The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Why would Biondi turn down a national development invite to play single A playoff high school hockey? I’m just curious.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:07 pm

kniven wrote:Why would Biondi turn down a national development invite to play single A playoff high school hockey? I’m just curious.
Maybe because he wants to play with his friends and/or he would prefer to live at home?

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:39 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
kniven wrote:Why would Biondi turn down a national development invite to play single A playoff high school hockey? I’m just curious.
Maybe because he wants to play with his friends and/or he would prefer to live at home?
Ha, I stepped into that pile of poo regarding Jack Smith declining the NTDP to return to Cathedral, and I wasn’t even really questioning his decision. The NTDP is a huge commitment, and certainly isn’t for everyone. Both Biondi and Smith are already committed to UMD, and probably feel like they have some unfinished business at the high school level and can continue their development just fine there. FWIW, Gallatin and Kelley are also UMD commits who accepted NTDP offers, so clearly the college coaching staff is not influencing the decision process.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:32 pm

Hermantown is stocked from 4th grade to 9th. Damn. If they go AA, were all in trouble.......

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Could be a matter of do you trust the process of your High School development? Are you having fun with your High School teammates? Good coaches? Jealous parents? These may be some but not all reasons for a kid and their parents to decide NTDP over staying put.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:13 pm

And what's up with those new uniforms?!!!!

rainier2

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by rainier2 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:00 am

Time to resuscitate this thread.

Hermantown should be in AA!!! :D

Actually, it will be fascinating to see if they finally make the move. They would likely be top 3 in 7AA most years and instantly become a fan favorite if they do, and if not, it will be fun to watch the statewide disgust multiply as they continue to stack A trophies while playing a AA-heavy schedule in which they beat top AA teams.

I wish they'd let the players decide.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:20 am

Congrats to the Hermantown Hawk football team for qualifying for the state tournament.
Go Hawks!

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:05 am

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:00 am

Actually, it will be fascinating to see if they finally make the move. They would likely be top 3 in 7AA most years and instantly become a fan favorite if they do, and if not, it will be fun to watch the statewide disgust multiply as they continue to stack A trophies while playing a AA-heavy schedule in which they beat top AA teams.

Interesting if DM would drop back down to A. Would it be considered running from Hermantown, or the closing of a window of AA worth amount of talent?

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 am

That guy for that thing wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:05 am
rainier2 wrote:

Interesting if DM would drop back down to A. Would it be considered running from Hermantown, or the closing of a window of AA worth amount of talent?
I wouldn't be surprised at all. If Hermantown goes AA, it will be interesting to see how that affect the dynamics of hockey talent in the Twin Ports.
-Will Hermantown get more transfers/open enrollees because they are AA? Would they present a real threat to East in 7AA on a yearly basis?
-Will the Hermantown transfer/open enrollee pipeline dry up because the trip to the X is no longer guaranteed? Would this mean more kids choose DM for the academics? Would more Proctor and/or Denfeld kids stay at home because going to state in A would become conceivable once again?
-Does DM go back down to A and start getting more talent as a trip to the X becomes easier?

I await the decision with bated breath. 8)

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:33 am

rainier2 wrote:

I don't know about the players, but I don't believe most of the parents and decision makers want to go AA (but all it takes is a couple to make that decision). There is a different mindset there when it comes to A vs AA when compared with opt-ups like Cloquet, Rapids, and Roseau. The success at A vs Mike Randolph/Duluth East/7AA/AA is the major factor.

I am also vey interested to see what the decision will be and of course, the result.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

kniven

Re:

