Bullying at Hill Murray?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95

Bullying at Hill Murray?

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:36 am

Interesting Article. Seems like a lot of kids have been able to gain eligibility after a transfer in the last few years.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/e ... -teammates

greenwayraider

Re: Bullying at Hill Murray?

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:29 am

To me this is a very legitimate reason. If you have had a child who has had to live with bullying you know how devastating it can be to that child.

CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD

Post by CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:17 am

Both of my kids transferred out of HM with a significant contributing reason being the conduct of their peers. While we don't necessarily characterize their experience as bullying, although certain aspects could be. One such example, they were both frequently ridiculed by peers for working in the custodial department to help offset tuition costs. Eventually, both quit working to avoid the criticism before deciding to transfer.

They just did not care for much of the behavior. Thus they exercised their choice not to continue there and went where they would be happier.

Neither had an eligibility issue as one transferred mid-9th grade and the other after 8th grade.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:42 am

Sad that kids would get ridiculed for working for their tuition. I don't think I've ever heard anything positive about the culture at Hill Murray, unfortunately. On the bright side, it makes it more fun to cheer against them.

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:17 am

I sent 3 kids to Hill-Murray. It's a great place. Mostly great teachers, families and kids. There are lots of less than wealthy families (like mine) there that get financial assistance and have kids do a version of work-study. I'm sorry for the young man was harassed for working for tuition help. There is bullying everywhere that teenagers gather. HM is no worse and probably better than most other schools. I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in between his and the school's version of truth for this young hockey player. He certainly has motivation to exaggerate so he can gain eligibility at Gentry. I can guarantee you that Bill Lechner does not tolerate bad behavior in his program. If you haven't heard anything positive about the culture at Hill-Murray you are not trying.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:45 pm

I wouldn’t believe an administrator in a situation like this. Most are only interested in protecting the school. I believe the parents 100%. If you don’t think who you are plays a role in how you are treated you are naive. Your inference that he would exaggerate the bullying is disgusting. Your total lack of knowledge on bullying is evident. I suggest you do some research on bullying and suicide and then you make take it more seriously. I guess we can excuse Hill-Murray because they are no better or no worse.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:52 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:45 pm
I wouldn’t believe an administrator in a situation like this. Most are only interested in protecting the school. I believe the parents 100%.
Greenway, valid point about the administrator. As far as parents, I'm not so sure. I processed transfers for our USA Hockey affiliate a few seasons and the rule was written where players had to sit out 30 days...unless an exception applied.

The result was that every family felt one of these applied to them and craned their neck to look at it a certain way.

If player transfers in Minnesota HS make an exception for bullying, betcha that when people put in a request they'll cite bullying as a way to qualify.

I have no idea what happened in this case. The article lacks details. Wishing the kid all the best at Gentry and let's hope bullying does not occur at HIll-Murray or any other school.
Be kind. Rewind.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:07 pm

I agree just writing bullying as a reason is not legit. That does not change my thoughts. I don’t believe for a minute that this family made up these accusations. Those applications that are phony will be easy to spot and a little investigation will prove it. The transfer rules are a joke anyway. The way kids move around proves it (including my beloved Greenway).

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:24 am

Listen I strongly discourage any remote sign of bullying and certainly hope all parties involved can find peace and closure on this quickly

It's a slippery slope between kids getting teased, older kids making young kids earn their stripes and outright bullying. I can think of at least a dozen times my kid came home, told me a story about what happened in a locker room and if I really really really wanted to, I could twist this into some form of bullying.

With that. What's to say any parent today who finds their kid not getting the shifts they demand, pulling out the bully card? All they have to do is lawyer up, MSHSL will fold and boom the kid can transfer with no penalty

Again, I'm not talking specifically about this situation because it's the first I've heard the story. But in the future, could we see parents pull out the bully card every single time they want their kid to transfer? Stand by MSHSL, you may be asking your HR department to triple your staff of lawyers.

