Eden Prairie's John and Luke Mittelstadt commit to Gophers

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

JerseyDave

Eden Prairie's John and Luke Mittelstadt commit to Gophers

Post by JerseyDave » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:45 pm

John Mittelstadt (@JohnMittelstadt)
"Very excited to announce my commitment to further my education and hockey career at the University of Minnesota. Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way. #gophs"
11:25 AM - 24 Jun 2018
https://twitter.com/JohnMittelstadt/sta ... 2732817408

Luke Mittelstadt (@lmittelstadt16)
"Honored to announce my commitment to further my education and hockey career at the University of Minnesota. Thanks to everyone that has helped me along the way."
11:27 AM - 24 Jun 2018
https://twitter.com/lmittelstadt16/stat ... 8662936576

"Eden Prairie's John and Luke Mittelstadt commit to Gophers"
http://www.startribune.com/eden-prairie ... 486394041/

"The Younger Mittelstadt Brothers React to Committing to Gophers Hockey Team"
http://kstp.com/sports/john-luke-mittel ... y/4963460/

kniven

Re: Eden Prairie's John and Luke Mittelstadt commit to Gophe

Post by kniven » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:59 pm

From fans outside of the EP bubble, objectively, what are these Middlestadt boys like? Personality wise and ethics wise? Are they good kids?

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 am

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:42 am

Good family, good kids.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:35 am

kniven wrote:From fans outside of the EP bubble, objectively, what are these Middlestadt boys like? Personality wise and ethics wise? Are they good kids?
Great kids and great work ethic. Luke, though a defenseman so tough to compare, is believed to be as "talented" as Casey was at that age. He's still young so we'll see how he progresses. John is a workhorse but doesn't currently have the raw talent of his two brothers. Made the 17 national camp, but didn't exactly "wow" at the HP spring festival or final 54s. Will be interesting to see how he grows and how he does this winter. Overall a couple of solid additions that kind of remind me of the Reilly brothers.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:44 am

YHH speculates that Luke may be best Dman in the country in his age class.
Scouts at bantam trny speculate he is better overall skill than CM at that age.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:28 pm

That’s great to hear the good things about the kids and family. That’s what it’s all about, for sure 👏

JSR

Post by JSR » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:19 pm

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
kniven wrote:From fans outside of the EP bubble, objectively, what are these Middlestadt boys like? Personality wise and ethics wise? Are they good kids?
Great kids and great work ethic. Luke, though a defenseman so tough to compare, is believed to be as "talented" as Casey was at that age. He's still young so we'll see how he progresses. John is a workhorse but doesn't currently have the raw talent of his two brothers. Made the 17 national camp, but didn't exactly "wow" at the HP spring festival or final 54s. Will be interesting to see how he grows and how he does this winter. Overall a couple of solid additions that kind of remind me of the Reilly brothers.
John's commitment just proves "who you know" so to speak is more important than your talent. In otherwords if his name was not Mittlestadt and his brother wasn't who is he is, would he be getting this commitment at this point.... doubt it

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:02 pm

JSR wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
John's commitment just proves "who you know" so to speak is more important than your talent. In otherwords if his name was not Mittlestadt and his brother wasn't who is he is, would he be getting this commitment at this point.... doubt it
“Package deals” among brothers are not exactly a new recruiting tactic, and I’m not sure why you’re so salty about this one, particularly since it involves one of the top recruits in the nation. It was likely that Luke would not commit to a program without a corresponding opportunity for John, so Minnesota pretty much had to recruit both of them to land Luke. If John doesn’t develop into a legit D1 player, it’s not like the Gophers are forced to put him on the ice, and he may well wash out in the junior ranks. Besides, these are just verbal commits, and there is a lot that can happen between now and signing day.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Stang5280 wrote:“Package deals” among brothers are not exactly a new recruiting tactic, and I’m not sure why you’re so salty about this one, particularly since it involves one of the top recruits in the nation. It was likely that Luke would not commit to a program without a corresponding opportunity for John, so Minnesota pretty much had to recruit both of them to land Luke. If John doesn’t develop into a legit D1 player, it’s not like the Gophers are forced to put him on the ice, and he may well wash out in the junior ranks. Besides, these are just verbal commits, and there is a lot that can happen between now and signing day.
All very good points. Kind of reminds me of the Reilly brothers package deal.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:54 am

G$ sure turned out alright.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:48 am

Stang5280 wrote:
JSR wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
“Package deals” I’m not sure why you’re so salty about this one. day.
Jonny has a bone to pick with someone, somewhere...

WestMetro

Re: Eden Prairie's John and Luke Mittelstadt commit to Gophers

Post by WestMetro » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Jack Jensen injured back practicing with Magicians, early estimates could be out 2-3 months

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Re: Eden Prairie's John and Luke Mittelstadt commit to Gophers

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:02 pm

Wow. Big ouch for the Magicians, Eagles, and Jack. Hopefully on the shorter end and he’ll only miss minimal games in the high school season.