Rosters

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheNightman

Re: Rosters

Post by TheNightman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:30 pm

What's the story on this Kevin Delaney kid for Edina who has four goals in the first two games? He's listed as a senior; did he play JV last year?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:40 pm

JV, had the unbelievable fairly tale weekend of a lifetime. My question is whether any of the 3 suspended 2nd line seniors will be bumped down.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:51 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:40 pm
JV, had the unbelievable fairly tale weekend of a lifetime. My question is whether any of the 3 suspended 2nd line seniors will be bumped down.
Will they be back for the next game?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:17 pm

i think so, believe it was a 2 game rip

57special

Post by 57special » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Yeah, JV last year. Small, and not fast, or strong, but has great skills and hockey sense. Has had to work for everything. Was never on the top youth teams. A rink rat.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:40 pm

57special wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:27 pm
Yeah, JV last year. Small, and not fast, or strong, but has great skills and hockey sense. Has had to work for everything. Was never on the top youth teams. A rink rat.
Cool story, good for him.

CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:03 pm

KD a nice surprise over the weekend. Could be a trend or a mirage. Fun to watch his hustle and determination which seems to inspire others and is very much needed on Edina - just to turn that 'attitude' up a notch and really get after it with some 'grit'. KD wears #23 and initials are? Opposite of DK...last years' #23 so we can check the irony box. KD seemed like one of those kids you'd ask yourself why he wasn't called up last year a few times, but pretty stacked roster last year and word is bit of a late bloomer - but yeah, good for him and go after it young fella!

Edina rhythm definitely off and took a while to get the flow going due to the suspensions and early season. The way I understand it is the suspension option was '2 games or 2 weeks' - whichever is 'longer' - that defines the suspension. So, that would mean 2 weeks full suspension and MISSING this Thursday's BSM game at The 'Mar. Chorske, Shoemaker & Colby. Supposedly the penciled in 2nd line. But w/ rise of Delaney and still so early yet - all of that is subject to change esp assuming Giles makes them EARN back their penciled in spots.

At the Turkey Trot Edina dominated puck possession and total SOG over the weekend, approx 90 - 42! Total scores 8-4. But only netted a 1-0-1 record.
Maple Grove belongs in the top 10. No question. #7-10 without reservation. Much talent as they've lost they're STILL a good team. 3-4 pure scorers w/ 3 of them really standing out in the Kukkonens, Kostelecky and the younger Janicke who is a freshman! Add in tight D corp who pushes play to the outside and for good measure this goalie of theirs, sophomore Jack Wieneke should be on everyones 'watch list'. He made 3 saves that illicited 'oohs and ahhhs' from the crowd and shut down Malmquist and Nevers in the overtime shootout. Solid to say the least. Lastly, MG was impressive w/ their overall team speed. As fast or faster than Edina. Edina a different team this year. There won't be the running time, consistent blowouts of last year - not by any means...but again, that's ok. Better to learn from losses and really have to grind and earn it in the face of adversity and pressure so you're prepared for late Feb and early March. We shall see...

It will be tough to get a vibe on Edina until full roster gets 2-3 games under its belt, but it's promising. It's a top 5 team for sure, but #1 or #2? No.
Defensively, they are suffocating. Smooth and quick puck transition through the zones and aggressive offensively. Now, the forwards just need to catch up and once the young goalie calms down a bit they will be fine and fun to watch. Just not quite yet...but it will be a blast to watch!

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:38 pm

CakeScout17 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:03 pm
once the young goalie calms down a bit they will be fine and fun to watch
Your love affair continues.

I root for all the kids. I've seen him play VERY well. My question is, why not see what one of the not young goalies can do? I don't see why it is just assumed a sophomore transfer is the only answer in net for Edina this season.
Be kind. Rewind.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:01 pm

CakeScout17 wrote:
Chorske, Shoemaker & Colby. Supposedly the penciled in 2nd line. But w/ rise of Delaney and still so early yet - all of that is subject to change esp assuming Giles makes them EARN back their penciled in spots.
Chorske on the 2nd line? I’ll try my best to bite my tongue and not trash a HS kid, but I just can’t understand what Giles sees in him to merit that much ice time.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:01 pm
CakeScout17 wrote:
Chorske, Shoemaker & Colby. Supposedly the penciled in 2nd line. But w/ rise of Delaney and still so early yet - all of that is subject to change esp assuming Giles makes them EARN back their penciled in spots.
Chorske on the 2nd line? I’ll try my best to bite my tongue and not trash a HS kid, but I just can’t understand what Giles sees in him to merit that much ice time.
Colby is the only one of that group who seems like a sure second liner to me.

CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:32 am

O-townClown wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:38 pm
CakeScout17 wrote:
once the young goalie calms down a bit they will be fine and fun to watch
Your love affair continues.

