New Sheriff in 8AA??

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

northwoods oldtimer

New Sheriff in 8AA??

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Shep's must have been all abuzz after the 9-2 vicotry over flannel friendly Lumberjacks from the Bemidji lakes area.
Can this be the year the pulp peelers of warrior lore break through the 8AA gauntlet and arrive in tact at St. Paul?!
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
karl(east)

Re: New Sheriff in 8AA

Post by karl(east) »

They may arrive "intact," but I doubt they'll arrive "in tact." :lol: :wink:
Syd Barrett

Post by Syd Barrett »

Their may have been a buzz or too at Shep's last night after the big win over the young Lumberjacks but the Wizard of Aus still hasn't figured out how to peel the Spuds as evidenced by Tuesday nights thrashing of the Worriors.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

In all likelihood it will come down to good goaltending at the end.

Moorhead right now is the definite favorite.

Brainerd has a very good team (how many twins, triplets, brothers on this team).
Roseau will contend.
And St Mikes, Buffalo, St Cloud will be lurking.
And if Bemidji matures and a goaltender settles in...
And Rogers is 2 and 0.

Looks like FUN!

:D
northwoods oldtimer

Syd Barrett wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:45 am Their may have been a buzz or too at Shep's last night after the big win over the young Lumberjacks but the Wizard of Aus still hasn't figured out how to peel the Spuds as evidenced by Tuesday nights thrashing of the Worriors.
Boys might have thought they could get a mulligan to replay and hit the fairway against the Spuds. #-o
Who the heck scheduled the rematch for last game of the season?
No doubt some overpaid public servant with zero focus on the importance of MN puck priority! :P :P

BRING BACK ARCHIE, BRING BACK ARCHIE, BRING BACK ARCHIE !! [-o<
Syd Barrett

Post by Syd Barrett »

No doubt some overpaid public servant with zero focus on the importance of MN puck priority! :P :P
Probably the same Braintrust that canned Archie after bringing the Worriors to the Section finals 2 times in three years [-X
northwoods oldtimer

I see Syd!
'Rapidly Declining' is infested with such critters as well.
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:20 am
Syd Barrett wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:45 am Their may have been a buzz or too at Shep's last night after the big win over the young Lumberjacks but the Wizard of Aus still hasn't figured out how to peel the Spuds as evidenced by Tuesday nights thrashing of the Worriors.
Boys might have thought they could get a mulligan to replay and hit the fairway against the Spuds. #-o
Who the heck scheduled the rematch for last game of the season?

BRING BACK ARCHIE, BRING BACK ARCHIE, BRING BACK ARCHIE !! [-o<
Anybody know when the seeding vote is? Hopefully this game isn’t after it. There were 8AA sections games after the vote last year.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Wednesday- February 13, 2019
Seeding by Coaches Vote

This game would be the night before...

We are still in November and the tension mounts...
northwoods oldtimer

karl(east) wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:23 am They may arrive "intact," but I doubt they'll arrive "in tact." :lol: :wink:
Haha indeed the pen is mightier than the sword Karl. I stand corrected.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Never trust Brainerd come playoff time. They are the Minnesota Vikings of 8AA. Also, this is a team that Moorhead just spanked 5-1, so I don’t think the traditional sheriff is too worried at this point.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Luc Laylin with 6 goals and 1 assist last night..

Fun player to watch
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

MrBoDangles wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:33 am Luc Laylin with 6 goals and 1 assist last night..

Fun player to watch
Do you think he will still be at SM-A next year? Or move on to juniors?
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

elliott70 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:38 am
MrBoDangles wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:33 am Luc Laylin with 6 goals and 1 assist last night..

Fun player to watch
Do you think he will still be at SM-A next year? Or move on to juniors?
I would say juniors
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Moorhead over Buffalo 4-0.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

At this point it looks like Moorhead
With a scramble for second and a fight for 4th.
northwoods oldtimer

elliott70 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:44 am At this point it looks like Moorhead
With a scramble for second and a fight for 4th.
Title changed until somebody can knock the Spuds off the the top of the 8AA heap.
You can do it Worriors!!
northwoods oldtimer

Re: New Sheriff in 8AA??

Things got turned upside down last night in Section 8AA with the 6-2 poleaxing of the Spuds at the hands of the Rams.
Hope springs eternal for teams trying to knock off the king of the hill Sputniks.
I need a ruling does 6-2 loss equate to a woodshed schooling?
Have been using the term quite liberally in late 2018.
If so, the RAMS took ol' Meerhead out back to the woodshed and let er rip.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:29 am Things got turned upside down last night in Section 8AA with the 6-2 poleaxing of the Spuds at the hands of the Rams.
Hope springs eternal for teams trying to knock off the king of the hill Sputniks.
I need a ruling does 6-2 loss equate to a woodshed schooling?
Have been using the term quite liberally in late 2018.
If so, the RAMS took ol' Meerhead out back to the woodshed and let er rip.
I am waiting on the details..
story behind the story.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Looks like Gunderson had hattie for Rams

Spuds changed out goalies, but neither did well on saves

Bus legs, and a hot home team?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Talking to people AA and A from around...
Talk is section 8AA belongs to Brainerd or Roseau.

Moorhead is the dark horse.

Last night Moorhead - Roseau clash was straight up Roseau playing better.
Roseau is always a goal up on yo on their ice.

Moorhead has
Dec 14 at Benilde-St. Margaret's
Sat, Dec 15 at Minnetonka
Fri, Dec 21 at Greenway/Nash-Kee
Sat, Dec 22 at Grand Rapids

Let's see what these games bring before we pass judgement.

