The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HHawks4Ever

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by HHawks4Ever » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:44 pm

FINAL: 3-3 Tie against Minnetonka - great game!

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Hermantown just tied Minnetonka, the undefeated, #1 with-a-bullet, defending Class AA champ. The same Tonka team that beat East 5-2 a week ago. The same Tonka team that has now beaten 7AA teams DE, GR, ER, DM, and CEC by a combined 25-6!!!

The Hawks are the first team all season to score more than 2 goals vs the Skippers.

Hermantown decision makers, you can not only compete just fine with any team in 7AA, but you can compete with any team in AA. Please stop depriving your players of the chance to play against the best in the state. This idiotic, self-serving, trophy-chasing Class A charade has to end.

Sincerely,
Every HS hockey fan in the state.

LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:21 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:45 pm
Hermantown just tied Minnetonka, the undefeated, #1 with-a-bullet, defending Class AA champ. The same Tonka team that beat East 5-2 a week ago. The same Tonka team that has now beaten 7AA teams DE, GR, ER, DM, and CEC by a combined 25-6!!!

The Hawks are the first team all season to score more than 2 goals vs the Skippers.

Hermantown decision makers, you can not only compete just fine with any team in 7AA, but you can compete with any team in AA. Please stop depriving your players of the chance to play against the best in the state. This idiotic, self-serving, trophy-chasing Class A charade has to end.

Sincerely,
This...

Dog

Post by Dog » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:23 pm

kniven wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 pm
hockey59 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:14 pm
Well...the lowly small enrollment single”a” hawks take on the AA MINNETONKA juggernaut in the cold, icy hawk barn Saturday...based on the class each plays in...you’d think this was some sort of david vs GOLIATH matchup 😉🤣☝️
Not even close. Hermantown is very good, and consistent over the last 20 years. I hope those boys can get the 218 a victory tomorrow versus a metro giant!
I think they're offering a sarcasm 101 course at the community college. You should enroll in it...

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Obviously...a team that just tied the defending AA State Champions...a Tonka team that still haven’t lost a game in 2 years (literally the last 45-46 games) when #3 for Tonka Leudtke actually plays...a team like that..DEFINITELY needs to stay in single a 😉 [-X =D>

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 pm

rainier2 wrote:

Sincerely,
They don't care. This isn't Roseau, Rapids or Cloquet. The team has no community boundaries. It's not going to change.
Last edited by Jeffy95 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:12 am

Who is "they"?

I think you are on record for "not attacking" and it seems like this is a pretty attacking tone. "No Community Pride" and "kids achieve nothing". :roll: I am sure the great people who support the teams they have beaten really feel good about that comment. I think this thread just jumped the shark.

Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:06 am

rainier2 wrote:

Sincerely,
BINGO AND SPOT ON!!

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 am

rainier2 wrote:

Sincerely,
I think this argument "Please stop depriving your players of the chance to play against the best in the state" is (in my opinion) the only valid reasoning for them to move up. If I was in their shoes, I would probably be lobbying hard to move up. However, they do get to play against the best in the state... just not in the state tournament. All the other chatter, name calling and accusations are just noise to me. There is no mechanism or rules to force them to move up. It would have to be their own community pushing for it. I do know some Hermantown people who would love to see them move up. I would guess some players would love to move up. I think we know some coaches would love to move up. But a handful of decision makers are holding it up. So, please, can we stop attacking the whole community and Hermantown hockey in general??

boxscoretimes3

Post by boxscoretimes3 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:34 am

HHawks4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:44 pm
FINAL: 3-3 Tie against Minnetonka - great game!
What a game. This is the first Hermantown game I saw this year. Hermantown's Biondi maybe the best player I've seen in a while. Great comeback for the Hawks.

