should he return. I don't believe it's automatic for Jack Jensen, if he returns. Donovan had more regular season points than Jensen, even with having other talented scorers around him (Worth, Mageau, etc.). Jensen was pretty much the scoring for EP this past season.

While East might not have the firepower next season, they should still be a staple in the mid-tier of the top 20.
Donovan will have less assists next year with Worth having graduated, but more goals. Still, it will be a challenge matching his junior year points total in 18-19...And Jensen scored less points this year (than if CM had still been around.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

ryguyMN wrote:Mr. Hockey could be represented by Duluth East next year in Ryder Donovan, should he return. I don't believe it's automatic for Jack Jensen, if he returns. Donovan had more regular season points than Jensen, even with having other talented scorers around him (Worth, Mageau, etc.). Jensen was pretty much the scoring for EP this past season.

Agree with all of this. I also agree that East being rated 4 or 5 like most have them is probably a bit too high, which it seems like you touch on here.

One other random thought......next years Mr Hockey finalist list will likely have more Dmen than usual, and while it likely won’t play out that way, you could paint a scenario where 5 or so of the finalists are blue liners.