Any Centennial Curmudgeons on here? (Lucas McGregor)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

612hockeytown

Any Centennial Curmudgeons on here? (Lucas McGregor)

Post by 612hockeytown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Heard from another Blaine parent “who is always in the know” - that Lucas McGregor was decommitted by the U and later (related or not) quit hockey. He is longer rostered in the USHL or anywhere for that matter.

Became as fan even has he killed my Bengals the last few years. Really not liking the U if he was deco’d within 8 months of the commitment. BS. Lots of sour taste in my mouth if it’s all true!!

If it’s bs and false - Karl feel free to delete.

O-townClown

Re: Any Centennial Curmudgeons on here? (Lucas McGregor)

Post by O-townClown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:55 pm

There's a kid that shouldn't be quitting hockey! Such a good player. If the love is lost that's really too bad. Very impressive on the ice.
Be kind. Rewind.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm

That parent also said that the U decommitted somewhere along the lines of 8 to 10 kids in the last month. Many local kids including a MG kid and Willmar kid. Not naming any names I heard, but do the math. The weird part about Lucas-was it wasn’t like he committed when he was 13-it was after high school ended!!
Last edited by 612hockeytown on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:55 pm
There's a kid that shouldn't be quitting hockey! Such a good player. If the love is lost that's really too bad. Very impressive on the ice.
Agreed 100%. I know kids sometimes lose the passion and move on, but didn’t seem like the case in March.

CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Bummer if he has lost passion for the sport and moved on as there was definite promise for his future.
However, be prepared for a lot of these 'U commits' to be encouraged to' pursue their interests elsewhere'. As much as Motzko and staff are recruiting, attending a ton of games, etc. they are also really studying all these 'commits' who did so under the Lucia regime. It's a new deal, system with new goals and under even more pressure to turn the program around, sell tickets, etc. Oral commitments are just that - either party can back out at ANY time.
Sounds great, but until that NLI is signed and the school accepts it. It's just warm & fuzzy internet fodder.

We all know the U has a 2-3 year, at minimum, rebuild in front of it. Talented as the newbies are, you can't simply recruit from the Lake Conference and grab the top local metro kids and succeed. Especially when they are STILL TEENAGERS and skating against 22, 23 and handfuls of 24 year olds! It just doesn't work. It has to be a blend of local talent that is READY for top 20, D1 hockey mixed w/ a national & Int'l (?) recruiting base.
For every Sammy Walker or Blake Mclaughlin you need 1-2 kids from MooseJaw, Red Deer, Penticton or what have you that are hungry, grinders 'still trying to make it' to the NHL, moreover some kids just develop later. On the flip side one of the Ohio St scorers will turn 25 in February! My God. Really?

At least, that's my opinion. I don't know much, but come crunch time you have to be able to grind first AND THEN sprinkle in the speed and scoring skill. Motzko is just doing his job. Ascertaining who fits into his system moving forward. Half the commits still will fit, but a lot surely won't. (I still cant digest 7 Edina kids at the U when only 3, maybe a 4th, appear viable as D1 players...? Lucia seemed to only be recruiting Lake Conf last few years. Neat, but not going to cut it...).

Best wishes to LM moving forward either way. But I do think more of this to come...

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:56 pm

Cake, you just articulated why coaching college hockey is so difficult. 25 years old is not unusual when teams let kids run to the end of the Junior eligibility before arriving on campus.

I am on record for saying the U of M Gopher "fans" are the worst anywhere for any sport. They have a moving target of complaints. Minnesota kids do anything elsewhere? Coach needs to land the top Minnesota kids. Land a top player when they are young? Coach shouldn't be recruiting 15 year olds. Get a player from California or Arizona? Coach shouldn't have to go there when there are so many kids right here.

Lucia being sacked for a guy who will run into the same challenges is like "fans" clamoring for Juergen Klinsmann for 5 years and then pouncing on him once he had the job. Nothing short of a National Championship appeases some of these folks.

Worth noting that the defending champions had one of the shortest lists of committed players in May. You can find kids playing provincial Junior and NAHL that are ready to go and render a pipeline full of two 16U Midget teams like Wisconsin had meaningless.