I root for all the kids. I've seen him play VERY well. My question is, why not see what one of the not young goalies can do? I don't see why it is just assumed a sophomore transfer is the only answer in net for Edina this season.
I believe you will. Id be very surprised if Wolfe wasn't in goal this Thursday vs. BSM...
hopefully either way? My love affair will continue with objectivity sprinkled on top.

CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:34 am

Stang5280 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:01 pm
CakeScout17 wrote:
Hence, 'supposedly'...its early so many revises to come. Keep in mind when he was called up from JV late last year?
He was on 2nd line w/ LC and DK.

(but, I hear you - believe me).

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:50 pm

When will Stillwater Area post their roster?
Or, can someone share it if it is known?

57special

Post by 57special » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:28 pm

CakeScout17 wrote:
KD a nice surprise over the weekend. Could be a trend or a mirage. Fun to watch his hustle and determination which seems to inspire others and is very much needed on Edina - just to turn that 'attitude' up a notch and really get after it with some 'grit'. KD wears #23 and initials are? Opposite of DK...last years' #23 so we can check the irony box. KD seemed like one of those kids you'd ask yourself why he wasn't called up last year a few times, but pretty stacked roster last year and word is bit of a late bloomer - but yeah, good for him and go after it young fella!
Delaney was always magic on the ice, but never made the top youth teams. Was on the B2/B1 teams, and often outweighed by 50-100 lbs., yet still would find ways to score in front of the net and come out with the puck in board battles. He's had to work for everything- he's the exact opposite of an entitled hockey brat. I dunno if I'd call him a late bloomer...his skill and imagination always stuck out, to me.
Last edited by 57special on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:03 pm

57special wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:28 pm
CakeScout17 wrote:
Delaney was always magic on the ice, but never made the top youth teams. Was on the B2/B1 teams, and often outweighed by 50-10 lbs., yet still would find ways to score in front of the net and come out with the puck in board battles. He's had to work for everything- he's the exact opposite of an entitled hockey brat. I dunno if I'd call him a late bloomer...his skill and imagination always stuck out, to me.
No idea who this kid is, but that description makes me want to pull for him to have a great season!

CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:43 pm

Delaney hustled all game again versus BSM (Thurs nite, 11/29) in an otherwise very 'meh' game as he scored early in the 2nd period - SHORTHANDED no less! He's officially my new fave Hornet. If some of the boys follow his lead and hustle that will help as they sure need some spark through the ranks.
Yes, I know they won 5-2 but just something missing overall. Delaney fun to watch and easily sticks out. But I'll stick w the 'late bloomer' tag.

Edina goalie, Louden Hogg has the skills and confidence, but seems to travel outside the crease a bit too much...after he settles a bit he needs to simply anchor himself and get back to that butterfly slide (when necessary) and he will be solid as they come - if not? Then it WILL be THE weakness that Edina battles all season. By the way, Hogg is officially the #1 goalie w/ Wolfe serving as backup.

The suspended players were back on the ice but were not a unique line onto themselves...in fact, after going up 3-0 late in the first period the lines jumbled and it appeared to be a deep look-see at lineups, chemistry and maybe 1-2 kids go down and 1-2 come up from JV? I liked some of the back-checking grit provided by #15 jr. Luke Ruegemer - likewise, I think #16, jr. Emmett Wurst deserves bit longer of a look. This is a very different Edina team from last year and one that may not find its niche/rhythm until after the 2 upcoming holiday tourneys. One other note - looked as if Borst was more comfortable as he had a few shots on goal and scored a nice wrister from 25 ft out on the wing on a dime dropped by Nevers. IF Borst can provide some depth scoring? things will get very interesting and entertaining for this squad. Im venturing to guess BV will pack it in the middle and pinch all game long Sat afternoon (12/1) so could be tougher battle than people think? TBD...

3rd period lines - which seemed to hold the entire period;

Delaney / Never / Boast
Jungels / Morton / Malmquist
Colby / Shoemaker / Chorske
Cavanagh / Wurst / Ruegemer

6AAGuy

Post by 6AAGuy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Hornets defintely displayed some speed, but I thought the game reflected very little of the "sizzle" from past teams. Frankly, I expected more from this group, given that they are mostly seniors, have a heavy list of "star power" both at F and D, and the vast majority of the kids have played together for nearly their entire careers. Ikola always tried to peak come playoff time, and Giles likes that as well. So I'd expect them to bring that momentum through the year. But I did expect to see more "shock and awe" from them. Given what's coming up the pipeline for them talent-wise, they need to really make hay this year...

To BSM credit the team was just picked, they had one game under their belt, and basically none of the kids have played together, ever. They withstood a first period storm (and potential route), then came out and skated with the Hornets for the remaining 2/3 of the game.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:09 pm

6AAGuy wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:58 pm
Given what's coming up the pipeline for them talent-wise, they need to really make hay this year...
Certainly the widely held belief. Worth pointing out the Pee Wees and Bantams won in Duluth this weekend so maybe the fears are overblown. Pee Wee players Madden, Silianoff, Tabor, etc... didn't make big contributions for the Hornet Varsity because of other plans. There could be enough to keep things on track even if it isn't must-see tv with boatloads of Division I commitments.
Be kind. Rewind.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Isn't their bantam AA team ranked #1 in the state right now? I think there's certainly a gap in talent with their current junior and sophomore classes compared to what they usually have but they should have reinforcements pretty soon.

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:58 pm

57special wrote:
CakeScout17 wrote:
Delaney was always magic on the ice, but never made the top youth teams. Was on the B2/B1 teams, and often outweighed by 50-100 lbs., yet still would find ways to score in front of the net and come out with the puck in board battles. He's had to work for everything- he's the exact opposite of an entitled hockey brat. I dunno if I'd call him a late bloomer...his skill and imagination always stuck out, to me.
Anyone know the name of Delaney's dad??

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 am

Mookie

57special

Post by 57special » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:30 pm

wbmd wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:58 pm
57special wrote:
CakeScout17 wrote:
Anyone know the name of Delaney's dad??
Why?

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Which currently rated top 4 team in MN HS AA has fewest college commits?
Only 2 for this team.
HMMM-
Would this change if they go to state?
Does team/program pedigree really matter?

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:28 am

muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:58 pm
Only 2 for this team.
HMMM-
1 Tonka - 4 commits
I think going to state will add maybe 1 more commit.

2 Edina - 5 Commits
Again, I think going to state will add maybe 1 more commit.

3 Andover - 2 Commits
This is where it gets tricky because only DE on Andover gets to go, unlike above where both can, and have made it, the same year.
I think going to state for these guys would add at least 2 if not more commits. This team has never been to state with these kids, so it will be a great experience for them, and a great opportunity for some big spotlight visibility.

4 Duluth East - 0 commits
I would really hope state would give them some commits. Not sure what is going on with Donovan, but they have too many good seniors and juniors to not get at least 1 out of a trip. But at the same time, they only added 1 commit after last years championship run, and it was Worth who seems to be in a weird spot right now.

5 St. Thomas - 1 commit
Again, with a lower number of commits, a trip to state would be beneficial, but I think they would need a run towards the championship to have the most effect.

6 Maple Grove - 5 commits

I added STA and Maple Grove because I think they should be tied with DE rankings-wise, and they have good numbers for this discussion.

I don't think the pedigree of a team effects this, but visibility is key. STA is confusing why they have such a low number, but DE makes a bit more sense. The best time to scout anybody near Duluth is when a team is playing UMD, or when they travel down to the cities. UMD seems to like Hermantown players, and it makes sense as Sandelin lives in HT and his kids played there. It means that DE kids need to go elsewhere for the time being, but maybe that will change, who knows. I think Andover has the most room to grow in this category though. A relatively new face to the state discussion, and as they keep making noise, they will only grow their visibility and experience.

BP

Post by BP » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 am

That guy for that thing wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:28 am
muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:58 pm
Only 2 for this team.
HMMM-
1 Tonka - 4 commits
I think going to state will add maybe 1 more commit.

2 Edina - 5 Commits

3 Andover - 2 Commits
This is where it gets tricky because only DE on Andover gets to go, unlike above where both can, and have made it, the same year.
I think going to state for these guys would add at least 2 if not more commits. This team has never been to state with these kids, so it will be a great experience for them, and a great opportunity for some big spotlight visibility.

4 Duluth East - 0 commits
I would really hope state would give them some commits. Not sure what is going on with Donovan, but they have too many good seniors and juniors to not get at least 1 out of a trip. But at the same time, they only added 1 commit after last years championship run, and it was Worth who seems to be in a weird spot right now.

5 St. Thomas - 1 commit
Again, with a lower number of commits, a trip to state would be beneficial, but I think they would need a run towards the championship to have the most effect.

6 Maple Grove - 5 commits

I added STA and Maple Grove because I think they should be tied with DE rankings-wise, and they have good numbers for this discussion.

I don't think the pedigree of a team effects this, but visibility is key. STA is confusing why they have such a low number, but DE makes a bit more sense. The best time to scout anybody near Duluth is when a team is playing UMD, or when they travel down to the cities. UMD seems to like Hermantown players, and it makes sense as Sandelin lives in HT and his kids played there. It means that DE kids need to go elsewhere for the time being, but maybe that will change, who knows. I think Andover has the most room to grow in this category though. A relatively new face to the state discussion, and as they keep making noise, they will only grow their visibility and experience.

Does it help going to state for some kids - yes. But these top teams have scouts/coaches at a ton of games all year long and have a ton of exposure. It helps the smaller teams who have lesser viewings - like a lot of the A teams.