Goals Against

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

edgeless2

Goals Against

Post by edgeless2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 pm

I’ve been watching MN High School Hockey for over 20 years. I can’t remember a team, Tonka, not give up more than 2 goals in any game. Anyone comparable?

Stang5280

Re: Goals Against

Post by Stang5280 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Andover likewise has not given up more than two goals in a game. Their goals against average was 0.79 coming into tonight, and they gave up only a single goal to Maple Grove. Fritsinger is a brick wall.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:34 am

No offense to Andover, because I think they have a legitimate shot at State, but the schedules are no comparison. Not to mention In games vs same opponents Andover has just gotten by teams for their signature wins while Tonka has rolled. I will say this I think Tonka will definitely give up more than 2 goals in the remaining gauntlet of a schedule they have, and probably lose 1 or 2. I just can’t recall a better defensive team this far into the season. The schedule makers did us a huge favor in that Andover and Tonka battle head to head. Any other defensive stalwarts that come to mind in the past 10 or so years?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:32 am

Tonka has best goalie in state, and top D pair who are also their leading scorers. When is last time that occurred? They also have ten kids with at least 10 points at the halfway mark.

Andover has 2nd best goalie, and very strong D as well with Kaiser a top 5 IMHO and Wolfe not far behind , and 9 kids with 9 or more points, including a couple who are possibly/arguably better pure snipers than anyone on the Skips

Both have beaten DEast and Maple Grove.

Should be an interesting HDM!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 am

WestMetro wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:32 am
Tonka has best goalie in state, and top D pair who are also their leading scorers. When is last time that occurred? They also have ten kids with at least 10 points at the halfway mark.

Andover has 2nd best goalie, and very strong D as well with Kaiser a top 5 IMHO and Wolfe not far behind , and 9 kids with 9 or more points, including a couple who are possibly/arguably better pure snipers than anyone on the Skips

Except it is going to be 5 below zero.....

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 am

edgeless2 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:34 am
No offense to Andover, because I think they have a legitimate shot at State, but the schedules are no comparison. Not to mention In games vs same opponents Andover has just gotten by teams for their signature wins while Tonka has rolled. I will say this I think Tonka will definitely give up more than 2 goals in the remaining gauntlet of a schedule they have, and probably lose 1 or 2. I just can’t recall a better defensive team this far into the season. The schedule makers did us a huge favor in that Andover and Tonka battle head to head. Any other defensive stalwarts that come to mind in the past 10 or so years?
I don't know what Lakeville North's GAA was, but that was the best Defensive team I've seen in my lifetime. Everybody talked about their offense but they were absolutely loaded on the back end plus the elite Goalie. Probably the best team since the Jefferson Juggernauts in the early 90's.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 am

elliott70 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 am
WestMetro wrote:

Just hoping ice conditions are GOOD...kids can always bundle up. I’ve heard rumblings that since it’s HDM both coaches have agreed NOT to play largely two lines in this game (a gentleman’s agreement) so at least 5x5 we may not get the best predictor of how these two teams will match up should both advance to Xcel ☝️Should be a great game and nice to see an exceptional NW Suburban team get the opportunity to play in this game 👍

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 am

hockey59 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 am
elliott70 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:47 am
WestMetro wrote:

Just hoping ice conditions are GOOD...kids can always bundle up. I’ve heard rumblings that since it’s HDM both coaches have agreed NOT to play largely two lines in this game (a gentleman’s agreement) so at least 5x5 we may not get the best predictor of how these two teams will match up should both advance to Xcel ☝️Should be a great game and nice to see an exceptional NW Suburban team get the opportunity to play in this game 👍
Artificial ice plant is up and running - the Pittsburgh Penguins ice guy is in charge - unless it rains or gets really warm the ice will be great.

And no bad weather (other than cold) is predicted.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 am
edgeless2 wrote:
I don't know what Lakeville North's GAA was, but that was the best Defensive team I've seen in my lifetime. Everybody talked about their offense but they were absolutely loaded on the back end plus the elite Goalie. Probably the best team since the Jefferson Juggernauts in the early 90's.
A little bit older, but the Centennial 2003-04 team had amazing defense and goaltending. That was the group that won state with three straight shutouts. They only gave up 34 goals the whole season en route to a 30-1 record. The 2001 Elk River championship team with Paul Martin also comes to mind.

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:18 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:
A little bit older, but the Centennial 2003-04 team had amazing defense and goaltending. That was the group that won state with three straight shutouts. They only gave up 34 goals the whole season en route to a 30-1 record. The 2001 Elk River championship team with Paul Martin also comes to mind.
Sorry Stang, wrong year. Martin wasn't on the '01 champ team. He was on the team that took third in state in '99.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:25 pm

blueline_6 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:43 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Sorry Stang, wrong year. Martin wasn't on the '01 champ team. He was on the team that took third in state in '99.
Thanks for the correction. For some reason I wrongly associated Martin with the championship team, probably because it was ER’s only title despite their excellence throughout that timeframe.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:
That was BEFORE the Cougars were admitted to the NW Suburban conf too and were playing a JOKE regular season schedule.☝️Still was a great team...but shutting out the likes of St Francis & St Louis Park (I believe twice each season) 😉🤣

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:27 pm

I disagree to a point. That Centennial team was the best defensive team I’ve seen over a full year. I understand the schedule argument but they rolled through state against the best the state had to offer, if I’m not mistaken. The Undefeated North team was so good offensively, I think it’s a tough comparison. When you play 80% of the game in the O-Zone it’s hard to say how stout the back end was though they had the tendy. Did he win the Brimsek that year?

