Dynamo Premier Prep vs MGHCA Premier Prep

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Lace'emUp

Dynamo Premier Prep vs MGHCA Premier Prep

Post by Lace'emUp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:46 am

For those of you who do not have Elite League level players, I received emails from both Jess Christopherson w/Dynamo Hockey and Tim Morris w/MGHCA regarding the fall Premier Prep HS league(s). It appears Jess has broken away from MGHCA (even though she's still prez til Oct - correct?), and moved her Premier Prep league to Dynamo/Showcase hockey.

Jess has her registration up and running, tryout dates set, league games set, and coaches selected. Her email came out last Friday. Now Tim is sending emails out yesterday (2 of them) saying THEY are the official Premier Prep league and Dynamo is "for profit". However, Tim has no tryout dates set, no league schedule, and no coaches listed. It's a bit vain to relegate Dynamo's league when MGHCA seems to have no plan in place.

As for the "profit" dig, Dynamo will be $425 +$50 tryout fee for 15 league games, 5 training sessions, jerseys, etc. All the same Jess has offered in the past. MGHCA is $325+$50 USA Hockey fee + $??$ tryout fee. 12 league games with probably playoffs and similar to Dynano. At either price, how can either be "for profit" after ice time, refs, coaches, and jerseys are paid for either league?

With the premier prep league being full the last few years (8 teams, 160 HS players), I'm hoping someone might have some inside info on how or what is going on. For now, Dynamo seems the way to go.

Dynamo Premier Prep
https://www.showcasehockey.com/page/sho ... ague-2018-

MGHCA Premier Prep
https://www.mghca.com/page/show/4246868 ... rep-league

Bardown96

Post by Bardown96 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:47 am

Thank you for the post as it exposes a couple things.

1. I am a member of the MGHCA board and this split has been news to us. We found out that the ice Jess booked was our Premier Prep ice which she now is trying to make Dynamo Ice. Calls Have been made and changes are coming. As our acting President we have some issues to address with this conflict of interest.

2. You state HER Premier Prep league is now Dynamo League. The Premier Prep is the MGHCA league and not HER league. The Premier prep will still take place and yes we have all the ice booked and the league is in place sorry you don't have correct info on this. In the Premier Prep we will have HS coaches involved yet as we have a waiver which the Dynamo does not have so these coaches are not going over to Dynamo.

3. Yes the Premier Prep is a non profit which also gives out scholarships and has the exemption for coaches. Jess started Dynamo to now make personal profit off copying the MGHCA Premier Prep League, a direct violation of her position as president of MGHCA President.

4. As the acting MGHCA president, I as a current board member knowing nothing of these actions would also have to question the ethics of Jess. As a board we will be dealing with this, but in the meantime we have a new Premier Prep Director in place and will be business as usual for this fall with continuing a great product and now with new leadership expect it to be even better then before.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Bardown96 wrote:Thank you for the post as it exposes a couple things.

1. I am a member of the MGHCA board and this split has been news to us. We found out that the ice Jess booked was our Premier Prep ice which she now is trying to make Dynamo Ice. Calls Have been made and changes are coming. As our acting President we have some issues to address with this conflict of interest.

2. You state HER Premier Prep league is now Dynamo League. The Premier Prep is the MGHCA league and not HER league. The Premier prep will still take place and yes we have all the ice booked and the league is in place sorry you don't have correct info on this. In the Premier Prep we will have HS coaches involved yet as we have a waiver which the Dynamo does not have so these coaches are not going over to Dynamo.

3. Yes the Premier Prep is a non profit which also gives out scholarships and has the exemption for coaches. Jess started Dynamo to now make personal profit off copying the MGHCA Premier Prep League, a direct violation of her position as president of MGHCA President.

4. As the acting MGHCA president, I as a current board member knowing nothing of these actions would also have to question the ethics of Jess. As a board we will be dealing with this, but in the meantime we have a new Premier Prep Director in place and will be business as usual for this fall with continuing a great product and now with new leadership expect it to be even better then before.
Thank you for your insight. For the sake of the players (and coaches), hopefully all parties involved can take a deep breath and sit down at the table to resolve their issues. Whatever the case might be, this confusion needs to be cleared up quickly. IMO, parents and players are looking for the same fall league we have had in past years. It has been run very well and truthfully does not need improvement, nor does anything taken away from it. In other words (to everyone involved), please don't break something that does not need to be fixed. It works well for kids who have fall sports and it gives all the non-elite varsity players quality games and competition to get ready for the season. If we have multiple and possible water down versions of the same league, it will result in people finding new training opportunities next fall. That's what is called a lose-lose situation and a good thing will be gone for no good reason at all.