I wish Bob Motzko well. I follow the Gophers win or lose and respect these guys for putting in the effort. A hard and thankless job most of the time.
Be kind. Rewind.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:59 pm

Solid take Cake. I agree on all points in a sense (with head coaching change comes deco’s). It just sucks for the kid and you feel bad. If he was 13, then it might make sense? This is still fresh and happened just before the coaching change. I also agree some of the Hornets could be on that list or coming. Lots of talent there! But U talent and D1 talent aren’t synonymous to Motzko right now.

I’ve seen 4 NAHL kids leave via Twitter in the last few week. Leaving straight for their respective college teams (attending the second semester). Lots of grit with these players (and skill) - but the path to D1 is different for every kid.

Maybe this will slow the early commits? Lol who am I kidding :lol:

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:05 pm

612hockeytown wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:59 pm
My take is that committing 15 year olds is lazy recruiting. Put in a little work to get 5 verbals each year and then wait 4-5 years for them to arrive on campus. The next year you are getting another handful of guys before it gets real hard.

I spoke to a Division I coach about the battle for Mark Cheremeta. He was a little later to hit the radar, but dozens of schools wanted him and only BU got the player so many thought could arrive on campus and play right away. Going down to the wire on a team of guys like that is a lot more work and a lot more risk. I can see why schools that can often choose the easier route.
Be kind. Rewind.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:48 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:05 pm
612hockeytown wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:59 pm
My take is that committing 15 year olds is lazy recruiting. Put in a little work to get 5 verbals each year and then wait 4-5 years for them to arrive on campus. The next year you are getting another handful of guys before it gets real hard.
Or never even make it to campus in many cases. Over-recruiting is rampant in college hockey (even at the D3 level), and as you point out it is easier to just grab a bunch of lottery tickets while they are still young, then see who actually pans out. The remaining players can languish in juniors and fight for roster spots on lower-tier D1 or D3 programs.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:18 pm

I have a bone to pick with Motzko as a scorned SCSU fan, but many of my fellow Huskies are personally friends with Motzko and like him as a person. Regardless, he's ditching players who grew up dreaming of playing for the Gophers and replacing them with players who he talked out of their original commitments. He WASN'T loyal to his alma mater, he convinced several players NOT to be loyal to their commitments, and is ditching players who WERE loyal to the Gophers. It certainly appears as though loyalty is not one of Motzko's dominant attributes. That could make a huge difference in the long term success of the Gophers program.

CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:24 pm

Yeah, agreed - in as much as there IS a strategy to garnering all the 'early oral commits as possible', its just lazy recruiting - proven by when it's from such a small base as the west suburbs and primary from one conference these last couple of years. But that's why he's out and new guy in. No question.
Last time McGregor was in lineup w/ SFS looks to be mid Nov...looks like 11/15? Since then? Nothing. Yet, he IS still listed on their roster on the SFS website...? But sounds like things have changed. Good luck to the young man.

The only other item I'll offer up that should make people feel (a bit) better about future of Gopher puck?
While attending games - I've seen Motzko more in the last 2 weeks than Lucia the last 2 years!

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:28 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:18 pm
It certainly appears as though loyalty is not one of Motzko's dominant attributes.
He can't win this one. He and Garrett Pinoniemi are loyal to each other, the kid flips his commit, and somehow he isn't loyal because he may not want kids who gave a verbal to the previous coaching staff?

Like it or not this is how college hockey works. April of 2015 it was considered a huge get when Jaxon Nelson from Luverne chose the U of M and they chose him. I have no idea if he arrives on campus or not, but when your subsequent three seasons seem to indicate little progress the end result is that Division I coaches often change their mind. We can call it loyalty, or just accept it as part of the job.
Be kind. Rewind.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:30 pm

612hockeytown wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm
That parent also said that the U decommitted somewhere along the lines of 8 to 10 kids in the last month.
8 to 10? Really?

Exiled -

Was his loyalty questioned before he left SCSU? If not why should it be considered a long term issue? Fact is he inherited a terrible roster and some recruits that don't fit his coaching needs and he has every right to try and improve the situation. If he's bailing on recruits 2 years from now then maybe there is something to that, but until then you do come off more scorned than logical.
Last edited by Slap Shot on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:33 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:28 pm
He can't win this one.
As they say in the classic '80s movie War Games, "the only winning move is not to play."

