The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:39 am

HHawks4Ever wrote:
rainier2 wrote:Please stop with these empty statements that make it appear as though you're taking the high road in this debate. Your "stance" is that they shouldn't be forced to move up, that staying in single A is their decision, and that the rest of the state shouldn't have any say in that decision? That's not a stance, that's reality. They can't be forced to move up, staying in single A is their decision, and the rest of the state doesn't have a say in that decision. You might as well say your "stance" is that the sun will rise tomorrow!!
Exactly, if that's the reality, then maybe you should stop incessantly moaning about it on a message board?
When your Varsity team makes Class A State 10 years in a row, your AA Bantam team makes State & AA PeeWee team makes State & finishes 2nd...How in the world can you justify staying in Single A (after 2018-2019)??? Don’t you realize that your small mindedness is cheating some really talented players from a shot at playing for the BIG PRIZE? I was lucky enough to have a son play in the AA State Tourney & the accomplishment of GETTING THEIR...is what was most gratifying! To quote a line in a Tom Hanks movie “It’s suppose to be hard” (to advance to AA STATE) “The hard is what makes it GREAT!” It’s not a birth right for HT players to play for the little prize all 3 or 4 years of HS. Wake up and grow some stones...

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:32 am

karl(east) wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
Net Presence wrote:Remember, the local hockey community is actually pretty small so, many people are reluctant to actually name kids whose parents they may be friends with or, even just acquaintances with.
This, this right here. Naming names is actually detrimental. These are minors, and do not need us traipsing their names around on this particular topic. It is one thing to speak positively about a kid, but there are other ethical issues when speaking about an actual kid's name on a topic such as this.

Yes, I know this is an informal forum, but we should refrain from such activity.

We are all pretty savvy about our hockey community. To suggest the argument of kids transferring, re-locating, or open-enrolling to Hermantown is untrue unless proven by naming names, is simply disingenuous. No one is pulling the wool over anyone's eyes on this topic.
You make a good point, but when someone is accusing you of making things up, what choice do you have?

Just to clarify, the above eight that were named are all adults except for one 17 year old. My Grandpa was getting shot at by Germans when he was 17 and turned out okay, so I'm assuming he wouldn't be too traumatized by it. On the slim chance that anyone under 30 is actually reading this board.
Hey now, some of us on here don't have any grey hairs yet! For a couple more years, anyway. :?

I have mixed feelings about discussing the residency of individuals on this forum, but having been a fly on the wall for much of this discussion, I don't think anything here really crosses the line. We have been proactive in cleaning out posts that have details on kids' off-ice lives in the past. That issue has less to do with any "trauma" inflicted on the kid himself than the fact that it can be very difficult to tease out fact from fiction on an anonymous message board. We don't want to enable libel, and personally I don't want to be in the business of leaving a searchable record of kids' life choices while still in high school. (Their parents are a different story, which may be why I view this residency discussion differently from incidents in which kids get suspended or something.) I don't think anyone deserves to have that sort of record left by anonymous message board commentators, though the ease with which one can follow a digital trail of crumbs on a kid's youthful dalliances is much greater even when I was in high school 10-15 years ago. It's a lot harder to hide now, for good or ill (and it's often both).
Oops, sorry Karl, forgot we had a Diaper Dandy on the board!

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:50 pm

Why would Biondi turn down a national development invite to play single A playoff high school hockey? I’m just curious.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:07 pm

kniven wrote:Why would Biondi turn down a national development invite to play single A playoff high school hockey? I’m just curious.
Maybe because he wants to play with his friends and/or he would prefer to live at home?

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:39 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
kniven wrote:Why would Biondi turn down a national development invite to play single A playoff high school hockey? I’m just curious.
Maybe because he wants to play with his friends and/or he would prefer to live at home?
Ha, I stepped into that pile of poo regarding Jack Smith declining the NTDP to return to Cathedral, and I wasn’t even really questioning his decision. The NTDP is a huge commitment, and certainly isn’t for everyone. Both Biondi and Smith are already committed to UMD, and probably feel like they have some unfinished business at the high school level and can continue their development just fine there. FWIW, Gallatin and Kelley are also UMD commits who accepted NTDP offers, so clearly the college coaching staff is not influencing the decision process.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Hermantown is stocked from 4th grade to 9th. Damn. If they go AA, were all in trouble.......

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Could be a matter of do you trust the process of your High School development? Are you having fun with your High School teammates? Good coaches? Jealous parents? These may be some but not all reasons for a kid and their parents to decide NTDP over staying put.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:13 am

And what's up with those new uniforms?!!!!