Worth to Arizona State

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Worth to Arizona State

Post by karl(east) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:08 pm

Garrett Worth has committed to ASU. Was only a matter of time before he wound up somewhere.

JerseyDave

Re: Worth to Arizona State

Post by JerseyDave » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:40 pm

karl(east) wrote:Garrett Worth has committed to ASU. Was only a matter of time before he wound up somewhere.
LOL, I randomly checked his Twitter feed earlier in the night and there was nothing there. Here's his announcement:
https://twitter.com/HockeyWorth/status/ ... 4269097984

Congratulations to ASU and Mr. Worth!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:55 pm

Net Presence wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Garrett Worth has committed to ASU. Was only a matter of time before he wound up somewhere.
So, was on a Delta flight yesterday from Minny to Phoenix for a vacation and Garrett and his dad were seated on the flight nearby. Saw them meet up with an ASU assistant at baggage check. Said “hi” and wished him luck on his visit. Heard he had visited UMD — not sure if it was official or unofficial— within the last couple weeks and, that other schools had shown real interest recently as well. So, was certainly surprised he was visiting an “independent”. Obviously, my previous post about him possibly going to either UMD or St. Cloud was off the mark. I wouldn’t be surprised if ASU offered him a “full” as I don’t believe the other schools he’d spoken with had. Admittedly, the level of scholarship the other schools had offered (if any) is second hand info so, may not be accurate. Regardless, sincere congrats to him. I really believe he is a special talent and now he gets another opportunity to prove it.
The St. Cloud rumors were hot for a bit there, but the situation at St. Cloud changed pretty dramatically over the past two weeks, so I guess I'm not surprised that particular avenue didn't appeal as much. And while I'm certainly not saying he couldn't have thrived at UMD, I also think Garrett is the sort of kid who might benefit from some time away from Duluth. I think it's a good fit for a number of reasons.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:35 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Net Presence wrote:
So, was on a Delta flight yesterday from Minny to Phoenix for a vacation and Garrett and his dad were seated on the flight nearby. Saw them meet up with an ASU assistant at baggage check. Said “hi” and wished him luck on his visit. Heard he had visited UMD — not sure if it was official or unofficial— within the last couple weeks and, that other schools had shown real interest recently as well. So, was certainly surprised he was visiting an “independent”. Obviously, my previous post about him possibly going to either UMD or St. Cloud was off the mark. I wouldn’t be surprised if ASU offered him a “full” as I don’t believe the other schools he’d spoken with had. Admittedly, the level of scholarship the other schools had offered (if any) is second hand info so, may not be accurate. Regardless, sincere congrats to him. I really believe he is a special talent and now he gets another opportunity to prove it.
The St. Cloud rumors were hot for a bit there, but the situation at St. Cloud changed pretty dramatically over the past two weeks, so I guess I'm not surprised that particular avenue didn't appeal as much. And while I'm certainly not saying he couldn't have thrived at UMD, I also think Garrett is the sort of kid who might benefit from some time away from Duluth. I think it's a good fit for a number of reasons.

I do too, Congrats to GW! I can think of worse things than busting your butt on the ice & in the weight room Then...relaxing pool side in 85 degree weather! Seems like this may appeal to GW (among many players in the coming years) :wink: :lol: :D

CakeScout17

Worth to ASU

Post by CakeScout17 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Joining Koumontzis at ASU. Could be 2 parts of a very entertaining line in the future...WORTHy of a road trip in the winter?

I'd say so.

grindiangrad-80

Re: Worth to ASU

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:49 pm

CakeScout17 wrote:Joining Koumontzis at ASU. Could be 2 parts of a very entertaining line in the future...WORTHy of a road trip in the winter?

I'd say so.
Agree. And I would add that when I think of hockey Arizona certainly never comes to mind.

Attracting players like these guys could change that in a hurry though.

TheNightman

Re: Worth to ASU

Post by TheNightman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:17 pm

CakeScout17 wrote:Joining Koumontzis at ASU. Could be 2 parts of a very entertaining line in the future...WORTHy of a road trip in the winter?

I'd say so.
Teddy Lagerback also.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:18 am

There is a whole lot of chatter of Arizona State dropping hockey...no conference, no D-1 arena, no support ftom the Pac 12, etc,

I hope they don't as the Southwest could be a boom for hockey. But still.......going to Alabama Birmingham West is risky.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:22 am

They approved plans back in February for a new rink. Story Here:
http://arizonasports.com/story/1408600/ ... ckey-home/

Their current space, Oceanside Ice Arena, has a capacity of less than 800. I can see why conferences would put the pressure on the program to pony up for a bigger venue before they would be admitted. My guess is ASU will be NCHC bound in the next 2-to-3 years. I am basing that solely on geography with CC, Denver, and Nebraska-Omaha being the closest teams in terms of travel.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:19 am

On a funny note, the Gophers have a couple thousand unused seats they could sell to ASU to help build their new arena. I think it's the same color maroon :lol:

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:08 am

Net Presence......

Thank you for the info. I knew their current structure was not compatible with D-1 hockey and the money to move forward was in limbo.....at best. I think one school making a go of it will entice more in the Southwest ( USC, Arizona, UCLA, UNLV, etc) growing there is better than growing in Iowa or Nebraska.

Fwiw your links are dead, likey a subscription issue.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Congrats to Garret.

Rather surprised a more hockey prominent state/program didn't pick him up. Definitely don't think Arizona State when you think of hockey. I think he'll do well wherever he ends up, unfortunate the local schools/conferences or the eastern schools didn't pick him up.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:50 pm

north_bear wrote:Congrats to Garret.

Rather surprised a more hockey prominent state/program didn't pick him up. Definitely don't think Arizona State when you think of hockey. I think he'll do well wherever he ends up, unfortunate the local schools/conferences or the eastern schools didn't pick him up.
BSU has too much scoring offense didn't need his talent :wink:

jdh

Post by jdh » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:07 pm

The word from a classmate on Garret Worth is that poor grades kept schools away from recruiting him.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:32 am

Seriously dude? First, I Hope the "Classmate" is a straight A student. Second It's probably harder to get into ASU academic wise or at least the same as 3 of the D1 hockey programs in this state and one to the North and West. No need to throw the kids name out there as a poor student from rumors of classmates. This is not to say ASU might let things slide from a GPA standpoint but don't think for one minute that many other schools don't do the same thing. Many kids don't get their act together until they get to college, this young man is taking a flyer and trying something new and different. Sounds to me like he may be starting to get his act together already and help grow the game of hockey in the process. Good for him :)

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:50 am

Obviously a very talented player , must be something that coaches are worrried about.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Every kid screws up from time to time. I'm just glad he's been given a chance. That's all anyone can ask for. What he does with it will be up to him.