HighSchoolHockeyForums.com
The Largest Prep Hockey Message Board Community on the Web

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Next St Cloud State Coach ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> College Hockey Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northernlakes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Next St Cloud State Coach ?? Reply with quote

Is it possible for a UMD staffer to become the next Huskies coach?
Schotzy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Next St Cloud State Coach ?? Reply with quote

Northernlakes wrote:

I could see Brett Larson being considered. Brett has been an assistant twice with the Bulldogs. He was present for both National Championship seasons. He was an associate head coach with Ohio State, and was also the head coach/GM with the Sioux City in the USHL from 2011/12 through 2012/13.

He is a great coach, and has extensive recruiting experience. That along side his age, mid-40's, he can be around for a while if things work out. He is a Duluth native, and being "close-to-home" could be a benefit.

As a UMD fan, I would hate to see him leave again, but I believe he deserves the chance, and would be a good move for the Huskie program.
Northernlakes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Possible St Cloud Hire Reply with quote

Agree 100 %. Great recruiter, family guy.
Upfan111

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but I would think a new coach would be names fairly soon; possibly this week.

Maybe Larson was interviewed during the tournament?
hockey59

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Next St Cloud State Coach ?? Reply with quote

Schotzy wrote:
Northernlakes wrote:

I could see Brett Larson being considered. Brett has been an assistant twice with the Bulldogs. He was present for both National Championship seasons. He was an associate head coach with Ohio State, and was also the head coach/GM with the Sioux City in the USHL from 2011/12 through 2012/13.

He is a great coach, and has extensive recruiting experience. That along side his age, mid-40's, he can be around for a while if things work out. He is a Duluth native, and being "close-to-home" could be a benefit.

As a UMD fan, I would hate to see him leave again, but I believe he deserves the chance, and would be a good move for the Huskie program.
Agree 100% Schotzy on Brett Larson as a GREAT candidate for the SCSU job! He certainly has the resume (for it) 👍
WestMetro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett Larson confirmed by Youth Hockey Hub
Duluthguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News conference Today at 2 according to the St. Cloud Times.
Duluthguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duluth News Tribune now reporting it's Larson:

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/hockey/4431305-college-mens-hockey-umd-assistant-larson-be-named-st-cloud-state-head-coach
WestMetro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, what comes next? Sandelin move?
Stang5280

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestMetro wrote:

Where? Why? I’m sure Sandelin already turned down the Minnesota job, and he has things pretty good in Duluth. Perhaps his alma mater, North Dakota, might hold some interest, but Berry still has a few years of goodwill left there after winning the 2016 title. Sandelin is very much a northern MN guy, and it would be hard to see him take other prestige college jobs like BC, or even try his luck in the NHL at this point (he is 53).
Northernlakes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: UMD next asistant coach? Reply with quote

Who may Sandy look at.......I am sure he must have a list in his drawer.
hockey59

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestMetro wrote:
As we’ve touched on & joked about before...where would you rather coach (and more to the point LIVE) Duluth or Grand Forks? Ahh, as Paul Harvey would say “the answer to that question is too obvious to require elaboration” 😉☝️😃
WestMetro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay tuned?

Others?
Schotzy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestMetro wrote:
Stay tuned?

Others?

The only other two D1 spots open right now.....that I am aware of....is Alaska-Fairbanks and Alaska-Anchorage. Seems like all the initial candidates for Anchorage, aside from one, have backed out. Fairbanks is not looking that attractive to many either.

I don't necessarily see a whole lot of Head Coach movement at this time, but some assistants will certainly be on the move.

No way Sandy leaves the Bulldogs. Not right now anyway.
BodyShots

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schotzy wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
Stay tuned?

Others?

The only other two D1 spots open right now.....that I am aware of....is Alaska-Fairbanks and Alaska-Anchorage. Seems like all the initial candidates for Anchorage, aside from one, have backed out. Fairbanks is not looking that attractive to many either.

I don't necessarily see a whole lot of Head Coach movement at this time, but some assistants will certainly be on the move.

I heard he applied to be Motzko's assistant. Wink
Stang5280

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hockey59 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
As we’ve touched on & joked about before...where would you rather coach (and more to the point LIVE) Duluth or Grand Forks? Ahh, as Paul Harvey would say “the answer to that question is too obvious to require elaboration” 😉☝️😃
That sounds like a trick question... so you’re saying that Sandelin is angling to become the next coach at Arizona State? Laughing
SpOilerfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schotzy wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
Stay tuned?

Others?

Rumor has Kevin Smalley joining Larson at St Cloud,look for Cloquet job to open again
goldy313

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sats81 (Tim poehling) got Randy Schmidt’s fired at Lakeville North, does he determine the next coach at St Could St? My guess is yes.
Puckguy19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpOilerfan wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
Stay tuned?

Others?

Rumor has Kevin Smalley joining Larson at St Cloud,look for Cloquet job to open again

That would be a good move for Smalley. Sounds like Gibbons will follow Motzko to the U, but that Raboin is likely to stay in St. Cloud. Nick Oliver is another name that comes to mind.
Jeffy95

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldy313 wrote:
Sats81 (Tim poehling) got Randy Schmidt’s fired at Lakeville North, does he determine the next coach at St Could St? My guess is yes.

I'm pretty sure Sats81 was not Tim Poehling. I know Tim. He did not have that kind of time to be on here with the rest of us bozos.
goldy313

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for a fact Tim Poehling was Sats 81.

He even admitted it.
alcloseshaver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puckguy19 wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
Stay tuned?

Others?

That would be a good move for Smalley. Sounds like Gibbons will follow Motzko to the U, but that Raboin is likely to stay in St. Cloud. Nick Oliver is another name that comes to mind.
Believe you may have this reversed, Gibbons staying, Raboin moving on is the scenario with the Oliver thing in the works.
alcloseshaver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldy313 wrote:

He even admitted it.
Sats=Tim
zamboniexhaustinhaler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alcloseshaver wrote:
goldy313 wrote:

He even admitted it.
Sats=Tim

Beyond pathetic. Thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HighSchoolHockeyForums.com Forum Index -> College Hockey Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: