Janne Kivihamle to Lakeville South!!!

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hitthepost

Janne Kivihamle to Lakeville South!!!

Post by hitthepost » Tue May 01, 2018 7:14 pm

Just saw the post on Lakeville public schools that Janne has been named head coach of Lakeville South!

formersection3Afan

Re: Janne Kivihamle to Lakeville South!!!

Post by formersection3Afan » Tue May 01, 2018 10:19 pm

hitthepost wrote:Just saw the post on Lakeville public schools that Janne has been named head coach of Lakeville South!
Congrats to South

KentRoadGuy

Re: Janne Kivihamle to Lakeville South!!!

Post by KentRoadGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 12:26 pm

First our football coach, now our boys hockey coach? Keep an eye on our badminton coach. Seriously, good luck to both, fine coaches and we'll miss them.

D6Rocks

Post by D6Rocks » Wed May 02, 2018 1:29 pm

Congrats to Burnsville

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:38 pm

D6Rocks wrote:Congrats to Burnsville
Depends who they get as a replacement I suppose. Everyone I’ve spoken with who has been coached by Janne speaks highly of him. My son has attended camps he’s coached at and has really enjoyed them. He was a longtime coach at Burnsville, which in this day and age is becoming less common anywhere in HS sports. Had they not ran into some championship Edina teams they could’ve done some damage at State with the likes of Boeser, Ahcan, and Borchardt, etc. I think the Cougars are getting a fine coach and we’ll see who ends up coaching the Blaze.

thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker » Wed May 02, 2018 10:12 pm

gopherpuck516 wrote:
Depends who they get as a replacement I suppose. Everyone I’ve spoken with who has been coached by Janne speaks highly of him. My son has attended camps he’s coached at and has really enjoyed them. He was a longtime coach at Burnsville, which in this day and age is becoming less common anywhere in HS sports. Had they not ran into some championship Edina teams they could’ve done some damage at State with the likes of Boeser, Ahcan, and Borchardt, etc. I think the Cougars are getting a fine coach and we’ll see who ends up coaching the Blaze.
Agree- add Sheehy, Teemu, great goaltending, and blocked shots.
He will have a good coaching staff around him like at Bville. Shoulda named the rink after Coach O
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ

thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker » Wed May 02, 2018 10:13 pm

gopherpuck516 wrote:
Agree- add Sheehy, Teemu, great goaltending, and blocked shots.
He will have a good coaching staff around him like at Bville. Shoulda named the rink after the top Coach Oz
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed May 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Interesting move for Kivihalme. Edina was his kryptonite while at Burnsville, but his teams also put together two good surprise runs to the Tourney and they stayed competitive even in the later years of his tenure when the talent wasn't what it was around the start of the decade. On the whole I think he does a nice job, and should have an opportunity to build on a solid, growing program on the south side of Lakeville.

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Sun May 13, 2018 8:35 pm

I hope I'm wrong but this is the beginning of the end for Burnsville hockey

Declining numbers in the youth ranks, I believe squirt A and pee wee b teams coop with Apple valley

I'll always support da Braves but I think it's going to be rough in the future

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:50 am

“Beginning of the end” might be a stretch, but the beginning of a decline is certainly possible - so if that’s what you meant I totally agree with you. I can see them following the path of the Richfield, then Kennedy, and now Jefferson, as programs that were once dominant but who’s time in the sun is long gone. Similar to the STMA thread, demographics in Burnsville aren’t what you see in other older suburbs with top end hockey programs. Janne probably saw the writing on the wall and jumped at the opportunity to coach at a school with brighter future prospects. I’d expect to see him take LS to St Paul within the next few years, where I’d venture to guess we’ve seen Burnsville’s last tourney run.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Mon May 14, 2018 1:09 pm

gopherpuck516 wrote:“Beginning of the end” might be a stretch, but the beginning of a decline is certainly possible - so if that’s what you meant I totally agree with you. I can see them following the path of the Richfield, then Kennedy, and now Jefferson, as programs that were once dominant but who’s time in the sun is long gone. Similar to the STMA thread, demographics in Burnsville aren’t what you see in other older suburbs with top end hockey programs. Janne probably saw the writing on the wall and jumped at the opportunity to coach at a school with brighter future prospects. I’d expect to see him take LS to St Paul within the next few years, where I’d venture to guess we’ve seen Burnsville’s last tourney run.
It kind of runs in cycles. Richfield's expansion of new housing happened after WW2 and about 20 years later they were a powerhouse in most sports especially baseball and football. In the case of Jefferson the development of Bloomington west of Normandale Blvd. started in earnest in the early to mid 70's and about 20 years later is when they had the hockey and basketball powerhouses. Burnsville had had a couple development waves in their school district, the first in the 60's leading to the 80"s successes and again in the late 90's as the Savage portion of the school district was developed. Lakeville is still expanding new housing, the same with Prior Lake and Shakopee so we will see where that leads.