BSM vs Chaska @ Mariucci (Koster injured)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

JerseyDave

BSM vs Chaska @ Mariucci (Koster injured)

Post by JerseyDave » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:27 pm

Live streams:
https://youtu.be/qMzagZbFW44 (CHBN's Ryan Paul and Greg Erickson announcing, no chat)
https://youtu.be/Thk0UUd_jB0 (MNHockey.TV's Pete Waggoner and Bart Archer, chat enabled)

Chaska up 1-0 in first period.
======
Update: Tied 1-1, after first period.
=======
BSM leads 2-1 after two periods.
========
Chaska leading 3-2 late in third period. Chaska's Mike Koster was hit hard and wasn't moving for a moment, but he's been taken off on his feet. Five-minute major for BSM player.
========
FINAL Chaska 4, BSM 2 (ENG)
=========
Here's video of Mike Koster's injury, although neither broadcast actually captured the hit on him:
CHBN: https://youtu.be/qMzagZbFW44?t=6632
MNHockeyTV: https://youtu.be/Thk0UUd_jB0?t=6179

CHBN: https://youtu.be/qMzagZbFW44?t=6833 (Koster helped off ice)

Chaska's Rhett Pitlick was taken out of the game in the first period after a hard hit too, but he came back and skated a shift before being gone for good. Both Koster and Pitlick are Gopher recruits, and the game was played at Mariucci. No word on how they're doing, but the announcers said to watch the Chaska reporter's Twitter feed for updates:
https://twitter.com/ChanChaskaSport
============
Here's an update on Koster and Pitlick. Thankfully, they both appear to be okay:
Eric Kraushar (@ChanChaskaSport)
"Mike is up and walking around. Came out of locker room with bandage on chin to chat with Coach Motzko. Already said he's playing Thursday :)
Pitlick stung on late hit behind net. Precaution"
5:41 PM - 11 Feb 2019
https://twitter.com/ChanChaskaSport/sta ... 0351123456
============
I think this might be the hit on Pitlick in the first period, although it's not behind the net. UPDATE: Pitlick was hit in these clips:
MNHockey.TV: https://youtu.be/Thk0UUd_jB0?t=145
CHBN: https://youtu.be/qMzagZbFW44?t=460

Here's the hit on Pitlick behind the net:
MNHockey.TV: https://youtu.be/Thk0UUd_jB0?t=381
CHBN: https://youtu.be/qMzagZbFW44?t=733
===============
Chaska also got a major penalty for Shane LeVelle's hit on BSM's James Callahan:
MNHockey.TV: https://youtu.be/Thk0UUd_jB0?t=5220
CHBN: https://youtu.be/qMzagZbFW44?t=5670
Last edited by JerseyDave on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

outdoorsuperstar

Re: BSM vs Chaska @ Mariucci (Koster injured)

Post by outdoorsuperstar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:50 pm

Did it look a little awkward when the Benilde player had to leave the ice and walk by Mr. Koester? The CHBN crew mentioned it

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Thankfully, Koster appears to be okay. Not sure he'll play Thursday though.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:14 am

Evidently Coach Pauly hasn't educated his players about the dangers of dirty, late hits along the boards and the serious injuries that could occur.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Link to game article:

"Boys Hockey: Big-time victory, big-time concern"
* Chaska loses top scorers Mike Koster, Rhett Pitlick in win at Mariucci
By Eric Kraushar scores@swpub.com
https://www.swnewsmedia.com/chaska_hera ... b498e.html

Hat Trick Take 2

Post by Hat Trick Take 2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:40 pm

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:14 am
Evidently Coach Pauly hasn't educated his players about the dangers of dirty, late hits along the boards and the serious injuries that could occur.
Pretty bad that BSM would target players given their injury history. It was clear that the strategy was to take players out of the game. Kind of shocking really. Shame on Ken Pauly for his win by any means necessary game plan. They are a good team that can compete without going to those extremes.

SquirtC'00

Post by SquirtC'00 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Hat Trick Take 2 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:40 pm
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Pretty bad that BSM would target players given their injury history. It was clear that the strategy was to take players out of the game. Kind of shocking really. Shame on Ken Pauly for his win by any means necessary game plan. They are a good team that can compete without going to those extremes.

I was at this game and I did not get that impression of BSM in this game IMO. I personally tend to side with the linesman on the ice who thought that was a clean hip check on Pitlick and I did not catch the Koster hit completely from my angle. I have seen BSM several times this year and they do tend to take a lot of penalties but not dirty ones.

outdoorsuperstar

Post by outdoorsuperstar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:17 pm

I am confused by some of the thinking here and the targeting of BSM and it's staff.

Chaska also received a five minute major - does that mean that Coach Snuggerud and his staff had a "win at all costs game plan"?

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:33 pm

I am confused by some of the thinking here and the targeting of BSM and it's staff.

