7A - Thoughts

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Northernlakes

Re: 7A - Thoughts

Post by Northernlakes » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:29 pm

Hermantown, Greenway, Eveleth, VMIB.......... can this be the top 4?

Can Denfeld play into the top 4? Is I-Falls very much behind ?

North Shore, Proctor, Hibbing and Ely fighting for a respect.

Section 7A like it should be.......... If the sandbaggers were where they should be this would be a great battle......... I suspect Hermantown has no cakewalk. At some point they will be punched in the mouth by a 7A team........ Cannot wait to see what team can pull it off.

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Northernlakes wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:29 pm

Section 7A like it should be.......... If the sandbaggers were where they should be this would be a great battle......... I suspect Hermantown has no cakewalk. At some point they will be punched in the mouth by a 7A team........ Cannot wait to see what team can pull it off.
7A a lot more interesting this year than 7AA. Virginia and Hermantown are going to be extremely difficult games for the Lumberjacks.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:42 am

kniven wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:17 pm
Northernlakes wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:29 pm

7A a lot more interesting this year than 7AA. Virginia and Hermantown are going to be extremely difficult games for the Lumberjacks.
Virginia travels to Rapidly Declining tonight. Bragging rights for 7A vs 7AA on the line. VMIB by 2? Rapidly by 1 if Carter seals the net?
Could see rapidly declining pulling this one out with a shutout performance by their junior goaltender. Rapids should return to the IR conference in 2020.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:49 am

Very interesting game. Rapids is better than last year and Virginia is not playing at Miners Memorial. They barely squeaked by the Falls on Saturday. This is another opportunity for Virginia to prove they can be a good team in some place other than Miners Memorial.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:14 am

greenwayraider wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:49 am
Very interesting game. Rapids is better than last year and Virginia is not playing at Miners Memorial. They barely squeaked by the Falls on Saturday. This is another opportunity for Virginia to prove they can be a good team in some place other than Miners Memorial.
Agreed you got to win on the road if you are a good team. VMIB has yet to prove they can win games outside home.
Not convinced just yet on rapids improvement. They stand 0-3 with a shot to take the next 3 (VMIB, Roseau, Warroad).
As it stands right now (through 3 games) Rapids is no better than 2018 team. Time to see some improvement starts tonight for both teams.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:04 am

Unacceptable loss by Greenway last night 4-3 OT to Denfeld.

Rapids - VMIB about where expected with the tight 4-3 game.
Rapidly Declining on pace for another 8 win season. Where is the improvement?
Expected Virginia to be the deeper team in the matchup but still cannot win on the road.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:40 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:04 am

Expected Virginia to be the deeper team in the matchup but still cannot win on the road.
Yeah, tough loss for Greenway. Denfeld goalie stops 50/53 shots, great effort.

Virginia made it a one goal game in the 3rd after being down 4-0. One has to think Kreibich will be the starting goalie for the foreseeable future.

The most interesting result from last night is Eveleth's 5-0 dismantling of I-Falls on the road. Bears outshoot Broncos 51-17. :shock:
I think this puts Eveleth firmly at #3 in 7A now. Eveleth hosts Virginia 12/15 and then Greenway on 12/18; the Hippodrome should be stuffed for both of those games. Hopefully both will be carried by Mesabi Community TV.

Northernlakes

Post by Northernlakes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:53 am

By northwoods oldtimer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:04 pm

" Unacceptable loss by Greenway last night 4-3 OT to Denfeld."

Northwoods oldtimer, were you at the game?

Hessian

Post by Hessian » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:58 pm

The word in Greenway some early strife between
the newcomers and returned players. Lots of geographical challenges. :o

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:44 pm

I am not going to touch on whether or not that game went as it should have, but I think that people on here don't have the greatest opinions on Denfeld. Denfeld is definitely in the shadow of bigger brother DE, and awkward, bigger than his age, cousin Hermantown. They still have a really good group of seniors, with Zach DeCaro, Payton Budaisalovich, and Jacob Eskola leading the way goals wise. Kade Shea is a Sophomore and 3rd in points. Both goalies have played well, with .900+ save%, splitting time, and neither is a senior.

