Early Departures 2018-19

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:27 pm

I tend to agree with his entire post......except, I think it’s a stretch to consider the USHL the equal of Canadian Major junior. Just so much really high end talent in O,W and Q. I believe most hockey experts would rank the CHL the second best amateur league in North America. NCAA is at the top just due to the age difference between the two leagues. I’ve been fortunate to have had the chance to watch a three or four year window of birth years work their way through post high school hockey and am amazed at how difficult it is for even the best players to find success. It’s a real grind and as Exiled mentioned it takes a true love for the game to make it.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:49 pm

Oops! Before I get ripped the CHL is a pro league, albeit kind of an odd one, Canadian kids are allowed to regain amateur status and play college hockey in there own country. So sorry about the inaccurate statement! It’s easy to forget that kids turn pro up north when they are 16, 17 years old.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue May 01, 2018 8:07 am

keepyourheadup wrote:I tend to agree with his entire post......except, I think it’s a stretch to consider the USHL the equal of Canadian Major junior. Just so much really high end talent in O,W and Q. I believe most hockey experts would rank the CHL the second best amateur league in North America. NCAA is at the top just due to the age difference between the two leagues. I’ve been fortunate to have had the chance to watch a three or four year window of birth years work their way through post high school hockey and am amazed at how difficult it is for even the best players to find success. It’s a real grind and as Exiled mentioned it takes a true love for the game to make it.
Very hard to get a true comparison, but the USHL self proclaims that they're the junior league with the most NHL draft picks last year... per size maybe...?

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 am

yesiplayedhockey wrote:
Also, in case you haven't seen, the game just changed this past week. Kids won't be VERBALLY committing to D-1 scholarships as 9th and 10th graders. It will be interesting to see if that helps the WHL or has no impact
This bit may eventually deserve its own thread, but I think it's worth pointing out that there are still no rules on when a kid can and cannot verbally commit. The new rules simply make it a lot tougher to commit early with virtually no contact allowed between a college staff and high school player until junior year. As always, loopholes will likely be found.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Tue May 01, 2018 1:34 pm

ilovemesomehockey wrote:
O-townClown wrote:
formersection3Afan wrote:
thefatcat wrote:
TheNightman wrote:Mitch Kohner (Lakeville North) supposedly signed with Prince George of the WHL.
Maybe the attractive mom factor?
I need to see her LOL

Hahaha. OF COURSE, it must be the tatas. You guys are ridiculous. Maybe the coach doesnt like the kid. Maybe the parents think the coach is an a$$hat. Maybe the kid wants to play hockey somewhere he is appreciated. Maybe, just maybe, its none of your business. So happy my kids are done with this sport. I tolerated it, with much distress, hanging out with all the folks KNOWING their kids were going big time (and honestly I was one of them at one time - thankfully I came to my senses). But every move we made benefitted him in nonhockey ways (a coach who believed in him, gave him confidence again, and is part of the reason he is the success he is today - proudly serving your country for your freedom).And I never had to show clevage. Get a life and maybe start worrying about your own kids personal development than someone elses kid. Championships fade. An outstanding citizen prepared well for this world (a parents real job, right?), will not
Is your real name, Francis?

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:11 am

The NCAA gives a special exemption to junior hockey they do not give in any other sport. Because of this the USHL is a primary league for most US kids where as the same league would compromise your amateur status in almost all other NCAA sports.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:04 pm

goldy313 wrote:The NCAA gives a special exemption to junior hockey they do not give in any other sport. Because of this the USHL is a primary league for most US kids where as the same league would compromise your amateur status in almost all other NCAA sports.
How so? The players are not being financially compensated for playing hockey. The provision of room and board is no different than players in other sports attending a boarding school on financial aid. The primary distinction is that junior hockey players often have graduated from high school already, but that only impacts the academic courseload they can take. All NCAA athletes have five years of full-time attendance to complete four years of eligibility, so junior hockey players must avoid taking a full load of college classes to prevent this clock from starting. Again, that is true of any prospective NCAA athlete, and not just junior hockey players.