Chaska also received a five minute major - does that mean that Coach Snuggerud and his staff had a "win at all costs game plan"?
I was thinking same thing. I'm not a Pauley fan but to bring back any reference to Jablonski and this game is shameful and is a grape fruit to gonads comparison. Hockey is a physical game, and penalties happen. if you look at the Penalty minutes of the kid who checked Koster, it isn't like he's a cheap player. Any team that plays Chaska in regions will play a physical game. It's hard to check someone you can't catch, but when you have a chance one time during a game to check them you do...with gusto and hopefully within the legal limits of today's rules. Two guys get injured in a game. It happens. I hope this isn't a sign of how their college careers will be at the U. I'm glad both will be able to play in regions. They are both a pleasure to watch. GB

6AAGuy

Post by 6AAGuy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:58 pm

I agree with the more balanced view of this. The tapes show that the Pitlick hit behind the net appears to be 50/50, so the ref was justified in calling a penalty. But if you listen to the commentators on MNHOCKEY feed, they suggest that hit, to them, appeared clean. Two different and plausible interpretations of the same hit. The Koster hit does not clearly appear on either tape (Chaska NW or MNHOCKEY) because it's lost in the corner. But from the games I've seen and the stats, the BSM player does not seem to have a history of these hits or dirty plays. Neither does the team. No one likes to see any kid get injured, period. But let's be careful not call out an entire team/game/staff/kid for targeting.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Chaska hit a BSM player clearly from behind (for a 5 minute major) earlier in the game--a justified call, but it'd be nonsense to call it part of Chaska's strategy.

I do hope and pray the Chaska boys are OK. Same goes for all of these amazing athletes as we enter playoffs.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 pm

With hindsight of video , I thought a couple BSM contacts were three striders where he had the kid lined up. One seemed well after puck contact. Major seemed justified. The Chaska major was justified, and was undisciplined at best, especially at that point in the game, only the Hawk kid knows if was retaliation or not. Will assume the Koster hit with no video angle was excessive from behind and avoidable, therefore DQ justified. Wonder how much refs knew tempers were flaring and could have/or did talk to coaches and capts at start of third , to avoid some of what occurred

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:56 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 pm
The Chaska major was justified, and was undisciplined at best, especially at that point in the game, only the Hawk kid knows if was retaliation or not.
I added links in the original post to video of Shane LeVelle's hit on BSM's James Callahan.
MNHockey.TV: https://youtu.be/Thk0UUd_jB0?t=5220
CHBN: https://youtu.be/qMzagZbFW44?t=5670

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:40 pm

GoldenBear wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:33 pm

I was thinking same thing. I'm not a Pauley fan but to bring back any reference to Jablonski and this game is shameful and is a grape fruit to gonads comparison. Hockey is a physical game, and penalties happen. if you look at the Penalty minutes of the kid who checked Koster, it isn't like he's a cheap player. Any team that plays Chaska in regions will play a physical game. It's hard to check someone you can't catch, but when you have a chance one time during a game to check them you do...with gusto and hopefully within the legal limits of today's rules. Two guys get injured in a game. It happens. I hope this isn't a sign of how their college careers will be at the U. I'm glad both will be able to play in regions. They are both a pleasure to watch. GB
A hit that draws a 5 minute major and ejection penatly clearly isn't within the legal limits of today's rules.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 am

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:40 pm
GoldenBear wrote:

A hit that draws a 5 minute major and ejection penatly clearly isn't within the legal limits of today's rules.
No but it doesn't automatically mean BSM were targeting Chaska players.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:02 am

The hit to BSM player ,Callahan, was much more dangerous then the other hits in the game. The hit to Callahan was worthy of a multi game suspension. As the player hits Callahan from behind (Chaska player has ample time to access the situation) he decides to run him from behind and extend both arms to give more power to the hit. No hits from behind are ok. The check behind the net is clean just unfortunately got hit hard by very good 9th grader.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 am

Hat Trick Take 2 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:40 pm
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Target player? Dont be such a fool. The worst hit in this game occurred by a Chaska player to #19 on BSM and it's not even debatable. I have scouted both teams multiple times this season and BSM plays a fast paced skill game just like Chaska, if anything the knock on BSM is not physical enough.
Hits from behind at the HS level is a major problem. The referees at the HS level are a major issue.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:30 am

