Edina junior F Mason Nevers commits to Gophers

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

JerseyDave

Edina junior F Mason Nevers commits to Gophers

Post by JerseyDave » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:50 pm

@MasonNevers (Twitter)
"I am extremely proud and honored to announce my commitment to play college hockey at the University of Minnesota. I would like to thank all my coaches, teammates, and my family for supporting me and allowing me to get to where I am today. This has been a dream of mine since a young kid and now I'm extremely humbled to say that I can finally be a part of it. Go Gophers!"
https://twitter.com/MasonNevers/status/ ... 3997723648

Jeffy95

Re: Edina junior F Mason Nevers commits to Gophers

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:45 am

JerseyDave wrote:@MasonNevers (Twitter)
"I am extremely proud and honored to announce my commitment to play college hockey at the University of Minnesota. I would like to thank all my coaches, teammates, and my family for supporting me and allowing me to get to where I am today. This has been a dream of mine since a young kid and now I'm extremely humbled to say that I can finally be a part of it. Go Gophers!"
How is this kid related to Tom Nevers? Is he Tom's kid?

ryguyMN

Re: Edina junior F Mason Nevers commits to Gophers

Post by ryguyMN » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:22 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
JerseyDave wrote:@MasonNevers (Twitter)
How is this kid related to Tom Nevers? Is he Tom's kid?
Yes - father/son relationship.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:13 pm

4 gopher commits from next years edina varsity team.

and 1 got away to badgers and another to NMU

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Motzko continues his love of pipsqueak forwards, which seemed to be the M.O. at St. Cloud. :D Nevers is a super heady player and really seemed to improve between his sophomore and junior years. Not that Edina ever really drops off much, but it will be interesting to see how Nevers and Jungels take the reins with Walker graduating. That line was insanely good.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Has any of Lucia's recruits been let go or de-committed?

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Stang5280 wrote:Motzko continues his love of pipsqueak forwards, which seemed to be the M.O. at St. Cloud. :D Nevers is a super heady player and really seemed to improve between his sophomore and junior years. Not that Edina ever really drops off much, but it will be interesting to see how Nevers and Jungels take the reins with Walker graduating. That line was insanely good.
Sounds crazy, but depending on who leaves (if any), this coming season is the one Edina has been “building” towards for a while. Next year’s juniors and seniors are the crew that went like a hundred-some games undefeated in peewees. Granted, that included some who have already left like Silianoff and Jensen, and you never know about Edina’s goalie situation, but I’d expect them to reload and then some without Walker.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:38 pm

http://www.gopherhockeyhistory.com/players/recruits.asp

There are a couple gopher recruits that might be / should be worried a little,
but I think new coach might wait a year before making any moves

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Edina will be deep and talented again , but no super high end elite forwards like Walker or Kuomo I don’t think . Brinkman best Dman in state, if he stays in HS which I hope he does cause I think he could jump right to Gophers the following year anyway . Motzko did that with Will Borgen

Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:22 pm

When's the last time the Gophers did anything with all this Edina talent? Maybe Motzko will change things but I'm glad Sandelin and the Bulldogs don't go after these "prized" Edina kids.
East High Rah Rah Rah....

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Houndhockey wrote:When's the last time the Gophers did anything with all this Edina talent? Maybe Motzko will change things but I'm glad Sandelin and the Bulldogs don't go after these "prized" Edina kids.
The "Edina phenomenon" is a very recent development. I'm looking at the Gopher roster from 2015-16 and there were no Edina kids on the team. Maybe the more recent emphasis will lead to improvement going forward.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:50 pm

Edina is no doubt a top youth program year after year. The numbers of kids they produce is mind boggling. Most of these kids also have access to a blank checkbook when it comes to "training" and playing the sport year around. For that reason I think they get a huge jump start on some of the other kids who grow up playing elsewhere. But does that guarantee success at the college level and after?

What I'd like to know (if anyone has access to this) is how many kids from Edina played more than 5 years in the NHL. Recently kids like Anders Lee has had consistent success in the NHL. But before that, how does Edina compare against some of the lessor "hockey towns" when it comes to kids playing in the NHL and staying in the NHL for say 5 years or more?

