North Star Academy-Alexandria

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Re: North Star Academy-Alexandria

Post by elliott70 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks guys.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:38 pm

I see they beat Shattock again today.

moosepaw

Post by moosepaw » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 pm

I think this should be moved to the AAA board this is not HS hockey, it is also not junior A hockey it’s a prep/ midget league that really nobody reLyy cares even their own league doesn’t care if you look at their unupdated website.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 pm

moosepaw wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 pm
this is not HS hockey, it is also not junior A hockey it’s a prep/ midget league
It is not MSHSL, but it certainly is high school hockey. Just like New England Prep schools and other places.

You may be right that it could be in another place since it is apart from and not a part of "Minnesota High School Hockey" like most of the discussion here.
Be kind. Rewind.

moosepaw

Post by moosepaw » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:38 am

Can we put the FCA in the the AAA midget chat room it’s not high school it’s midget hockey that most of the country the website for FCA is unimpressive to say the least

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:17 am

One can also just ignore the thread since it is not of interest to them.
Be kind. Rewind.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:31 am

moosepaw wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 pm
I think this should be moved to the AAA board this is not HS hockey, it is also not junior A hockey it’s a prep/ midget league that really nobody reLyy cares even their own league doesn’t care if you look at their unupdated website.
Hurts you when Monti loses a couple... but then all good when recruiting in yearly foreign exchange ringers... nice.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:42 am

The thread started on how North Star Academy would affect high school hockey in Alexandria and the surrounding area. Yes, it has kind of morphed now that the season has started, but there are still some questions as to what is going to happen with this team and the area in the next couple of years.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:42 am

BSUBeaver wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:42 am
The thread started on how North Star Academy would affect high school hockey in Alexandria and the surrounding area. Yes, it has kind of morphed now that the season has started, but there are still some questions as to what is going to happen with this team and the area in the next couple of years.
Agreed. Obviously it is of interest to high school fans for the reasons stated above.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:15 pm

It's interesting, they have a nice 21-7-2 record. Ranked #6 and just beat the #1 team . Good for them. Any animosity towards kids playing high school hockey is misplaced and yes, this is the appropriate forum for any conversation concerning North Star Academy....

oldshad77

Post by oldshad77 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Not to take anything away from North Star, but the Shattuck team they beat is not the top AAA team at the school. The Shattuck Midget AAA team they beat is ranked 102. The top team at Shattuck (Prep Team) is ranked 2.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:19 pm

The North Star Academy U18 ended up winning the NAHL Prep Division Tournament Championship this past weekend in MIchigan.

Saturday, North Star 8, St. Rita 0
Saturday, North Star 7, Lake Tahoe Academy 0
Sunday, North Star 8, Prairie Hockey Academy 2
Sunday, North Star 4, Fountain Valley 0
Monday, North Star 8, Pilot Mound 2

According to the North Star website, the Knights are 28-7-3 after this past weekend and have 17 games remaining.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:52 pm

Congrats for having nice season, the competition is very weak to say the least.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:13 pm

minnscout wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:52 pm
Congrats for having nice season, the competition is very weak to say the least.
For sure. They had a great inaugural season and should have no trouble playing at the MPHL Prep level. It'll be interesting to see how they schedule going forward.

https://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2018&a=4&v=495
Be kind. Rewind.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:25 pm

North Star Academy announces that they will be starting a 16U program next season.

https://www.echopress.com/sports/hockey ... AWDUE-sPL8

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:48 pm

I'd like to see them against Gentry's 03 u16. Not sure if it would be to pretty, but it is cool to see the sport spreading and growing more support state and country wide.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:25 pm

Duckguy13 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:48 pm
I'd like to see them against Gentry's 03 u16. Not sure if it would be to pretty, but it is cool to see the sport spreading and growing more support state and country wide.
Interesting matchup. I think they played Gentry's 15 team last year.

NorthStar is up to #10 in the MyHockey rankings. It is amazing how quickly they've ramped.
Be kind. Rewind.

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:53 pm

Interesting that these thoughts come up once a year for about 3 weeks. I just looked back at the trail and realized this thread was just getting re-uped. Yes Monticello lost some guys but it's still growth of of our loved sport....however only time will tell how a school or team like this will survive or grow long term. Obviously it hasn't hurt Monticello or Alexandria too too much.

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:54 pm

Interesting that these thoughts come up once a year for about 3 weeks. I just looked back at the trail and realized this thread was just getting re-uped. Yes Monticello lost some guys but it's still growth of of our loved sport....however only time will tell how a school or team like this will survive or grow long term. Obviously it hasn't hurt Monticello or Alexandria too too much.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:23 am

Duckguy13 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:54 pm
I believe Alexandria only lost two guys to the team. It will be interesting to see what effect the U16 team does to the high school ranks in the area. I think the FCA aspect of the program throws a pretty wide net around the country, so it is an appealing program to those in other parts of the country looking for a higher level of play.

Puck8

Post by Puck8 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:26 am

Duckguy13 wrote:
Yes Monticello lost some guys but it's still growth of of our loved sport....however only time will tell how a school or team like this will survive or grow long term. Obviously it hasn't hurt Monticello or Alexandria too too much.
Amen!
I’ve always believed that although the MN HS model is the best overall model for development for the masses, it’s not a one-size-fits-all. With growth of the Tier 1/AAA programs, it’s awesome for some folks to have options where it’s a better fit (who am I to judge or know what’s best for someone else?). Growth of the sport through multiple options raises the bar. Think of it this way - when a player leaves an association for a program like NS, they open up new opportunity for themselves. They also presumably leave an open spot for a player in their association to have an opportunity at HS.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:12 pm

BSUBeaver wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:23 am
I think the FCA aspect of the program throws a pretty wide net around the country, so it is an appealing program to those in other parts of the country looking for a higher level of play.
This has proven to be the case! They will continue to attract enough quality players to keep it going. Kudos to them.
Be kind. Rewind.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:13 pm

Duckguy13 wrote:
The FCA aspect of the program has created a big buzz nationwide. They continue to get more interest from stronger players. I think they will survive just fine. If you think of it this way: You are a parent of a very talented youth hockey player and you have made the decision to send your child to a junior program somewhere in the US. If you and your spouse are strong Christians, you may be nervous about some of the junior team options. Northstar is in Minnesota, in a medium sized town with a strong Christian presence. The coaches and staff are all in on helping your kid grow spiritually first, and on the ice second. It would be very appealing to much of our population.

In terms of affecting Alex... you are right, it hasn't affected them much. Before this all came down my take was that only an occasional player from Alexandria would play for Northstar. For one thing, it is getting to be very difficult to make the team with the incoming talent. Secondly, Alex has a pretty healthy program with solid leadership at the youth levels. A lot of these kids want to play together. The two kids that left Alex HS for Northstar would have left for a different junior program (or a private) if Northstar wasn't here. Right now there is a pretty good relationship between all hockey groups now that the dust has settled. Northstar has provided much needed ice time for the youth programs, and indoor turf for a ton of other athletic groups. There are a host of people who are involved with both Northstar and Alex Youth hockey, yet have their kids play for Alex High School. Right now it is a pretty good thing for all involved.

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:16 pm

I’ve heard it’s been a big boost to add another sheet of ice in the town as it was hard to come by at the main rink. Also heard they’re building a third rink attached to the two they have at the fairgrounds so they’ll have 4 indoor arenas. Seems that program is growing well