7AA 2018-2019

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Re: 7AA 2018-2019

Post by karl(east) »

East's win over Grand Rapids looks better in the box score than it did on the ice, but once again they did a good job of pounding away after some early struggles; that seems to be this team's MO. Yet another new set of line combinations tonight for the Hounds (outside of Lyle-Anderson-Jones, which appears to be set, and deserves to be with how it's playing). Their puck possession game is probably second only to Minnetonka's, and the cycle was really rolling tonight, but for all the control and 50-odd shot games, it has its stretches where it's not really serving much purpose other than setting up shots from a distance into the goalie's chest. When they start to press with a little more urgency, things start looking a lot better.

Rapids is maybe a step or two away from being a pretty good team. Peart had himself a nice night and Clafton certainly came up big at times, but they just don't have the punch up front yet to really control the puck to the level they'd need to in order to be a consistent threat against high-end teams. We'll see if they can grab the 4-seed in 7AA with a strong finish (I guess 3 isn't totally out of the question if Cloquet lays any eggs), and if they get through the first round they'll have at least some shot at an upset at Amsoil if enough goes right.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Andover with an impressive road win 4 (en) - 1 over MG tonight. Aside from Tonka (haven’t yet seen Edina) Andover is the quickest skating team I’ve seen this year. Playing on the Olympic sheet tonight against young, talented MG, lots of up & down action, but Andover had the better of the play. MG has a nice foursome of youngsters in Kukkinen, Janicke, Nelson & Weinke, but Andover is a senior & junior dominated team & it showed. Both goalies played well. Andover has a really good team - PERIOD...the 218 will be facing a challenge not seen since 2015 ER...in defending its section berth in 2019 ☝️
kniven

Post by kniven »

hockey59 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 pm Andover with an impressive road win 4 (en) - 1 over MG tonight. Aside from Tonka (haven’t yet seen Edina) Andover is the quickest skating team I’ve seen this year. Playing on the Olympic sheet tonight against young, talented MG, lots of up & down action, but Andover had the better of the play. MG has a nice foursome of youngsters in Kukkinen, Janicke, Nelson & Weinke, but Andover is a senior & junior dominated team & it showed. Both goalies played well. Andover has a really good team - PERIOD...the 218 will be facing a challenge not seen since 2015 ER...in defending its section berth in 2019 ☝️
Andover is going to fall hard after they lose in the quarterfinals or semifinals at Amsoil. Elk River and Andover hockey could do some great things together in group therapy for teams that get their arises kicked by 218 routinely and/or they are afraid to play. #clownsAreScary
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

kniven wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:10 pm
hockey59 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 pm Andover with an impressive road win 4 (en) - 1 over MG tonight. Aside from Tonka (haven’t yet seen Edina) Andover is the quickest skating team I’ve seen this year. Playing on the Olympic sheet tonight against young, talented MG, lots of up & down action, but Andover had the better of the play. MG has a nice foursome of youngsters in Kukkinen, Janicke, Nelson & Weinke, but Andover is a senior & junior dominated team & it showed. Both goalies played well. Andover has a really good team - PERIOD...the 218 will be facing a challenge not seen since 2015 ER...in defending its section berth in 2019 ☝️
Andover is going to fall hard after they lose in the quarterfinals or semifinals at Amsoil. Elk River and Andover hockey could do some great things together in group therapy for teams that get their arises kicked by 218 routinely and/or they are afraid to play. #clownsAreScary
I love ❤️ your enthusiasm kniven...but you might wanna actually watch Andover play in person...they are not your typical ER choke job team 😉😮
Duluth_Topper

Post by Duluth_Topper »

I can confirm that Marshall is staying AA next year.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Duluth_Topper wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 pm I can confirm that Marshall is staying AA next year.
:)
kniven

Post by kniven »

Should be an interesting night in Cloquet tonight. Grand Rapids has a ton of confidence playing the Jacks
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

kniven wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:07 pm Should be an interesting night in Cloquet tonight. Grand Rapids has a ton of confidence playing the Jacks
I am going with the (fake) Lumberjacks.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Yes. The home team will probably win in each of these games. CEC goes to Grand Rapids the last game of the regular season
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

kniven wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:24 pm Yes. The home team will probably win in each of these games. CEC goes to Grand Rapids the last game of the regular season
Nonsense. [-X
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

hockey59 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:11 pm

I love ❤️ your enthusiasm kniven...but you might wanna actually watch Andover play in person...they are not your typical ER choke job team 😉😮
Ok, I'll take a little nibble for the 21 metro-hater trolls as it is evident you miss the Elkoholic banter! :lol:

First off, call it a choking if you will as I am sure the losses had nothing to do with the winning teams skill level, playing hard for the entire game, coach playing first line to much early in the game so they are gassed at the end of the game, mad scientist coach that has his team ready for sections like no other coach in the state, enthusiasm of home crowd, pucks going in the net, or goalies making saves. Nope, it was just a choke job several years in a row because they were afraid to play. #-o

Secondly, glad to see Randover is having success with St. Franny transplants, enjoy the ride now that the program has finally reached a competetive level. Oh and remember, Dover hasn't ever won a championship game at Amsoil, so until they actually do, might just want to temper expectations a little. It is a very hard venue to win two games at. I sincerly hope this is the year for them, or maybe next year as it would awesome to see someone other then FEast or rapidly declining representing section 7. Dover is a very good team and has a great opportunity in front of them, but personally knowing the distraught players face in not meeting those expectations is very hard, especially a few years in a row. Don't choke!