Bullying is real, it's scary and yes kids commit suicide as a result of it. I certainly hope parents in the future don't use it as a way of making excuses for their kids lack of ice time. It severely lessons what happens to so many kids who are actually a victim of bullying

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:33 am

Very tough subject that shouldn't be completely ignored. I agree with "yesIplayed"s comments. It hurts me to hear any bullying claims related to high school sports. The last bullying incident I heard that directly impacted high school hockey involved EP and an outrageous claim by parents of an NHL defensemen. It's a slippery road that can be hard to interpret.

Fortunately or unfortunately the old days are done as to anything that resembles good natured hazing and not so good natured activities. One could argue that any coach that raises his voice is bullying an athlete. How it is used to get around transfer rules is down right disgusting. GB

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:17 pm

My take is that no institution wants publicity like this. This story lead the local TV news the other night. That is not a good look for H-M, no matter what. For the administration to dig in it's heels and oppose the transfer eligibility tells me either; A) They've investigated the claims and do not believe them to be true and don't want to be labeled with the "bullying school" tag so much so they are willing to fight this out in public, or B) The administration is full of complete idiots to let this get to the point that the story leads the local TV news when they could have just signed off on the transfer right away and kept a lid on the story.

I guess the resolution was that the eligibility has been restored but the parents intend to continue with the lawsuit. I'm really trying to figure out why they would do that. Either H-M completely botched this up or the parents just want a pound of flesh out of H-M.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:40 pm

SCBlueLiner wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:17 pm
Either H-M completely botched this up or the parents just want a pound of flesh out of H-M.
Or both...

stpaul

Post by stpaul » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:08 pm

The administration at HM is not "full of complete idiots" and did not "completely botch this". First of all "the administration" at HM is Jim Hansen, Erin Herman and Bill Lechner. Erin Herman is now the Principal. She has been the Girls BB Coach for 25+ years. She has been an Asst Principal and Activities Director in the past. Bill Lechner has been the AD and Hockey Coach for 22 years. He had an earlier stint there in the 80s on staff and as Asst. Hockey Coach. He was the Baseball Coach for about 15 years. Jim Hansen has done a fabulous job running that place as the School's President. He is an HM grad. All 3 work have worked countless hours and for decades at that school and are beloved by the kids, and their parents, that have played for them over the years. The improvements in that school physically, academically and otherwise over the past 10-15 years are staggering and these 3 are primarily responsible. Their religious traditions and service to others are big a part of all aspects of HM.

As far as this case is concerned they admit that bullying took place. They did a thorough investigation by interviewing upwards of 20 people. They reported it to Maplewood Police. They involved their board members. They did not block the kid's eligibility at his new school. They refused to sign a letter prepared by the family to the MSHSL that they believe was inaccurate. When asked by the MSHSL, they agreed that he should be eligible right away. They dealt with the players involved. They disagree with the severity that the family portraits. They are bound by confidentiality rules to not discuss publically about any of this so we only get one side of the story. When HM says they held the kids responsible I believe them. I've seen first hand over the years what happens there when kids don't follow rules or behave badly. Remember that Bill Lechner gave up what was the top contender for a repeat State Championship team in 2009 by dismissing 4 seniors at mid-season. 3 of those 4 were the 3 leading scorers on that team. At the time HM didn't have to do that and most other schools would not have. He held his team and senior players to a higher standard and he still does.
Last edited by stpaul on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:45 pm

St. Paul - thanks for your contribution to clarify what did and didn't happen here. Very much appreciated.

Yes - agree this isn't a place for political banter, but PLEASE DO NOT suggest Facebook is either! Good grief I'm amazed how many people want to post crap there about elected officials, parties, policy, and the like. Facebook would be a great place to keep up with people you don't see very often. It used to be.
Be kind. Rewind.

KCharger1

Post by KCharger1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:19 pm

So "St. Paul" works for the school or has friends/family there... and gives a very good account from the SCHOOL'S perspective... there are TWO sides to these stories. I happen to know a little too. Several complaints over the past few years...so when the school settles this...and they'll say it's because they didn't want to incur lawyers fees... don't believe it. Wouldn't send my kids there until there are changes..starting with the head coach.