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:35 pm

You can call bs all you want. When the mouth that speaks has had kids play there and a son committed there - I’d say there’s credibility. 3 of the kids is all but been confirmed.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:36 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:33 pm
O-townClown wrote:
He can't win this one.
As they say in the classic '80s movie War Games, "the only winning move is not to play."
I won't be the guy taking shots at those faced with issues endemic to the profession.
Be kind. Rewind.

ifallsin64

Post by ifallsin64 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:17 pm

Bottom line is Motzko is different than Lucia and has different ideas about what kind of players will be successful at the U. It’s his program now and he wants change in the kind of players the gophs have been getting in the past.

It sucks for the players and parents who thought they would be future gophers but maybe now they will get to play in front of a big crowd and in a great environment.

Just my opinion...

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Well said Falls!

I will also agree that McGregor should be able to land on his feet and play at a different D1 college.

Another comment- Lucia built up too many rostered and pipelined kids from the same (unspecified) youth and high school program, which makes a different college coaching approach and integrated team building mindset more difficult IMHO

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:55 pm

No idea with McGregor, but to Motzko's defense, some are not hockey related.

Hopefully McGregor recharges and comes back.. too talented to not.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:01 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:55 pm
Hopefully McGregor recharges and comes back.. too talented to not.
Bo, I was thinking about it this afternoon. I'm seeing what you see. He played a game Nov. 16th in the USHL. If a USHL team dropped him and his college commitment fell through there would be a quick bounceback. He didn't play hockey for 15 years and get this good to play intramurals or fast-track becoming an auto mechanic.
Be kind. Rewind.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:04 am

My guess is that McGregor is out with an injury.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 am

O-townClown wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:36 pm
The Exiled One wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:33 pm
O-townClown wrote:
He can't win this one.
I won't be the guy taking shots at those faced with issues endemic to the profession.
Otown raises the average IQ of this 'bored' by more than a bit.

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:25 am

McGregor was going to be traded from Sioux Falls. He didn't like that option so he quit. Literally packed up and quit on the spot and said he's done playing hockey. This all happened before anything was pulled by the U. How do i know? I have a relative that plays on the team that knows him. Junior hockey is a hard life. Sioux Falls is likely one of the better places to play as far as experiences for the boys. They get 10,000 fans each night. The Stampede are a big deal down there. To from there to some of the other teams can be a letdown regardless of wins/losses.

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:37 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:30 pm
612hockeytown wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm
That parent also said that the U decommitted somewhere along the lines of 8 to 10 kids in the last month.
8 to 10? Really?

Exiled -

Was his loyalty questioned before he left SCSU? If not why should it be considered a long term issue? Fact is he inherited a terrible roster and some recruits that don't fit his coaching needs and he has every right to try and improve the situation. If he's bailing on recruits 2 years from now then maybe there is something to that, but until then you do come off more scorned than logical.
This is my thoughts exactly. Lucia’s recruiting was terrible the last few years and it’s led to the up and down (at best) performance on the ice. Bob has every right to bring in the players he thinks can play his style of hockey and make the team better. He didn’t promise these kids anything, Lucia did. Most, if not all, will end up at other D1 programs where they’ll get a portion, or all, of their education paid for and get to enjoy the college hockey experience. Good luck to them, hopefully they’ll use it as motivation to elevate their game even higher.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:06 am

Murph wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:25 am
McGregor was going to be traded from Sioux Falls. He didn't like that option so he quit. Literally packed up and quit on the spot and said he's done playing hockey. This all happened before anything was pulled by the U. How do i know? I have a relative that plays on the team that knows him. Junior hockey is a hard life. Sioux Falls is likely one of the better places to play as far as experiences for the boys. They get 10,000 fans each night. The Stampede are a big deal down there. To from there to some of the other teams can be a letdown regardless of wins/losses.
No question that getting dealt like a poker chip will sour the junior experience. For Mr. McGregor that would have been 3 teams in 1 year (Bloomington, Sioux Falls, Team X). There is asshats at junior that will trade just for the sake of trading. Absolute grind for sure and the kids who play 3 years of junior (plus) is amazing resilience. Playing that many games dealt like a piece of meat, well bottom line you should get paid for that type of profession. Totally understand if a kid decided to bunch it and would not judge in the least.
I hope Lucas McGregor returns to a D3 lineup should he decide to still want to play hockey in the future. 25 games, academic balance and darn fun to play for enjoyment of the game. If not all the best to the young man in which ever endeavor he decides to pursue in life.