Dynamo Premier Prep vs MGHCA Premier Prep

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goaliedad31

Re: Dynamo Premier Prep vs MGHCA Premier Prep

Post by goaliedad31 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:08 am

And how does the "alternate" elite league fit into all this? All of this is a mess right now. Parents are very confused. MN Hockey needs to step in.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:14 am

Do I have this right?

There is an Elite League.
There is a Premier Prep League.
There is a Dynamo League.
There is a Tier 1 Fall League for 14 year olds.
There is a Tier 1 Fall League for 15 year olds.
There is a OS Fall League.
There is a Fall MASH League.
There are multiple fall 3 on 3 leagues.

That's a lot of leagues.

ShakestheClown

Post by ShakestheClown » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:30 am

I see no problem with it. The Elite league will still draw the best, and all the other leagues offer ample opportunity for kids to play if they care to.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:09 am

No issue at all with so many leagues.

My issue is it would be nice if the governing bodies for leagues such as Tier 1, Elite League, Premier Prep, etc. could provide a roadmap for parents. It would be beneficial for parents new to this process.

ShakestheClown

Post by ShakestheClown » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:45 am

I don't mean to be obtuse, but a "road map" to what?

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Many would also request a roadmap or something that is semi informative about recruiting/committing but that is a little off topic. I believe that every year a new group of kids and parents are blindsided by it...both the recruited and the ones that want to be recruited.

hockeychopper

Post by hockeychopper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:44 am

In looking at the rosters and the age of some of these players, isn't a pre-requisite for players to have played at the Varsity level? Perhaps they all have but seems as if that may not be the case?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:50 am

I don't think varsity experience is a prerequisite to play in either the Dynamo or MGHCA leagues. So long as the player shows up at tryouts and the credit card information is verified......

tufboahp

Post by tufboahp » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:03 am

So after looking at Dynamo & Elite rosters, any thoughts on which league "won"?, i.e. which has the preponderance of better talent?

hockeychopper

Post by hockeychopper » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:21 pm

I don't know who won per se, but Premier looks pretty watered down and still looking for players to fill out the rosters.

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:28 am

Unfortunately it looks like the talent is split multiple ways between Dynamo/Premier Prep/Prep Elite with several girls playing in at least two. Lots of money to be made in hockey. :wink:

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:37 am

I see one potential Ms Goalie candidate playing in each league and a couple of other good goalies.

I think that Stoterau from Centennial is really, really good and imho could definitely end up at a D1 school. Only 8 goals against in 117 shots against against arguably the best two teams in the state in 4 games last season. I dont think she has ever gotten the credit she deserves after a couple of really good years. She is in Dynamo.

I also think that Teagen Johnson from Mounds View is also a really good goalie and playing for MGHCA.

Its pretty clear that the accolades of Calla Frank (and the fact that she is REALLY good) will get her Ms Goalie. She might have some competition from Pahl from Rochester if she would play girls this year but I think I heard that she will play boys again. The Gopher vs the Maverick...usually the Gopher would have the edge but would be interesting as Frank has much better USA hockey results.

sk8trboy

Post by sk8trboy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:07 pm

Where are the rosters posted for the elite league?

SteelCurtain

Post by SteelCurtain » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:46 am

massalsa wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:37 am
I see one potential Ms Goalie candidate playing in each league and a couple of other good goalies.

I think that Stoterau from Centennial is really, really good and imho could definitely end up at a D1 school. Only 8 goals against in 117 shots against against arguably the best two teams in the state in 4 games last season. I dont think she has ever gotten the credit she deserves after a couple of really good years. She is in Dynamo.

I also think that Teagen Johnson from Mounds View is also a really good goalie and playing for MGHCA.

Its pretty clear that the accolades of Calla Frank (and the fact that she is REALLY good) will get her Ms Goalie. She might have some competition from Pahl from Rochester if she would play girls this year but I think I heard that she will play boys again. The Gopher vs the Maverick...usually the Gopher would have the edge but would be interesting as Frank has much better USA hockey results.
Funny guy... Though all the goalies you mentioned are of high quality. There is a flaw in your logic however. Did the Ms Goalie from last year have the best stats? Looking at the semi finalist, she wasn't even in the top five. Of course if Tim Morris (time for him to move on by the way) knows her personally, well it might just work out for her. By the way did Tim Morris ever coach at Eden Prairie for the girls program? Just wondering.... My point is, its never that simple, and it doesn't always go to the best stat sheet. Playing on certain teams really does not impress me much either when considering who is deserving.. Earn it on the ice, not because whats on the front of your shirt, or who stands behind the bench. Free rides for goalies because of what team your on has proven to be a fatal flaw for a few over the years. Stoterau is an excellent goalie, and Morgan w/12 shut outs alone, both have earned the "accolades" legitimately.. They have size and a solid skill set, just a more complete package. I would put these two goalies above aforementioned as contenders for Ms Goalie. Not just having Kwapick as a coach for a elevation bump to the Ms. Goalie title. All these teams have lost a a lot of talent these last few years, and the league across the board frankly. It definitely could be an interesting year to watch unfold. It could be a goalie season to remember, and a tight race for Ms Goalie for these girls and others by seasons end.
Last edited by SteelCurtain on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

dueling21

Post by dueling21 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:32 am

sk8trboy wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:07 pm
I'll second this request...anyone know where the rosters are posted? I can't find them online anywhere...

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:08 pm

dueling21 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:32 am
sk8trboy wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:07 pm
I'll second this request...anyone know where the rosters are posted? I can't find them online anywhere...
http://www.hselitehockey.com/stats#/164 ... on_id=5471

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:57 am

The Elite League NIT tourney was this past weekend. The top 2 teams from MGHCA Premier Prep teams played in the tourney.

https://www.mghca.com/news_article/show/959178

The Red team:
Beat Elite Red 2-1
Lost to Colorado U19 1-5
Beat Thunder Bay AAA 3-2
Tied MGHCA PPL Royal Blue 1-1

The Royal Blue team:

Lost to Thunder Bay AAA 3-2
Beat Madison Capitols U19 3-1
Lost to Team Wisconsin 3-1
Tied MGHCA PPL Red 1-1

I believe that this is good for girls hockey that another twin cities league played well in this tourney against some regional Tier 1 teams including Elite Red.

spamtownusa

Post by spamtownusa » Tue May 07, 2019 4:35 pm

Thought I’d move this up. It looks like MN Hockey has discontinued their girls HP15 Fall Tier I League and has not provided any information on options for 04 birth year girls next fall. Wondering if anyone knows how this played out last year or knows of other potential options?

highgloveside

Re:

Post by highgloveside » Wed May 08, 2019 10:10 am

Well Driller wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:16 pm
Back to the original topic - and to sum up what's happened:

- the current MGHCA president secretly started her own fall hockey league
- the current MGHCA president booked ice for the Premier Prep league then later decided she could have the ice for her new league
- MGHCA rep's are now saying not so fast, with tryouts scheduled and a big splash on the front of the MGHCA website saying we're the real league

Wow. It sure puts into question the motives and integrity of a few people.
Well said. pardon the pun. There is A LOT of money in hockey leagues and more than enough parents to throw the money down. What's the best thing to do? Go where the coaching is the best and make sure the staff is connected in some way to where your daughter wants to be after high school. lay out the pros and cons of each and ask your daughter where she wants to be. Then get out the wallet, It's expensive but if the kid wants to put the work in and truly loves it AND they made the choice, it's worth it. IF you send your're kid where YOU want them to go and you feel ripped off after the first week you probably were but guess what? then it's your own fault. Happy league hunting :D