Bardown96

Post by Bardown96 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Yes I fully agree and Thank you that is why the Premier Prep League is not changing and will operate the same with a couple of changes that will make it even a better experience. Also FYI the ice you posted for Dynamo league is not correct as they do not have ice. Jess tried to switch the premier prep ice we booked over to Dynamo but it has been changed back to Premier Prep ice. This can be confirmed with the Super Rink. The MGHCA is happy to continue the success of the Premier Prep league and continue to grow women's hockey in Minnesota.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:50 pm

What is the tryout process for the Elite League?

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:34 am

What is the tryout process for the Elite League?

Well that is the million dollar question this year.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:47 am

goaliedad31 wrote:What is the tryout process for the Elite League?

http://www.hselitehockey.com/girls-elite-league-news

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:55 am

Is there ambiguity?

My understanding is U16 teams are filled first by skaters who qualified for a USA Hockey Development camp (names released yesterday).

Has that changed?

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:42 am

jg2112 wrote:

Is there ambiguity?

My understanding is U16 teams are filled first by skaters who qualified for a USA Hockey Development camp (names released yesterday).

Has that changed?
You are correct both u-19 and u-16 are filled that way and then there is a tryout price is 50 dollars.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:24 am

Mnnstar wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

Is there ambiguity?

Has that changed?
You are correct both u-19 and u-16 are filled that way and then there is a tryout price is 50 dollars.
If there are 160 spots on 8 MN teams, 20 girls from 2001 and 29 girls from 2002 national camps, leaves 111 spots open for one tryout that happened 3 days ago?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:03 am

InigoMontoya wrote:
Mnnstar wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

Is there ambiguity?

Has that changed?
If there are 160 spots on 8 MN teams, 20 girls from 2001 and 29 girls from 2002 national camps, leaves 111 spots open for one tryout that happened 3 days ago?
Don't forget the 42 skaters/goalies going to 2003 national camp.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:45 pm

In the past, the Upper Midwest HS Elite League carried 3-u19 teams(red,white,black) and 3-u16 teams(sky,grey.royal). Rosters are filled with USA natty camp attendees and returning UWHSEL players. Tryouts are held for the remaining spots ( typically, a few spots) .

A couple of years ago,USA hockey eliminated the 14's natty camp. Then, they DOUBLED the number of 15's camp. Where, normally, Mn would have~20 kids going to the 15's natty camp, now you have 40+.... SO those tryouts are not to fill 100+ spots but to fill a very very few if any unless they expand the teams...Personally, I hope they don't expand the teams and weaken the level of play, just as USA Hky did with the 15's.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:02 pm

jg2112 wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:
Don't forget the 42 skaters/goalies going to 2003 national camp.
Also there are players that have aged out of National camps (typically seniors...this year it is 2000's). I believe that the 2000 birth year was a strong one for both national camp(s) and in Minnesota in general.

I believe that there will be kids from the tryouts that get placed on additional teams that play some Elite teams in the fall too. Last year there was E-train and another team I cannot recall the name of. At least 2 teams of girls. I believe that they get some games vs elite teams along with lower tier teams that travel to MN for games. Maybe some of the Wisconsin & ND teams. I think the power teams like SSM/Honeybaked/Caesars/Mission/Young Americans play just the Elite colors at U16 or U19. There is the northern MN team and also Gentry getting games with all of these teams as well.

Last year at U16 sky was 2002, grey was 2001, and royal was mix of 01/02 and some other randoms.

Definitely not enough spots for as many girls that want to play on red/white/black & sky/grey/royal.

tufboahp

Post by tufboahp » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:37 pm

Wonder if anyone could offer an opinion as to the hierarchy of the various fall leagues for 14's and 15's, in regards to the new HP Tier I leagues.

I presume the HP Tier I 14 and 15 leagues would both be of a higher level than even Premier Prep league, despite the presence of upperclassmen?

How many freshman/sophomores play in the Premier Prep league? Has that league tended to be a stepping stone to Elite League in the past?

j4241

Post by j4241 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:01 pm

I don't know, but a few considerations:

Tier 1 games from last fall are available online - queue up one or two, and decide how that level looks for yourself.

Leading scorers from the u14 tier 1 level were among their high school leading scorers as 9th graders, including on upper end AA teams. PPG of some were higher in high school than tier 1.

I saw one of the Dynamo tryout sessions, and the effort level was high, but average skill level was medium. If you have a young forward, Dynamo (and presumably Premier Prep?) might be a good option to have the challenge of playing agianst older kids and bigger bodies, but at a slightly lower skill level. For D, I think you'd rather play against higher talent level forwards. There were a couple of very talented kids at the session I saw, though, including an upper, upper level goalie.