Roseau:
Fri, Dec 14 vs. Buffalo
Sat, Dec 15 vs. Rogers
Thu, Dec 20 at Bemidji

Brainerd:
Thu, Dec 20 vs. Alexandria
Fri, Dec 21 at Grand Rapids
Sat, Dec 22 vs. Centennial
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

I would say that bus legs/not being ready was definitely a factor for Moorhead. Roseau came out and dominated the first roughly 12 minutes of the game. At one point the shots were like 14-3 and Roseau had 4 goals. Moorhead made a push the last 5 minutes as usually happens in these types of games to bring the shots closer to even. Lee stood tall however. Second period was more even. Moorhead pushed at times but I still would have said Roseau had the slightly better play and tacked on two more. Moorhead got two what I would consider garbage time PP goals in the third. Credit to Roseau for seemingly learning their lesson on Friday against Rapids and not loosing focus/letting off the gas with a lead.

That being said everything seemed to go right for Roseau tonight. I would expect a much closer game the second time around. Wouldn't surprise me to see either team win. Moorhead is also dealing with new to varsity goalies so some inconsistency is to be expected, at least to start. We will see if one can emerge as reliable and consistent as the season wears on. That being said it would have been a tall task to hold Roseau to 1 and pull out the 2-1 victory. Roseau generated quality chances.

A theme that seems to be emerging in this section is the top end talent for several of the teams but not a whole lot of depth. STMA with Laylin and Flammang. Roseau with Huglen, Huglen, Gunderson. Buffalo with the Braccini brothers. Bemidji to a lesser extent with Hunter Olson. And I would put Moorhead in this category as well. If Kleven (whom I was impressed with), HH, and Gramer aren't producing I am not sure who is going to. It could be a fluke game last night and they could get better but I wasn't impressed with the second set of D or the 2-3 lines. That same observation of the top needing to produce would apply to all of the teams mentioned above. If that doesn't happen it will likely be a poor night for any of these teams. Brainerd is maybe a little different story with not such a pronounced drop off but also it doesn't appear like they have any real high end D1 type of players either.

This observation leads me to believe that the name of the game/strategy to follow in 8AA is to figure out how to shut down a couple of players. A lot of these teams don't have enough to consistently produce after that. We will see if that rings true the rest of the year or not. Should be fun.
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

I would also add that it is early in the year and too much emphasis shouldn't be placed on one game.
northwoods oldtimer

7TIMECHAMPS wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:16 am I would say that bus legs/not being ready was definitely a factor for Moorhead. Roseau came out and dominated the first roughly 12 minutes of the game. At one point the shots were like 14-3 and Roseau had 4 goals. Moorhead made a push the last 5 minutes as usually happens in these types of games to bring the shots closer to even. Lee stood tall however. Second period was more even. Moorhead pushed at times but I still would have said Roseau had the slightly better play and tacked on two more. Moorhead got two what I would consider garbage time PP goals in the third. Credit to Roseau for seemingly learning their lesson on Friday against Rapids and not loosing focus/letting off the gas with a lead.

That being said everything seemed to go right for Roseau tonight. I would expect a much closer game the second time around. Wouldn't surprise me to see either team win. Moorhead is also dealing with new to varsity goalies so some inconsistency is to be expected, at least to start. We will see if one can emerge as reliable and consistent as the season wears on. That being said it would have been a tall task to hold Roseau to 1 and pull out the 2-1 victory. Roseau generated quality chances.

A theme that seems to be emerging in this section is the top end talent for several of the teams but not a whole lot of depth. STMA with Laylin and Flammang. Roseau with Huglen, Huglen, Gunderson. Buffalo with the Braccini brothers. Bemidji to a lesser extent with Hunter Olson. And I would put Moorhead in this category as well. If Kleven (whom I was impressed with), HH, and Gramer aren't producing I am not sure who is going to. It could be a fluke game last night and they could get better but I wasn't impressed with the second set of D or the 2-3 lines. That same observation of the top needing to produce would apply to all of the teams mentioned above. If that doesn't happen it will likely be a poor night for any of these teams. Brainerd is maybe a little different story with not such a pronounced drop off but also it doesn't appear like they have any real high end D1 type of players either.

This observation leads me to believe that the name of the game/strategy to follow in 8AA is to figure out how to shut down a couple of players. A lot of these teams don't have enough to consistently produce after that. We will see if that rings true the rest of the year or not. Should be fun.
@7TIMECHAMPS that is what I witnessed as well out of the Rams. The ol' Jerry Burn's killer instinct to finish off a team. Thought the Rams had really good skilled players on the top two lines for sure and when playing with intensity they are formidable foe as any in the north land.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

7TIMECHAMPS wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:16 am I would say that bus legs/not being ready was definitely a factor for Moorhead. Roseau came out and dominated the first roughly 12 minutes of the game. At one point the shots were like 14-3 and Roseau had 4 goals. Moorhead made a push the last 5 minutes as usually happens in these types of games to bring the shots closer to even. Lee stood tall however. Second period was more even. Moorhead pushed at times but I still would have said Roseau had the slightly better play and tacked on two more. Moorhead got two what I would consider garbage time PP goals in the third. Credit to Roseau for seemingly learning their lesson on Friday against Rapids and not loosing focus/letting off the gas with a lead.

Good stuff there. I appreciate the insights about the game and also on the section as a whole. Your statements about lack of depth on the 8AA teams seems to be spot on. We’ll see if anyone can develop more depth or at least turn their top line into an unstoppable force.