This is not a knock on Edina at all. They will be the standard for Minnesota youth hockey until the day I'm put in the ground. But it would be fun just to see some numbers if anyone has the time and energy to research this.

Example

Edina has xx number of kids who played 5 years or more in the NHL

Duluth has xx number of kids who played 5 years or more in the NHL

Bloomington has xx number of kids who played 5 years or more in the NHL

etc etc

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:25 pm

yesiplayedhockey wrote:Edina is no doubt a top youth program year after year. The numbers of kids they produce is mind boggling. Most of these kids also have access to a blank checkbook when it comes to "training" and playing the sport year around. For that reason I think they get a huge jump start on some of the other kids who grow up playing elsewhere. But does that guarantee success at the college level and after?

What I'd like to know (if anyone has access to this) is how many kids from Edina played more than 5 years in the NHL. Recently kids like Anders Lee has had consistent success in the NHL. But before that, how does Edina compare against some of the lessor "hockey towns" when it comes to kids playing in the NHL and staying in the NHL for say 5 years or more?

This is not a knock on Edina at all. They will be the standard for Minnesota youth hockey until the day I'm put in the ground. But it would be fun just to see some numbers if anyone has the time and energy to research this.

Example

etc etc
It would be an interesting project. Would you count kids that didn't play high school hockey in their hometown? For example, Zach Parise played youth hockey in Bloomington, but went to Shattuck-St. Mary's for his prep hockey career. Or any kid that played high school hockey at a private school outside of their hometown?
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:55 pm

Houndhockey wrote:When's the last time the Gophers did anything with all this Edina talent? Maybe Motzko will change things but I'm glad Sandelin and the Bulldogs don't go after these "prized" Edina kids.
You hound fans sure have a short memory, probably how you stay so optimistic in state championship games.
Budish was Captain in 2013 and considering he tore both his ACL's I would say he had a solid career with the Gophers.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:19 am

Whatever's easiest I do it that way. If Zach played his entire youth hockey career with Bloomington then I'd say that's good for me. It's just a silly report and if anyone smarter than me can do one it would be fun to see.

We could also debate whether we should start at 5 years in the NHL or go only 3 or go 7. I picked 5 for simplicity. No method to the madness at all

[quote="ryguyMN"][quote="yesiplayedhockey"]Edina is no doubt a top youth program year after year. The numbers of kids they produce is mind boggling. Most of these kids also have access to a blank checkbook when it comes to "training" and playing the sport year around. For that reason I think they get a huge jump start on some of the other kids who grow up playing elsewhere. But does that guarantee success at the college level and after?

Example

etc etc[/quote]

It would be an interesting project. Would you count kids that didn't play high school hockey in their hometown? For example, Zach Parise played youth hockey in Bloomington, but went to Shattuck-St. Mary's for his prep hockey career. Or any kid that played high school hockey at a private school outside of their hometown?[/quote]

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 am

Wasn't Ranheim from Edina?

green4

Post by green4 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:05 am

BodyShots wrote:Wasn't Ranheim from Edina?

Yeah Ranheim was from Edina

The list for edina is here

Paul Ranheim with over a 1,000 NHL games

Anders Lee has played 343 games at this point

Bill Nyrop won 3 Stanley cups with the Canadians

*edit* Dave Maley as pointed out O-town clown with 466 NHL games

Craig Norwich played 5 seasons if you count the WHA, he played 3 in the NHL and 2 in the WHA. Actually did pretty well too, surprised his career was that short when he had 87 points in 145 WHA games and 75 points in 104 NHL games as a defenseman.

Those are the only four I could find from Edina high school that played a considerable amount of time. A handful played like 20 games like Hankinson and Joe Finley but nothing major.
Also you got guys like Jamie Mcbain who are from Edina but never played for Edina so I did not count them.

