NTDP Camp Roster

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheNightman

NTDP Camp Roster

Post by TheNightman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:31 am

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/news_arti ... id=3865497

Biondi, Michaelis, Smith, Tussey, Faber, Gallatin, Kelley, and Ratzlaff are the Minnesotans on the list.

Faber is the only bantam.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:41 pm

YHH speculated on the invite list. They had these 8, plus Gleason and Miller. Always interesting to see if any Minnesotans go.

In addition to the Minnesotans there are a ton of Minnesota-near kids. Eau Claire has one and three from North Dakota border cities.
Be kind. Rewind.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Minnesota had five invitees last year (NY had nine), so it is nice to see them reclaim their rightful spot atop the list. The only Minnesotan to make the U17 roster was Drew Helleson (Farmington/Shattuck). Who are the best bets of this year’s group? Surprising to not Gleason on the list - perhaps he turned down an invite?

A few random observations...
1. UMD and Notre Dame lead the way with for commits apiece, while Minnesota has two. Notre Dame typically recruits hard from the NTDP, and the son of their Associate Head Coach (Slaggert) is on the list.
2. Quite a few late-year birthdates, who are typically at a disadvantage compared to their peers in terms of development.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Stang5280 wrote:Minnesota had five invitees last year (NY had nine), so it is nice to see them reclaim their rightful spot atop the list. The only Minnesotan to make the U17 roster was Drew Helleson (Farmington/Shattuck). Who are the best bets of this year’s group? Surprising to not Gleason on the list - perhaps he turned down an invite?

A few random observations...
1. UMD and Notre Dame lead the way with for commits apiece, while Minnesota has two. Notre Dame typically recruits hard from the NTDP, and the son of their Associate Head Coach (Slaggert) is on the list.
2. Quite a few late-year birthdates, who are typically at a disadvantage compared to their peers in terms of development.
Gleason is an '01, he's too old.

Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:00 pm

No Broz or Miller. Why?

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:06 am

Because it's a NTDP camp...not a Blake camp

All kidding aside the list is solid and one could argue a couple kids were left off just like every year

[quote="Bonin2121"]No Broz or Miller. Why?[/quote]

BobSaget

Post by BobSaget » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:37 am

Five Minnesotan's offered spots:

Blake Biondi - Hermantown
Brock Faber - Osseo-Maple Grove
Owen Gallatin - WBL
Connor Kelley - Maple Grove
Jack Smith - St. Cloud Cathedral

Tough 24 hours for the 2018 Crusaders with the Motzko news yesterday and now Jack Smith.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Man, it’s getting to the point where Maple Grove is lucky to have one high school season from their best players. Obviously it is great for the overall association to regularly be sending kids to the NTDP, but the high school team is missing out on some great talent skating for them.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:37 pm

Are we thinking they will all accept, with the exception of maybe Biondi?

HHawks4Ever

Post by HHawks4Ever » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Anyone know how much time they give the players to decide if they are accepting or not?

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:01 am

HHawks4Ever wrote:Anyone know how much time they give the players to decide if they are accepting or not?
Smith said no. https://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/hi ... 484166002/

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:07 am

Puckguy19 wrote:
HHawks4Ever wrote:Anyone know how much time they give the players to decide if they are accepting or not?
Good for him, Cathedral will be loaded next year.

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:04 pm

TheNightman wrote:
Puckguy19 wrote:
What is Motzko's kid going to do? I assume the family moves to the cities?

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:18 pm

bardown27 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:
Puckguy19 wrote:
He still has a couple of more recruiting visits scheduled !

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:36 pm

mulefarm wrote:
bardown27 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:
Puckguy19 wrote:
He still has a couple of more recruiting visits scheduled !
He currently attends a Catholic High School in St. Cloud. On the radio yesterday they speculated that the new coach would live in Woodbury because that's where he lived when he was an assistant coach at the U. Are there any good Catholic high schools for hockey players in the Maplewood/Woodbury vicinity?

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:51 pm

WarmUpTheBus wrote: Are there any good Catholic high schools for hockey players in the Maplewood/Woodbury vicinity?
Hill-Murray, St. Thomas Academy, and Cretin-Derham Hall certainly qualify.

