Top 5 Goaltenders

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

between_the_pipes

Top 5 Goaltenders

Post by between_the_pipes » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:31 pm

As we’re nearly halfway through the second half of the 2018-2019 season, I thought I’d share my thoughts on the top 5 goaltenders in the state. Many who haven’t played the position may miss or underappreciate the technical aspect and other skills of these young netminders, which I use to determine their ability. In my opinion, the position today has evolved more than any other position in the game of hockey. Goaltenders are typically some of the most athletic, competitive, dependable and hardest working players. So with that, hats off to all of these young stars.

1.) Charlie Glockner – Minnetonka. The 6’2’’ senior goaltender has started every game for the Skippers this season, posting a 15-0-1 record, .938 save percentage and a 1.26 goals against average. Having one of the toughest schedules in the state makes the numbers he has posted to be nothing short of impressive. For those who will attribute part of this success to the fact that he has a better team in front of him – I disagree, and this past weekend shows as the Skippers were out shot in both games. As the most active puck playing goaltender in years, he allows his defense to move the puck up quicker and limit pressure in the defensive zone. Glockner’s quick movement allows for him to remain in positon to face shots and place rebounds into the corners. In my opinion, he is the front runner for the Frank Brismek Award.
2.) Ben Fritsinger – Andover. The senior goaltender is one of the calmest, controlled, and unshakable goalies in the state. Leading the state in goals against average at 0.90, Fristsinger is a primary reason for Andover’s success this season. Usually, Fritsinger is capable of stopping any first shot as solid positioning simplifies his game. With a lighter schedule than many other teams, Fritsinger has shown his ability to play against anyone. Needless to say I’m excited for the goaltender battle on Hockey Day. Fritsinger is consistent game in and game out and provides his team with a chance to win any game. Fritsinger is another Brimsek nominee.
3.) Brennan Boynton – Champlin Park. The sole reason for one of the largest upsets in high school hockey history, the senior goaltender has proven his ability to compete against some of the states best players. Boynton holds Champlin Park’s most wins and has proven my point of goalies needing to be athletic. Digging into the .953 save percentage, it appears the senior has faced a number of shots from a few solid opponents (MG, DE, AND). One must ask, was the 83 shots against Maple Grove legitimate? I feel it may be a typo and skewing some of his statisctics. I wasn’t in attendance for the game but no doubt Boynton can play and makes the perfect case as to why the politics need to stay out of the game. As many have put it, an absolute shame to have been turned down from the Elite League.
4.) Lukas Haugen – Southwest Christian/Richfield. Some may find this as a surprise but Haugen is extremely technically sound and is able to keep his team in any game. Although the schedule Haugen faces isn’t particularly challenging I couldn’t keep him off the list with the numbers he’s been posting. Haugen’s quick glove and butterfly positioning makes it tough for the competition to sneak the rubber by. The loss to St. Francis (if stats are true) is a slight hiccup in an otherwise consistent schedule for the young goaltender.
5.) Bailey Huber – Holy Family. The Mahtomedi transfer is making his presence known for the Fire this season. In a rather softer schedule, Huber has started every game this season and has posted a .918 save percentage. Looking past the results from the Blaine game, as every goalie has to experience it, I have confidence that Huber will turn things around in his next start. Another technically sound goaltender and fluent movement on top of the crease. Good with rebound control from outside shots, and making the first save on in tight shots has been a key factor in posting these results. Huber provides a balance to the fire as the team is rather offensively talented, and they’re able to take chances knowing they have him in between the pipes.