Lastly, I will leave you with a little factoid. Going back as far as the 2005 - 2006 season (and my be longer), the visiting team in the DE/Elk match up has not won. (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this as this is from memory). Now I am sure DE hasn't won at ER arena as the lobby is to small, or they just couldn't resist the delicious chocolate chip cookies while watching the JV game and got to much of a sugar high! I'm sure that streak will come to an end in February when the hounds goal scoring jugernaught visits the mamouth program in the north metro that has under 40 kids tryout for HS program for many years!!!! I heard there are free cookies for DE player this year!

Disclaimer - This has no ill intent and is meant in jest
NMPuck85

Post by NMPuck85 »

The biggest injustice is the fact that DE is allowed to practice for two weeks prior/during sections on the tourney sheet of ice at Amsoil. How does MSHL allow that in a so called "neutral site" game?
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

The 2017 ER team was totally in control against GR midway thru the 3rd period, until an ill timed penalty and a shot that was going wide, but the goalie played it & it deflected in off him...THEN the dam broke and they were defeated by a team of “destiny”. In 2015 though...ER was up 3-0 midway thru the title game, to a DE team that was plucky, but not great, and while I realize a MORONIC major penalty by a 4 year letterman opened the door for DE...still...that game is one where the Elks essentially kicked it to the curb...plain & simple☝️
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

MWS coach wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Ok, I'll take a little nibble for the 21 metro-hater trolls as it is evident you miss the Elkoholic banter! :lol:

First off, call it a choking if you will as I am sure the losses had nothing to do with the winning teams skill level, playing hard for the entire game, coach playing first line to much early in the game so they are gassed at the end of the game, mad scientist coach that has his team ready for sections like no other coach in the state, enthusiasm of home crowd, pucks going in the net, or goalies making saves. Nope, it was just a choke job several years in a row because they were afraid to play. #-o

Secondly, glad to see Randover is having success with St. Franny transplants, enjoy the ride now that the program has finally reached a competetive level. Oh and remember, Dover hasn't ever won a championship game at Amsoil, so until they actually do, might just want to temper expectations a little. It is a very hard venue to win two games at. I sincerly hope this is the year for them, or maybe next year as it would awesome to see someone other then FEast or rapidly declining representing section 7. Dover is a very good team and has a great opportunity in front of them, but personally knowing the distraught players face in not meeting those expectations is very hard, especially a few years in a row. Don't choke!

Lastly, I will leave you with a little factoid. Going back as far as the 2005 - 2006 season (and my be longer), the visiting team in the DE/Elk match up has not won. (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this as this is from memory). Now I am sure DE hasn't won at ER arena as the lobby is to small, or they just couldn't resist the delicious chocolate chip cookies while watching the JV game and got to much of a sugar high! I'm sure that streak will come to an end in February when the hounds goal scoring jugernaught visits the mamouth program in the north metro that has under 40 kids tryout for HS program for many years!!!! I heard there are free cookies for DE player this year!

It seemed like one left franny then a bunch followed back in the day... How many went to Andover and what lines are they on?
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

hockey59 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:42 pm The 2017 ER team was totally in control against GR midway thru the 3rd period, until an ill timed penalty and a shot that was going wide, but the goalie played it & it deflected in off him...THEN the dam broke and they were defeated by a team of “destiny”. In 2015 though...ER was up 3-0 midway thru the title game, to a DE team that was plucky, but not great, and while I realize a MORONIC major penalty by a 4 year letterman opened the door for DE...still...that game is one where the Elks essentially kicked it to the curb...plain & simple☝️
Thanks for the stroll down nightmare lane, I remember both of those games oh to well as my son was on both of those teams.... Yep, in 2015 when DE scored first goal during the major penalty and the house erupted, I turned to the person next to me and said "Hounds are going to win this game".
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

MrBoDangles wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:03 pm

It seemed like one left franny then a bunch followed back in the day... How many went to Andover and what lines are they on?
Sorry Bo, not going to post that on a blog, no ill intent toward those players, just poking the bear a little. They moved during last year of mites as 4th graders as Franny wouldn't allow them to move up to squirts. They have been in Andover since first year of squirts as 4th graders.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

THANKS ALOT FOR BRINGING UP THE 2015 SECTIONALS AT AMSOIL. EAST SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE STANDS FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. THEY GOT DOMINATED BY RAPIDS IN THE SEMI'S. THE IMPOSSIBLE SAVES BY THE EAST GOALIE AND THE 80 FOOT WRIST SHOTS THE RAPIDS GOALIE LET IN WERE A NIGHTMARE THAT NOW LIVES ON THANKS TO YOU. SLEEP WELL MY BOY. :evil:
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