Back in the late 2000's and early 2010's Denfeld was pretty decent, beating East and DM occasionally, and making numerous Section Championships, granted sometimes in 5A and others in 7A. This year they have a ton of seniors, but the team is starting to Bud, and I think that Dale Jago can bring this team back to relevancy. Section 7A is stacked this year, with Hermantown, Greenway, Eveleth, Virginia, AND Denfeld. It will not be easy for any team to make State from this group, and it very well could be without Hermantown and, or Greenway in the section Final.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:37 pm

That guy for that thing wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:44 pm
I am not going to touch on whether or not that game went as it should have, but I think that people on here don't have the greatest opinions on Denfeld. Denfeld is definitely in the shadow of bigger brother DE, and awkward, bigger than his age, cousin Hermantown. They still have a really good group of seniors, with Zach DeCaro, Payton Budaisalovich, and Jacob Eskola leading the way goals wise. Kade Shea is a Sophomore and 3rd in points. Both goalies have played well, with .900+ save%, splitting time, and neither is a senior.

Back in the late 2000's and early 2010's Denfeld was pretty decent, beating East and DM occasionally, and making numerous Section Championships, granted sometimes in 5A and others in 7A. This year they have a ton of seniors, but the team is starting to Bud, and I think that Dale Jago can bring this team back to relevancy. Section 7A is stacked this year, with Hermantown, Greenway, Eveleth, Virginia, AND Denfeld. It will not be easy for any team to make State from this group, and it very well could be without Hermantown and, or Greenway in the section Final.
Does Duluth Denfeld have a junior varsity squad this year? They have not the last couple of years...

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:34 pm

kniven wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:37 pm
That guy for that thing wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Does Duluth Denfeld have a junior varsity squad this year? They have not the last couple of years...
Looks like it.

https://lakesuperiorconference.org/publ ... /school/2/

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Northernlakes wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:53 am

No, did not make the game. "Unacceptable" is not critical of either team which played last night. The loss for Greenway when you are prognosticated to be top 5 in single A (preseason) is a tough loss, but that is why they play the games.
Greenway will have to learn how to rise above every tough team in the section trying to knock them off. The target is on Greenway's back which is indeed very tough to rise above the level of play that each top team will deliver in section 7A. Plus there is very high expectations in Greenway which is not easy to overcome. Had no idea Denfeld was good in 2019. You just have not heard much from the program in a long time. Nice to see them back and along with Eveleth this will be very tough battle tested section come playoffs. With 7AA way down this year it is perfect timing!! Glad to see the section is deep in 2019. It will sure make winter in the northland interesting.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:24 pm
Northernlakes wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:53 am

No, did not make the game. "Unacceptable" is not critical of either team which played last night. The loss for Greenway when you are prognosticated to be top 5 in single A (preseason) is a tough loss, but that is why they play the games.
Greenway will have to learn how to rise above every tough team in the section trying to knock them off. The target is on Greenway's back which is indeed very tough to rise above the level of play that each top team will deliver in section 7A. Plus there is very high expectations in Greenway which is not easy to overcome. Had no idea Denfeld was good in 2019. You just have not heard much from the program in a long time. Nice to see them back and along with Eveleth this will be very tough battle tested section come playoffs. With 7AA way down this year it is perfect timing!! Glad to see the section is deep in 2019. It will sure make winter in the northland interesting.
Yes. 7AA is a dumpster fire compared to 7A. If these sections played each other 1-8, I argue 7A would win more games.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Very disappointing game. Lot of what you say is spot on kniven. Greenway played poorly in their own end and Denfeld has a couple of good forwards on their first line. The goalie made an incredible save on a lone break by Lawson. Greenway must play their third line if they are going to challenge foe the Section title. There just isn’t the right “feel” about this team as last year’s. Don’t see Denfeld as big of a threat as Eveleth or Virginia so more of a five seed. The way Greenway is playing I don’t see them winning either game (Cathedral and EGF) this weekend. Btw what was the A.D. and coach thinking when they schedule a 7:30 Friday game and then a 200 mile trip for a 3:00 game on Saturday?