minnscout wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:02 am
The hit to BSM player ,Callahan, was much more dangerous then the other hits in the game. The hit to Callahan was worthy of a multi game suspension. As the player hits Callahan from behind (Chaska player has ample time to access the situation) he decides to run him from behind and extend both arms to give more power to the hit. No hits from behind are ok. The check behind the net is clean just unfortunately got hit hard by very good 9th grader.
It’s obvious for quite some time you are a BSM fan, which is fine, but this post is nonsense. You’ve lost credibility in my eyes. Nobody on either team was targeting anybody for injury, and that includes the coaches on both sides. It was an emotional game both ways and refs lost control early. It’s sport and it happens. But to say the Lavelle hit (when he had the puck one second before and was fighting for position when BSM player cut in front of him) is worthy of a multi game suspension and that he had “time,” while the hit on Koster was somehow “clean” is ludicrous. Both of those calls were correct on the ice.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:30 am
minnscout wrote:
It’s obvious for quite some time you are a BSM fan, which is fine, but this post is nonsense. You’ve lost credibility in my eyes. Nobody on either team was targeting anybody for injury, and that includes the coaches on both sides. It was an emotional game both ways and refs lost control early. It’s sport and it happens. But to say the Lavelle hit (when he had the puck one second before and was fighting for position when BSM player cut in front of him) is worthy of a multi game suspension and that he had “time,” while the hit on Koster was somehow “clean” is ludicrous. Both of those calls were correct on the ice.
Never said the hit on Koster was clean, I was speaking about the hit on Pitlick. Never said anyone was targeting anyone either but Yes the hit on Callahan is absolutely atrocious. I know both coaches well and no way either would ever support trying to hurt any player. Need to do a better job reading the posts.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:53 am

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:40 pm
GoldenBear wrote:

Of course if a penalty is called it isn't within the legal limits of today's rules. A couple of other things I've discovered that you don't have to remind me of: If a goalie makes a save it isn't a goal; If the ref blows the whistle play should stop; If you play at braemar the nets will become dislodged many times by the Edina goalie and visiting moms will go ballistic; Playing at Fryberger is like playing an outdoor game on HDM in Bemidji; White Bear will never win a first round game at state; and black tape is great because goalies can't see the puck. GB

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:56 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
minnscout wrote:
And Yes Lavalle was trailing Callahan for 10+ feet before he ran him from behind.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:22 am

minnscout wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
minnscout wrote:
Never said the hit on Koster was clean, I was speaking about the hit on Pitlick. Never said anyone was targeting anyone either but Yes the hit on Callahan is absolutely atrocious. I know both coaches well and no way either would ever support trying to hurt any player. Need to do a better job reading the posts.
Apologies. Since your post was all about hits from behind I assumed you were speaking of the Koster hit. First hit on Pitlick was clean, the one behind the net certainly was not. He released the puck near the face off Circle and was hit behind the net. While most of my post was directed toward you, it was also my first post on this thread so I was giving my general two cents about the hysteria on both sides, that was why I mentioned that both coaches were not directing players to target others.

All of that said, there were several division 1 college head coaches in attendance and they were furious about one side’s hits, and it wasn’t Lavelle’s. Sorry.

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:35 am

I'm not sure which group subset of posts about the sketchy hits to quote so I will just make my comments on my own.

First, 10+ feet is a bit of a stretch. I would say 8-10 feet, and there was no open space between the two players, so it is more of a contact play than a big hit. Second, if you watch the BSM feet, he goes to stop about 2-3 feet from the boards, and the Chaska player was not planning on stopping. With there being no gap between the players, the Chaska momentum kept both players moving towards the boards, but BSM went over his feet and went into the boards.

I believe this should be a 5/10 boarding call. That's it. There was no intent to hit the player from behind, he went for a pin along the boards like had happened a minute earlier on the other side.

I can not speak to the Koester hit, as I was not at the game, and the videos don't show it, but you can see the BSM player watching Koester in the corner. I can't tell if it was supposed to be a pin yet again but it was not a bang-bang play nor was there any contact between the two prior to that hit. I agree with 5/Game for that hit.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:43 am

If NOTHING ELSE YOU FELLAS ARE PROVIDING AN AMUSING READ BETWEEN APPOINTMENTS.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 am

Leaving the penalty topic for a moment...

I will give a s/o to MinnScout on his preseason prediction that the Knights would be right in the
mix at the end of this season, and would not have to wait til next. These kids really came together as a team and also skill and grit increase faster than many anticipated

I am thinking at present they will be Section 6 favorite next year

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:25 am

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:22 am
minnscout wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:

Apologies. Since your post was all about hits from behind I assumed you were speaking of the Koster hit. First hit on Pitlick was clean, the one behind the net certainly was not. He released the puck near the face off Circle and was hit behind the net. While most of my post was directed toward you, it was also my first post on this thread so I was giving my general two cents about the hysteria on both sides, that was why I mentioned that both coaches were not directing players to target others.

All of that said, there were several division 1 college head coaches in attendance and they were furious about one side’s hits, and it wasn’t Lavelle’s. Sorry.
D1 coaches upset about one side's hits, that is funny. I am sure BM doesn't like seeing his Gophers being hit, that is what you mean to say. I was sitting amongst the scouts and non of the coaches said anything about any particular team and the hits. In fact they were really impressed with 9th graders ability to play physical. Lavalle was not trying to pin him, when you pin you wrap. He was flat out running the kid from behind.