MWS coach wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:48 pm
hockey59 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:42 pm The 2017 ER team was totally in control against GR midway thru the 3rd period, until an ill timed penalty and a shot that was going wide, but the goalie played it & it deflected in off him...THEN the dam broke and they were defeated by a team of “destiny”. In 2015 though...ER was up 3-0 midway thru the title game, to a DE team that was plucky, but not great, and while I realize a MORONIC major penalty by a 4 year letterman opened the door for DE...still...that game is one where the Elks essentially kicked it to the curb...plain & simple☝️
Thanks for the stroll down nightmare lane, I remember both of those games oh to well as my son was on both of those teams.... Yep, in 2015 when DE scored first goal during the major penalty and the house erupted, I turned to the person next to me and said "Hounds are going to win this game".
Now you got me all nostalgic. I need to dig that DVD out and watch it again tonight. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
kniven

Post by kniven »

east hockey wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:58 pm
Now you got me all nostalgic. I need to dig that DVD out and watch it again tonight. :mrgreen:

Lee
nice 🤓
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

kniven wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:56 pm
east hockey wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Lee
nice 🤓
Enjoy!!!!!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

hadenuf wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:17 pm THANKS ALOT FOR BRINGING UP THE 2015 SECTIONALS AT AMSOIL. EAST SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE STANDS FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. THEY GOT DOMINATED BY RAPIDS IN THE SEMI'S. THE IMPOSSIBLE SAVES BY THE EAST GOALIE AND THE 80 FOOT WRIST SHOTS THE RAPIDS GOALIE LET IN WERE A NIGHTMARE THAT NOW LIVES ON THANKS TO YOU. SLEEP WELL MY BOY. :evil:
More like East got dominated for one period after Rapids spent the better part of two periods being pretty thoroughly flummoxed by the 2-3 forecheck, but I appreciate the trip down memory lane nonetheless. :lol: :wink:

It is indeed true that East hasn't won at ER in a long time, though they didn't play each other in the regular season for a couple of year toward the start of this decade when the talent gap between the two was at its largest (outside of last season). Even in 2015, which was by far East's worst regular season over that stretch, they did muster a pretty competitive tie down in Elk River. There have only been three meetings in ER this decade: 2010 (a 3-2 Elks win in which they were heavily outshot), the 2015 tie, and ER's comfortable win in 2017, in a season when they were clearly better.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

MWS coach wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:53 pm
MrBoDangles wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Sorry Bo, not going to post that on a blog, no ill intent toward those players, just poking the bear a little. They moved during last year of mites as 4th graders as Franny wouldn't allow them to move up to squirts. They have been in Andover since first year of squirts as 4th graders.
I'm just curious of the number that made it to varsity.. no names needed at all.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

karl(east) wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:18 pm
hadenuf wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:17 pm THANKS ALOT FOR BRINGING UP THE 2015 SECTIONALS AT AMSOIL. EAST SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE STANDS FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. THEY GOT DOMINATED BY RAPIDS IN THE SEMI'S. THE IMPOSSIBLE SAVES BY THE EAST GOALIE AND THE 80 FOOT WRIST SHOTS THE RAPIDS GOALIE LET IN WERE A NIGHTMARE THAT NOW LIVES ON THANKS TO YOU. SLEEP WELL MY BOY. :evil:
More like East got dominated for one period after Rapids spent the better part of two periods being pretty thoroughly flummoxed by the 2-3 forecheck, but I appreciate the trip down memory lane nonetheless. :lol: :wink:

It is indeed true that East hasn't won at ER in a long time, though they didn't play each other in the regular season for a couple of year toward the start of this decade when the talent gap between the two was at its largest (outside of last season). Even in 2015, which was by far East's worst regular season over that stretch, they did muster a pretty competitive tie down in Elk River. There have only been three meetings in ER this decade: 2010 (a 3-2 Elks win in which they were heavily outshot), the 2015 tie, and ER's comfortable win in 2017, in a season when they were clearly better.
I especially enjoyed the back to back OT wins Rapids put on the Hounds in there home rink. That was PRICELESS!!!!!!! :P
Have to dig out the DVD's over the HD weekend =D>
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

Putting moronic in caps is still an understatement of how stupid that penalty was, especially considering he had literally just come out of the penalty box from serving a minor for kneeing. #-o

I wonder if the Altmann's send PJ a Christmas card every year.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

High School hockey is an emotional sport by its very nature, was when I played back in the late 1970’s & still is today...especially during sections...it effects different players different ways...controlling those emotions is easier with experience, but it’s what players & collectively really goods teams...are able to do. Cloquet is a dangerous team because they have enough experienced players to beat many teams, but have been inconsistent pretty much all season. DE really hasn’t hit on all cylinders from the get go (the WBL game) but are an experienced DEEP team. Andover has a talented team, especially on the back end & did play in a section final last year. ER has 4 really good players, 2 forwards & 2 D, but then really drop off compared to the last 5 years. GR is a young team, with potential for 2020. ☝️