7A - Thoughts

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Northernlakes

7A - Thoughts

Post by Northernlakes » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:19 pm

Hermantown by a long shot I suspect.

Greenway next- do they have that goaltender and depth to challenge Htown?
I suspect Htown is going to run right through Greenway and the rest with no issues this year.....

Next couple spots should be Virginia, Denfeld, Hibbing??

Bottom, Proctor, I Falls, North Shore, Eveleth .... Ely bringing up the rear.

kniven

Re: 7A - Thoughts

Post by kniven » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Hermantown all day long.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:49 am

Hermantown with Greenway nipping at their heels.
Int'l Falls may be a surprise to some.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Early thoughts.

1. Hermantown
2. Greenway
3. Virginia
4. Denfeld
5. International Falls
6. Eveleth-Gilbert
7. Hibbing
8. North Shore
9. Proctor
10. Ely

Hermantown very talented. Greenway lots of good players. Virginia, Denfeld and International Falls are pretty close. Hibbing, North Shore and Proctor in the next group. This could be Hibbing’s lowest point in their storied history. So many defections.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:54 am

greenwayraider wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:26 pm
Early thoughts.

1. Hermantown
2. Greenway
3. Virginia
4. Denfeld
5. International Falls
6. Eveleth-Gilbert
7. Hibbing
8. North Shore
9. Proctor
10. Ely

Hermantown very talented. Greenway lots of good players. Virginia, Denfeld and International Falls are pretty close. Hibbing, North Shore and Proctor in the next group. This could be Hibbing’s lowest point in their storied history. So many defections.
A painful truth. The stench of the Versich debacle continues to waft through the rafters of the Hibbing Memorial Arena. Just in the last five years, Hibbing has seen a whopping six D1-caliber players leave, along with four other defections of high-quality HS players. The crack in the talent dam that started with "I will not have my kids play for someone devoid of integrity and coaching skills." (rightly so, in retrospect), has drained the talent to where the reasons for leaving have devolved into "I can't bear the indignity of playing for a mediocre team, so I'll transfer to a contender." :cry:

There appears to be some talent coming up in the youth ranks, so hopefully by the time they reach HS this dark period will be a distant memory.

Nevertheless, I will enjoy watching Greenway battle Hermantown this year, as keeping the Hawks from state would be supremely gratifying for 99% of HS hockey fans, with a bonus side effect of setting off a vicious riot in "downtown" Hermantown following a 7A title game loss. Just think of the mayhem: overturned Escalades, 10-stall garages in flames, butlers tarred and feathered using caviar and the filling from Patagonia goose-down jackets, along with the inevitable server meltdown at American Express Black Card headquarters as Hawk fans desperately try to get refunds on the blocks of hotel rooms they so confidently reserved 9 months advance. :D

In 7A, its Hermantown and Greenway, with every other team far, far behind.

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:02 am

Hindsight is 20/20, but you wonder what would have happened if Gotz or Clafton had got the job after Decenzo left instead of Versich.

Gotz gets the job and you have the benefit of his kids staying in Hibbing.

Clafton gets the job and not sure if Gotz kids still leave or not. Doubt many of the other kids would have left.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:45 am

ironranger2 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:02 am
Hindsight is 20/20, but you wonder what would have happened if Gotz or Clafton had got the job after Decenzo left instead of Versich.

Gotz gets the job and you have the benefit of his kids staying in Hibbing.

Clafton gets the job and not sure if Gotz kids still leave or not. Doubt many of the other kids would have left.
Agreed. I think all would have stayed had either of those two been named coach. Although, I still don't think HIbbing would have gotten past those Hermantown teams, who were beating state AA champs with regularity. But, those 7A finals would have at least been fun to watch.

On a related note, new Cloquet coach Shea Walters was passed over for the Hibbing position after Versich resigned. Apparently, he wasn't qualified enough to take over a Hibbing program looking at one stacked year before a lull in talent, but he was good enough to take over what is likely a top 10 AA team in Cloquet. Not that I think Tomberlin is a bad coach, but makes you wonder about the decisions the AD in Hibbing is making. :?:

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:33 pm

f setting off a vicious riot in "downtown" Hermantown following a 7A title game loss. Just think of the mayhem: overturned Escalades, 10-stall garages in flames, butlers tarred and feathered using caviar and the filling from Patagonia goose-down jackets, along with the inevitable server meltdown at American Express Black Card headquarters as Hawk fans desperately try to get refunds on the blocks of hotel rooms they so confidently reserved 9 months advance. :D

That is funny ! No seriously, that is awesome 👏
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:46 pm

kniven wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:33 pm
f setting off a vicious riot in "downtown" Hermantown following a 7A title game loss. Just think of the mayhem: overturned Escalades, 10-stall garages in flames, butlers tarred and feathered using caviar and the filling from Patagonia goose-down jackets, along with the inevitable server meltdown at American Express Black Card headquarters as Hawk fans desperately try to get refunds on the blocks of hotel rooms they so confidently reserved 9 months advance. :D

That is funny ! No seriously, that is awesome 👏
I've got to get all my cheap shots in before they go AA, because I'll once again be rooting for them when they do. 8)

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:23 pm

Proctor's new hockey arena. I just walked though it earlier today. It is so nice! Reminds me alot of Cloquet's arena. Proctor is going to make 7A very interesting in a few years. You heard that here first =)!!!

