Early Departures 2018-19

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

dueling21

Early Departures 2018-19

Post by dueling21 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Is it time to get this one fired up for the offseason? I'm copying from The Exiled One here, but TEO is welcome to take it over...

Previous Lists
2008-2009
2009-2010
2010-2011
2011-2012
2012-2013
2013-2014
2014-2015
2015-2016
2016-2017
2017-2018

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Mitch Kohner (Lakeville North) supposedly signed with Prince George of the WHL.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 pm

TheNightman wrote:Mitch Kohner (Lakeville North) supposedly signed with Prince George of the WHL.

Must have a huge upside because I only see 12 pts in 2 years at North? The only reason I have heard of the kid is because of the WhyHH satirical twitter handle (which I find amusing).

formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:56 pm

thefatcat wrote:
TheNightman wrote:Mitch Kohner (Lakeville North) supposedly signed with Prince George of the WHL.

Must have a huge upside because I only see 12 pts in 2 years at North? The only reason I have heard of the kid is because of the WhyHH satirical twitter handle (which I find amusing).
Maybe the attractive mom factor?

The Exiled One

Re: Early Departures 2018-19

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 am

dueling21 wrote:Is it time to get this one fired up for the offseason? I'm copying from The Exiled One here, but TEO is welcome to take it over...
Good job posting the previous lists. The hard part is maintaining and formatting the list.

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player                HS Team              New Team           College
So    F   Jakob Stender         Alexandria           Northstar Academy
Jr    F   Mitch Kohner          Lakeville North      Prince George-WHL
Jr    F   Talon Sigurdson       Sartell              Northstar Academy
Jr    F   Truett Olson          Alexandria           Northstar Academy
Jr    F   Bobby Brink           Minnetonka           Sioux City-USHL    Denver
Sr    F   Tim Piechowski        Eden Prairie         Bismarck-NAHL
Sr    F   Aaron Huglen          Roseau               Fargo-USHL         Minnesota
Sr    F   Ben Helgeson          Hill-Murray          Vernon-BCHL        Wisconsin
Sr    F   Brady Meyer           North Branch         Des Moines-USHL    Minnesota-Duluth
Sr    F   Jack Perbix           Elk River            Green Bay-USHL     Minnesota
Sr    F   Joey Dosan            Bloomington Kennedy  Northstar Academy
Sr    F   Jack Jensen           Eden Prairie         Magicians-NAHL     Minnesota
So    D   Owen Gallatin         White Bear Lake      NTDP               Minnesota-Duluth
Jr    D   Connor Kelley         Maple Grove          NTDP               Minnesota-Duluth
Jr    D   Nolan Krenzen         Duluth Marshall      Sioux City-USHL
Jr    D   Luke Anderson         St. Cloud Cathedral  Northstar Academy
Jr    D   Luke Busby            Eden Prairie         Colorado T'birds
Sr    D   Ethan Frisch          Moorhead             Green Bay-USHL     North Dakota
Sr    D   Joey Foss             Elk River            Odessa-NAHL
Sr    D   Logan Johnson         Pine City            Northstar Academy
Sr    D   Kayle Bocken          Monticello           Northstar Academy
Sr    D   Will Francis          Centennial           Cedar Rapids
Jr    G   Ethan Haider          Maple Grove          Magicians-NAHL     Clarkson
Jr    G   Brandon Benson        Blaine               Sioux Falls AAA
Jr    G   Collin Soderholm      Monticello           Northstar Academy
Last edited by The Exiled One on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:23 am, edited 21 times in total.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:10 am

Gallatin, Faber, and Kelley all accepted their NTDP invites as well I believe.

It sounds like Biondi was going to turn them down but I haven't seen an official list yet.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:05 am

Over the years I’ve seen some real head scratchers, if the Lakeville kid really did bail for the W this one is as nuts as it gets. We’ve seen some really talented kids head their and struggle, how does a kid with 12 points in 50 games choose or be convinced to tackle a level of hockey that much more difficult than the one he is currently at best an average player in. Time will tell and every situation is different but my goodness this one is hard to wrap your head around.

GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:58 pm

Has this been verified? I have serious doubts about its accuracy. The big question is, why would the dub want a player who has not proven anything to date? Also, teams in the dub generally aren't shy about publicizing signings of US players. Definitely agree a change of scenery would be good for all involved, but find it hard to believe the dub is interested at this point.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:08 pm

formersection3Afan wrote:
thefatcat wrote:

Well, use all the tools in the box.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:01 am

thefatcat wrote:
I need to see her LOL
Be kind. Rewind.

ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:21 am

O-townClown wrote:
thefatcat wrote:
I need to see her LOL

Hahaha. OF COURSE, it must be the tatas. You guys are ridiculous. Maybe the coach doesnt like the kid. Maybe the parents think the coach is an a$$hat. Maybe the kid wants to play hockey somewhere he is appreciated. Maybe, just maybe, its none of your business. So happy my kids are done with this sport. I tolerated it, with much distress, hanging out with all the folks KNOWING their kids were going big time (and honestly I was one of them at one time - thankfully I came to my senses). But every move we made benefitted him in nonhockey ways (a coach who believed in him, gave him confidence again, and is part of the reason he is the success he is today - proudly serving your country for your freedom).And I never had to show clevage. Get a life and maybe start worrying about your own kids personal development than someone elses kid. Championships fade. An outstanding citizen prepared well for this world (a parents real job, right?), will not

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:29 pm

ilovemesomehockey wrote:
O-townClown wrote:
thefatcat wrote:
I need to see her LOL

Hahaha. OF COURSE, it must be the tatas. You guys are ridiculous. Maybe the coach doesnt like the kid. Maybe the parents think the coach is an a$$hat. Maybe the kid wants to play hockey somewhere he is appreciated. Maybe, just maybe, its none of your business. So happy my kids are done with this sport. I tolerated it, with much distress, hanging out with all the folks KNOWING their kids were going big time (and honestly I was one of them at one time - thankfully I came to my senses). But every move we made benefitted him in nonhockey ways (a coach who believed in him, gave him confidence again, and is part of the reason he is the success he is today - proudly serving your country for your freedom).And I never had to show clevage. Get a life and maybe start worrying about your own kids personal development than someone elses kid. Championships fade. An outstanding citizen prepared well for this world (a parents real job, right?), will not
Maybe the kid doesn't get along with the parents and wants to get as far away as possible. It happens.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:20 am

I am trying to think of world, national, business, leaders the WHL has produced..... my hunch is the Lakeville school district is better.....I hope Mr Korner is getting good advice.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:45 am

goldy313 wrote:I am trying to think of world, national, business, leaders the WHL has produced..... my hunch is the Lakeville school district is better.....I hope Mr Korner is getting good advice.
Not saying if good move or not, but if you look around the NHL, I would bet many of the management, coaches and team employees have ties to the WHL.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:49 am

In no way am I questioning the legitimacy of the WHL, it’s a great training ground for young hockey players and a quick check of NHL rosters surely proves it. But make no mistake it’s the Canadian model for development and it comes with its own set of pitfalls. It exists almost solely to develop players for the NHL and while it’s great for the very top players the vast majority will need to take advantage of the educational benefit it provides. I guess I just don’t understand giving up the opportunity to play college hockey in the US when you’re just 16 years old. Major junior is perfect for the high end kids, just hard for me to see it as a fit in this situation. How many local kids have even made the AHL after leaving for the dub? Playing for maybe 5-6 hundred a week in the E and no college education seems like a bad end game.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:20 am

mulefarm wrote:
goldy313 wrote:I am trying to think of world, national, business, leaders the WHL has produced..... my hunch is the Lakeville school district is better.....I hope Mr Korner is getting good advice.
Not saying if good move or not, but if you look around the NHL, I would bet many of the management, coaches and team employees have ties to the WHL.
Yea, but it is like buying a power ball ticket......only people who have bought them have won jackpots. Most don't, I am not putting my 401 K money into the lottery. Maybe the kid is a late bloomer, who knows. Again, I hope he is getting good advice. The educational benefits of the WHL are over stated, good but not in comparison to NCAA.

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Nobody, except the kid and his parents, knows what his plans for the future are. Perhaps he wants to give hockey more attention the next few years and sees the WHL as his best opportunity to make it to higher levels. If it doesn’t work out maybe he wants to be an electrician or plumber or another respectable profession that doesn’t require a 4 year degree. Maybe his parents have enough money to pay for college if his hockey career doesn’t pan out. Him leaving his HS program, if that’s what ends up happening, will open up a spot for another kid who might’ve had to play JV this year. In my mind that’s a positive all around. As a HS hockey fan, my hope is the kids who want to play and put in the effort to do so, will get the opportunities to play for their school. For the higher end kids who have options, be it USHL, WHL, NAHL, NTDP, etc and choose to move on, good luck to those kids. The MN model obviously worked well for them and we should wish them nothing but the best.

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:38 pm

Nobody, except the kid and his parents, knows what his plans for the future are. Perhaps he wants to give hockey more attention the next few years and sees the WHL as his best opportunity to make it to higher levels. If it doesn’t work out maybe he wants to be an electrician or plumber or another respectable profession that doesn’t require a 4 year degree. Maybe his parents have enough money to pay for college if his hockey career doesn’t pan out. Him leaving his HS program, if that’s what ends up happening, will open up a spot for another kid who might’ve had to play JV this year. In my mind that’s a positive all around. As a HS hockey fan, my hope is the kids who want to play and put in the effort to do so, will get the opportunities to play for their school. For the higher end kids who have options, be it USHL, WHL, NAHL, NTDP, etc and choose to move on, good luck to those kids. The MN model obviously worked well for them and we should wish them nothing but the best.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:03 am

I think, 90% of the time it's simply a result of a parent being just a little to anxious.