Bigfoot12

Post by Bigfoot12 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:49 pm

What do any of you people outside of Hermantown stand to gain by them moving up. Is it that you cannot compete with them and need them out of your way. Hermantown 20 years ago was the laughing stock of Duluth area hockey, a team where players could pad there stats. Now that the program has improved you all want to bad mouth the players and parents for hard work.Yes some players and parents move in, as they do all over the state (see greenway with 5 this year, 1 from Ohio recruited). You should be proud of you own program and try and make it better instead of wasting your time bashing other programs

Dog

Post by Dog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:24 pm

Bigfoot12 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:49 pm
What do any of you people outside of Hermantown stand to gain by them moving up. Is it that you cannot compete with them and need them out of your way. Hermantown 20 years ago was the laughing stock of Duluth area hockey, a team where players could pad there stats. Now that the program has improved you all want to bad mouth the players and parents for hard work.Yes some players and parents move in, as they do all over the state (see greenway with 5 this year, 1 from Ohio recruited). You should be proud of you own program and try and make it better instead of wasting your time bashing other programs
Bigfoot, or whatever your user name is this week, that is a typical response from a Hermantown parent and why the level of respect for what you've accomplished, is diminishing.
You guys bring up Greenway because this is the one year that they "5 this year".... That's a down year for your program when you have only five.
You think other people aren't proud of their programs and trying to make them better? It's hard to make your program better when you lose your top end talent to a program that not so long ago complained about a St Thomas goalie coming from "out of state (WI)!" "Its just not fair" Do you remember your Dear Leader saying that?
Do you have a recent transplant from WI?
Some of the biggest loathing of Hermantown that I've seen on this site has mostly come from people at East, Rapids and Cloquet. What do they have to gain by you moving up? Are they not proud progams?
It's not about Hermantown, or what they've rightfully accomplished. It's about what this continued cycle of pulling in other talent from the area because you play a AA schedule (until it really counts), then you opt down so you can guarantee a kid that he'll be on TV at the end of the year.
Most people care what the "Hermantown model" is doing to hockey itself and other hockey programs in the area. They'd be the first to applaud you if you moved up and you'd be surprised how many would root for you when you got to St Paul as a AA team (something you most likely would have done in one or two of the last 3 years).

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Dog wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:24 pm
Bigfoot12 wrote:
Bigfoot, or whatever your user name is this week, that is a typical response from a Hermantown parent and why the level of respect for what you've accomplished, is diminishing.
You guys bring up Greenway because this is the one year that they "5 this year".... That's a down year for your program when you have only five.
You think other people aren't proud of their programs and trying to make them better? It's hard to make your program better when you lose your top end talent to a program that not so long ago complained about a St Thomas goalie coming from "out of state (WI)!" "Its just not fair" Do you remember your Dear Leader saying that?
Do you have a recent transplant from WI?
Some of the biggest loathing of Hermantown that I've seen on this site has mostly come from people at East, Rapids and Cloquet. What do they have to gain by you moving up? Are they not proud progams?
It's not about Hermantown, or what they've rightfully accomplished. It's about what this continued cycle of pulling in other talent from the area because you play a AA schedule (until it really counts), then you opt down so you can guarantee a kid that he'll be on TV at the end of the year.
Most people care what the "Hermantown model" is doing to hockey itself and other hockey programs in the area. They'd be the first to applaud you if you moved up and you'd be surprised how many would root for you when you got to St Paul as a AA team (something you most likely would have done in one or two of the last 3 years).
100% correct. But instead of facing the facts it's so much easier to say, "They want us out of the way."

I would also point out that Hermantown was 2nd in State 20 years ago. (1998). Is that what you call a laughing stock? Do facts mean anything to you people? And people don't have to move in, they can just open enroll and take a different bus to school. Iron Range teams don't have that little luxury to, "make their teams better."

Bigfoot12

Post by Bigfoot12 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:40 pm

How long does a player need to be with a program to be considered not a transfer, the WI kid has been at Hermantown for 5 years and is now a soph. Who else besides Pierce moved in sooner than that. People move all the time. P.s. I have never changed my user name. And have never been negative about kids or programs

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:24 pm

I gotta think that most posters on this thread have nice big bruises on their foreheads from banging on the same wall for years and years. I tell my own kids and people who work for me to never worry about things outside your control.