Post by kniven » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:59 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:39 pm
HHawks4Ever wrote:
rainier2 wrote:Please stop with these empty statements that make it appear as though you're taking the high road in this debate. Your "stance" is that they shouldn't be forced to move up, that staying in single A is their decision, and that the rest of the state shouldn't have any say in that decision? That's not a stance, that's reality. They can't be forced to move up, staying in single A is their decision, and the rest of the state doesn't have a say in that decision. You might as well say your "stance" is that the sun will rise tomorrow!!
Exactly, if that's the reality, then maybe you should stop incessantly moaning about it on a message board?
When your Varsity team makes Class A State 10 years in a row, your AA Bantam team makes State & AA PeeWee team makes State & finishes 2nd...How in the world can you justify staying in Single A (after 2018-2019)??? Don’t you realize that your small mindedness is cheating some really talented players from a shot at playing for the BIG PRIZE? I was lucky enough to have a son play in the AA State Tourney & the accomplishment of GETTING THEIR...is what was most gratifying! To quote a line in a Tom Hanks movie “It’s suppose to be hard” (to advance to AA STATE) “The hard is what makes it GREAT!” It’s not a birth right for HT players to play for the little prize all 3 or 4 years of HS. Wake up and grow some stones...
Hermantown would definitely be in the top 2/3 every single year like clock work. CEC would become an outsider routinely outside the the top 4 in the section semi-finals. We would have our moments/stretches though. =)
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

Goose21

Re: Re:

Post by Goose21 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:18 am

kniven wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:59 pm
hockey59 wrote:
HHawks4Ever wrote:
Exactly, if that's the reality, then maybe you should stop incessantly moaning about it on a message board?
When your Varsity team makes Class A State 10 years in a row, your AA Bantam team makes State & AA PeeWee team makes State & finishes 2nd...How in the world can you justify staying in Single A (after 2018-2019)??? Don’t you realize that your small mindedness is cheating some really talented players from a shot at playing for the BIG PRIZE? I was lucky enough to have a son play in the AA State Tourney & the accomplishment of GETTING THEIR...is what was most gratifying! To quote a line in a Tom Hanks movie “It’s suppose to be hard” (to advance to AA STATE) “The hard is what makes it GREAT!” It’s not a birth right for HT players to play for the little prize all 3 or 4 years of HS. Wake up and grow some stones...
Hermantown would definitely be in the top 2/3 every single year like clock work. CEC would become an outsider routinely outside the the top 4 in the section semi-finals. We would have our moments/stretches though. =)
Do you think Hermantown will be better than East, Andover, and CEC this year?

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:01 am

Goose21 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:18 am
kniven wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
East - No, Andover - No, Cloquet- maybe. (that said, Cloquet will have a peak team this year) Lost a couple outstanding seniors...but have 2 future D1 players (Gotz & Pierce...who will receive multiple offers down the road) on D and one of the premier players in the State (Biondi) at forward. The clear favorite to win Class A State & hopefully the last year they compete for the little trophy.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:33 am

Goose21 wrote:
kniven wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Probably not this year. But most years moving forward they will be. They will start a 5-6 year run starting next year where they will be among the top 2-3 teams in the state. We all know about Biondi, and they have a very talented sophomore class this year led by Joey Pierce from Ely, Cole Antcliff from Proctor and Ethan Lund from Hayward, WI. How quickly they can get that group up to speed will be key for this year. They will need good Senior leadership out of Darian Gotz from Hibbing and Elliott Peterson from Hermantown. We will be watching Hermantown and Greenway in the 7A final this year in what should be a good matchup.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:55 am

If Hermantown were AA this year they would be in the top three because Andover would more than likely be in 5AA.

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:48 am

hockey59 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:01 am
Goose21 wrote:
kniven wrote:

East - No, Andover - No, Cloquet- maybe. (that said, Cloquet will have a peak team this year) Lost a couple outstanding seniors...but have 2 future D1 players (Gotz & Pierce...who will receive multiple offers down the road) on D and one of the premier players in the State (Biondi) at forward. The clear favorite to win Class A State & hopefully the last year they compete for the little trophy.
I would probably rate them 4th just behind CEC this season. The CEC BAA team was tops in the North last season. Hermantown beat out East (who down a couple players) to make state, which should make it an interesting battle in 7AA in a couple years if H-Town opts up. Rapids is close behind.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Stray call from left field. How good Hermantown is going to be this year is being overstated in this thread. Could be wrong.....but that’s my call.

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:50 am

Section 8 guy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:18 pm
Stray call from left field. How good Hermantown is going to be this year is being overstated in this thread. Could be wrong.....but that’s my call.
I am not saying we are not overstating, or that we are overstating, but they do have 4 kids on the 7A/AA All-Preseason team.