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:01 pm

kniven wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:23 pm
Proctor's new hockey arena. I just walked though it earlier today. It is so nice! Reminds me alot of Cloquet's arena. Proctor is going to make 7A very interesting in a few years. You heard that here first =)!!!
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Another preposterous statement. Thanks!

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:05 pm

what does the word 'preposterous" mean

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:15 pm

kniven wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:05 pm
what does the word 'preposterous" mean
If you had gone to Proctor High you would know! :wink:

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Makes sense...........

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:44 pm

Upfan111 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:01 pm
kniven wrote:
Sorry, sorry...PERPOSTEROUS.

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:37 am

Upfan111 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:44 pm
Upfan111 wrote:
kniven wrote:
I sounded it out. Lol. Seriously though I think he is correct. If you look at the continuing grease fire that is the Duluth School system and how fast kids are leaving it and then combine it with a decent arena you are going to get some of those kids. Maybe not the all stars but those high end B+/A- kids will take a serious look to be able to get to play in a new arena and get a decent education also. If Proctor can get a couple of them to come over and then can keep a few of their own kids from jumping ship they could do it. With both of the local recruiting powerhouses moved up to AA there is gonna be some green grass and 7A will be pretty much wide open. It is gonna be fun to see how it shakes out.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:57 pm

Wet Paint wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:37 am
Upfan111 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:44 pm
Upfan111 wrote:

I sounded it out. Lol. Seriously though I think he is correct. If you look at the continuing grease fire that is the Duluth School system and how fast kids are leaving it and then combine it with a decent arena you are going to get some of those kids. Maybe not the all stars but those high end B+/A- kids will take a serious look to be able to get to play in a new arena and get a decent education also. If Proctor can get a couple of them to come over and then can keep a few of their own kids from jumping ship they could do it. With both of the local recruiting powerhouses moved up to AA there is gonna be some green grass and 7A will be pretty much wide open. It is gonna be fun to see how it shakes out.
It's definitely interesting what's going on in Proctor. The School District is currently in discussion to buy the Old Hockey Arena from the City for $1.00. Their vision is to install Artificial Turf and use it as an Indoor Practice Facility for multiple sports, with Wrestling using the upper level for a practice facility. PAHA has a lease through 2020, however, and may possibly use it as a 2nd indoor sheet this year and/or next.

With the New Arena, New Outdoor Rinks, Turf Project at Egerdahl for Football, Baseball, Soccer and Lacrosse, and now this development, Proctor has quietly put together the Best Youth Athletic facilities in the Area. I was fortunate enough to get a private tour of the new Arena from a co-worker. There will be no better place in Northern MN to watch a Hockey Game. They got it right.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:03 pm

"There will be no better place in Northern MN to watch a Hockey Game."

What is the criteria?
I can think of several really good places to watch hockey on this side of northern Minnesota.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:09 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:03 pm
"There will be no better place in Northern MN to watch a Hockey Game."

What is the criteria?
I can think of several really good places to watch hockey on this side of northern Minnesota.
I've been in all of them and I couldn't agree more. You'll never beat Hibbing Memorial, the Hipp, Miners, Snake Pit, even the old rink in Crookston when it comes to nostalgia and History. Obviously haven't seen a game in there yet but what struck me about Proctor Arena were the sight lines and the intimacy of it. I will take that aspect over Amsoil, Sanford and the Little Ralph.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:31 pm

I guess this should be cut-off now because we are getting off task and there have been threads regarding 'best arenas' in the past.
Last edited by elliott70 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 am

Any updates on where/when 7A teams are having scrimmages before the season? With practices starting Monday, I would assume there will be some next weekend.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:37 pm

ironranger2 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 am
Any updates on where/when 7A teams are having scrimmages before the season? With practices starting Monday, I would assume there will be some next weekend.
I know Greenway is coming to Cloquet next Saturday.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:21 pm

ironranger2 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 am
Hermantown will be hosting Totiino Gracee for a scrimmage on the 24th. Should be at least a moderately interesting matchup.

backrinkrat

Post by backrinkrat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Hermantown and the Raiders will be good but I would not underestimate the Virginia Blue Devils. Very talented up front and the D will be solid. Section 7 will finally not be a Hawks one way ticket to the X ! [-X

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:59 am

backrinkrat wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:22 pm
Hermantown and the Raiders will be good but I would not underestimate the Virginia Blue Devils. Very talented up front and the D will be solid. Section 7 will finally not be a Hawks one way ticket to the X ! [-X
Virginia returns a ton of scoring, most of their defense, and their goaltending, but I still put them a distant 3rd in 7A. Seitz was the star they depended on, and now they have no high-end player that can carry them. They may very well be a top ten A team as they are pretty deep with quality juniors and seniors, but Hermantown and Greenway are likely to both be top 3 in A, each with multiple D1 caliber players.

Maybe the Devils' new coach can maximize their talents and an incoming bantam or two can provide a boost, but the two Goliaths at the top will be hard to beat come February.