College hockey is unique in its heavy reliance on older players, but that doesn’t mean that the same eligibility standards aren’t applied.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:57 am

Read the NCAA's definition and rules concerning amateurism. It clearly states Amateurusm does not allow delayed initial full time college enrollment to participate in organized sport competition. (Even Olympic athletes need a waiver) Junior hockey violates this but is given an exemption and has for a long time now.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:50 pm

goldy313 wrote:Read the NCAA's definition and rules concerning amateurism. It clearly states Amateurusm does not allow delayed initial full time college enrollment to participate in organized sport competition. (Even Olympic athletes need a waiver) Junior hockey violates this but is given an exemption and has for a long time now.
Thanks for the explanation, and that makes sense. Aside from the kerfuffle over the Big Ten age limit proposal last year, I know that a few of the Ivy League programs were facing pressure from their academic administrations over admissions of junior hockey players, who have essentially been away from academics for two years in many cases. But I think that controversy largely blew over after Yale won the 2013 national championship with a number of former junior players on the roster.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:01 am

Please note that I do not typically add players who've graduated to the Early Departures list. Also, since this is the "high school hockey" forum, I typically don't add players who've departed straight from bantams. For these reasons, Brock Faber and Ben Brinkman do not appear on the list.

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Is it correct to assume that Ben Helgeson will not return to Hill-Murray and will play in the USHL at Waterloo?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:54 pm

X0 - Mitch Kohner was at 16s camp last week

St Paul or Pioneers- any other announced roster changes for HM? Hearing might be a big one

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Looks like YHH posted an article identifying a few other potential early departures

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:49 am

InThePipes wrote:Looks like YHH posted an article identifying a few other potential early departures
Requires a subscription to access?

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 pm

If I remember correctly it was something like this:

Brink (Tonka) staying
Koster (Chaska) staying
Frisch (Moorhead) leaving
Brodzinski (Blaine) leaving

I might be missing another staying/leaving, and then it mentioned a lot of transfers. Kittelson to Tonka, Huber to HF, Messenberg to BSM, Dexheimer to Blake, and many others.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:54 pm

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:Dexheimer to Blake
Significant news. He played in the All-Star Game at Natty Camp and joins a team loaded with young talent.

Blake will be a blast to watch next season.
Be kind. Rewind.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:31 am

O-townClown wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:Dexheimer to Blake
Blake will be a blast to watch next season.
Agreed 100%. They're probably a year away yet, but they have the talent to upset some teams and prove that notion wrong.

gitter

Post by gitter » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Is Frisch confirmed for certain?

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:49 am

gitter wrote:Is Frisch confirmed for certain?
I've heard Issac Henkemeyer Howe is leaving too (NAHL)

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:31 pm

XO

Seems to be some question about early departures for Kohner and H-Howe?

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:49 pm

WestMetro wrote:XO

Seems to be some question about early departures for Kohner and H-Howe?
Did Kohner participate in North’s summer scrimmages? I haven’t heard anything but him leaving. HH definitely a ?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:20 am

My info is he never signed with WHL, was at Nat Camp in Buffalo , not on ice for LVN Tonka scrimmage a couple weeks ago . And not on Elite roster. At this point seems like things are uncertain . Maybe Minnscout knows more.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:44 pm

WestMetro wrote:62

My info is he never signed with WHL, was at Nat Camp in Buffalo , not on ice for LVN Tonka scrimmage a couple weeks ago . And not on Elite roster. At this point seems like things are uncertain . Maybe Minnscout knows more.
Interesting. The fact he hasn’t signed with WHL team is the key point. I believe major junior players can still do Nat Camp as Hanus attended the national Select 17 camp this summer.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:50 pm

He signed whl and is gone.

formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:49 pm

Would not have made the Elite League, would not have received a tryout invite.