Ranking MN U16 Programs

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

InThePipes

Ranking MN U16 Programs

Post by InThePipes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 am

At the U16 level, what are the top programs (Blades, Magicians, Blizzard, MN Hockey programs, etc.)?
Last edited by InThePipes on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:12 pm

Shattuck-St. Mary's has the Minnesota bid to Nationals. Again.
Be kind. Rewind.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:52 am

O-townClown wrote:Shattuck-St. Mary's has the Minnesota bid to Nationals. Again.
Right, hard to miss that one isn't it? It also looks like the "Blue Army" is another organization that has recently popped up.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:19 pm

O-townClown wrote:Shattuck-St. Mary's has the Minnesota bid to Nationals. Again.
They are the only one eligible, correct? Should be interesting when Gentry develops a competitive U16 team in the next year or two.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:32 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote: They are the only one eligible, correct? Should be interesting when Gentry develops a competitive U16 team in the next year or two.
I don't think so. My understanding is that Minnesota has Tier I teams by district that play before the season starts to qualify a team to play against Shattuck to go to Nationals.

SSM beat the Minnesota Green Giants on Nov. 7th.

Minnesota Green Giants, according to My Hockey Rankings, are the MN HP Tier I Midget champions. Other teams are the Grey Ducks, Lakers, Polars & Moose.

By my count that gives Minnesota six Tier I teams at 16U. Never heard of Blue Army. I can't imagine they are Tier I.

As far as Gentry Academy, I thought they were working on an MSHSL Varsity team. If they wish to compete at 16U Tier I it would delay having a competitive Varsity for another two years probably.

https://www.minnesotahockey.org/page/sh ... tier-i-16u
Be kind. Rewind.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:34 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
They are the only one eligible, correct? Should be interesting when Gentry develops a competitive U16 team in the next year or two.

The MN District teams are also eligible for nationals, but the original question was which was more related to the best program/experience, not necessarily related to the opportunity to go to nationals.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:38 am

O-townClown wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote: They are the only one eligible, correct? Should be interesting when Gentry develops a competitive U16 team in the next year or two.
I don't think so. My understanding is that Minnesota has Tier I teams by district that play before the season starts to qualify a team to play against Shattuck to go to Nationals.

SSM beat the Minnesota Green Giants on Nov. 7th.

Minnesota Green Giants, according to My Hockey Rankings, are the MN HP Tier I Midget champions. Other teams are the Grey Ducks, Lakers, Polars & Moose.

By my count that gives Minnesota six Tier I teams at 16U. Never heard of Blue Army. I can't imagine they are Tier I.

As far as Gentry Academy, I thought they were working on an MSHSL Varsity team. If they wish to compete at 16U Tier I it would delay having a competitive Varsity for another two years probably.

https://www.minnesotahockey.org/page/sh ... tier-i-16u
Correct, but the original question was about MN U16 programs that play in tournaments in the fall, etc., not necessarily teams recognized/able to attempt to qualify for Tier I nationals.

inthetwine

Post by inthetwine » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:25 am

What's the deal with Gentry Academy being in a co op with Minnehaha
academy, do they have some kids playing U16 and other playing high school?

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:08 pm

InThePipes wrote:Correct, but the original question was about MN U16 programs that play in tournaments in the fall, etc., not necessarily teams recognized/able to attempt to qualify for Tier I nationals.
Original inquiry was about Tier I programs. A lot of out-of-season club hockey in Minnesota could be considered "AAA" level or equivalent play to winter Tier I.

I think this topic seems more appropriate for the Youth board. By 18U kids are all HS age, but the team Minnesota is sending to Nationals includes some Minnesota (overage) Bantams.

Tony Scott ranks summer teams, but he may stop after Bantam.
Be kind. Rewind.

CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD

Post by CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Referred to are in season MN U16 teams that are sanctioned by USA Hockey and play pre-HS Tier 1 Schedules. They play in NAFPT, NAHL Fall Classic in Blaine, USHL Fall Showcases, SSM Showcase, etc. These are in addition to the MN Hockey Tier I Teams & SSM that are eligible to make Nationals. Some of these teams are:

MN Blades U16
MN Blizzard U16
MN Magicians National U16
MN Magicians American U16
Tommy Chicago's U16(existedin 2017/18 not sure for 2018/19)
Blue Army U16 (New for 2018/19)

Just those I am aware or can think of.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:48 pm

O-townClown wrote:
I know this is a bit off topic now, but are there any credible articles or evidence saying this is actually happening?? I've heard some rumors but assumed they were just that. I won't pretend to be in the know on the rules here, but doesn't the MSHSL have a rule against schools like Gentry (a la Achiever Academy)? If people have an issue with private schools having an unfair advantage, I don't want to imagine the controversy of allowing Gentry a team...

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:39 pm

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:I know this is a bit off topic now, but are there any credible articles or evidence saying this is actually happening?? I've heard some rumors but assumed they were just that. I won't pretend to be in the know on the rules here, but doesn't the MSHSL have a rule against schools like Gentry (a la Achiever Academy)? If people have an issue with private schools having an unfair advantage, I don't want to imagine the controversy of allowing Gentry a team...
The Northern Educate deal was tripped up by residency. As I recall a team was nuked from postseason play right as they playoffs were beginning. You are correct. If Gentry wants to be a billet program that's not likely.

As I understand it, the Bantam team is a bunch of Twin City kids. They could form a team as a private school and be just fine.
Be kind. Rewind.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:48 am

O-townClown wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:I know this is a bit off topic now, but are there any credible articles or evidence saying this is actually happening?? I've heard some rumors but assumed they were just that. I won't pretend to be in the know on the rules here, but doesn't the MSHSL have a rule against schools like Gentry (a la Achiever Academy)? If people have an issue with private schools having an unfair advantage, I don't want to imagine the controversy of allowing Gentry a team...
The Northern Educate deal was tripped up by residency. As I recall a team was nuked from postseason play right as they playoffs were beginning. You are correct. If Gentry wants to be a billet program that's not likely.

As I understand it, the Bantam team is a bunch of Twin City kids. They could form a team as a private school and be just fine.
If I remember correctly, (and I might not), it was the Girls Program at Achiever and they had already made it to the Section Final before they got kaiboshed. Their argument was that it was a brand new "School" so everyone was eligible. They weren't allowed to play the section final so their opponent got an auto bid to State. Since the Gentry "School", has been in existence for awhile, I would think anyone who started 9th grade there, or followed the other transfer, "rules" would be eligible for MSHSL.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:If I remember correctly, (and I might not), it was the Girls Program at Achiever and they had already made it to the Section Final before they got kaiboshed. Their argument was that it was a brand new "School" so everyone was eligible. They weren't allowed to play the section final so their opponent got an auto bid to State. Since the Gentry "School", has been in existence for awhile, I would think anyone who started 9th grade there, or followed the other transfer, "rules" would be eligible for MSHSL.
I think you have that right.

What will be interesting is 16U AAA hockey and/or MSHSL Varsity. I can't imagine enough kids for both.

http://gentrystars.com/ - MSHSL

http://gentrygalaxy.com/ - USA Hockey

Think how many dedicated hockey playing students are at S-SM to form 5 boys teams. They have Bantam Tier I, two at 16U, and two at 18U. For Gentry to offer all these teams they cite on the two websites they'll need scores.
Be kind. Rewind.

oldtimer64

Post by oldtimer64 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:50 am

U16 Fall Teams

Top 3

Blades
Blizzard
Blue Army

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:25 pm

It looks like North Star Christian Academy/Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Alexandria will be fielding a team for the 2018-19 season. From what I read, they are looking to get into the NAHL Prep League that is starting up next year.

http://fcahockey.com/fca-hockey-prep

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:20 pm

Can Blue Army include U16 players from WI, ie. Hudson?