Is Greenway turning into Hermantown?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

formersection3Afan

Re: Is Greenway turning into Hermantown?

Post by formersection3Afan » Tue May 29, 2018 10:02 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
kniven wrote:Well, I guess we will find out soon enough. If Smalley leaves CEC, I wonder who the Lumberjacks would be looking at. I don’t think Smalley is going anywhere. I also don’t think he applied for CSS job
Anybody hear from a source that Smalley is interested in Wilderness head coaching job? It does make sense, I guess.
No, they will hire someone with NAHL experience which neither Smalley or Esty have, look for an experienced hire here. Your Jacks look loaded hoping Smalls shows them the way!
correct SP the next coach does have NAHL experience

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed May 30, 2018 7:43 am

Looks like former Greenway standout Ken Gernander is moving back to Coleraine. His son will be a junior forward. Even more firepower for the Raiders. An interesting side story is that Gernander, Vekich and Miller were key components to the great ‘87 team. Now their sons (all juniors to be) will be playing for Greenway.

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Wed May 30, 2018 8:59 am

greenwayraider wrote:Looks like former Greenway standout Ken Gernander is moving back to Coleraine. His son will be a junior forward. Even more firepower for the Raiders. An interesting side story is that Gernander, Vekich and Miller were key components to the great ‘87 team. Now their sons (all juniors to be) will be playing for Greenway.

That is nice, but who is going to be the goalie?

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed May 30, 2018 9:05 am

Goalie is a big question mark. Without a good one, I don't see them being able to beat Hermantown.

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Wed May 30, 2018 9:34 am

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
kniven wrote:Well, I guess we will find out soon enough. If Smalley leaves CEC, I wonder who the Lumberjacks would be looking at. I don’t think Smalley is going anywhere. I also don’t think he applied for CSS job
Anybody hear from a source that Smalley is interested in Wilderness head coaching job? It does make sense, I guess.
No, they will hire someone with NAHL experience which neither Smalley or Essy have, look for an experienced hire here. Your Jacks look loaded hoping Smalls shows them the way!

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed May 30, 2018 4:33 pm

It should be an interesting off season, pre-season, and the season itself. Discipline and accountability will be the key with this group of boys. If you want to have fun, join the circus. Its about a lot more than fun and hurt feelings.

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Wed May 30, 2018 4:36 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
No, they will hire someone with NAHL experience which neither Smalley or Essy have, look for an experienced hire here. Your Jacks look loaded hoping Smalls shows them the way!

Madsen's hiring at CSS was announced today:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... wilderness

The article also confirms what Spolier and formersection3Afan reported here, that the new Wilderness coach has NAHL experience: Dave Boitz, the team's GM, will add the head coaching duties. He's previously coached in the league.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:26 am

Heard from a pretty good source that Greenway found a goalie. We’ll see if it’s true within the next couple of weeks.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:06 pm

greenwayraider wrote:Heard from a pretty good source that Greenway found a goalie. We’ll see if it’s true within the next couple of weeks.
I want to find a goalie. That would be fun. Kind of like Pokémon GO but goalies instead of Pokémon s!

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:29 pm

greenwayraider wrote:Heard from a pretty good source that Greenway found a goalie. We’ll see if it’s true within the next couple of weeks.
Ahh the true spirit of high school hockey.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:56 pm

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Ahh the true spirit of high school hockey.

Yes. See what Hermantown has started. Keep it up Greenway :)

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:04 pm

Greenway has a new student from Ohio who happens to be a goalie. Also, Hibbing might be losing another player to Greenway.

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Excellent! I want to see Greenway dominate for awhile!
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:22 am

They should be AA for all the recruiting they do!!

:D

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:59 pm

Former Greenway family moved back with their son who plays hockey. Moved from Elk River where he was a bantam.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:31 am

greenwayraider wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:59 pm
Former Greenway family moved back with their son who plays hockey. Moved from Elk River where he was a bantam.
Excellent!

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:23 am

greenwayraider wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:59 pm
Just for clarity - I don't believe this was a "hockey" move. Mom and Dad had an opportunity to get back to their hometown. That said, the kid was a Bantam AA player last year and should add some depth.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:45 pm

Looks like the other Hibbing kid will be at Greenway too. He played some youth hockey at Greenway.
Last edited by greenwayraider on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:14 pm

Also heard that a standout Hibbing sophomore varsity forward left for Sioux Falls U16 Tier 1
No room at Greenway I guess?

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:30 pm

muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:14 pm
Also heard that a standout Hibbing sophomore varsity forward left for Sioux Falls U16 Tier 1
No room at Greenway I guess?
Good lord. Mass exodus continues, which means either:

A) There is no faith in the current head coach.

or

B) The indignity of playing for a below average HS hockey team is just too painful for these kids/parents to bear.

Ugh. :?

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:45 pm

yea. Hibbing boys high school hockey is over with a capital O ! .......a great rink, though. and girls high school hockey

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:35 am

kniven wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:45 pm
yea. Hibbing boys high school hockey is over with a capital O ! .......a great rink, though. and girls high school hockey
Saying a program is "over" is a bit extreme. You know as well as anyone talent comes in cycles for Class A sized programs. Hibbing will be fine. Especially once Hermantown goes to AA, as parity will return to 7A and even the #5 or #6 seed can harbor dreams of making a run to the tourney.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:39 am

I expect to see Hibbing representing Section 7A at state at some point. They’ve just have hit a bad stretch and will turn things around.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:55 am

greenwayraider wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:39 am
I expect to see Hibbing representing Section 7A at state at some point. They’ve just have hit a bad stretch and will turn things around.
Agreed. With Greenway's revival, Virginia, Hibbing, and Denfeld usually in the top 5 mix, Proctor's likely growth due to better facilities, E-G's vast improvement, North Shore's increased numbers from the combined program, and I-Falls' not being far behind the top 4-5 most years, I can see 7A being a fun section with a exciting Semifinal Saturday nearly every year.

I look forward to Greenway bringing home the next two Class A titles.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:20 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:55 am
greenwayraider wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:39 am
Agreed. With Greenway's revival, Virginia, Hibbing, and Denfeld usually in the top 5 mix, Proctor's likely growth due to better facilities, E-G's vast improvement, North Shore's increased numbers from the combined program, and I-Falls' not being far behind the top 4-5 most years, I can see 7A being a fun section with a exciting Semifinal Saturday nearly every year.

I look forward to Greenway bringing home the next two Class A titles.
Now would that be sweet or what!