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:30 am

Any updates on what is going on with Elite League/Prep League and this new dyno league? Appears to be like kind of a mess and people are confused as to what to sign up for.

Seems elite league is mainly/only OS kids. Do we know where other kids are leaning on Prep league vs dyno?

What is MN Hockey's role in all of this?

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:11 pm

goaliedad31 wrote:Any updates on what is going on with Elite League/Prep League and this new dyno league? Appears to be like kind of a mess and people are confused as to what to sign up for.

Seems elite league is mainly/only OS kids. Do we know where other kids are leaning on Prep league vs dyno?

What is MN Hockey's role in all of this?
Here is how it works. Mn elite league is made up primarily of kids who have been selected to the National camps. 15's 16/17 and 18 selects. The remaining spots are tried out for your hs coach has to nominate those kids. Os does run the girls side but it is open to kids who are not in os. Mn hockey has a small hand in it especially during the playoffs because a birth to the national championships is at stake. Now I could be wrong on some of the points but I think I am pretty close.

Hockey920

Post by Hockey920 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:55 am

goaliedad31 wrote:Any updates on what is going on with Elite League/Prep League and this new dyno league? Appears to be like kind of a mess and people are confused as to what to sign up for.
We are wondering the same thing...

With competing programs, I'm guessing we aren't going to get much information directly from them.

Does anyone have any more details they could share to help in deciding what is best for our daughters?

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Hockey920 wrote:
We are wondering the same thing...

With competing programs, I'm guessing we aren't going to get much information directly from them.

Does anyone have any more details they could share to help in deciding what is best for our daughters?
https://www.mghca.com/page/show/4246868 ... rep-league

Well Driller

Post by Well Driller » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Back to the original topic - and to sum up what's happened:

- the current MGHCA president secretly started her own fall hockey league
- the current MGHCA president booked ice for the Premier Prep league then later decided she could have the ice for her new league
- MGHCA rep's are now saying not so fast, with tryouts scheduled and a big splash on the front of the MGHCA website saying we're the real league

Wow. It sure puts into question the motives and integrity of a few people.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:34 am

Good Morning Players and Parents,

There has been a great deal of confusion in regards to the Premier Prep League for this coming season. This league has always been sponsored and run by the Minnesota Girls Hockey Coaches Association and it's members. This will continue to be the case this year and in the future. Another league called Dynamo being run out of Showcase Hockey and by our former director Jess Christopherson is running a similar league, but will not be associated with the Elite League, as we will be. Please get signed up for this league as soon as possible. If you were in the following categories you will be automatically placed on a team without having to try out with your registration:
Played Premier Prep League in the past
Made the High Performance 15's Summer Camp
Made the High Performance 16 or 17 Spring Festival
Made the High Performance National Invitational Tournament-Either the U-18 team or the Combined Team.

https://cdn3.sportngin.com/attachments/ ... _small.jpg

Please note: The MGHCA is dedicated to helping female high school hockey players reach their full potential as athletes as well as students. Our goal is to provide the best competitive environment while keeping the costs associated with playing hockey to reasonable levels. We are in the process of negotiations with another female hockey group (The Elite League) to allow seamless transition from one league level to another. An announcement regarding this partnership will be made in the near future. Thank you for your patience and support as the MGHCA prepares for the upcoming fall season.
Regards,
Tim Morris, Executive Director MGHCA

Premier Prep League Tryout Schedule
In regards to the upcoming Premier Prep league try-outs. Thank you all for your patience as we processed registrations. In order to accommodate the most people, the try-out date will be Sunday, July 15th from 3:00-4:30pm at Fogerty Arena in Blaine.

If this try-out date absolutely does not work for you, please reach out so we can make a plan moving forward.

Please plan to arrive 45 minutes before ice time. Players will be provided a pullover to wear for the tryout upon arrival, but please bring your own jersey.

We appreciate your flexibility throughout this process and we are grateful for the opportunity to continue the development of your daughter’s game and of girls’ hockey in Minnesota.

See you at the rink,

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:22 am

I don't see schedules or rosters for the Elite League. Have the tryout kids been notified? Do those who receive 'no' votes have an opportunity to land in one of the other two leagues?

hockeychopper

Re: Dynamo Premier Prep vs MGHCA Premier Prep

Post by hockeychopper » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:47 am

Any new news here in regards to Premier? Looks as if they are still looking for more skaters to fill out teams.

ShakestheClown

Post by ShakestheClown » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:57 am

Rosters are set. 7 teams were formed with 5 out of state teams filling out the league for a total of 12. The game schedules should be released today.

spamtownusa

Post by spamtownusa » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Did both of these leagues survive? Or, did they come back together?