Some extra notes:
Brian Burke graduated from Edina high school and though he never had a great playing career he has been very successful in upper management of hockey being the GM and president of a few teams in the NHL and also the GM for the 2010 US men's hockey team

If you care about girls hockey Jenny Potter might be the best US born women's hockey player of all time. She has the most olympic points of any women for the U.S If I am not mistaken.
Last edited by green4 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 am

Dave Maley from Edina High played a long time in the NHL. 466 regular season games and 46 playoffs, for a total of 512.
Be kind. Rewind.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks Green4 ...Good stuff....so Edina, with no doubt one of the best youth hockey programs in the state, produced 3-4 kids that played in the NHL longer than 5 years. Amazing stat

Edina is a leader at producing great college players and successful alumni "after hockey." It just goes to show how hard it is to play any length of time in the NHL even if you are a freak in High School and/or college. It should be a wake up call for all of us to remember as we toss all this time and money around at the sport.

It will be fun to see what the other towns like Moorhead, Minnetonka Duluth, Roseau and some others come back with. Thanks again Green4

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:51 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:Edina is a leader at producing great college players and successful alumni "after hockey." It just goes to show how hard it is to play any length of time in the NHL even if you are a freak in High School and/or college. It should be a wake up call for all of us to remember as we toss all this time and money around at the sport.
What you'll find is that Minnesota has had very few forwards that become big scorers in the NHL. The ones that do generally come from "lesser" programs where they grew up shouldering the scoring load. Jamie Langenbrunner, Brock Nelson, Trent Klatt (one 20 goal season, does that count) are guys that didn't grow up on three-lines-deep travel teams with multiple Division I players. A scorer's mindset seems to come from being a huge fish in a average sized pond.
Be kind. Rewind.

Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:29 pm

green4 wrote:
You hound fans sure have a short memory, probably how you stay so optimistic in state championship games.
Budish was Captain in 2013 and considering he tore both his ACL's I would say he had a solid career with the Gophers.
You've missed the NCAA's 2 of the last 3 years. The last two times you've made it you've been bounced in the first round (one of those times to the Bulldogs I might add). All these 1st place finishes in the B10 and even back to the WCHA but nothing to show with the exception of 2013 where you got hammered by Union in the final, and the year previous to that you were bounced in the first round of the tourney as well. It just amazes me that they get the so called "creme of the crop" from MN and do nothing with it. Not sure if it was a Lucia thing or the players don't buy in to the system. Just seems to me that UMD took system players, coached them up, got them to buy in and now it's paying off big time
East High Rah Rah Rah....

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:33 pm

OTC- Anders Lee has been big NHL scorer in last few years and he came from very big deep Minnesota programs ?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Hound Hockey said:

“Just seems to me that UMD took system players, coached them up, got them to buy in and now it's paying off big time”

WELL SAID !!

green4

Post by green4 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Houndhockey wrote:
green4 wrote:
You've missed the NCAA's 2 of the last 3 years. The last two times you've made it you've been bounced in the first round (one of those times to the Bulldogs I might add). All these 1st place finishes in the B10 and even back to the WCHA but nothing to show with the exception of 2013 where you got hammered by Union in the final, and the year previous to that you were bounced in the first round of the tourney as well. It just amazes me that they get the so called "creme of the crop" from MN and do nothing with it. Not sure if it was a Lucia thing or the players don't buy in to the system. Just seems to me that UMD took system players, coached them up, got them to buy in and now it's paying off big time
I never even said I was a gopher fan... I am an Edina fan, you took a shot at Edina kids so I defended it by answering your question. You asked a simple question which would have took 30 seconds to figure out on your own and so I helped you out. No need to make anything more out of it.
I was happy to watch the Bulldogs win the title this year even as it was over a few Edina kids.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 pm

Take a few Edina kids. You have to, they have talent. I don't think it's a good idea to take 10 of them though. Be sure to take the right ones if you do take a few. I also think you can take your time recruiting them, because believe it or not they want to play at the U so badly because their Dad or uncle or grandpa or whoever played there before them. You might loose a few of the 10 to Notre Dame because that is also a look at me I made it school, but IMO the hornets will wait for the U to call. I'm not knocking them at all, like I said they are good but if you do recruit the name just make sure they aren't getting the full ride unless they truly deserve it. Like coach K says "my 3 walk-ons pay for the 6 full ride guys". Make it a mix, They have to pluck some kids from the Range and a couple from the South and maybe a french Canadian goalie Eh :D