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:01 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:05 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

That was BEFORE the Cougars were admitted to the NW Suburban conf too and were playing a JOKE regular season schedule.☝️Still was a great team...but shutting out the likes of St Francis & St Louis Park (I believe twice each season) 😉🤣
Yes, the conference schedule was pathetic and obviously contributed heavily to the low overall GAA. But I went and reviewed some of their regular season non-conference wins, which included:
WBL 5-0
HM 6-2
DEast 8-2
Holy Angels 4-3
Wayzata 4-2
Moorhead 3-1

The last four all made the state tournament, and in fact Centennial had rematches against three of them, shutting out AHA in the quarters 2-0, Wayzata in the semis 3-0, then Moorhead 1-0 for the title. I remember attending that tourney, and it was truly one of the most dominating displays of defense I have seen at the HS level.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Indeed that was a memorable, if slightly boring, tournament, and I doubt if any team will ever repeat the three shutout performance

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:33 am

edgeless2 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:27 pm
I disagree to a point. That Centennial team was the best defensive team I’ve seen over a full year. I understand the schedule argument but they rolled through state against the best the state had to offer, if I’m not mistaken. The Undefeated North team was so good offensively, I think it’s a tough comparison. When you play 80% of the game in the O-Zone it’s hard to say how stout the back end was though they had the tendy. Did he win the Brimsek that year?
In regards to the LVN team, its easy to say it's a tough comparison because of how good they were offensively. But if you look @ their defensemen from that year, three of them have/will play D1 hockey (McNeely, Sadek and Pehrson), Seper played a year at St. Marys, and Altavilla probably could have played D1 hockey but was an even better baseball player, now playing D1 baseball at Nebraska.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:36 am

bardown27 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:33 am
edgeless2 wrote:
In regards to the LVN team, its easy to say it's a tough comparison because of how good they were offensively. But if you look @ their defensemen from that year, three of them have/will play D1 hockey (McNeely, Sadek and Pehrson), Seper played a year at St. Marys, and Altavilla probably could have played D1 hockey but was an even better baseball player, now playing D1 baseball at Nebraska.
Agree on Altavilla. That would put their top 4 D as D1 players and a 5th at D3. Plus the top goalie. Has another team ever matched that? They had no weakness, just no way to beat them. I believe they were the best High School team of all time.

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:36 am
bardown27 wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:
Agree on Altavilla. That would put their top 4 D as D1 players and a 5th at D3. Plus the top goalie. Has another team ever matched that? They had no weakness, just no way to beat them. I believe they were the best High School team of all time.
I wouldn't say best high school team of all time. '93 Jefferson (undefeated) should definitely hold that title. Look at the list of guys from that team that went D1 of D3:

D3: Jeff Heil, Tim McDonald, Luke Murray, and Cort Lundeen

D1: Mark Parrish, Nick Checco, Mike Crowley, Mike Anderson, Mike Skogland, Brian LaFleur, Ian Petersen, Josh DeWolf, Joe Bianchi, Dusty Anderson, and Randy Koeppl

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
bardown27 wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:
C’mon Jeffy, that’s like saying 2007 Hermantown was the best single a team of all time 😉😂 The Jefferson team where Dan Trebil was a Senior, Crowley a Junior & Parrish was a sophomore 3rd liner is BEST of all time...well call them AA! =D>

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:46 pm

And this team(s) need to be considered
22-0-0
and the next year 22-0-0

And over 5 years 99-6-4, 4 state champs and a runner-up (lost in OT).

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
bardown27 wrote:

I wouldn't say best high school team of all time. '93 Jefferson (undefeated) should definitely hold that title. Look at the list of guys from that team that went D1 of D3:

D3: Jeff Heil, Tim McDonald, Luke Murray, and Cort Lundeen

D1: Mark Parrish, Nick Checco, Mike Crowley, Mike Anderson, Mike Skogland, Brian LaFleur, Ian Petersen, Josh DeWolf, Joe Bianchi, Dusty Anderson, and Randy Koeppl
I can't give you an argument on that one. Very familiar with those teams but forgot they had that many D1 guys. Unreal.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:11 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:46 pm
And this team(s) need to be considered
22-0-0
and the next year 22-0-0

And over 5 years 99-6-4, 4 state champs and a runner-up (lost in OT).
Eveleth????

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:45 pm

Not to divert from the thread subject, but my spreadsheet has a few other teams with 11 or more D1s,
( Karl how does list matchup with your files?)

15 - 1982 Edina (First year of recombined East and West)
13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina (East)
12 2014 Edina
12 2015 Edina
11- 1975 Grand Rapids

I think 2015 LVN would also be up to 11 if you counted Alti, (and what is Tommy Klans status)

Agree that Jags 93 season and dynasty was unmatched in modern era. A few teams have come close for an individual season team including LVN

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 am

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:45 pm
Not to divert from the thread subject, but my spreadsheet has a few other teams with 11 or more D1s,

13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina (East)
12 2014 Edina
12 2015 Edina
11- 1975 Grand Rapids

I think 2015 LVN would also be up to 11 if you counted Alti, (and what is Tommy Klans status)

Agree that Jags 93 season and dynasty was unmatched in modern era. A few teams have come close for an individual season team including LVN
Without having updated any of my numbers since the start of the current season, this looks about right. North looks like it will top out at 10, assuming everything goes according to plan.

GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:42 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 am
WestMetro wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:45 pm

13 - 1976 Grand Rapids
12 - 1996 Duluth East
12 - 1977 Edina (East)
12 2014 Edina
12 2015 Edina
11- 1975 Grand Rapids

Without having updated any of my numbers since the start of the current season, this looks about right. North looks like it will top out at 10, assuming everything goes according to plan.
North probably tops out at 9 D1 players:

3 Poehlings
Max Johnson
Taylor Schneider
Keaton Pehrson
Jack Sadek
Jack McNeely
Ryan Edquist