WHL Bantam Draft

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

WHL Bantam Draft

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

Traditionally a limited number of Minnesotans selected in this draft as their likelihood of going is so low, but three were picked in today’s WHL Draft (03 birthyears):

F Chaz Lucius (Gentry) committed to Minn
F Trey Fechko (Holy Family) uncommitted
D Max Burkholder (Chaska-Chan Bantams) uncommitted

Order they were drafted in, but also the order of likelihood I see any of them actually going to WHL.

Possible I missed somebody in final round or two. The much more newsworthy USHL drafts are next week.
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

Forgot to include the teams that drafted them:

Lucius - Portland
Fechko - Moose Jaw
Burkholder - Portland

Some interesting connections... Hanus from Minnetonka is also at Portland. Hanus, Fechko, and Burkholder all attended/attend Breakaway Academy and Lucius of course attends the north metro version in Gentry Academy. Probably more coincidence than anything but interesting nonetheless.

Also worth noting that Hanus, who is probably the most talked about Minnesotan currently in the WHL, was not picked in the Bantam draft but instead had his rights picked up later on. Have heard of several others who followed similar path. To me this shows the whl draft doesn’t so much tell us where kids will end up, but is another barometer of some of the higher end players in this age group.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

A good example of how difficult the dub is for a 16/17 year old....Hanus had no goals and 6 assists in 52 games.