Ryder Donovan

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

wannagototherink
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:20 am

Post by wannagototherink » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:01 pm

Rocketwrister wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
I sure wish CEC could keep their D1 talent through their senior season like Duluth East does year in an Year out. It's frustrating as a fan. -just being honest.

A great read for sure. This kid has a plan and coach Mike Randolph. Very impressive, the Hounds system is.[/quote

Have you ever thought of a reason why

Because of the clear path to St. Paul every March that Hermantown has as a class A team.
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter

Upfan111
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 5:16 pm
Location: Up north

Post by Upfan111 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 am

wannagototherink wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
I sure wish CEC could keep their D1 talent through their senior season like Duluth East does year in an Year out. It's frustrating as a fan. -just being honest.

A great read for sure. This kid has a plan and coach Mike Randolph. Very impressive, the Hounds system is.[/quote

Have you ever thought of a reason why

Because of the clear path to St. Paul every March that Hermantown has as a class A team.
Reason is kids didn't want to come back and play for that staff.

bemused
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:20 am

Post by bemused » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:42 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Derek Forbort left for the US National Development and Mike had an opinion about it in the local papers.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... pment-team
Yeah, Mike was spot on there..Tardy didn't even play his senior year at UMD and Forbort plays next to Drew Doughty every night...

Stang5280
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:09 pm

bemused wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:Derek Forbort left for the US National Development and Mike had an opinion about it in the local papers.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... pment-team
Yeah, Mike was spot on there..Tardy didn't even play his senior year at UMD and Forbort plays next to Drew Doughty every night...
Any coach who criticizes a player for joining the NDTP, or would even actively discourage them from joining, is a selfish jerk. That is a golden opportunity with a proven track record of preparing players for the college ranks and beyond. You've done your job of grooming an elite player and can take pride in that. Just wish him well and move on.

karl(east)
Posts: 6095
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by karl(east) » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 pm

It's funny when kniven says East never loses players early, as they went through a long stretch from 1998-2010 where they lost eight or nine--nearly one a year. Since then, there's been a grand total of one. This ability to retain top-end talent is a recent thing.

We can cherry-pick evidence and drudge up old stories all we want; we could go back and forth for a long time and really hijack a thread that's supposed to be about a kid. But people are complicated, full of good and bad and sometimes (often?) those two fuel one another. Mike Randolph is an intense person who has achieved a lot of things and earned a loyal following over the years, and he's also alienated his share of people and even got fired for it once. Someone could write a very good book about him and what he encapsulates about HS sports in this day in age, for good and ill. For now, I'll just say that, while some things don't change about Randolph, he's had a lot of different acts over the course of a coaching career that is longer than my life. And the most recent act is preferable to the previous one, both for his sake and for the program's.

We can debate that elsewhere, though. This thread is about Ryder.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2425
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:28 am

Young Mr. Donovan will face the same decision next season. North Dakota got a good one.

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4037
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:56 pm

Removed NoDak from his twitter

gopherpuck516
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:59 am

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by gopherpuck516 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:24 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:56 pm
Removed NoDak from his twitter
Already like him a lot better! Any college would be happy to have a player like him, my guess is Bulldogs land him.

O-townClown
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by O-townClown » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:02 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:56 pm
Removed NoDak from his twitter
Wow
Be kind. Rewind.

CakeScout17
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by CakeScout17 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:29 pm

Wow is right. Could be nothing...could be everything.
Searched google and all the recruiting sites still list him as NoDak bound as does his elite prospects page...however,
no searches confirmed his actual signing of his NLI...no images, posts, nothing from any of the twin ports media outlets either. Hmmm...

WestMetro
Posts: 2431
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by WestMetro » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:41 pm

There is a big story, but can’t be told yet

O-townClown
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by O-townClown » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:07 am

WestMetro wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:41 pm
There is a big story, but can’t be told yet
Leaving to play in the USHL with Oliver Wahlstrom? LOL
Be kind. Rewind.

CakeScout17
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by CakeScout17 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:34 am

WestMetro wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:41 pm
There is a big story, but can’t be told yet

I hope and pray it IS only hockey related. If so, it is what it is. If not, then I/we wish RD and family nothing but the best. Godspeed.

The Exiled One
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by The Exiled One » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:15 am

WestMetro wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:41 pm
There is a big story, but can’t be told yet
Hope it’s nothing bad. Looks like he might have a decent relationship with Brett Larson though. Would love to see him in cardinal and black.

karl(east)
Posts: 6095
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by karl(east) » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:13 am

I can assure everyone that this is nothing "bad."

O-townClown
Posts: 3647
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by O-townClown » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:39 am

karl(east) wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:13 am
I can assure everyone that this is nothing "bad."
I'm not following the I-know-something-but-can't-tell logic here. If people know something and don't feel it is their place to share it better to keep quiet and say nothing.
Be kind. Rewind.

karl(east)
Posts: 6095
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by karl(east) » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:26 am

O-townClown wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:39 am
karl(east) wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:13 am
I can assure everyone that this is nothing "bad."
I'm not following the I-know-something-but-can't-tell logic here. If people know something and don't feel it is their place to share it better to keep quiet and say nothing.
I agree, which is why I was saying nothing until a few people seemed to suggest that something might be wrong with Ryder, on or off the ice. This is not the case, and I didn't want that rumor out there, so I decided to dispel it.

I try to avoid the rather annoying "I know something through my secret sources but am not going to tell anyone what it is" mentality that is not uncommon on this forum, but in this particular case I thought it was more important to kill off any potential false rumors that might emerge.

zamboniexhaustinhaler
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:50 am

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:36 am

O-townClown wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:39 am
karl(east) wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:13 am
I can assure everyone that this is nothing "bad."
I'm not following the I-know-something-but-can't-tell logic here. If people know something and don't feel it is their place to share it better to keep quiet and say nothing.
=D> =D> =D>

blueblood
Posts: 2291
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Tonka

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by blueblood » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:17 am

Is WestMetro Geraldo Rivera?
Play Like a Champion Today

elliott70
Posts: 13086
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by elliott70 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:04 am

I wish the kid the best.
He is a great hockey player and more important, from what I am told, a good kid from a good family.

kniven
Posts: 2453
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by kniven » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:05 am

blueblood wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:17 am
Is WestMetro Geraldo Rivera?
Yes he is.

WestMetro
Posts: 2431
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by WestMetro » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:05 pm

Release of the story is on the players timeline

Geraldo would approve of that!

CakeScout17
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by CakeScout17 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:34 pm

Totally on his timeline.

And now that its been confirmed, and re-confirmed over the weekend that it IS hockey related...he must take his time to decide his future.

Stay or head south?

Both mascots start w/ a 'B'...

ThatMNHockeyGuy62
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:55 am

CakeScout17 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:34 pm
Totally on his timeline.

And now that its been confirmed, and re-confirmed over the weekend that it IS hockey related...he must take his time to decide his future.

Stay or head south?

Both mascots start w/ a 'B'...
Bemidji State Beavers!

blueblood
Posts: 2291
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:36 am
Location: Tonka

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by blueblood » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:32 am

Bemidji is west of Duluth, not south.

B for Badgers or Buckeyes
Play Like a Champion Today

Post Reply