Lets break this down:

For at least 5-6 years people have been screaming bloody murder on this forum about Hermantown and nothing has changed. So, after 5-6 years of no results and just rehashing the same accusations and arguments, people are still coming on here to blast Hermantown and unload their venom.

I guess, it is just a release of frustration? Probably better than punching a wall. If you are from Hermantown, just skip this thread.

P.S. I am not from Hermantown. I have never changed my name. I am from a Class A town that may have stolen a game from HT last spring and it was such a great ride. I was glad they were in the tournament as without them? It would not have been as fun. Peace out!

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:20 pm

zooomx wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:24 pm
I gotta think that most posters on this thread have nice big bruises on their foreheads from banging on the same wall for years and years. I tell my own kids and people who work for me to never worry about things outside your control.

Lets break this down:

For at least 5-6 years people have been screaming bloody murder on this forum about Hermantown and nothing has changed. So, after 5-6 years of no results and just rehashing the same accusations and arguments, people are still coming on here to blast Hermantown and unload their venom.

I guess, it is just a release of frustration? Probably better than punching a wall. If you are from Hermantown, just skip this thread.

P.S. I am not from Hermantown. I have never changed my name. I am from a Class A town that may have stolen a game from HT last spring and it was such a great ride. I was glad they were in the tournament as without them? It would not have been as fun. Peace out!
8)

Dog

Post by Dog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Bigfoot12 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:40 pm
How long does a player need to be with a program to be considered not a transfer, the WI kid has been at Hermantown for 5 years and is now a soph. Who else besides Pierce moved in sooner than that. People move all the time. P.s. I have never changed my user name. And have never been negative about kids or programs
Your math is off, he came in as a 7th grader, not earlier and was solely a hockey move. Hermantown folks make these moves sound so organic. His move and the other one you mentioned weren't. Do people move? Sure. But his dad called me and at least one other program asking about hockey programs in the area and what it would take to come over. I fealt uncomfortable with the conversation and told him he'd have to check with the school or the AD. Looks like Hermantown "won" that one.

Two top-end type, solid players coming in just before HS so they are eligible. Your top line at bantams last year was with kids from Proctor, Hayward and Ely.
Single A hockey used to be about small schools (or medium ones that are rebuilding), not ones that reloaded every year with top end talent from other programs.

And yes, you were "negative" (if an open discussion can be called that) , saying that other people dont have pride in their programs and pointing at Greenway. The comment about Greenway recruiting did make me laugh though, just because of the irony of it. I've heard that a lot this year: bringing up Greenway, from Hermantown people. They're just following your model so why would you be upset by it?

As far as your recent username: I honestly dont know, just going on what others have said. So am I or they wrong? Maybe. If I'm wrong, sorry. The moderator would have to answer that but it really doesn't matter what you're posting under but more the "we don't care" attitude.

People have a problem with what you're doing bringing in talent from all over because it's bad for hockey.
Hermantown is not going to move up, it's already been decided. And yes, no amount of complaining is going to change that fact unless it comes from within. That doesn't mean though that others can't openly disagree with your decision.
If you're right about it.... and it's not just about trophy chasing, then why get so hurt?

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Bigfoot12 wrote:
Bruce Plante spent a lot of time bashing other programs when his Hawks were losing to STA and Breck. Did you let him know this was unacceptable?

Don't you think the Hermantown players are incensed that they don't get to compete at the highest level just because a handful of Hermantown decision makers are more interested in a guaranteed trip to state? Do you think these kids enjoy being every bit as good as any team in AA yet are never given a chance to prove it when it matters? Don't you think they ask themselves: "Why were we good enough to play AA at youth, but not in HS, especially when we are as good as the AA champ every year?"