O-townClown

Re: Top 5 Goaltenders

Post by O-townClown » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:43 pm

HM to a guy that has won all his starts, shows a GAA of 0.67, and has stopped 96.2% of the shots he's faced. :shock:
Be kind. Rewind.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:19 pm

Boynton and Daninger are the two I would roll with..

between_the_pipes

Post by between_the_pipes » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:47 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:19 pm
Assuming you're referring to the Brimsek...Boynton could be up for discussion, but I have trouble understanding why Daninger should be in the mix as he's had rather a little bit of inconsistency in performance for the tougher opponents in the schedule. Posted solid results against Andover and DE but hasn't seemed to accomplish much in the Centennial, EP, MG, and even Holy Family games. Think he's a top 10 goaltender but to be considered in top 3 not sure about that.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:06 pm

I think Huber at 5 is a bit generous after seeing him play a couple of times.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:29 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Daninger under rated

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:52 pm

I know next to nothing about goaltending, other than the fact that I wasn’t very good at beating them during my playing days :lol: But two that have caught my eye at the Class A level are, somewhat ironically, Ben Dardis, the replacement for Huber at Mahtomedi, and Jon Howe of Totino-Grace, who previously was Glockner’s backup At Minnetonka. They are basically complete opposites, as Dardis is very small and only a freshman, while Howe is a much larger senior. But both have been excellent in their own respects in leading their teams after unexpected departures of the incumbent goalies.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:55 pm

Largest upsets in high school hockey history....
Really?
In the history of high school hockey, more than 70 years,this is one of the top? State tournament, regionals....sections...this one was a top?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:46 am

between_the_pipes wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:47 pm
MrBoDangles wrote:
Assuming you're referring to the Brimsek...Boynton could be up for discussion, but I have trouble understanding why Daninger should be in the mix as he's had rather a little bit of inconsistency in performance for the tougher opponents in the schedule. Posted solid results against Andover and DE but hasn't seemed to accomplish much in the Centennial, EP, MG, and even Holy Family games. Think he's a top 10 goaltender but to be considered in top 3 not sure about that.
It's all about the quality of the shots a goalie is facing... Many times a goalie's stats are way inflated because they don't face many tough shots.

Not talking about Brimsek... Just who I know are the best. 😉

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:42 am

goldy313 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:55 pm
Really?
In the history of high school hockey, more than 70 years,this is one of the top? State tournament, regionals....sections...this one was a top?
"one of"
but, yeah...

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:16 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:42 am
goldy313 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:55 pm
Really?
"one of"
but, yeah...
I could probably name three worse East upset losses in the past 15 years, to say nothing of, you know, the entire rest of the state.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 pm

I believe Boynton and Howe , fellow Blades teammates last fall, will battle it out Thursday nite at CP

I find it interesting that 3 of these kids,- Glockner , Haugen, and Howe - all came up thru the Tonka system pretty much at the same time with the same coaches and huge statewide success , and are now having great success as seniors in different programs

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:51 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 pm
I believe Boynton and Howe , fellow Blades teammates last fall, will battle it out Thursday nite at CP

I find it interesting that 3 of these kids,- Glockner , Haugen, and Howe - all came up thru the Tonka system pretty much at the same time with the same coaches and huge statewide success , and are now having great success as seniors in different programs
Tonka had luxury of having one of the top goalie coaches in the country working with their goalies when he was at Impact for a number of years. No surprise the goalie tree has been big. FYI he still coaches top goalies in the state now but is coaching in the NHL now.

Northernlakes

Post by Northernlakes » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:32 am

3.) Brennan Boynton – Champlin Park. The sole reason for one of the largest upsets in high school hockey history, the senior goaltender has proven his ability to compete against some of the states best players. Boynton holds Champlin Park’s most wins and has proven my point of goalies needing to be athletic. Digging into the .953 save percentage, it appears the senior has faced a number of shots from a few solid opponents (MG, DE, AND). One must ask, was the 83 shots against Maple Grove legitimate? I feel it may be a typo and skewing some of his statisctics. I wasn’t in attendance for the game but no doubt Boynton can play and makes the perfect case as to why the politics need to stay out of the game.

" As many have put it, an absolute shame to have been turned down from the Elite League."