2018-19 CBS 3 Section 7AA/7A All-Preseason High School Boys Hockey Team

First Team
F — Ricky Lyle, Duluth East senior
F — Blake Biondi, Hermantown junior (Bulldogs recruit)
F — Ryder Donovan, Duluth East senior (North Dakota recruit)
D — Darian Gotz, Hermantown senior (Bulldogs recruit)
D — Joey Pierce, Hermantown sophomore
G — Cole Manahan, Hermantown senior

Second Team
F — Gavin Rasmussen, Cloquet senior
F — Logan Anderson, Duluth East junior
F — Donte Lawson, Greenway senior
D — Frederick Hunter Paine, Duluth East senior
D — Jack Peart, Grand Rapids sophomore
G — Carter Clafton, Greenway sophomore

Preseason Player of the Year
F — Blake Biondi, Hermantown

Now, this is a "All-Preseason team, so its not a great representation of the kids summer development, but still something to utilize for speculation.

Link for other reading.

https://cbs3duluth.com/sport/high-schoo ... -the-year/

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:03 am

Carter Clafton is from Rapids not Greenway. I doubt Hibbing will end up any higher than a six or seven seed.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:37 am

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:50 am
Section 8 guy wrote:
I am not saying we are not overstating, or that we are overstating, but they do have 4 kids on the 7A/AA All-Preseason team.

First Team

Second Team

Now, this is a "All-Preseason team, so its not a great representation of the kids summer development, but still something to utilize for speculation.

Link for other reading.

Very clear written by a 218 Duluth writer. No one south of CEC on this list, clearly the writer never travels south out of 218! While the three sophomores' are all very good players, picking them as a section all star is a little bold without playing a game in HS. Guessing there are a few Huskies that should be on this list as well.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:53 am

MWS coach wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:37 am
Section 8 guy wrote:

First Team

Second Team

Link for other reading.

Very clear written by a 218 Duluth writer. No one south of CEC on this list, clearly the writer never travels south out of 218! While the three sophomores' are all very good players, picking them as a section all star is a little bold without playing a game in HS. Guessing there are a few Huskies that should be on this list as well.
Joey Pierce will have his pick of Division 1 Programs, he definitely belongs on this list. He will be the 5th D1 Player from the last four teams that Hermantown was able to pull in from other programs. One was an NHL draft pick as well. Very impressive for a small town, community based, Class A program. You have to give them credit.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:02 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:53 am
MWS coach wrote:

First Team

Second Team

Link for other reading.

Joey Pierce will have his pick of Division 1 Programs, he definitely belongs on this list. He will be the 5th D1 Player from the last four teams that Hermantown was able to pull in from other programs. One was an NHL draft pick as well. Very impressive for a small town, community based, Class A program. You have to give them credit.
As I said, all very good players and don't disagree that JP will play D1, but is he top 2 D in section 7A/AA is a little bit of a reach for me as a sophmore. There a several D men in the section that I would place above him for this season, maybe not long term potential, but for the upcoming season, um yeah. Just my opinion, but I guess I have a broader view of section 7A/AA outside of 218! :lol:

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:13 am

MWS coach wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:02 am
Jeffy95 wrote:
MWS coach wrote:

As I said, all very good players and don't disagree that JP will play D1, but is he top 2 D in section 7A/AA is a little bit of a reach for me as a sophmore. There a several D men in the section that I would place above him for this season, maybe not long term potential, but for the upcoming season, um yeah. Just my opinion, but I guess I have a broader view of section 7A/AA outside of 218! :lol:
I think it's clear this guy meant it to be an "all Northern" 7AA/A team. He should have labeled it that way.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:34 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:13 am
MWS coach wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:02 am
Jeffy95 wrote:

I think it's clear this guy meant it to be an "all Northern" 7AA/A team. He should have labeled it that way.
This was put together by a TV station here in Duluth. It caters to their viewing area, nothing else. Anything south of CEC or Moose Lake would not be included, regardless of any opinion otherwise.