The only people bashing the Hermantown players and program are the Hermantown decision makers that keep this farce going. They don't think their players are good enough to compete in AA, despite the players proving them wrong every year. Talk about a slap in the face.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:53 am

Dog wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm
Bigfoot12 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:40 pm
Your math is off, he came in as a 7th grader, not earlier and was solely a hockey move. Hermantown folks make these moves sound so organic. His move and the other one you mentioned weren't. Do people move? Sure. But his dad called me and at least one other program asking about hockey programs in the area and what it would take to come over. I felt uncomfortable with the conversation and told him he'd have to check with the school or the AD. Looks like Hermantown "won" that one.

Two top-end type, solid players coming in just before HS so they are eligible. Your top line at bantams last year was with kids from Proctor, Hayward and Ely.

Single A hockey used to be about small schools (or medium ones that are rebuilding), not ones that reloaded every year with top end talent from other programs.

People have a problem with what you're doing bringing in talent from all over because it's bad for hockey.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:11 pm

If Hermantown ever did go AA, the Hermantown vs. Duluth East would become an instant rivalry! Hopefully they would play a home and away series every year.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am

Awesome program and many things to be proud of... but disgraceful to schedule the toughest in youth and HS.. then drop way down for a tournament trophy...

It's time.. Hermantown..! :shock: :idea:

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:06 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am
Awesome program and many things to be proud of... but disgraceful to schedule the toughest in youth and HS.. then drop way down for a tournament trophy...

It's time.. Hermantown..! :shock: :idea:
I am not sure how accurate LPH is with their rankings but they can't be too far off.
This is the bantam AA, in peewee AA Htown is 12 behind DEast at 8.
Rankings don't always translate well, but based on what Hermantown has coming back (assuming Biondi stays), it would seem now is the time.

Three (potential) 7AA teams at 15, 18 & 19 with DEast and Elk River lurking somewhere, it would make for a great section competition.
Throw in CEC, Marshall and FLake it would be the best top to bottom section.

1 Edina
2 Osseo/Maple Grove
3 Wayzata
4 Prior Lake/Savage
5 St. Paul Capitals
6 Lakeville South
7 Eden Prairie
8 Sibley
9 Stillwater
10 Chaska/Chanhassen
11 Champlin Park
12 Rosemount
13 Lakeville North
14 Centennial
15 Grand Rapids
16 Minnetonka
17 St. Michael-Albertville
18 Andover
19 Hermantown
20 Roseau

Yoopskater

Post by Yoopskater » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 am

If the court of public opinion says that Hermantown needs to move up because of incoming transfers, then every team that accepts transfers should move up. Otherwise you are just penalizing success.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:47 pm

Yoopskater wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 am
If the court of public opinion says that Hermantown needs to move up because of incoming transfers, then every team that accepts transfers should move up. Otherwise you are just penalizing success.
The transfers are only the tiniest tip of the iceberg. Hermantown needs to move up because:

2016-beat AA champ Wayzata
2017-beat AA champ GR
2018-played AA champ Tonka tough in 5-3 loss
2019-tied undefeated AA favorite Tonka

They play and compete well at AA all throughout youth hockey.

They play a AA-heavy HS schedule.

Have gone to state 9 years in a row, including 8 straight A title games, and have 3 A titles in the last 11 years, which would have been several more had a certain metro private not been sandbagging at an even higher level. They have nothing left to accomplish in Class A.

They are a suburban school in a metro area who gets plenty of open enrollees and transfers.

The grand patriarch of their program (Plante) complained publicly on a yearly basis about how metro teams that get kids from all over shouldn't be in Class A beating up on small community teams. Many hawk fans and parents said the same thing.

Mark Parrish, Lou Nanne, and Mike McGraw have all stated on TV that Hermantown should move up to AA.

Hermantown's current head coach has stated publicly that they should be in AA.

The players deserve the opportunity to compete against teams of their same caliber in the postseason, not just during regular season and in youth hockey.

Moving to AA is a promotion, not a penalty.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Hermantown vs Duluth East would instantly become the very best rivalry in the state (and it wouldn’t be close). These games would have to be played at Amsoil, which they woul sell out every time.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️