Sometime they are rushing their kid thru the process

Sometimes they are unhappy wherever they go

Sometimes education isn't factored in or is 3rd or 4th on the list of priorities

IN GENERAL, Minnesota kids do not and probably should not go the WHL route. There is just to many great resources right here to either keep your kid at the top or help your kid get to the top.

Also, in case you haven't seen, the game just changed this past week. Kids won't be VERBALLY committing to D-1 scholarships as 9th and 10th graders. It will be interesting to see if that helps the WHL or has no impact

But again for 90% of the Minnesotan's it should go like this (notice I said 90%)...

Association Hockey - K -9th Grade

High School Hockey 10-12th (Some exceptions where it makes good sense for a kid to play USHL his senior year or maybe even go the national development route)

USHL (or NAHL type program) - one to two years after High School

Then College hockey

Somewhere between 11th grade and that 2nd year of USHL is when the majority of kids fortunate to play college hockey will get their offer

So parents...sit back, relax...enjoy the ride...The ride last a lot longer if you're not spending most of your energy complaining about this and that or moving your kid from one place to the next.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:08 pm

All I have to say is...

• The USHL is now on par and sometimes better than the WHL in regards to competition, coaching, and resources.

• Most Americans who played major junior wish they would have played NCAA D1 instead. Note that I didn't claim they regret their decisions, nor did I imply they would have even had the opportunity to play D1.

A couple of other points:

• Most MN youth hockey players will not play varsity HS hockey

• Most MN varsity hockey players will not play juniors or NCAA college hockey

In short, my opinion is that kids should be playing for the love of the game first. They can never go wrong in that regard. They certainly can have goals and dreams beyond playing just for fun, but it's the parents' job to raise their children in a manner that prepares them to be self-reliant for the rest of their lives. For any parent, it's a balancing act between encouraging experimentation and urging caution. I'm sure all the parents in here can relate.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:21 pm

The Exiled One wrote:All I have to say is...

• The USHL is now on par and sometimes better than the WHL in regards to competition, coaching, and resources.

• Most Americans who played major junior wish they would have played NCAA D1 instead. Note that I didn't claim they regret their decisions, nor did I imply they would have even had the opportunity to play D1.

In short, my opinion is that kids should be playing for the love of the game first. They can never go wrong in that regard. They certainly can have goals and dreams beyond playing just for fun, but it's the parents' job to raise their children in a manner that prepares them to be self-reliant for the rest of their lives. For any parent, it's a balancing act between encouraging experimentation and urging caution. I'm sure all the parents in here can relate.
Great points! My son graduates this year and played one varsity game. We chased the AAA and HP a bit when he was younger, but for the most part we wanted him to just have fun playing hockey. Even as a senior playing JV (luckily no cuts this year), he had loads of fun, as did we.

We know a few families who put a lot more money and time into making their kids the best they could be. Can't say it made much of a difference. Some kids have the genetics to excel, and some don't. The biggest difference I think a parent can make is to help their kids develop a passion for the game. If they are passionate, they will excel more than a comparable athlete who is playing for the parents. There is a HUGE difference between a player who shoots 10,000 pucks in the offseason because they want to and one who does it because they have to. We have few regrets putting our kid in hockey. We met tons of great people and had some great times. The few regrets we do have mostly center around us, as parents, taking it too seriously and taking the fun out of the game for our son.

Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:02 pm

The Exiled One wrote: • Most Americans who played major junior wish they would have played NCAA D1 instead. Note that I didn't claim they regret their decisions, nor did I imply they would have even had the opportunity to play D1.
This fact seems to be pulled out of thin air.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Bonin2121 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote: • Most Americans who played major junior wish they would have played NCAA D1 instead. Note that I didn't claim they regret their decisions, nor did I imply they would have even had the opportunity to play D1.
This fact seems to be pulled out of thin air.
Kind of. I don't remember if the tidbit came from a survey or from an agent who has represented both NCAA and CHL players, but I do remember it was a pretty reputable source. Unfortunately, I can no longer seem to find it. So, feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:39 pm

The Exiled One wrote:

These are two fantastic points that every parent of a youth or HS hockey player should understand. Very well said.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:58 pm

gopherpuck516 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:

These are two fantastic points that every parent of a youth or HS hockey player should understand. Very well said.
I thought The Exiled One's entire post was one of the best I've ever read on the Forum. Lots of great points that so many parents could learn from!