Northernlakes

Post by Northernlakes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Greenway raider........ Sounds like your thinking Denfeld is a 5 seed.
Lots of hockey left, maybe, just maybe Denfeld can prove themselves on the ice.
Good luck to them this year!

They seem to play hard and opportunistic, and yes the sophomore goalie stole that game, but Denfeld pushed hard late in the third and did not give in.
They deserved what they got.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Northernlakes wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:22 pm
Greenway raider........ Sounds like your thinking Denfeld is a 5 seed.
Lots of hockey left, maybe, just maybe Denfeld can prove themselves on the ice.
Good luck to them this year!

They seem to play hard and opportunistic, and yes the sophomore goalie stole that game, but Denfeld pushed hard late in the third and did not give in.
They deserved what they got.
Totally agree. Denfeld deserved to win.

MNGuide

Post by MNGuide » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:32 pm

Denfelds program has been down for the last three years, but lets not forget they were a Top 10 A team from 2012-2015. They also have a really good group of Bantams coming up (assuming all stick with Denfeld), one of the top in the state for Bantam A.

I'm a Duluth homer, but I think Denfeld looks to be a top 4 team in 7a this year with Eveleth looking at 5. Denfeld has a pretty strong top two lines and a strong goaltender which will make them a tough opponent vs anybody. Denfeld vs Virginia next Tuesday will be a huge game!

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:05 pm

I believe Rapids to be a different team this year. They are playing a nice transition game and keeping the SOG fairly even. Goaltending is still very good, even without Holum.(whom I considered as good as any I have seen) They are definitely improved from last year.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:05 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:05 pm

I believe Rapids to be a different team this year. They are playing a nice transition game and keeping the SOG fairly even. Goaltending is still very good, even without Holum.(whom I considered as good as any I have seen) They are definitely improved from last year.
Agreed

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:21 am

MNGuide wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:32 pm
Denfelds program has been down for the last three years, but lets not forget they were a Top 10 A team from 2012-2015. They also have a really good group of Bantams coming up (assuming all stick with Denfeld), one of the top in the state for Bantam A.
Their Bantam group is right there with Hermantown at the top of all the 7A High Schools. They are significantly better than East. Unfortunately, you can't make that assumption, as there are several Marshall kids on that team. Their top 3 players will be at Denfeld though, and they are VERY good.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:21 am
MNGuide wrote:
Their Bantam group is right there with Hermantown at the top of all the 7A High Schools. They are significantly better than East. Unfortunately, you can't make that assumption, as there are several Marshall kids on that team. Their top 3 players will be at Denfeld though, and they are VERY good.
Compared to DEast AA or A team?

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:44 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:07 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:21 am
MNGuide wrote:
Compared to DEast AA or A team?
AA. They scrimmaged earlier this year and Denfeld beat them by 6-7 goals if I recall correctly. Granted, Randolph took an 8th grader and two 9th graders.

The only competitive A game Denfeld has played was with Warroad. They play quite a few AA teams. According to YHH, their last 4 games were against Metro AA teams. They lost to Centennial and Eden Prairie, beat Andover and tied Stillwater.

Their top two kids are twins who have literally been playing together their whole lives. :) I had a chance to watch them play this year and they are scary good. Older brother went to Marshall but transferred back to Denfeld his Senior year. These two are 9th graders at Denfeld so have to assume that's where they stay. They have an elite 8th grader that will stay at Denfeld as well, so something to build around in the future.
Last edited by Jeffy95 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Duluth East’s BantamAA Team is a feeder to high school, and that’s about it. Since I’ve been around, Randolph commonly brings 2,3, or 4 up to high school every year. I assume Duluth Eas could care less how the Bantam team does. It would be nice, very nice to see those 3 boys stay at Denfeld, but that’s difficult to believe they will. Hermantown HS hockey is the proffered feeder program to UMD.

Northernlakes

Post by Northernlakes » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Those Denfeld kids will not leave the program. Fact.
Yes sir.