The football coach bought a house near the basketball coach. There is a house under construction next door to the volleyball coach. I don't know that Woodbury is a lock unless Motzko has already said that is where they'll live. There is no shortage of nice communities for a family relocating to the Twin Cities.
Be kind. Rewind.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:01 pm

O-townClown wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote: Are there any good Catholic high schools for hockey players in the Maplewood/Woodbury vicinity?
Hill-Murray, St. Thomas Academy, and Cretin-Derham Hall certainly qualify.

The football coach bought a house near the basketball coach. There is a house under construction next door to the volleyball coach. I don't know that Woodbury is a lock unless Motzko has already said that is where they'll live. There is no shortage of nice communities for a family relocating to the Twin Cities.
I didn't know Hill Murray had a hockey team. Thanks for the info.

BobSaget

Post by BobSaget » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:21 pm

I have no idea where Mack Motzko will end up. I'm sure there are quite a few folks who hope he's playing for the Crusaders next year. I would be shocked if a few families haven't already offered up a spare bedroom.

On paper alone, next year looks like it will be Cathedral's best team yet. I've heard rumblings that they have even beefed up their schedule with a few more legitimate AA teams next year.

Again, I have no idea where he will end up. I'd imagine it would be tough to leave your buddies with such a good thing going. But, wherever he ends up will have a really good hockey player.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:38 pm

BobSaget wrote:I have no idea where Mack Motzko will end up. I'm sure there are quite a few folks who hope he's playing for the Crusaders next year. I would be shocked if a few families haven't already offered up a spare bedroom.

On paper alone, next year looks like it will be Cathedral's best team yet. I've heard rumblings that they have even beefed up their schedule with a few more legitimate AA teams next year.

Again, I have no idea where he will end up. I'd imagine it would be tough to leave your buddies with such a good thing going. But, wherever he ends up will have a really good hockey player.
Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him stay there. Parents aren't that far away and he's old enough to drive.

HHawks4Ever

Post by HHawks4Ever » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:36 am

Update per the YHH article from yesterday:

Blake Biondi - Hermantown = still undecided
Brock Faber - Osseo-Maple Grove = accepted
Owen Gallatin - WBL = accepted
Connor Kelley - Maple Grove = accepted
Jack Smith - St. Cloud Cathedral = declined

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:16 pm

HHawks4Ever wrote:Update per the YHH article from yesterday:

So if they accept, they don't return to high school hockey?

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 pm

TheNightman wrote:
I’m going to push back on this comment a bit. Would you have the same opinion if Smith accepted the offer? I realize this is a high school hockey message board, so we are inclined to be happy when the best players don’t leave early, in large part because it improves our experience as fans. But isn’t that a selfish perspective, and shouldn’t we support whatever decision the players and families feel is in their best interests?

The NTDP is not for everyone given the commitment and sacrifices involved. However, there is no arguing the success of the program in developing players and preparing them for college and even professional hockey. The young men in the NTDP play a ton of games against high-level opposition, and also have the privilege of representing their country in international competition. I just don’t see how you can criticize any player for choosing that route.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:
I’m going to push back on this comment a bit. Would you have the same opinion if Smith accepted the offer? I realize this is a high school hockey message board, so we are inclined to be happy when the best players don’t leave early, in large part because it improves our experience as fans. But isn’t that a selfish perspective, and shouldn’t we support whatever decision the players and families feel is in their best interests?

The NTDP is not for everyone given the commitment and sacrifices involved. However, there is no arguing the success of the program in developing players and preparing them for college and even professional hockey. The young men in the NTDP play a ton of games against high-level opposition, and also have the privilege of representing their country in international competition. I just don’t see how you can criticize any player for choosing that route.
It's his opinion. If you are offended easily, than this forum is not for you.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:02 pm

kniven wrote:

That is correct. The NTDP is based in Michigan, and the players move there to train and attend high school. The season spans from September through April, so it is very much a full-time commitment. USHL teams are the primary competition, though there are also international tournaments and the U18 team plays against several college teams.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
kniven wrote:

That is correct. The NTDP is based in Michigan, and the players move there to train and attend high school. The season spans from September through April, so it is very much a full-time commitment. USHL teams are the primary competition, though there are also international tournaments and the U18 team plays against several college teams.
Thanks Stang......