BULLDOGS!

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jdh
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:10 pm

BULLDOGS!

Post by jdh » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:19 am

How about how them Bulldogs!

ILTG
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Post by ILTG » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:25 am

Guess the Big 10 is going to have to wait another year to claim that they are the best conference in the country. :D

gopherpuck516
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:59 pm

Post by gopherpuck516 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:38 am

Congrats to the Bulldogs! They played a great 200’ game tonight. Never took their foot off the gas, and played with a ton of heart. What an amazing story, making the tournament by the slimmest margin imaginable and absolutely making the most of it. It’s great as a HS hockey fan to see so many former MN HS players with the opportunity to play for, and win, the college hockey national championship!

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:00 am

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:48 am

gopherpuck516 wrote:Congrats to the Bulldogs! They played a great 200’ game tonight. Never took their foot off the gas, and played with a ton of heart. What an amazing story, making the tournament by the slimmest margin imaginable and absolutely making the most of it. It’s great as a HS hockey fan to see so many former MN HS players with the opportunity to play for, and win, the college hockey national championship!
Agree. That was fun watching them in the tournament. They sure made the most of it.

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:00 am

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:50 am

ILTG wrote:Guess the Big 10 is going to have to wait another year to claim that they are the best conference in the country. :D
You may have to wait longer than that to claim you are a relevant poster. :D

hockey59
Posts: 926
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 5:01 pm

Post by hockey59 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:51 am

gopherpuck516 wrote:Congrats to the Bulldogs! They played a great 200’ game tonight. Never took their foot off the gas, and played with a ton of heart. What an amazing story, making the tournament by the slimmest margin imaginable and absolutely making the most of it. It’s great as a HS hockey fan to see so many former MN HS players with the opportunity to play for, and win, the college hockey national championship!
His teammates carried Kobe Roth on to the ice after the final horn! Kobe was checked into the boards sacrificing his body to clear the zone midway threw the 1st period & broke his ankle. # WARRIORS # National Champions! 👍

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2197
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:01 pm

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:33 am

Congrats to the Dogs what a program. Not only make it back to the Frozen Four but win it with 1 sophomore, 5 rookie defense and a new starting goalie. Unbelievable!
Minnesota proud.

goldy313
Posts: 2976
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:56 pm

Post by goldy313 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:04 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
ILTG wrote:Guess the Big 10 is going to have to wait another year to claim that they are the best conference in the country. :D
You may have to wait longer than that to claim you are a relevant poster. :D
Again, dumber by the post. 😆

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:00 am

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 am

goldy313 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
ILTG wrote:Guess the Big 10 is going to have to wait another year to claim that they are the best conference in the country. :D
You may have to wait longer than that to claim you are a relevant poster. :D
Again, dumber by the post. 😆
:roll:

rainier2
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 pm

Post by rainier2 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Nice to see the four Bulldogs that made the all-tourney team were from Cloquet, Hermantown, GR, and Hibbing. #218

WestMetro
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Kuhlman an Iron Man. Very deserving MVP!

Shepard an underrated goalie nationally, except for us Minnesotans that watched him in HS. Just look at playoff performance stats!

Underrated Nick Swaney, who should have had a spot on last years championship game roster rather than spending a second year in Waterloo, came back after injuries early in season to have great second half. He had at least 8 sogs last night to help soften up the Domers goalie

Entire D corp was super, Samberg and Wolff in particular.

ND just couldnt get puck out of the zone. Malmquist was bottled up the whole game.

Most of all, 60 minutes of consistent 200' play, tremendous forecheck, back check, and corner work. Sticks always on the ice. Shot blocking.

Very few mistakes. At times, I wish some of the bigger Dawgs would have gotten a little more physical with #20 to settle him down a bit, but I guess better that they stayed disciplined.

Congrats! So much fun to see all these MSHSL kids win national titles.
Barry Melrose says Minnesota kids are the best, and UMD has the best program in the state. (That comment must have stung Motzko a little after the year the Huskies had!)

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2197
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:01 pm

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:41 pm

WestMetro wrote:Kuhlman an Iron Man. Very deserving MVP!

Shepard an underrated goalie nationally, except for us Minnesotans that watched him in HS. Just look at playoff performance stats!

Underrated Nick Swaney, who should have had a spot on last years championship game roster rather than spending a second year in Waterloo, came back after injuries early in season to have great second half. He had at least 8 sogs last night to help soften up the Domers goalie

Entire D corp was super, Samberg and Wolff in particular.

ND just couldnt get puck out of the zone. Malmquist was bottled up the whole game.

Most of all, 60 minutes of consistent 200' play, tremendous forecheck, back check, and corner work. Sticks always on the ice. Shot blocking.

Very few mistakes. At times, I wish some of the bigger Dawgs would have gotten a little more physical with #20 to settle him down a bit, but I guess better that they stayed disciplined.