Elite league stinks, all about politics. Has been forever.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:56 am

Alex Kangas played at Minnesota but was cut from the the elite due to whom he played for, not on talent. That the elite league is about promoting who they want versus who is actually worthy is a common complaint. The name on the front of your jersey matters far more to the the elite league than anything else.

1excg

Post by 1excg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Re Tonka & goalies, in addition to the observations of Minnscout, WM & others here, a few years ago there were 12 bantam goalies. Twelve.

Tonka is a large program, but come on, 12!? bantam goalies? Maybe it’s the water ... I think it’s actually a combo of a good development program, an overall value of athletics & training, the culture & affluence- ability to afford the additional costs & specialized training for ‘tenders.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Almost on cue, here it is a
Hockey Hub article
about Boynton and how he has thrived despite being overlooked for opportunities like the elite league.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu May 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Northernlakes wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:32 am
3.) Brennan Boynton – Champlin Park. The sole reason for one of the largest upsets in high school hockey history, the senior goaltender has proven his ability to compete against some of the states best players. Boynton holds Champlin Park’s most wins and has proven my point of goalies needing to be athletic. Digging into the .953 save percentage, it appears the senior has faced a number of shots from a few solid opponents (MG, DE, AND). One must ask, was the 83 shots against Maple Grove legitimate? I feel it may be a typo and skewing some of his statisctics. I wasn’t in attendance for the game but no doubt Boynton can play and makes the perfect case as to why the politics need to stay out of the game.

" As many have put it, an absolute shame to have been turned down from the Elite League."

Elite league stinks, all about politics. Has been forever.
Heard he was tendered by the Brookings Blizzard of the NAHL, so one of them has found a home for next year so far.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Thu May 16, 2019 5:12 pm

between_the_pipes wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:31 pm
As we’re nearly halfway through the second half of the 2018-2019 season, I thought I’d share my thoughts on the top 5 goaltenders in the state. Many who haven’t played the position may miss or underappreciate the technical aspect and other skills of these young netminders, which I use to determine their ability. In my opinion, the position today has evolved more than any other position in the game of hockey. Goaltenders are typically some of the most athletic, competitive, dependable and hardest working players. So with that, hats off to all of these young stars.

1.) Charlie Glockner – Minnetonka. The 6’2’’ senior goaltender has started every game for the Skippers this season, posting a 15-0-1 record, .938 save percentage and a 1.26 goals against average. Having one of the toughest schedules in the state makes the numbers he has posted to be nothing short of impressive. For those who will attribute part of this success to the fact that he has a better team in front of him – I disagree, and this past weekend shows as the Skippers were out shot in both games. As the most active puck playing goaltender in years, he allows his defense to move the puck up quicker and limit pressure in the defensive zone. Glockner’s quick movement allows for him to remain in positon to face shots and place rebounds into the corners. In my opinion, he is the front runner for the Frank Brismek Award.
2.) Ben Fritsinger – Andover. The senior goaltender is one of the calmest, controlled, and unshakable goalies in the state. Leading the state in goals against average at 0.90, Fristsinger is a primary reason for Andover’s success this season. Usually, Fritsinger is capable of stopping any first shot as solid positioning simplifies his game. With a lighter schedule than many other teams, Fritsinger has shown his ability to play against anyone. Needless to say I’m excited for the goaltender battle on Hockey Day. Fritsinger is consistent game in and game out and provides his team with a chance to win any game. Fritsinger is another Brimsek nominee.
3.) Brennan Boynton – Champlin Park. The sole reason for one of the largest upsets in high school hockey history, the senior goaltender has proven his ability to compete against some of the states best players. Boynton holds Champlin Park’s most wins and has proven my point of goalies needing to be athletic. Digging into the .953 save percentage, it appears the senior has faced a number of shots from a few solid opponents (MG, DE, AND). One must ask, was the 83 shots against Maple Grove legitimate? I feel it may be a typo and skewing some of his statisctics. I wasn’t in attendance for the game but no doubt Boynton can play and makes the perfect case as to why the politics need to stay out of the game. As many have put it, an absolute shame to have been turned down from the Elite League.
4.) Lukas Haugen – Southwest Christian/Richfield. Some may find this as a surprise but Haugen is extremely technically sound and is able to keep his team in any game. Although the schedule Haugen faces isn’t particularly challenging I couldn’t keep him off the list with the numbers he’s been posting. Haugen’s quick glove and butterfly positioning makes it tough for the competition to sneak the rubber by. The loss to St. Francis (if stats are true) is a slight hiccup in an otherwise consistent schedule for the young goaltender.
5.) Bailey Huber – Holy Family. The Mahtomedi transfer is making his presence known for the Fire this season. In a rather softer schedule, Huber has started every game this season and has posted a .918 save percentage. Looking past the results from the Blaine game, as every goalie has to experience it, I have confidence that Huber will turn things around in his next start. Another technically sound goaltender and fluent movement on top of the crease. Good with rebound control from outside shots, and making the first save on in tight shots has been a key factor in posting these results. Huber provides a balance to the fire as the team is rather offensively talented, and they’re able to take chances knowing they have him in between the pipes.