Congrats! So much fun to see all these MSHSL kids win national titles.
Barry Melrose says Minnesota kids are the best, and UMD has the best program in the state. (That comment must have stung Motzko a little after the year the Huskies had!)
Westy,
Great comments on the players mentioned. Swaney was a force last night. Wolf and Samberg are the big bodied defense that log such big time minutes to finish out games. If you are a MN HS Hockey fan you got to love the recruit mix that the Dogs have been able to bring in to play in the port city. Kudos to the UMD staff who log all the tough mileage in search of the right mix of players. The work is a relentless schedule that paid off Saturday night.

WestMetro
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Excellent point NWOT!!

Sandelin and staff ALWAYS have a great MIX .

Seems like the two main recruit characteristics :
——60 Minute Hard Workers
——No Drama personality !

(218 Never Hurts! )

Stang5280
Posts: 446
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:13 pm

To me, Perunovich was a real revelation to watch during the tournament. I knew that he had put up some prolific stats at Hibbing, but had never actually seen him play. His USHL performance was nothing special, albeit with a terrible Cedar Rapids team, and I’m not sure even the UMD staff knew what kind of weapon they had on their hands coming into the season. He is lightning quick and has such amazing instinctual ice vision. A buddy of mine who is a UMD alumnus and attended all four games had an interesting observation: Perunovich would frequently let opposing forwards float behind him, trying to bait a long pass he could jump and confident that he could chase down any mistakes with his speed. I’m not sure how his small stature would translate to the pro level, but Perunovich is certainly a unique talent.

One of the major perks to UMD’s success over recent years is that they have been able to recruit more talented players from Minnesota and not have to rely so much on the Canadian junior ranks as they did historically. Twenty years ago, UMD would have no shot at landing players like Tufte or the Anderson brothers (and possibly Samberg, though he was local). And they look to have a nice pipeline of talent coming in over the next several years, including the Cates brothers next season. Gone are the days when the Gophers could simply waltz into the living rooms of the best Minnesota prospects and assume that they were going to be playing in Mariucci in a few years.

WestMetro
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:02 am

Peruni is great! Big two way talent, great stick handler and outlet passing vision. Reminds me somewhat of Jack Achan, only better. Watched Peruni in Elite League at New Hope several times. And Bulldog NCHC TV.


Last time I looked , he was rated low 100s by CSS for this years draft. People that Ive talked to think his stock has moved up considerably since then. I think most were surprised how well he did as freshman at UMD in NCHC ,after mediocre year at Cedar Rapids

Thought his regional games and semi FF game were better for him than his championship game was. He had that one obvious interference penalty that led to the ND goal.

JerseyDave
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:22 am

Post by JerseyDave » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:00 am

Here's an article from before the championship game about freshman D Louie Roehl, who scored the first goal in the semis:
"Roehl not following in father's footsteps: UMD defenseman’s dad persuaded him not to be a goalie"
https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports ... -be-goalie

Louie's father Dale Roehl was a Minnetonka goalie in the '80s. He was drafted by the Flyers in '87 but played football at UMD. He was in net in the epic 4OT loss to Jefferson at state in '85. He is the first Tonka player introduced at state here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_n1EM01YXE

The other Minnetonka goalie on that '85 team was Lance Madson, who went on to tend net at ND and was later named to the all-decade team there.
http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/spec ... 11aai.html

zamboniexhaustinhaler
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:50 pm

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:25 am

hockey59 wrote:
gopherpuck516 wrote:Congrats to the Bulldogs! They played a great 200’ game tonight. Never took their foot off the gas, and played with a ton of heart. What an amazing story, making the tournament by the slimmest margin imaginable and absolutely making the most of it. It’s great as a HS hockey fan to see so many former MN HS players with the opportunity to play for, and win, the college hockey national championship!
His teammates carried Kobe Roth on to the ice after the final horn! Kobe was checked into the boards sacrificing his body to clear the zone midway threw the 1st period & broke his ankle. # WARRIORS # National Champions! 👍
Ouch. Think he broke an ankle in high school too. Congrats UMD.

WarmUpTheBus
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:24 pm

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:41 pm

WestMetro wrote:Peruni is great! Big two way talent, great stick handler and outlet passing vision. Reminds me somewhat of Jack Achan, only better. Watched Peruni in Elite League at New Hope several times. And Bulldog NCHC TV.


Last time I looked , he was rated low 100s by CSS for this years draft. People that Ive talked to think his stock has moved up considerably since then. I think most were surprised how well he did as freshman at UMD in NCHC ,after mediocre year at Cedar Rapids

Thought his regional games and semi FF game were better for him than his championship game was. He had that one obvious interference penalty that led to the ND goal.
It was nice to see Perunovich get a lot of praise from the television announcing crew. Barry Melrose said on Thursday that Perunovich not getting drafted last year was a huge mistake. I'll go back a little further for a comparison. He reminds me of Mike Crowley.

Slap Shot
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:44 pm

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:44 pm

JerseyDave wrote:Here's an article from before the championship game about freshman D Louie Roehl, who scored the first goal in the semis:
"Roehl not following in father's footsteps: UMD defenseman’s dad persuaded him not to be a goalie"
https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports ... -be-goalie

Louie's father Dale Roehl was a Minnetonka goalie in the '80s. He was drafted by the Flyers in '87 but played football at UMD. He was in net in the epic 4OT loss to Jefferson at state in '85. He is the first Tonka player introduced at state here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_n1EM01YXE

The other Minnetonka goalie on that '85 team was Lance Madson, who went on to tend net at ND and was later named to the all-decade team there.
http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/spec ... 11aai.html
Every goal against BJ went through his pads that night/morning. Really didn't like that Lance didn't get the start that night either.

Stang5280
Posts: 446
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:55 pm

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Peruni is great! Big two way talent, great stick handler and outlet passing vision. Reminds me somewhat of Jack Achan, only better. Watched Peruni in Elite League at New Hope several times. And Bulldog NCHC TV.


Last time I looked , he was rated low 100s by CSS for this years draft. People that Ive talked to think his stock has moved up considerably since then. I think most were surprised how well he did as freshman at UMD in NCHC ,after mediocre year at Cedar Rapids

Thought his regional games and semi FF game were better for him than his championship game was. He had that one obvious interference penalty that led to the ND goal.
It was nice to see Perunovich get a lot of praise from the television announcing crew. Barry Melrose said on Thursday that Perunovich not getting drafted last year was a huge mistake. I'll go back a little further for a comparison. He reminds me of Mike Crowley.
I usually try to tune out the FF commentary, particularly Mulletrose since he spends about five minuets preparing for the tournament, but I did catch that portion and thought it was worthy praise from an NHL guy.

Crowley is a good comp, and I was thinking even further back to Larry Olimb. Unfortunately those guys played back in the dark ages when smaller, puck moving defensemen were not really viewed as assets in the pro game. A more recent comp might be Shayne Gostisbehere, who was dominant for Union in their run to the 2014 title. He has turned into a fantastic player for the Flyers. The NHL is more free-flowing now and it seems like there is more opportunity for a player like Perunovich.

WestMetro
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:46 am

Agree on Crowley similarities , but not sure Peruni can get ever to that level.

In today’s era, in addition to Achan, Mike Koster comes to mind with somewhat similar style

hockey59
Posts: 926
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 5:01 pm

Post by hockey59 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:51 am

WestMetro wrote:Agree on Crowley similarities , but not sure Peruni can get ever to that level.

In today’s era, in addition to Achan, Mike Koster comes to mind with somewhat similar style
I’m old enough to clearly remember when Crowley play for the Gophers & he was an awesome player👍 but I’m not so sure Scott Perunovich hasn’t already reached that level? College Hockey Rookie of the Year on a National Championship team & it’s Leading Scorer. 1st Team (West) All American. What sets him apart is his unbelievable agility & quickness. Along with terrific vision & passing ability. And he’s a solid defender. But two other Bulldog D who were very impressive, especially in the NCAA TOURNEY were Dylan Samberg & Mikey Anderson. Will be surprised if Samberg is still at UMD after next season (being a 2nd round Winnipeg draft pick)...he’s that good already & has a tremendously high ceiling. And Mikey Anderson is the Bulldogs version of Ryan Lindgren, minus the penalties. 😉 Won’t be surprised if all 3 of these D...eventually play a regular shift in the NHL!

Mite-dad
Posts: 968
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:16 pm

Post by Mite-dad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:14 pm

We were up at a Bantam Tournament in Hibbing several years ago. I was watching Hibbing play and a Hibbing fan was standing next to me. He said watch this little D man. So I did. He was small but made unreal passes and had his head up making great plays. He was amazing. It was this Perunovich kid. Later I got to watch him play with my son on the HP 15 camp team. Again, small but unreal in games. Then I got to watch him totally and literally demolish my kid's high school team. Faceoff draw back to Scotty, pass off the boards to a streaking forward behind our (pretty dang decent D men), goal. Twice! Our kids tried to hit him, forecheck him, etc. No success. The harder we tried to force him, the more he would exploit us. LOL. He was (and is) fun to watch.

WestMetro
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Dad- right on ! the first time you saw the kid, you had to look 2 or 3 times!

59- I recall Crowley went somewhere in lower 100s like where Peruni was last projected, although Peruni could/should move up a bit before all is said and done. Either way, I certainly respect your younger and better looking opinion! I trust all is well in Anoka in the off season.

mulefarm
Posts: 1669
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:01 am

Post by mulefarm » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 pm

Since Perunovoch wasn’t drafted in his first 2 yrs of being draft eligible, could he be a free agent and sign with any team? I would think he would have more leverage and would be able to pick a team that needs his skill.

Post Reply