1. Should get some USHL camp invites. Will likely play in the NAHL next year if he chooses. USHL unlikely.

2. Quit hockey

3. Brookings Blizzard tender - NAHL - next season.

4. A few NA3 teams have interest. Tier 3 most likely if he continues to play hockey. Big frame intrigues some.

5. Unsure. Heard he could play tier 2 in Canada - MJHL or stay here and play NA3. Small frame scares many.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu May 16, 2019 10:57 pm

Fritsinger quit hockey?

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Fri May 17, 2019 12:06 am

thefatcat wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:57 pm
Fritsinger quit hockey?
Yes.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri May 17, 2019 8:06 am

612hockeytown wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:12 pm
between_the_pipes wrote:

1. Should get some USHL camp invites. Will likely play in the NAHL next year if he chooses. USHL unlikely.

2. Quit hockey

4. A few NA3 teams have interest. Tier 3 most likely if he continues to play hockey. Big frame intrigues some.

5. Unsure. Heard he could play tier 2 in Canada - MJHL or stay here and play NA3. Small frame scares many.
Ultimately there are usually a handful or more goalies that come out of MN at each birth year as D1 commits, I think the 99 birth year is one of the largest with 7 D1 commits. It's always interesting to watch who shakes out of this for the goalie position.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Fri May 17, 2019 10:57 am

612hockeytown wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:06 am
thefatcat wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:57 pm
Fritsinger quit hockey?
Yes.
Wow, I'm kind of surprised. Does anyone know why he hung it up? Burnout?

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Fri May 17, 2019 12:17 pm

It’s not a secret to many - but it’s not suitable for an online forum board. Hoping the young man finds happiness in his new adventure.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Fri May 17, 2019 12:27 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:06 am
612hockeytown wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:12 pm
between_the_pipes wrote:

2. Quit hockey

Ultimately there are usually a handful or more goalies that come out of MN at each birth year as D1 commits, I think the 99 birth year is one of the largest with 7 D1 commits. It's always interesting to watch who shakes out of this for the goalie position.
99 was a relatively strong group as stated.
00 could have been strong and may turn out to be as many went non-traditional routes in major junior (Scott/Karki/DiLaura). Ullan is the only commit I believe?
01 I thought could be incredibly strong at their HP15 mark and through bantam elites, but really evened off (plateaued). Only 1 commit so far.
02 same as 01s. Showed a lot of promise at 15/16s. It’s really early for them, but not impressed by the depth so far. The good lads are pretty small framed, but hope to see them develop over the next 2-3 years. One of the best ones from the north (who shall remain nameless) chirped some pretty bad things at a few players I know and apparently his character was full of issues at a junior camp. No commits yet.
Last edited by 612hockeytown on Fri May 17, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.